PDA

View Full Version : Did someone at Auburn screw this up?

Jacie
6/20/2011, 08:49 PM
Mon Jun 20

Good things come in threes: Auburn’s championship bling has arrived

By Matt Hinton

Back in 2004, Auburn was so hungry to commemorate its uncrowned, 14-0 season that it ordered up "National Champions" rings even when it wasn't the national champion according to the BCS or anyone else. So in response to the Tigers' actual national championship last year, it's no surprise that they decided to go all out on the jewelry:

Yes, according to the Twitter feed of wide receiver Emory Blake, that is not one but two "National Champions" rings to accompany the SEC championship ring, one of which includes what appears to be the Lombardi Trophy instead of the AFCA Coaches' Trophy that actually sits in the trophy case, but let's not split hairs here: That is some heavyweight swag that no doubt cost the university a very pretty penny in tough economic times. (Though, per NCAA rule, "no single award" for a national championship may exceed $415, or $325 for a conference championship. The rule also specifies that "each permissible awarding agency may provide only a single award for each championship to each student-athlete," which means Auburn is awarding both the BCS title and the Associated Press title with separate rings.) Over/Under on one of the rings' first appearance on eBay: Early to mid-October.

And no, smartass, there are no asterisks.

One place the university took care to get the trophy right down to smallest dimple: On the set of recruiting billboards just put up in Atlanta, Montgomery and the heart of Crimson Tide country, Birmingham, intrastate trollin' of the highest order. Don't get mad, Bammers: Get even. (Seriously, road rage is unhealthy to yourself and everyone in your immediate vicinity.)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Good-things-come-in-threes-Auburn-8217-s-champ;_ylt=ArH87_ZlWxS7rxW8XftraPkcvrYF?urn=ncaaf-wp2767

So they managed to skirt the rules and give each player two rings instead of one but what is up with the ring that has what looks like the trophy awarded the winner of the Super Bowl?

StoopTroup
6/20/2011, 08:50 PM
You can post that but you can read the other post?

prrriiide
6/20/2011, 08:51 PM
is up with the ring that has what looks like the trophy awarded the winner of the Super Bowl?

e-bay bargain???

StoopTroup
6/20/2011, 08:58 PM
SEC (sex, entertainment, &crime)

SoonerofAlabama
6/20/2011, 09:06 PM
You need to know how to win like you have been there before. Giving a player three championship rings decked out in flashy gems is just a bad idea, especially when you are facing NCAA investigation.

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/20/2011, 11:52 PM
I hope the NCAA comes crashing down on Auburn soon. Its clear (whether it can be proven or not) that there was very shady business goin on there with Cam Newton and possibly others. I hope they get hammered.

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/20/2011, 11:55 PM
You need to know how to win like you have been there before. Giving a player three championship rings decked out in flashy gems is just a bad idea, especially when you are facing NCAA investigation.

This. What a bunch of garbage, I cant stand Auburn and that dirty coach of theirs.

mushu405
6/21/2011, 09:21 AM
http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/97/97b70a984578e8d9510c080fb93ea8e7/good_things_come_in_threes_auburns_championship_bl ing_has_arrived.jpg

lexsooner
6/21/2011, 09:28 AM
http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/97/97b70a984578e8d9510c080fb93ea8e7/good_things_come_in_threes_auburns_championship_bl ing_has_arrived.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks all sports championship rings are really ugly and gaudy?

PLaw
6/21/2011, 11:59 AM
SEC (sex, entertainment, &crime)

Yep, reminiscent of the old SWC days.

Boomer

Mississippi Sooner
6/21/2011, 12:14 PM
Do the Green Bay Packers know that they didn't win the Super Bowl? Dean and Badger are gonna be pissed.

OU Engineer
6/21/2011, 12:47 PM
maybe they meant it to be the AP trophy?

mushu405
6/21/2011, 03:39 PM
Am I the only one who thinks all sports championship rings are really ugly and gaudy?

I actually would rock it. I think it would look nice in Crimson and Cream