PDA

View Full Version : How Are the Fans Where You Live?

SoonerofAlabama
6/20/2011, 08:29 PM
Living in North Alabama, I get a real sense of the fans of Auburn, Alabama, and Tennessee. In my experience, when I try to talk about football I hear "My team is better, OU sucks, and the SEC is the best league ever." What our these other teams' fans like? I would love to hear some stories about some of fans of other teams from some other sooner fans.

StoopTroup
6/20/2011, 08:35 PM
Tulsa University Fans try to ignore me but they are better informed about football than 99.9% of any Aggie I've met and the ewe pig fooey Fans....there are a few good solid Football Fans but mostly I get the same SEC blah blah blah you get only we have the 7 MNC wins.

Jacie
6/20/2011, 08:41 PM
The only Sooners here are the ones I've converted through my own sheer enthusiasm and generosity in handing out Sooner gear.

At the school where I sub, there is this one irritating kid who used to wear sa*et jersey everyday (inexplicably stopped wearing them this last school year). Thank goodness he graduates this month, at least I hope he made it.

Given the lack of proximity to any school that plays FBS football, I am mostly met with apathy when it comes to collegiate football.

Now if it is Division 1 hockey, we have two teams only 11 miles apart from each other here and the rivalry between them is as intense as anything in my experience. Since my wife is employed at one of these schools my allegiance is set there.

Soonerfan88
6/20/2011, 08:52 PM
I live in Mizzeri, 'nuf said. Sadly this also means I don't get to talk sports much. They like to talk but don't really know what they are talking about.

The only silver lining is no osu fans around running their mouths.

mightysooner
6/20/2011, 08:55 PM
PAC 12 country here. UofA and ASU fans seem realistically hopeful about their teams but they don't talk trash.....especially if I'm wearing Sooner gear....which is always. One of the guys I know out here asked me at a company Christmas party if Arizona needed to worry about OSU. It pained me to say it but I told him his team will have all they can handle and more. And that's how it went...

LASooner
6/20/2011, 08:58 PM
USC/UCLA fans here... I have to remind them that

A) Their team is playing today
B) Who their team is playing.

It's that sad. The day of the USC/UCLA game I saw someone at the store wearing a USC shirt and asked them why they weren't at home watching the game. They asked me what time it starts, I said, "They're in the 3rd Quarter"

:cool:

fwsooner22
6/20/2011, 08:59 PM
Fort Worth, Texas here. It used to be all about ** and the occasionally aggie (the real kind). Now TCU dominates this city. I was OK with it but I'm not anymore. We need to take them apart 14 months from now but we'll get to that at a later date. TCU fans are on a real high and it has been earned. It however, is still more of a social experience than anything else because they play nobody.

BigTip
6/20/2011, 09:11 PM
This year has been great in Austin! lol

But actually, I think the tu fans are not really rabid and delusional like some areas of the country are. Avid sure, but they know when they'll have their hands full with us.

I will say it was very hard to get any bets this year!

sooner518
6/20/2011, 09:24 PM
I moved to Austin a month and a half ago. Nuff said.

vtsooner21
6/20/2011, 09:25 PM
Tough following the local college football as it's Dartmouth...Although the Big Green now has an OU Alum coaching D there. Rest assured the Sooner Nation is represented at all times here. Lovin' the conversation with other college fans around these parts. My neighbor actually grazes some longhorns just down the road. Thinking about branding them with a big OU, or at least sloppin' some crimson paint OU's on them.
Boomer

rock on sooner
6/20/2011, 09:29 PM
Iowa St and Iowa in this area...Iowa fans are obnoxious when they talk about
Hawkeyes and Cyclones...pretty quiet when the 'Clones stick it to them (my
son is ISU grad) and really bad when the Hawkeyes win. Surprising number of
well informed Sooner fans in the area...lots show up at Jack Trice when the
Sooners play here...actually had a van with Nebraska plates empty out eight
Sooners in all their splendor last time.....so go figure..

tfoolry
6/20/2011, 09:32 PM
Tired of hearing "some are saying this '11 Aggy offense is going to be the best on earth". Already heard about wimmens bb and have to hear about baseball (for now). Time for another 77-0 beatdown this fall.

Whet
6/20/2011, 10:26 PM
mackerel snappers!

