PDA

View Full Version : Worshiping God

BOOMERBRADLEY
6/19/2011, 09:57 AM
For those in the know more than me...

I grew up going to church and so I have somewhat of a background on the issue. My question is about "worshiping" God. Do we have to meet with other people in a building or dwelling in order to worship him? Or can we just live a good life and allow that to be our worship to him?

jk the sooner fan
6/19/2011, 10:03 AM
i think its written in the bible that we're suppose to worship the LORD with other Christians in fellowship

Blue
6/19/2011, 01:27 PM
You can worship God wherever you like. The Bible only mentions that you not "Forsake the assembly", which means it will help in your walk to be around other likeminded believers that can prop you up, support you, help out etc..

crawfish
6/19/2011, 01:43 PM
I think, as a Christian, we have a responsibility to the community of believers and to the world at large. I think it is dangerous to live one's spiritual life in a vacuum - and this comes from someone who is probably antisocial enough to happily be a hermit.

This isn't to say that going to church will save you or is any part of your salvation, but if believing in God doesn't make any discernible difference in your life, then is it really real?

SoonerBread
6/19/2011, 04:19 PM
"Going" to church isn't important. Jesus said that wherever two or more are gathered in His name, He will be there. Technically, anywhere and any time can be considered "church."

Churches were erected solely for gathering up the heathens and saving them (or converting them, or whatever your denomination's goal is). "Church" is for sinners. The idea of worshipping with fellow Christians is to recharge your spiritual batteries - to square up your walk with God. It's a way to hold you and your spiritual family accountable. It can also be more fulfilling for some people to become immersed in a reverent atmosphere.

Worship is what you make it. It can either be a grandiose production, or simply intimate time with your creator. Some people need the involvement or corporate behavior of other like-mided folks to get in the mood. Doesn't matter which one you are. Just worship in the way you feel is pleasing to Him, and in that same way you should be fulfulled by it.

AlboSooner
6/19/2011, 05:49 PM
There are many ways to worship God, however assembly with the body is a form of worship God demands.

SpankyNek
6/19/2011, 05:51 PM
There are many ways to worship God, however assembly with the body is a form of worship God demands.

I think it would be very easy to both substantiate and refute that with verse.

AlboSooner
6/19/2011, 05:57 PM
I think it would be very easy to both substantiate and refute that with verse.

I don't believe God would violate the law of non-contradiction. This verse:
And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.

Along with the countless mandates about the body of Christ, leave no room to refute that God demands assembly of the body.

SpankyNek
6/19/2011, 06:01 PM
For God so loved the world, that He gave his only begotten Son, That whosoever believeth in Him, shall not perish, but have everlasting life.

AlboSooner
6/19/2011, 06:06 PM
For God so loved the world, that He gave his only begotten Son, That whosoever believeth in Him, shall not perish, but have everlasting life.

Nek, how does John 3:16 refute the verse in Hebrews 10:26 about God demanding that his people do not forsake assembling together?

SpankyNek
6/19/2011, 06:10 PM
Nek, how does John 3:16 refute the verse in Hebrews 10:26 about God demanding that his people do not forsake assembling together?

I think that there are plenty of instances in which the Bible contradicts itself on the subject of the requirements of salvation...hence the myriad of denominations in the Christian faith.

Is baptism required?
Getting saved?
Confession?

I was just pointing out that many learned theologians differ on this point...I am still not 100% vested into any particular line of thought yet.

MelloYello
6/19/2011, 06:14 PM
I like fairy tales, too.

AlboSooner
6/19/2011, 06:15 PM
I think that there are plenty of instances in which the Bible contradicts itself on the subject of the requirements of salvation...hence the myriad of denominations in the Christian faith.

Is baptism required?
Getting saved?
Confession?

I was just pointing out that many learned theologians differ on this point...I am still not 100% vested into any particular line of thought yet.

