PDA

View Full Version : Smokers

Jammin'
6/21/2011, 09:57 AM
So, any of you smokers going to stop now that the US is putting stupid **** on the side of the packages?

U.S. releases graphic tobacco warning labels

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Dead bodies, diseased lungs and a man on a ventilator were among the graphic images for revamped U.S. tobacco labels, unveiled on Tuesday by health officials who hope the warnings will help smokers quit.

Proposed in November under a law that put the multibillion-dollar tobacco industry under the control of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the new labels must be on cigarette packages and in advertisements no later than September 2012. They represent the first change in cigarette warnings in 25 years.

Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg were to discuss the nine new warnings at the White House. Images of the labels were released early Tuesday at http://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/Labeling/CigaretteWarningLabels/default.htm .

They show images that may disturb some, including one titled "WARNING: Cigarettes are addictive," illustrated with a photograph of a man smoking a cigarette through a hole in his throat.

Others messages point out the dangers of secondhand smoke to children, tobacco's causal link to fatal lung disease, cancer, strokes, heart disease and death.

More than 221,000 Americas will be diagnosed with lung cancer in 2011, accounting for about 14 percent of all cancer cases, according to the American Cancer Society. Nearly 157,000 men and women are expected to die from lung cancer this year.

Sebelius said their goal is to stop children from starting to smoke and offer adults who want to quit some help.

"We have about 4,000 people under 18 who try their first cigarette and about 1,000 of them become permanent smokers. And that's not good for our country," she told the CBS "Early Show."

"This is really aimed at making sure kids don't start in the first place."

The 2009 Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act called for cigarette packages to include warning statements in large type covering half of the front and back of each package and graphic images showing the health dangers of smoking.

The warnings are also to occupy the top 20 percent of every tobacco advertisement of companies such as Altria Group Inc's Philip Morris unit, Reynolds American Inc's R.J. Reynolds Tobacco unit and Lorillard Inc's Lorillard Tobacco Co.

The anti-smoking group Campaign for Tobacco Free-Kids said the images represent a dramatic change from current health warnings.

"The current warnings are more than 25 years old, go unnoticed on the side of cigarette packs and fail to effectively communicate the serious health risks of smoking," the group said.

R.J. Reynolds has challenged the legality of mandated larger and graphic warnings in a federal lawsuit.

A 1964 surgeon general's report that linked smoking to lung cancer and other diseases spurred a broad anti-smoking campaign and health warnings on cigarette packages.

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110621/ts_nm/us_tobacco_usa_warnings

NormanPride
6/21/2011, 09:59 AM
We saw this in England. Pretty shocking, but I don't think it actually stopped anyone from buying them. It might prevent people from starting, though...

MR2-Sooner86
6/21/2011, 10:00 AM
I look at those photos and I think of the D.A.R.E. and anti-drug campaigns of the 90's. We all know how well that worked.

SoCaliSooner
6/21/2011, 10:00 AM
If people stop smoking, how will states get the tobacco tax/settlement money that's used to fill holes in the budget?

HoserSooner
6/21/2011, 10:01 AM
We've had 'em up here now for as long as I can remember...doesn't seem to have had any impact. If you're going to smoke, you're going to smoke and you know the risks.

texaspokieokie
6/21/2011, 10:01 AM
it's been common knowledge since i was a kid, way back in early 50s,that
smoking is bad for your health.

back (60 yrs ago) cigarettes were referred to as "cancer sticks" & "coffin nails" ; so it's obviously not new.

only folks who didn't know this were ones suing tobacco companies.

The
6/21/2011, 10:41 AM
I used to smoke these:
http://www.bb-go.nl/weblog/files/blackdeath.jpg

They had a Skull & Crossbones on the damn filter. They were ****ing delicious.

But I don't smoke cigs anymore. ****ers.

KantoSooner
6/21/2011, 10:45 AM
I would call BS on this ad campaign, but then I remember the Yul Brenner ad. The one that started out, "If you're listening to this ad, I'm dead. And I died from smoking." Maybe must my age and stage, but it got my effing attention.

texaspokieokie
6/21/2011, 10:48 AM
i remember couple other actors with similar commercials, J.C.Flippen & William Talman. Hamilton Burger on Perry Mason.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/21/2011, 10:51 AM
Don't forget Carrot Top.

"If I roid out and start wearing make-up, blame smoking."

badger
6/21/2011, 10:58 AM
Our neighbors smoke and they said smokers from other countries seek out American cigarettes for their flavor apparently. We've perfected the taste of cigarette just in time for everyone to discover how unhealthy it is :P

I personally can't stand the smell and cringe every time I detect that a co-worker just finished lighting up outside. But, I've stopped nagging about the health dangers, the caringness about their wellbeing the desire for them to quit immediately. Nagging doesn't work, whether it comes from blondie badger or from a scary graphic on the carton.

1890MilesToNorman
6/21/2011, 11:01 AM
Jon Stewart already covered this.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-20-2011/new-york-city-outdoor-smoking-ban?xrs=share_copy

texaspokieokie
6/21/2011, 11:05 AM
My wife smokes & has probably for at least 50 years. She has regular (6 month) checks & is quite healthy. smoking doesn't kill everyone !!!

on the other hand, both my parents were heavy smokers & both had emphasema when they died.

The
6/21/2011, 11:06 AM
My wife smokes & has probably for at least 50 years. She has regular (6 month) checks & is quite healthy. smoking doesn't kill everyone !!!

on the other hand, both my parents were heavy smokers & both had emphasema when they died.

It's just an increased risk factor.

texaspokieokie
6/21/2011, 11:10 AM
It's just an increased risk factor.

there you go !!

also (JMHO) 2nd hand samoke isn't as bad as 1st hand. if you're out in the open, like in a park, it would take approximately 1ooo yrs for 2nd hand
smoke to affect you AT ALL.

NormanPride
6/21/2011, 11:10 AM
Some people don't need oxygen to live, I guess.