Big D Sooner
6/20/2011, 10:32 PM
I moved to Durham, North Carolina about a year ago and I have found a surprising number of Sooners. There is another OU grad in my department so we can talk recruiting.

Not even the Duke students care about Duke football but UNC and NC State have good followings. There are a lot of transplants in the area so you see alot of fans for different schools, especially big 10, acc, and big east. Bball season is pretty f'ing awesome. Overall it is a pretty fun college atmosphere here.

Salt City Sooner
6/20/2011, 10:48 PM
Depending on the fan, up here, when you mention that you're an OU fan, I guarantee that a reference to either 1988 or 6:25 isn't far behind.

Peach Fuzz
6/20/2011, 10:53 PM
^ I went to school for a bit by Hutch and most of the people were sooner fans, or lamehawk fans... they talk bball all year zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

SoonerPride93
6/21/2011, 12:35 AM
All about BBAll here in Wichita. Not really many OU fans and the ones that claim to be have no knowledge whatsoever. I guess people here think the country like basketball. Also all the crap about their Orange Bowl year and they usualy shutup after i explain the whole "by default because we spanked missou after they spanked you".

Kstate fans arent that bad except the occasional 2002 remarks.

agoo758
6/21/2011, 12:42 AM
South Louisiana guy over here. The fans of course are as obnoxious as they can be. However, and I am not kidding, there is a begrudging respect for the Sooners down here. I have been to a few LSU games, one in the student section, and I was sporting my OU sweatshirt, of course they chanted the stupid *** "Tiger Bait Tiger Bait", but all were complimentary about my team, even a super drunk student talking **** about everything said that he liked OU, of course they arn't "quite as good as the sec" but good. Come down here, and you would be surprised at the reluctant respect given to our team.

agoo758
6/21/2011, 12:47 AM
USC/UCLA fans here... I have to remind them that

A) Their team is playing today
B) Who their team is playing.

It's that sad. The day of the USC/UCLA game I saw someone at the store wearing a USC shirt and asked them why they weren't at home watching the game. They asked me what time it starts, I said, "They're in the 3rd Quarter"

:cool:

Funny story about a USC fan, when I attended school in Natchitoches, I met a guy from Pasadena California (how he ended up in **** poor northern Louisiana is anyones guess). Anyway, he decided to needle me by saying he was going to graduate school at a place I hated, thinking it might be Diet Oklahoma, I asked him "Is it a land grant univeristy?" He said, "No moron, only idiots go to land grant universities." I then said, "so where are you going?"

I think you guys can fill in the rest.:rolleyes: My point is that anyone USC is stupid.:pop:

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/21/2011, 12:51 AM
I live in Illinois and the Illini fans here have got to be the most delusional fans I have ever met in my life. They honestly believe that Illinois is on the same level as OU all-time. They say its because they had the greatest player of all time (Red Grange) which he isnt.

When it comes to basketball season, they have never legitimately lost a game. They either win, or were screwed by the refs, they are also a top 5 all-time team in basketball too even without winning a championship.

Now I live in southwestern Illinois so I have a lot of Mizzou fans here and they are pretty polite for the most part, very delusional as well...ive noticed that they are all big into recruiting for some reason. They are convinced that they will land Dorial Green Beckam, Gunner Kiel, and Durron Neal (even though he is committed to OU now). See what I mean by delusional?

101sooner
6/21/2011, 05:31 AM
Living in North Alabama, I get a real sense of the fans of Auburn, Alabama, and Tennessee. In my experience, when I try to talk about football I hear "My team is better, OU sucks, and the SEC is the best league ever." What our these other teams' fans like? I would love to hear some stories about some of fans of other teams from some other sooner fans.

I just moved from Georgia. Same deal there. They actually aren't very knowlegeable fans.

ouflak
6/21/2011, 06:42 AM
Many here are Manchester United fans. Another healthy percentage are Manchester City fans. Most of the ensuing discussions that would normally occur when I refer to the sport as soccer instead of football are brief. I have yet to meet anyone who is a fan of American collegiate sports yet. There have been a few times when I have been grateful for that and I could come into work sulking for no apparent reason and catch no trash talk over it. Otherwise, the stereotype of hooliganism is rather overblown.

Mississippi Sooner
6/21/2011, 07:41 AM
Even though I'm only about 60 miles away from the Miss. State campus, I think there are more Bama fans around here. That does get skewed a little, though, when the Bulldogs have a good season like they did last year. The State fans that are in the stands on Saturdays are an enthusiastic bunch, too. Just understand that the cowbells will be present, and don't go with even a trace of a hangover.