The issues you brought up are totally different and so are John 3:16 and Hebrews 10:26. Hebrews 10:26 is an ordinance to the Church, to those already saved. Since all the major denominations partake in assembly, and preach assembly, I think Hebrews 10:26 is pretty much settled as far as Christianity is concerned.

OP asked: Do we have to meet with other people in a building or dwelling in order to worship him?

The Bible is clear that God demands for us to assemble together.

I like fairy tales, too.
Nobody doubts that. Difference is, no one here came to your fairy tale thread and took a shot at your fairy tales. I say this without a hint of sarcasm that there is no doubt you like fairy tales, and have subscribed your life to a fairy tale worldview.

SpankyNek
6/19/2011, 06:27 PM
The issues you brought up are totally different and so are John 3:16 and Hebrews 10:26. Hebrews 10:26 in an ordinance to the Church, to those already saved. Since all the major denominations partake in assembly, and preach assembly, I think Hebrews 10:26 is pretty much settled as far as Christianity is concerned.

OP asked: Do we have to meet with other people in a building or dwelling in order to worship him?

The Bible is clear that God demands for us to assemble together.
I guess that the question can be read a couple of ways.

I was pointing out that worship is not necessarily a requirement for salvation. (There are many more verses other than John 3:16 that state to believe in God is the only requirement to enter the Kingdom of Heaven).

87sooner
6/19/2011, 06:52 PM
For those in the know more than me...

I grew up going to church and so I have somewhat of a background on the issue. My question is about "worshiping" God. Do we have to meet with other people in a building or dwelling in order to worship him? Or can we just live a good life and allow that to be our worship to him?

you can worship God without attending church...
if you just want to "live a good life"....i think you will miss out on God's plan for you...
also..i think you fall into the luke warm category...

revelations 3: 15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

landrun
6/19/2011, 07:19 PM
You can worship God, and should worship God, outside of church. You don't need to be in church to worship God.

Having said that, most people who ask this questions never really worship God in or outside of church. And, they're looking for justification to stop going. I'm tempted to say to people who ask this, that if you don't want to go to church, don't. You're not scoring points with God if you go and don't want to be there anyway. But my real advice is to go, even if you don't want to. Perhaps you'll hear something one day that will be worth listening to and it will change your heart.

I'm not being self righteous. On the contrary. I've been there .... :cool:

starclassic tama
6/19/2011, 07:28 PM
i think all religions want you to assembly with others in order to multiply their group and lessen the impact of other competing religions

Blue
6/19/2011, 07:34 PM
i think all religions want you to assembly with others in order to multiply their group and lessen the impact of other competing religions

:rolleyes:

StoopTroup
6/19/2011, 10:40 PM
Here's a quote that is very sad about talking about Religion....

Wake up to the reality of the Internet. The immense freedom it harbours also hides dangers for your own professional future; dangers the more devastating because subtle and able to damage you whilst keeping you fully unaware of what is happening. And if you think that this problem only concerns people with extreme views or roaming the internet with illegal purposes ask everyone who works for reference checking firms, and think again.

This is pretty sad that people of Faith must feel this way.

The Maestro
6/20/2011, 10:18 AM
I think churches want you to show up on Sunday because it is much harder to get that money out of your pocket if you don't show up.

I wonder what the amount of money spent on elaborate buildings and fancy churches and upgrades galore each year is just in the United States? I also wonder how better that money could be spent taking care of the poor, sick and hungry as the Jesus you worship seems like he would probably do instead of the cathederals where the money gets wasted in a game of "ours is nicer than yours!"

Jammin'
6/20/2011, 10:28 AM
I think churches want you to show up on Sunday because it is much harder to get that money out of your pocket if you don't show up.

I wonder what the amount of money spent on elaborate buildings and fancy churches and upgrades galore each year is just in the United States? I also wonder how better that money could be spent taking care of the poor, sick and hungry as the Jesus you worship seems like he would probably do instead of the cathederals where the money gets wasted in a game of "ours is nicer than yours!"

