PDA

View Full Version : Phil Steele 2011 Preseason Prediction

Sabanball
6/20/2011, 06:22 PM
Picked up my copy of his preseason mag in the grocery store today. As he did last year, he's giving you guys a lot of love. His season finale prediction--an all crimson BCS title game with Bama/OU for all the marbles next january.

goingoneight
6/20/2011, 06:32 PM
I'd prefer that over a LSU in the game. Not to suggest Saban can't beat Stoops, cuz he has and can... just don't like the idea of them fielding their best team again when the title game is in their backyard.

sperry
6/20/2011, 06:49 PM
I just don't get the Bama hype. They weren't a great offensive team last year, and they lose a 2 year starting QB, a Heisman trophy winning RB, and an all-world wide receiver, as well as losing key pieces on the offensive line and defensive line.

Jacie
6/20/2011, 07:22 PM
I just don't get the Bama hype. They weren't a great offensive team last year, and they lose a 2 year starting QB, a Heisman trophy winning RB, and an all-world wide receiver, as well as losing key pieces on the offensive line and defensive line.

This is what Lindy's has to say about the Tide:

". . . a veteran defense and experienced talent everywhere on offense except at quarterback."

Bama returns 4 of 5 starters on the O-line, are strong at linebacker and have possibly the best secondary in Division 1. Only two positions are a concern, left tackle and quarterback. Don't be fooled, that team is deep and good, which is why the loss of key personnel one year does not spell disaster the following year and if that doesn't sound familiar to you, then you aren't reading enough about OUr team.

SoonerNomad
6/20/2011, 07:45 PM

Not saying that I agree with any of this, the logic that I have heard goes something like this (addressing your points first)

1. QB - they will have better athlete than McElroy no matter which QB they choose; Bama QB only needs to not lose the game; and McElroy was first year starter when they won title in '09

2. RB - Richardson is better than Ingram, plus they have recruits that will split time that are just as good

3. WR- Jones dropped too many balls.

4. OL - much better than last season based on recruit rankings and some experience

5. DL - Bama's third string defensive lineman would start for any school in the Big 12.

The above is all wishful thinking. The reality is confidence in Coach Saban is so high they believe all the returners on defense will make the defense so dominant it won't matter how good the offense is. I thought their young secondary players were mediocre last year. I am not sure they will be dominant this year, but Coach Saban's track record is they will be much better.

SoonerofAlabama
6/20/2011, 07:58 PM
I believe it is obvious what this Alabama team will become. Their defense will control their offense.

UA will have a dominant defense, as normal. The secondary always seems to have someone that is great in it. LBs continue to be produced at an amazing rate. Infact after Rolando McClain left, I thought the LB core was done for but then came Donta Hightower. The D-line is good, even though they lost a talented DT.

AJ McCarron is talented and can hand the ball off to Richardson for most of a drive and then throw the ball for the touchdown. Richardson will do well, no doubt in my mind. Maze and Hanks will be a good combo of receivers. And the O-line should be dominant.

LASooner
6/20/2011, 08:05 PM

". . . a veteran defense and experienced talent everywhere on offense except at quarterback."

Sounds like Oklahoma 2001 team

tcrb
6/20/2011, 08:08 PM

Bama returns 4 of 5 starters on the O-line

Every OU fan should know what this can mean for a new QB.

delhalew
6/20/2011, 09:06 PM
I could dig a Crimson on Crimson throwdown for all the marbles.

TXBOOMER
6/20/2011, 09:36 PM
I'd take it. I think it would be a hell of a game.

oudavid1
6/20/2011, 11:08 PM
Ok, I just watched the Alabama/South Carolina game, Bama is good, they are not great. Best secondary? Thats a joke. They got torched by Garcia, inconsistent to say the least. Alabama is no better than OU on defense and OU and OSU would put up more points than them this year.

TheLadiesMike
6/20/2011, 11:30 PM
Ok, I just watched the Alabama/South Carolina game, Bama is good, they are not great. Best secondary? Thats a joke. They got torched by Garcia, inconsistent to say the least. Alabama is no better than OU on defense and OU and OSU would put up more points than them this year.

How did we look in the middle of last season?

The Maestro
6/21/2011, 10:25 AM
2. RB - Richardson is better than Ingram, plus they have recruits that will split time that are just as good

3. WR- Jones dropped too many balls.

4. OL - much better than last season based on recruit rankings and some experience

5. DL - Bama's third string defensive lineman would start for any school in the Big 12.

The above is all wishful thinking. The reality is confidence in Coach Saban is so high they believe all the returners on defense will make the defense so dominant it won't matter how good the offense is. I thought their young secondary players were mediocre last year. I am not sure they will be dominant this year, but Coach Saban's track record is they will be much better.

I'm with sperry. Again I say the same thing I said about FSU...this is college football. If the strength of your team is you have a lot of great offensive lineman, yee-freaking-haw. OU had converted tight ends, Scott Kempenich and a bunch of no names that didn't go to the NFL when we won the title in 2000. College football requires SKILL PLAYERS TO MAKE PLAYS!!! Bama can be solid and win a bunch of games 17-10 with that defense. But they will fall to teams with weapons.