My experience has been that the Miss State fans mostly just stand in awe of OU. They can't really fathom a tradition like that.

The Ole Miss fans, however, have remained obnoxious ever since the 1999 Independence Bowl. Since I count a few Ole Miss grads as friends, I'd love to have the chance to make that right. Only problem is, and I love pointing this out to the Ole Miss guys, either OU would have to fall down a ways or Ole Miss would have to improve a lot in order for that to happen.

Bama fans around here still have the mutual admiration thing going with us, but it has been tinged since what happened in 2002 and 2003. I know they are itching to get another chance now that Saban is there.

And finally, there are the LSU fans. I haven't been to Ohio State, but the LSU fans are by far the most obnoxious I've ever experienced. Think it was bad at the Sugar Bowl? They are that bad or even worse against almost any SEC opponent.

CBUS_SOONER
6/21/2011, 08:08 AM
Live n Columbus... Things are kinda quiet at the moment:)

NOVSooner
6/21/2011, 08:13 AM
I have to agree with MS Sooner for the most part. here in MS, since state has been "winning" lately that's pretty much the focus, and of course bama and LSU are pretty popular here. He's spot on when talking about Bama fans having the "mutual respect" feeling but i believe if Saban were to ever leave they'd forfeit a season of football to mourn and recover. Lsu fans= worst in college football imo. you get the usual "the sec is the only conference" garbage often. however, most in MS don't know much about OU only that they are generally very good in football and that aspect is respected. one thing about mississippians though is they are generally bandwagon fans. all of a sudden all these auburn folks are appearing everywhere. lsu was relatively low key here until 2003, and the Saints, dear Lord, even with the lockout what mississippians spent on super bowl apparel is still carrying that team financially.

NOVSooner
6/21/2011, 08:13 AM

LOL !

LVSOONER15
6/21/2011, 08:18 AM
I live in northeastern NM (Las Vegas) there are a bunch of people that love saxet. I don't even think they watch any college football just bangwagon fans. But there is a small mountain community north of my town that whenever I take a ride out there all I see are OU flags hanging outside their houses.

Soonermagik
6/21/2011, 08:26 AM

I heard the Nissan 350z dealers are doing okay, though. ;)

OUmillenium
6/21/2011, 08:34 AM
Way too many lOSUr fans here in Tulsa. Lots of Arkie around but I get along with them...kinda like volunteering at special olympics.

LesNessman
6/21/2011, 08:36 AM
Been in Austin for over 17 years. Obviously there are the obnoxious horn fans, whom I try to ignore, but I know a few that are cool and are very good friends and neighbors.

I simply laugh at all the "OU sucks" stuff as it is completely illogical.

Breadburner
6/21/2011, 08:55 AM
Had a black kid that was working in Braums last night tell me that OU sucks....I just looked at him and laughed...He was an FSU fan...

Always_Sooner
6/21/2011, 09:29 AM
I live up by Chicago, and their is a lot of respect for OU up this way..

texaspokieokie
6/21/2011, 09:34 AM
my conclusions after reading posts on this thread: people all over the US know next to nothing about football,are all "bandwagon" fans & are in general, STUPID !!!!

what great pleasure & smugness i derive from being allowed to be a fan of OU !!!

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/21/2011, 09:35 AM
I live up by Chicago, and their is a lot of respect for OU up this way..

Wish it was like that a little further south. They are all idiots down here, its unbelievable.

rainiersooner
6/21/2011, 09:52 AM
Washington fans up here. The older ones are very polite; the younger ones tend to be delusional and think that UW is a great program.

OhU1
6/21/2011, 10:12 AM
Grew up in Norman. Live near Lawton now. Longhorn shirts, plates, ect. dominate. Sometimes I think I live in Texas.

Dan Thompson
6/21/2011, 10:15 AM
I'm in prime USC territory and most of the fans that try to talk football are as arrogant as can be.

I hate USC more than Texes.

tcrb
6/21/2011, 10:17 AM
Living in Houston I am surrounded by whorns, aggies, and lsu morons. A few of the whorn fans know what's up when it comes to the true reality of cfb. But the aggies are just, well they're just aggies. And the lsu Katrina refugees are about the most ignorant fans I've ever come across.