Agreed. Church is a way for people who work a few days a week to make money off of you.

jk the sooner fan
6/20/2011, 10:39 AM
wow

tator
6/20/2011, 10:43 AM
There is no way this thread ends well. Good topic, OP :D

JohnnyMack
6/20/2011, 10:54 AM

Of course it is. Why do you think the Catholic Church is so anti-birth control? Why do Mormons promote that their members have such large families? Power in numbers. Might makes right.

87sooner
6/20/2011, 11:04 AM
Agreed. Church is a way for people who work a few days a week to make money off of you.

yeah....that's why "church" has been around all these years...

some of you seem a bit obsessed with holding on to "your" money....

Position Limit
6/20/2011, 11:04 AM
i see so many churches expanding, building bigger. becoming more intrusive. my question is, why dont the get their asses taxed to the gills?

87sooner
6/20/2011, 11:05 AM
Of course it is. Why do you think the Catholic Church is so anti-birth control? Why do Mormons promote that their members have such large families? Power in numbers. Might makes right.

you've got it all figured out...
ruling the world...that's our aim

87sooner
6/20/2011, 11:07 AM
]i see so many churches expanding, building bigger.[/B] becoming more intrusive. my question is, why dont the get their asses taxed to the gills?

that's just terrible...where is this country headed...

OhU1
6/20/2011, 11:14 AM

We earned "our" money. Who does "our" money belong to?

The Maestro
6/20/2011, 11:28 AM

Jim Bakker? Benny Hinn? Joel Osteen?

Build me an amusement park while making my lame uncle walk and then tell me if I am just happy and stay positive it all works out in the end.

As long as I send some $$$.

Jammin'
6/20/2011, 11:43 AM
yeah....that's why "church" has been around all these years...

Yep, people have been trying to scam others out of things in the name of god for a long, long time. It amazes me people still fall for it.

My money is already being used, through the federal gov't, to support a bunch of deadbeats who don't want to work. Why would I want to give what money I do keep to more people like that? I'll admit at least these folks try to put on a show for their money. (albeit a show aimed at making me feel like I'm not good enough unless I put some coin in the plate)

The
6/20/2011, 11:48 AM
The only reason people believe in an afterlife is because they are too narcissistic to imagine a world without them.

landrun
6/20/2011, 12:02 PM

Good and valid points. (And I mean that)

...but I will call your bluff here. How much money have you personally given to take care of the poor, sick and hungry? And how much of your own personal time have you given to care for these people? And if it is zero or very little, you have no room to talk. None.

You have put blame where it belongs. Now give credit where it is due. Without Christian churches in this country, the homeless would literally starve. There would be very few, if any, soup kitchens, shelters and missions in this country if it weren't for those greedy churches.

Jammin'
6/20/2011, 12:10 PM
Without Christian churches in this country, the homeless would literally starve. There would be very few, if any, soup kitchens, shelters and missions in this country if it weren't for those greedy churches.

Exactly. It amazes me any Republicans would ever go to or support a church but yet, there they are. Of course, during the week they spend their time railing on the gov't doing the exact same thing but I digress.

The Maestro
6/20/2011, 12:42 PM

...but I will call your bluff here. How much money have you personally given to take care of the poor, sick and hungry? And how much of your own personal time have you given to care for these people? And if it is zero or very little, you have no room to talk. None.

You have put blame where it belongs. Now give credit where it is due. Without Christian churches in this country, the homeless would literally starve. There would be very few, if any, soup kitchens, shelters and missions in this country if it weren't for those greedy churches.

Well, I am not claiming to be someone who wants to imitate the life of Christ, either. I am a preachers son so I understand the premise of church...and as my dad used to always say, "People outside of church want the walkie to match the talkie."

And while I agree a lot of good is done by churches for the down and out, homeless and hungry, the money wasted on elaborate buildings is still a waste. Simple buildings and using that money for the real cause of Christ seems like a better investment. I doubt Jesus went to any churches with stained glass windows.