Richardson is not better than Ingram or he would have made more noise. He's good. He's like DeMarco Murray. Ingram won a Hesiman. To say Jones dropped too many passes or didn't dominate is nuts. He is the best receiver in Bama history. Best. Bama. History. And he is gone. Name another receiver they have. And while McElroy wasn't great, he was a manager of games and even if the next guy is better he has something to prove.

I would love to play Bama for the title. I bet we would only need about 24 points to claim the crystal ball. I respect them and Saban, but they lost a lot of talent on offense and...oh yeah...some D-lineman that went early in the draft named Dareus. They have holes to fill, big time.

SoonerOX
6/21/2011, 11:27 AM
I would love to see an Alabama-Oklahoma Nat'l Championship game. There is no program outside of Oklahoma than I respect more than Alabama.

NormanPride
6/21/2011, 11:29 AM
We have to run the ball and be more efficient in the red zone if we have any hope of making it there. Oh, and find some DTs that can effectively plug the middle to keep blockers off our LBs.

oudavid1
6/21/2011, 04:06 PM
How did we look in the middle of last season?

Good Point....

Mad Dog Madsen
6/21/2011, 04:34 PM

Bama is hardly ever a great offensive team. They like to run the ball down your throat so it doesn't really matter who their QB is as long as he can hand the ball off. IMHO I think Trent Richardson is/will be better than Ingram. Their defense won't give up many points this year either. I definitely think they're as good as advertised though.

CBUS_SOONER
6/21/2011, 05:50 PM
FSU scares me

IronHorseSooner
6/21/2011, 06:14 PM
'Bama is a factory, and so are we. Both are expected to win at least their conference. I could definitely live with an all Crimson title game. Two coaches who tell it like it is; two passionate fan bases; loads of history and mutual respect. With all of the off-the-field BS that has occurred this offseason, the game deserves an MNC like this! These two programs are what the sport is about.

Sabanball
6/21/2011, 06:23 PM
Looking at the schedules, as long as you guys beat FSU I see you coasting to New Orleans, but it will be a much tougher path for us. One thing in our favor is we have LSU, who most think will be our toughest opponent, in Tuscaloosa and South Carolina is off the schedule and replaced by Vandy. Auburn and UF are on the road, but both schools are in transition/rebuilding--however I expect them to both be tough outs for us to get nonetheless. Yes, we lost a heisman winner at rb, but Trent Richardson is probably better than Mark ever was. As it stands right now, we'll play both qbs(McCarron and Sims) until one emerges and distances himself from the other, I'm comfortable with either.

We played a lot of youth last season. We will be much better this year, whether that's good enough to get us to the BCS title game to play against you guys, that I don't know. Right now I think LSU has just as much of a shot as we do. Say what you want about the Hat, but in my opinion he's the most under- appreciated coach in major college football, and probably the only one that has out-coached both Saban AND Stoops at different times in his career.

goingoneight
6/21/2011, 07:17 PM
Alabama under Saban doesn't have guys like Sam Bradford or Landry Jones historically speaking. They have guys who can manage the game. They're never an outstanding team offensively. Hell, honestly, McElroy looked awful against Texas. I'll say it again, Colt McCoy may not win that game, but he sure as hell changes the outcome of it. Bama was dead in the water, but Gilbert just kept giving them opportunities. Anyone's going to win when the opposition keeps giving them the game.

I wouldn't make too much of the McElroy loss. Nor the Jones and Ingram loss. Richardson's plenty good, they don't need outstanding QB play to be a contender in Saban's system and their defense will be back after a "down year" a year ago.

IMO, a team like OU would normally be a fascinating matchup with Bama. They have an offense that's just as good or better than anything they see in the SEC, and OU's defense isn't just some paper tiger, run of the mill BIG 12 defense. Teams that are all defense and steady on offense occasionally get ripped by high-powered offensive teams so long as the offensive teams can muster up some defense to create a point differential (see: Utah/Bama 2008 and OU/Tech 2009). I think what scares me right NOW in a matchup such as that one is that Bama is a more physical team than we have proven to be. I can't see us lining up and executing without counting on some trinket toy "diamond formation" or the like. It could end like the 2009 BCS MNC game did for OU unless they really get with it this off-season in the trenches.

MojoRisen
6/21/2011, 07:39 PM
We need to correct Red zone scoring! All will be good in Sooner Nation.

Playing Bama for a NC! it would be fun to get that hyped up for a ball game and go 4 quarters trying to sock them in the mouth!

Sabanball
6/21/2011, 08:04 PM
I think it would be a great game. We would probably have the crowd though, we've been to NO many times and know how to get the tickets.

As long as you guys survive your trip to Tally and we escape Penn State with a win, I think we're on track to both be there.

delhalew
6/21/2011, 08:21 PM
I think it would be a great game. We would probably have the crowd though, we've been to NO many times and know how to get the tickets.

As long as you guys survive your trip to Tally and we escape Penn State with a win, I think we're on track to both be there.

I expect TAMU to be a bitch, even in Norman. OSU will fight like hell. If we keep our game up all season, it may work out. Can you imagine the hype for that game?

BoulderSooner79
6/21/2011, 11:58 PM
Whew! I'm relieved we got through the regular season unscathed and it's off to N'awlenz with just Bama to worry about!