BoulderSooner79
6/21/2011, 10:20 AM
I live near Stanford and the fans are pretty laid back. There are lots of things around here to divide the sports fans interests such as pro teams. Lots of recent fans due to recent success and excitement of the current team, but most suspect they will drift back to middle of the pack soon. They were very realistic about their chances against in the Sun Bowl in '09. The only games they really get excited about are against Cal and ND. Cal it their longtime rival they have had a mini-tradition of playing the domers (and beating them lately).

BillyBall
6/21/2011, 10:25 AM
I live in Chicago so I'm surrounded by delusional Big 10 fans.

The Maestro
6/21/2011, 10:28 AM
I make the fans of teams in this area hate OU cause I am so diehard about it. ASU fans don't really seem to care...that school is second to Texas in a waste of a program that has underachieved. The location, the lifestyle, the co-eds...ASU should dominate every year. If they would hire Leach when Erickson gets fired, watch out.

I honestly run into more Ohio State, Nebraska and fans of teams not in the Phoenix area since so many people who live here are from somewhere else. Two good friends are USC and Ohio State fans so having fun with them right now.

humblesooner
6/21/2011, 10:34 AM
This year has been great in Austin! lol

But actually, I think the tu fans are not really rabid and delusional like some areas of the country are. Avid sure, but they know when they'll have their hands full with us.

I will say it was very hard to get any bets this year!

Here is the truth about Texas fans:
One here in my office is a 55 yeaar old single avid sports fan. He knows all sports, amateur and pro, baseball-football-basketball. He just happens to be a horn fan. I have invited him to join us to watch the RRS with us and he prefers to watch at home alone. He is one extreme.

Here in Houston, we used to have watch parties at Ruggles inside the Astros baseball stadium. They also hosted the Horn watch parties. When we played on the same day and the Horns were on before us, the place would be full of Horn fans when we arrived. We always took a seat at the back and waited for their game to end. Then we would take the seating that they vacated.
Most of the Horn fans (guys included) were not watching the game. They were socializing. Every now and again, someone would score and one or two people would clap and the rest would turn to see what happened. We actually had to tell them that the game was over a few times, so they would leave and we could have their seats. This happened multiple times with us.

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/21/2011, 11:03 AM
I live in Chicago so I'm surrounded by delusional Big 10 fans.

this...they are all so incredibly delusional...those of you who don't live in big ten country thank your stars because its almost unbearable here. Most ignorant delusional people in the country hands down.

SoonerOX
6/21/2011, 11:12 AM
I live in North Carolina, where football takes a back seat to basketball. However, It seems like most NC state and UNC football fans around here know that their teams are not among the elite. They're mostly friendly and actually admire the Oklahoma's football culture. They only really get going when they argue about who is going to win the NC State v. UNC game. They really hate Maryland too.

Mississippi Sooner
6/21/2011, 11:25 AM
I live in North Carolina, where football takes a back seat to basketball. However, It seems like most NC state and UNC football fans around here know that their teams are not among the elite. They're mostly friendly and actually admire the Oklahoma's football culture. They only really get going when they argue about who is going to win the NC State v. UNC game. They really hate Maryland too.

Some of the most rabid fans I've ever seen are North Carolina basketball fans. Of course they love their NASCAR, too, but that state just about shuts down during the ACC Tournament every year.

texaspokieokie
6/21/2011, 11:34 AM
i hate nascar, with their crude "push rods" !!!!
:D

Ruf/Nek7
6/21/2011, 11:52 AM
I too live in Fort Worth, TX. I also agree with FWsooner from earlier....TCU is a hot commodity right now. The fandom is growing exponentially and stickers, flags and billboards stating "Purple Reigns" are popping up everywhere. Typically, I couldn't travel down 820 or 183 without getting the horns shot at me by some inbred red neck or illegal immigrant....not so much recently. I wonder why.