87sooner
6/20/2011, 12:50 PM
Well, I am not claiming to be someone who wants to imitate the life of Christ, either. I am a preachers son so I understand the premise of church...and as my dad used to always say, "People outside of church want the walkie to match the talkie."

cool....
so you saw first hand how preachers operate....cleaning your wallets on sundays...

And while I agree a lot of good is done by churches for the down and out, homeless and hungry, the money wasted on elaborate buildings is still a waste. Simple buildings and using that money for the real cause of Christ seems like a better investment. I doubt Jesus went to any churches with stained glass windows.

if your old man taught you that...you need a new source for all matters Jesus.

imjebus
6/20/2011, 01:00 PM

All my money goes to the poor, sick and hungry. I moved my mother in law into my house after her husband died and she was left with nothing (poor), my wife has graves disease with no insurance (sick), and my kids are constantly hungry. So should I be criticized because I don't have any money to give strangers after all that? Or should we expect people to take care of their own family and maybe not as many people would need charity.....

The Maestro
6/20/2011, 01:01 PM
if your old man taught you that...you need a new source for all matters Jesus.

???

Not sure what you mean by that.

For what it is worth, I still consider my Dad the exception to the rule of preachers. He was more about pastoring...helping people in their time of need...he has never been a dollar seeker, other than what the Bible leads him to be in that role at church. He's a very good man who continuously considers others before he does himself. Being a preacher has never made him a lot of money...not why he got into it.

OutlandTrophy
6/20/2011, 01:04 PM
we sure have a large collection of evangelical athiests here at SF.com.

The
6/20/2011, 01:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/e9CPo.png

jk the sooner fan
6/20/2011, 01:10 PM
i've never been in a church where i was forced at gun point or under any other form of duress to tithe

ever

i do it because i see what the church is able to do with what they get

i think the "tax the churches" comment was rich - no problem screaming separation of church and state when there is a public prayer involved, but also ok with going against it just to squeeze money out of them

OhU1
6/20/2011, 01:12 PM

We're all just stating our opinions and having discussions. Nothing wrong with that is there?

I'm still waiting for an athiest to knock on my door and hand me a pamphlet . I've never had one ask me for a donation yet either. :)

jk the sooner fan
6/20/2011, 01:15 PM
I'm still waiting for an athiest to knock on my door and hand me a pamphlet . I've never had one ask me for a donation yet either. :)

no, they stand on the corners with cardboard signs asking for handouts....you know....beer money

delhalew
6/20/2011, 01:17 PM
Exactly. It amazes me any Republicans would ever go to or support a church but yet, there they are. Of course, during the week they spend their time railing on the gov't doing the exact same thing but I digress.

That couldn't be more incorrect. Charitable donations to church are given willingly, of ones free will. Government taxation, on the other hand is extracted at the point of a gun Those tax dollars are then squandered in a way that is intolerable. Those charitable donations, on the other hand, support and feed the needy, just as they did for centuries before the existence of welfare or Medicaid.

For the record, I haven't darkened a churchhouse door in decades. I don't feel I have any bias, save a devotion to logic.

87sooner
6/20/2011, 01:19 PM
???

Not sure what you mean by that.

there were no "churches" while Jesus was alive...

For what it is worth, I still consider my Dad the exception to the rule of preachers. He was more about pastoring...helping people in their time of need...he has never been a dollar seeker, other than what the Bible leads him to be in that role at church. He's a very good man who continuously considers others before he does himself. Being a preacher has never made him a lot of money...not why he got into it.

your dad is no exception...
those you listed...osteen....those are the exceptions...

JohnnyMack
6/20/2011, 01:21 PM
The main reason I don't belong to the Atheist/Humanist organizations here in Tulsa is that they spend too much time rallying against Christianity and not promoting their own brand. The Atheists around here really do need to work on their image. I'm the first to admit that with 3 young kids and traveling for work (no jk, I don't sit around and beg for gubmint assistance) I can't spend as much time working with the local organizations as I'd like, but these groups have some really good folks who lack direction.

