PDA

View Full Version : Security Cameras

Jammin'
6/20/2011, 12:25 PM
How much more money would it cost to start having security camera's that actually have a decent picture? Im not saying they have to go HD but you can barely see anything in a lot of the crime footage sometimes. My phone has a better camera than the ones they are protecting most places with.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/20/2011, 12:26 PM
Sam's has had some good systems for sale in recent months.

yermom
6/20/2011, 12:45 PM
the cameras aren't as much of a problem as storing all the video

Turd_Ferguson
6/20/2011, 12:57 PM
the cameras aren't as much of a problem as storing all the video90 bucks for a 2Tb hard drive...

Penguin
6/20/2011, 12:58 PM
PSA: A hidden camera in the women's dressing room is NOT considered a security camera. Damn grand juries always ruining my fun! :mad:

Breadburner
6/20/2011, 12:59 PM
Proper term is "Surveilance Camera"....

yermom
6/20/2011, 01:12 PM
90 bucks for a 2Tb hard drive...

http://www.fastvideoindexer.com/articles/VideoSizes/VideoSize.htm

at 720p you are talking roughly 3GB per minute, 1440 minutes in a day, so 2TB wouldn't get you half a day.

even with compression, you are still looking at a lot of space if you want to keep any kind of retention.

plus, you are likely looking at RAID disks and would probably not be able to get by with the cheap desktop harddrives. sadly, i've gotten to clean up the mess involved when people make that mistake...

Turd_Ferguson
6/20/2011, 01:21 PM

at 720p you are talking roughly 3GB per minute, 1440 minutes in a day, so 2TB wouldn't get you half a day.

even with compression, you are still looking at a lot of space if you want to keep any kind of retention.

plus, you are likely looking at RAID disks and would probably not be able to get by with the cheap desktop harddrives. sadly, i've gotten to clean up the mess involved when people make that mistake...nobody likes a smart ***...

:D:D

Jammin'
6/20/2011, 01:36 PM
Proper term is "Surveilance Camera"....

Yeah, I couldn't spell surveilance off the top of my head and went with security.

plus, you are likely looking at RAID disks and would probably not be able to get by with the cheap desktop harddrives. sadly, i've gotten to clean up the mess involved when people make that mistake...

That's actually good info and makes sense. I guess /thread?

KantoSooner
6/20/2011, 01:37 PM
While we're on this subject, can anyone explain how, after 100+ years of speakers being used in public places the PA systems in stadiums, airports, etc still sound like Unlce Morty farting while locked in a closet down the hall?

GKeeper316
6/20/2011, 01:41 PM
90 bucks for a 2Tb hard drive...

2 tb will last about 12 hours of good hd video. so if you want to keep your data thats about 200 bucks a day just to purchase your storage devices. then you'll have to store the hardware.

most businesses wont accept that expense.

OUinFLA
6/20/2011, 02:10 PM
I have a 500 gig hard drive and 8 cameras.
If you get the right security system you can store about 30 days worth of recorded video on the hard drive.
How does it do that? It does not store a constant stream of unnecessary footage.
There is a 3 second delay built into the system. If a camera detects movement, it records from 3 seconds before the movement untill movement ceases from that camera.
No movement, no recording.
Has worked fine for me for a couple of years.

edit: I should have added .....you have to keep the spiderwebs cleaned off. If you don't the night vision lights reflect off the cobwebbs, which take almost nothing to move and you are recording a whole bunch of nothing.

yermom
6/20/2011, 02:12 PM
but what does the resolution look like?

olevetonahill
6/20/2011, 02:15 PM
Where ya get it Bro?

Can ya give a link describing yer system ?

tator
6/20/2011, 02:16 PM
Yes, and where are your cameras located. In detail please. Also a schematic of your floor plan.

olevetonahill
6/20/2011, 02:18 PM
Maybe better jes Peem that info to me.:eek:

OU Adonis
6/20/2011, 02:42 PM
Yes, and where are your cameras located. In detail please. Also a schematic of your floor plan.

Can you also show us how its all wired up? And where you have your power?

TIA!

OUinFLA
6/20/2011, 02:42 PM

Sure just log in with my password ****off-dip**** :D

I am using a system called AVerMedia and I would not recommend it due to some ongoing software issues.

One of my industrial friends has the system sold at Sam's and I consider his more user friendly to deal with.

I have mine on my farm and I can access the system via the innerweb from anywhere. First thing I do in the morn is check to see who has shown up for work. Last thing I do at night is check to see that the gates are locked.

When I was on vacation it was reassuring to check the farm out on my notebook computer I carry with me.

As far as cameras go, I got the 4 that came with the system, but I added some more I bought off ebay. I have three that show me a good daytime image at 150' from the camera location. Those are aimed at my 3 gates.
I have on that covers the inside of my office and two that cover my barn.
The resolution is not what you may be looking for as far as identification.
But, I talked to the sheriff's office before I put it in and they have an enhancing program they can upgrade the resoulution if you have the recording. So, I went with that.

I can identify the people who work for me, but would be hard pressed to identify a stranger unless they passed within about 20 feet of the cameras. However, there is no reason for a stranger to be on my farm, so that in itself is enough for me to call one of my employees who live on the farm and ask them to go check.

I had a couple of items stolen that irritated me, and that was the reason I put it in. Someone had to enter my gate and actually hook up the trailer they stole and pull it out. The gate had been left open inadvertently.

My employees have since figured out that their bonuses are tied to farm profits and if equipment has to be replaced, profits decrease accordingly.

soonerchk
6/20/2011, 03:07 PM
Is this for me?

OU Adonis
6/20/2011, 03:14 PM
Is this for me?

Shower cam?

Jammin'
6/20/2011, 03:14 PM
Is this for me?

OF COURSE NOT! That would just be totally creepy.

(yes)

OUinFLA
6/20/2011, 03:43 PM
Is this for me?
you're camera number 8

oudavid1
6/20/2011, 04:09 PM

My camera on my phone shoots 720p and I only have have a 16gb memory card and I have well over 60 minutes of video on it. So im lost. HD video is about 1 gig per hour.

XingTheRubicon
6/20/2011, 04:44 PM
why do you have to leave that light on