On a side note, me and three other friends went to play a foursome best ball scramble. Had team names and the guys I played against were both * grads so I named one 5 and the other 7. Together, they were 5-7. Needless to say, me and my partner won.

blacktop
6/21/2011, 12:01 PM
Here they are die hard Georgia fans. Georgia has been down the last few years so they aren't as vocal but they still love their Dawgs. They believe that the SEC is the strongest overall conference (and that is tough to argue against). They do respect Oklahoma and other strong national teams. I've never really had a problem with being a fan of Oklahoma in Georgia. I am glad to see we are getting more players from Florida and a few from Georgia. I believe it is the tradition of Oklahoma and Bob Stoops that is helping in recruiting. Boomer!

lexsooner
6/21/2011, 12:17 PM
Kentuckians bleed UK blue and worship the team. I have never seen this kind of passion and loyalty anywhere else I have lived. I think folks in the Southern states wear their sports teams on their sleeves. Plus, many Kentuckians descend from the Scotch-Irish and live in isolated, mountain regions, so they are highly tribalistic by nature, and the Cats are part of their tribe and if anyone puts them down, they should expect to be punched and kicked by a crowd. Cat fans also have unrealistic expectations, sort of like OU football fans, and it does not take much to start them grumbling about the coaching, the team, the fans, etc. etc.

SoonerAtKU
6/21/2011, 12:20 PM
I live in Mizzeri, 'nuf said. Sadly this also means I don't get to talk sports much. They like to talk but don't really know what they are talking about.

The only silver lining is no osu fans around running their mouths.

Saint Louis is a baseball town and barely a hockey town. People around here don't know the first thing about football, and the only time you can hear good discussion on local radio is if they have an ex player or coach on.

Flagstaffsooner
6/21/2011, 12:58 PM
I live in a convent and you should hear the ND crap around here.;)

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/21/2011, 01:41 PM
Saint Louis is a baseball town and barely a hockey town. People around here don't know the first thing about football, and the only time you can hear good discussion on local radio is if they have an ex player or coach on.

So true, thats where I live, a burb in Illinois actually but its the same here. Theres about a 50/50 split of Illini/Misery fans here. They are equally dumb.

Always_Sooner
6/21/2011, 02:07 PM
Wish it was like that a little further south. They are all idiots down here, its unbelievable.

Where I live and work, most of the people are either Michigan or Ohio State fans. They do respect Oklahoma, and a lot of guys have made big money betting on OU.

JLEW1818
6/21/2011, 02:09 PM
Live in Houston area

lots of Tamu Aggies and Horns

PalmBeachSooner
6/21/2011, 04:08 PM
I live in San Antonio and it's pretty much Horns and Aggies split down the middle. I'll run into an OU fan on occassions, but in general I don't get the impression anyone around here gives a rat's hairy booty hole about college football, but they love them some Dallas Cowboys.

Bccajun
6/21/2011, 04:49 PM
South Louisiana here too. I have a group of LSU fans that joke with me but they know football so it's all in fun. They even like buying horns gear and bringing it out just for our get togethers. :), but the best is an old group of retired lsu fans at my local coffee shop. They always trash the Sooner when I where my colors. One morning I had enough of their lame BS. Printed out both schools accomplishments and ranked them. Made a copy for all of them. Said it's about tradition not fly by night BS. Have not heard them speak out again.

DCsooner22
6/21/2011, 07:39 PM
I live in the district, and most people around here don't even know that universities have football teams - most went to some small, liberal arts college that I have to ask, "What state is that in? You got a degree in WHAT?"

But, it is also sooooo transient, that I do occasionally see various university shirts, but no one you would really want to talk football with. They're all concerned with the latest political whatever-whosey-whatsit rally that is going on, wanting me to sign some petition to abolish/tax/support/deny/buy something (I'm a biologist so don't get into the political talks - NO WAY).

It's pretty much Redskins all season long in the fall - and they suck worse than Justin Bieber, so the city is eternally depressed September through December. There are a few Va Tech fans sprinkled here and there - not too threatening though, and most people if they talk college sports, it's all about Maryland basketball (yawn).

Other than that, it's the fair weather Capitals (hockey) fans that can get annoying.

Most people in my circle of friends and at work know about the Sooners through my rabid addiction, and whenever they hear something about Oklahoma that catches their ear, they relay it to me - good or bad.

I have had a few teen volunteers trained to recite the National Champion years though... That was fun.

Salt City Sooner
6/21/2011, 09:15 PM
^ I went to school for a bit by Hutch and most of the people were sooner fans, or lamehawk fans... they talk bball all year zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Hoops still has the edge here, but Rhodes is doing his darndest to bring football more & more into the conversation. Butler was the only team to beat Hutch last year (although admittedly, they did wax us both times).

