PDA

View Full Version : Why Isn't this Man a Superstar?

lexsooner
6/18/2011, 12:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQhECkexmSI

He's the great Aussie Tommy Emmanuel, considered the best acoustic guitarist in the world, and as great of a showman as he is a picker. He's in the Pickers' Hall of Fame along with Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed. I try and go see Tommy whenever he comes to Kentucky. As amazing as he is, he has flown under the radar of the mainstream media over the years. A few years ago he was supposed to appear on The Tonight Show with Chet Atkins, but Chet took it upon himself to pass away before that could happen. Tommy is tight with Keith Urban and others Nashville stars, but I do wonder if he just does not care about becoming a household name.

StoopTroup
6/18/2011, 01:18 PM
I don't know....maybe because he doesn't push it? Why is Nashville and Austin a Music Mecca when Tulsa has been a huge supporter of live Music for decades?

Is it a coincidence that every time one of these talent shows has a bunch of new contestants that a good number of folks who do well are from our beloved State?

sheepdogs
6/18/2011, 02:02 PM
He is a superstar, but at the same time all you have to do is put a guitar in his hands and that is enough satisfaction for him. He is also too humble of a person to climb the ladder of superstardom that others with either an ego or chip on their shoulder naturally aspire to.

lexsooner
6/18/2011, 02:17 PM
He is a superstar, but at the same time all you have to do is put a guitar in his hands and that is enough satisfaction for him. He is also too humble of a person to climb the ladder of superstardom that others with either an ego or chip on their shoulder naturally aspire to.

You are right. He is a superstar as far as musical talent and showmanship. He just is not a superstar in terms of fame and status. Tommy probably doesn't care about it, and fame and money and status do not make people happier, but part of me just wants to see his music loved by more people.

MelloYello
6/18/2011, 03:01 PM
Incredible.

His renditions of "Classical Gas" are equally as sick.