The
6/20/2011, 01:24 PM
i've never been in a church where i was forced at gun point or under any other form of duress to tithe

ever

i do it because i see what the church is able to do with what they get

i think the "tax the churches" comment was rich - no problem screaming separation of church and state when there is a public prayer involved, but also ok with going against it just to squeeze money out of them

Churches are nothing more than PACs that are funded by fraud.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/3686/crystalcathedral.jpg

Jammin'
6/20/2011, 01:33 PM
That couldn't be more incorrect. Charitable donations to church are given willingly, of ones free will. Government taxation, on the other hand is extracted at the point of a gun Those tax dollars are then squandered in a way that is intolerable. Those charitable donations, on the other hand, support and feed the needy, just as they did for centuries before the existence of welfare or Medicaid.

For the record, I haven't darkened a churchhouse door in decades. I don't feel I have any byas, save a devotion to logic.

I agree with you actually. I didn't mean to imply I thought that the gov't programs and church programs were exactly the same.

I do believe that many that are mad about free gov't handouts do support similar programs through their church, which is weird because much of the money that is given to the church isn't actually used on the poor either. Similar tactics but yes, the church doesn't do so at gun point. (they are more peer pressure oriented)

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/20/2011, 01:38 PM
there were no "churches" while Jesus was alive...

your dad is no exception...
those you listed...osteen....those are the exceptions...

Just technically the temple in Jerusalem and arguably one in the Egyptian Delta that was the true temple because it was run by Zadokite Priest. Technically this thread is church, because two or more people are discussing the Lord. If God is real, he/she will find you and inspire you. If he/she isn't real, then so be it, It doesn't lessen the message of a young first century Jewish man who believed in the principles of Bill & Ted...Just be excellent to each other...

soonercruiser
6/20/2011, 01:41 PM
I agree with you actually. I didn't mean to imply I thought that the gov't programs and church programs were exactly the same.

I do believe that many that are mad about free gov't handouts do support similar programs through their church, which is weird because much of the money that is given to the church isn't actually used on the poor either. Similar tactics but yes, the church doesn't do so at gun point. (they are more peer pressure oriented)

It bigger than that yet....proving a previous comment about "Republicans" is WRONG!
There are plenty of retrospective studies out their showing that conservatives, Republicans, and church goers "give" many more times to charitable causes than Democrats or non-believers.

Opinions stated, yes....but....
It has been rather interesting to see how many of you guys either ignore parts of scripture; or, flat out misquote scripture on the valve of "community worship".

delhalew
6/20/2011, 01:42 PM

Ahhh, I see. However, churches are famous for stretching a dollar. From the local soup kitchen, to donations for medical bills, and flying rice to third world countries.

I feel the need to point out that I don't know any Conservatives that are against helping the truly needy. It's just a matter of doing it well, and doing it voluntarily.

Jammin'
6/20/2011, 01:45 PM
It bigger than that yet....proving a previous comment about "Republicans" is WRONG!
There are plenty of retrospective studies out their showing that conservatives, Republicans, and church goers "give" many more times to charitable causes than Democrats or non-believers.

Opinions stated, yes....but....
It has been rather interesting to see how many of you guys either ignore parts of scripture; or, flat out misquote scripture on the valve of "community worship".

If I was even close to quoting a scripture it was by complete accident.

Ahhh, I see. However, churches are famous for stretching a dollar. From the local soup kitchen, to donations for medical bills, and flying rice to third world countries.

I feel the need to point out that I don't know any Conservatives that are against helping the truly needy. It's just a matter of doing it well, and doing it voluntarily.

I feel the need to point out I'm a lot better at discussing beer than I am god or church. ;)

delhalew
6/20/2011, 01:54 PM
I wI feel the need to point out I'm a lot better at discussing beer than I am god or church. ;)

I hear you. The last thing church goers need, is my heathen *** arguing their point for them. It just happens to overlap with what's wrong with our government.