Chuck Bao
6/21/2011, 09:53 PM
In Bangkok, I am the only college football fan that I know of. Over the years, I had colleagues who got their degrees from traditional football schools such as USC, Oregon, Minnesota, Penn State, LSU and OU. None of them follow their alma mater football teams. However, about 90% of them are supporters of either Man U. or Liverpool.

It is a bit disappointing, in my opinion, that international students in the US don't take the effort to experience more of America's culture and university traditions.

SunnySooner
6/21/2011, 10:12 PM
Jacksonville, FL is a great CFB town, one of the things I really like about living here. I've talked football with everyone from my dentist (Nole) to my neighbor's lawn dude (Dawg). It's mainly Gators and Noles, but there's a healthy representation of Dawgs and Bama fans as well. Jax is the neutral site for the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party, aka, the Florida/Georgia game, as well as the Gator Bowl, which we almost always attend via the cheap tickets my kids school sells ($25, the school gets a cut, the catch is you buy in November, before the teams are selected). The year Nebbish beat Clemson was a really fun game for me. I wore my OU gear to support the Big 12 team, and since it was just before the MNC game with Florida, EVERYBODY wanted to talk to me about the game, it was a blast.

OU garners a lot of respect here, they seem to know we're an elite school and tradition, and when all the conference shake up was going on, all my SEC neighbors were saying they hoped OU stayed out, they didn't want to have to play us that much, especially in Norman.

It's been a great change of pace, since before this we were in the Seattle area, and those granola crunchers are too busy hugging trees and shopping for Birkenstocks to pay attention to football. It sucked. Sooooooo happy we didn't join the Pac-10, it's just not the same with those "fans".

I Am Right
6/22/2011, 06:06 PM
Poke a sheep fans are bad where ever they are.

LostCreekSooner
6/22/2011, 06:44 PM
Gay. (Nuff said)

NMSooner'80
6/23/2011, 12:09 AM
Albuquerque is a fun place to live, and a place where you can get uber-cheap football tickets for the local team. But it's a strange football town - even when the Lobos were pretty decent ('01-07 under Rocky Long; and at times in the 90's under Franchione), it was still more "socially acceptable" to worship bad NFL teams like Oakland.

Fran did a really good job here overall but tired of the poor attendance. Long had a really nice run, and did it with several in-state prospects like Hank Baskett (Clovis), Brian Urlacher (Lovington), Kole McKamey (the Artesia QB who some say had similar talent to Landry, but not the size to match) and DonTrell Moore (the all-time leading MWC rusher from Roswell)

There are some good fans, and they are well aware of how much it'd mean to their overall sports program, financially, at UNM to be good at football and get the crowds to match. They tend to blame a very negative, myopic, generally clueless batch of sports writers who have spent years downgrading the football program. And, others still believe that "it's a basketball town," and that's enough of a reason not to support football.

UNM has also mismanaged its program something awful since the 1950's. Their school prez forced the team to decline a bowl bid because it "sent the wrong message about academics" - and that de-emphasis helped send one Tommy McDonald of Albuquerque Highland elsewhere. They also didn't fund two-platoon football for several years in the 60's, another prez forced the A.D. to refund donations to renovate a miserable stadium in the 80's (that old "we can't give the impression of favoring sports over academics" fallacy, again), and forced out Long when it was totally unnecessary - in favor of a "dynamic young recruiter" in current flop Mike Locksley.

If the locals would learn that it's okay to support both local college football and a pro team they never see in person, then it would get a lot better.

SoonerDood
6/23/2011, 03:20 PM
Many here are Manchester United fans. Another healthy percentage are Manchester City fans.

Is City really like Manchester Aggy? Or at least the Mets?

In Hampton Roads, most people are fans of the I-AA schools like Old Dominion, William & Mary, Richmond, and James Madison. Most people root for Tech and laugh at/feel sorry for UVa. I hear it's a baseball area, but I haven't seen it.

pweitkem
6/23/2011, 04:02 PM
I live in Austin. The fans are very very quiet.

SoonerMom2
6/23/2011, 04:40 PM
Live among the best fans in college football -- right here in Norman, OK, home of the Oklahoma Sooners. We have lived in S. Texas which was split between Aggies and Longhorns, in SoCal between USC and UCLA, in MA -- no one cared for the most part, Ohio (twice) -- the OSU was the only thing you heard about.

When they put the depot at Kelly AFB, San Antonio, on the closure list we ended up in the best town we have ever lived -- Norman OK. After we visited the stadium -- kids and I decided this was the ONLY place we wanted to live -- bought season tickets that fall of 1997 and have been to every game since! You couldn't pry me out of Norman now!

fadada1
6/23/2011, 08:50 PM
Philly - "What the hell is college football?????"

ouwasp
6/23/2011, 11:18 PM
This thread has proven to be very interesting... seeing things from another's perspective is most always good.

My little town in NE Oklahoma is probably fairly typical.... I would estimate 1/2-2/3 of the folks are Sooner fans and most of the rest pokes.

SoonerofAlabama
6/23/2011, 11:27 PM
This thread has proven to be very interesting... seeing things from another's perspective is most always good.

My little town in NE Oklahoma is probably fairly typical.... I would estimate 1/2-2/3 of the folks are Sooner fans and most of the rest pokes.

What town?

ouwasp
6/23/2011, 11:42 PM
What town?

Pryor

SoonerofAlabama
6/23/2011, 11:52 PM
Pryor

So, you have some diversity of groups there right? What teams do you see the most?

ouwasp
6/24/2011, 12:06 AM
So, you have some diversity of groups there right? What teams do you see the most?

Of the people that care about college football... my unscientific estimations are:

60% OU :)
25% osu :rolleyes:
15% other; I personally know fans of UT, Alabama, Arkansas, KSU, Tulsa, A&M...

The osu fans are the worst. They care more about OU losing than their own team winning. They have earned my eternal disdain.

Another local angle... the Tulsa World seems to go to great pains to represent OU and osu equally.

SoonerofAlabama
6/24/2011, 12:17 AM
Well thanks. I just like to get other fans perspectives. As you said, it can get pretty interesting.

DCsooner22
6/24/2011, 05:26 AM
Philly - "What the hell is college football?????"

Just up the road a little - and I couldn't agree more with that sentiment about college football... But, that town LOVES its professional sports teams. The Flyers and Phillies - that's all my buddy from there can talk about, and those two sports damn near encompass the entire year.

SoonerAtKU
6/24/2011, 08:52 AM
No Iggles?

fadada1
6/24/2011, 11:23 AM
No Iggles?

ugh. stinkin' eagles. i swear, eagles fans would still be pissed if they won by 100, gave up -40 yards of offense, had 14 interceptions, and 847 yards rushing. never happy.

phillies fans are great; flyers fans are great, just not enough in comparison. still wondering if the nba is still in existence.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/26/2011, 08:28 AM
I think the only thing I've learned traveling and living around the country is that college football fans are actually a smaller "demographic", if you will.

Saw the fadada's "Philly: What the hell is college football???" and laughed. It's somewhat like that in the Twin Cities as well. Vikings, Packers, any NFL, then someone may wonder off-hand how the Gophers are doing, and then don't have much awareness of college football after that.

But even moreso, I think actually the majority of people fall into no interest towards football at all. Even here in the TC if I have on a Vikings shirt I'll get an occasional... "oh, Vikings... that's football, right?" (Of course that could be a Packer making a joke... but I digress.)

I think it (college football) fades further into obscurity the further out to the coasts you get as the cities grow larger.

Recent example: Not that Hilton Head, South Carolina is a big city, but it is SEC-ACC country. I was wearing one of my OU polos (crimson, of course, with interlocking OU) and a nicely dressed guy, maybe 35, in the elevator next to me says, "OU?... Oh, that's Ohio University?" He wasn't joking. And I said, "No, it's the University of Oklahoma.. the Sooners." He just flat out looked puzzled. "Sooners?... Oklahoma University?... OK... Yeah that makes sense... Well, have a nice day," as he got off the elevator.

Most people I think are merely interested in living, thriving, surviving, with their favorite ipod mix emanating from their earbuds.

Poor souls.

Fortunately, I'm a Sooner. ;)

Okie35
6/26/2011, 08:40 AM
The majority are Kstate and KU fans so you know how that goes.

texaspokieokie
6/26/2011, 08:42 AM
in bigger cities there's more stuff goin on, like pro sports.

NMSooner'80
6/26/2011, 04:27 PM
Here's an addendum to my earlier post about how a hostile media can affect things. In Albuquerque, the notion that the media should encourage college football fandom is absurd to the fishwrap. They haven't had a single thing about Landry in the paper here since the off-season began, although to be fair his hometown is about 230 miles away. They did worship the incredibly overrated Bobby Newcombe when he was at NU, though. He is from here.

To illustrate how strange the editorial stances have been:
- today's paper has a huge story, by a staff writer, about his trip to Green Bay. Same guy loves to write up fantasy football as if it's the only thing that matters.
- in 1984, one of their writers fell in love with the locally-hated BYU program as it made its run to the most mythical of national titles. They'd fire a guy who covered a team like the '82 Lobos, who went 10-1, with that kind of fawning.
- football recruiting has been ignored as much as is possible. I think it's because they like it at the paper when people get mad at whichever UNM coach isn't signing local kids - whether they're even NAIA prospects or not. A guy on radio keeps banging that drum, and if he had his way, some really good UNM teams in the last 15 years would have taken some real stiffs.

And, I just "can't wait" for Boise State's first trip to Albuquerque in 2012. That'll be verbal fellatio that hasn't been seen around here since Rick Majerus left Utah (they just worshipped him in the local media) and Don Haskins retired. The OU-Potato game will be so lied about about (the inevitable and false "David vs. Goliath" storyline from '06) that'll probably give me a year's supply of nausea.

SoonerofAlabama
6/26/2011, 04:30 PM
Well, other than that. How is New Mexico?

hawaii 5-0
6/26/2011, 04:53 PM
Here in Hawaii it's 98% University of Hawaii fans. There's a smattering of West Coast schools, some military schools, ND, Florida, Texass. I know a Louisville fan.

There used to be a Sooner Fan Club here but that was a long time ago. I sport an OU vanity plate on the front of my car and get a few comments. I still wear lots of OU shirts and hats with varying comments.

5-0

Peach Fuzz
6/26/2011, 08:11 PM
I ran into a few whorns and Sooners in Hawaii a couple of years ago, had some drinks at Cheeseburger In Paradise. the 3 Sooners were actually locals from North shore area and knew their football. The whorns however, didn't know **** except about wonderlic and that they were born in tejas.

other than that, Hawaiians are just too busy relaxing to care :cool:

NMSooner'80
6/26/2011, 10:43 PM
Well, other than that. How is New Mexico?

Seriously, it's a blast. We can ski, fish, hike, eat great food, find amazing scenery to photograph, and even enjoy milder summers than you might think. New Mexico has also sent at least a few decent athletes OU's way, including the aforementioned Tommy McDonald, Ralph Neely, Leon Cross, Steve Barrett and a kid named Landry...

agoo758
6/26/2011, 10:56 PM
Here in Hawaii it's 98% University of Hawaii fans. There's a smattering of West Coast schools, some military schools, ND, Florida, Texass. I know a Louisville fan.

There used to be a Sooner Fan Club here but that was a long time ago. I sport an OU vanity plate on the front of my car and get a few comments. I still wear lots of OU shirts and hats with varying comments.

5-0

Is football as big in Hawaii as it is in the 48 states?

sooneron
6/28/2011, 08:54 AM
Jersey- [fist pump] Buttgers fans or scUMiami fans or penn state fans... yep, it sucks

d.stOUgh
6/30/2011, 12:22 AM

Hey SoonerofAlabama...

I live in Prattville, Al. but spent 15 years in OKC went to all the home gms and knew many players from '71-'85.

Any chance of getting a Sooners in Alabama fan club together?

thx...

dave

SoonerofAlabama
6/30/2011, 12:37 AM
Hey SoonerofAlabama...

I live in Prattville, Al. but spent 15 years in OKC went to all the home gms and knew many players from '71-'85.

Any chance of getting a Sooners in Alabama fan club together?

thx...

dave

We could have a group meeting and talk about who the SEC fans said they would beat if they played them.

SouthTxSooner
6/30/2011, 12:59 AM
Living in North Central Texas, it's hard to escape the abundant idiotic horn fan.. Now that tamu is looking to have an above average season, they are getting a bit cocky too.. I found that if I spend half an hour refreshing my memory about saxet college football history and recruiting, I will know more than the average idiot horn fan (doesn't work as well with the aggies, they seem to be better prepared). And when I get into a discussion/argument with said fan, it's gratifying to make them look stupid in front of their friends by knowing more about their team than they do..