PDA

View Full Version : SI Ranks * As Best Coaching Job in America...

SoonerBacker
6/18/2011, 12:10 PM
However, the article also states, "Remember, this isn't a ranking of the actual on-field product. If your favorite team is good and isn't on this list, it means your team's coach is excellent. If your team is on this list and isn't good, it means your team might need to hire a new coach soon.

So does * need to fire Mack soon, or does replacing all of your assistant coaches count? :pop:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/06/03/best-college-football-jobs/?xid=si_ncaaf

StoopTroup
6/18/2011, 12:12 PM
Well yeah....All you have to do is win 1 National Championship now. Before Mack the bar was even lower than that.

agoo758
6/18/2011, 02:51 PM
This list fails to take into account factors such as fans and boosters choking you with unrealistic expectations, and wanting to control your actions and words. This is why I wouldn't put Notre Dame or Texas on this list.

soonerinabilene
6/18/2011, 04:18 PM
This list fails to take into account factors such as fans and boosters choking you with unrealistic expectations, and wanting to control your actions and words. This is why I wouldn't put Notre Dame or Texas on this list.

They stuck with Mack for 13 years, and only two of them were great teams. Id agree when you consider location, pay, $ available to the program, recruiting sources, and no state income tax. It probably is the best place if you are a good enough coach to win over the fans, like mack did.

agoo758
6/18/2011, 05:04 PM
They stuck with Mack for 13 years,

He's won 10 games just about every year he's there, albeit not all with great teams, and one bad season and they are all looking to fire him. But frankly, Brown's snobby attitude fits well with all the jerks in Austin. A guy like Stoops would want out after a month.

JLEW1818
6/18/2011, 05:11 PM
5-7

Quik Sand
6/18/2011, 06:15 PM
5-7GREAT point :D

King Barry's Back
6/18/2011, 07:05 PM
They stuck with Mack for 13 years, and only two of them were great teams. Id agree when you consider location, pay, $ available to the program, recruiting sources, and no state income tax. It probably is the best place if you are a good enough coach to win over the fans, like mack did.

This is about right.

Look, EVERY conference in the country, regardless of their geographic location, has apparently told TX that they are holding an invitation for them. Even mighty Oklahoma said publicly that "We will go wherever TX goes." And OkSt said, "We will go wherever OU goes." And Tech and Baylor were openly begging to stay with TX.

And the only reason that a Big XII Conference exists is because TX decided to allow it to exist.

And all of that power comes from one sport, and one sport only -- football.

It's pretty clear that, like it or not, head football coach at the University of Texas is a pretty darn powerful position, and that just about any other coach would be upgrading his resume by moving to UT.

I'm wondering about OU ranked third. Nice to see us ranked so highly, but really, did anybody put our coach as the third best job in the country during the Blake years? And, other than the excellent job done by Bob Stoops, what's changed?

And could it just as easily change back?

SoonerBacker
6/18/2011, 07:12 PM
This guy's assertion that the "on the field product" has nothing to do with the qulaity of the coaching position seems a bit utopian to me. EX: I don't think the Notre Dame position is nearly as attractive as it once was. Heck! Their recruitment base is virtually nationwide. But the hard times they have fallen upon has dramatically altered people's perceptions of the ND head coaching position.

Soonermagik
6/18/2011, 07:54 PM
I'm happy with Mack. ;)

the_ouskull
6/18/2011, 11:31 PM
GREAT point :D

Right? That kid got smarter while I was gone.

(Note: I have no idea, and, honestly, he probably didn't... but that was a very well thought-out, logical post that he made just then, and I wanted to openly acknowledge it.)

the_ouskull

Sooner Cal
6/18/2011, 11:32 PM
Bob and Barry knew what made OU special. Texas has money. Ohio State has money. Bama, Georgia, Florida and LSU have their beloved SEC. But OU has championships and the winning streak. It has the best winning record in the modern era, 3 coaches with over 100 wins, as well as drills and a defense named after it. OU holds rushing records and passing records and we are known for innovation by Bud. Barry and Bob. And no one has a better fan base. As proof, I'd offer than none of the mighty SEC teams want to bolt to the Big XII where they have to go through OU to win a championship. They know they couldn't beat us if we played in November rather than January.

Flagstaffsooner
6/18/2011, 11:55 PM
I'm happy with Mack. ;)
Fred Akers was better.:D

agoo758
6/19/2011, 12:20 AM
Fred Akers was better.:D

John Mackovic!!:pop:

Salt City Sooner
6/19/2011, 02:36 AM
Switzer himself has said on numerous occasions that UT is the best job in America.

XingTheRubicon
6/20/2011, 09:45 AM
People have short memories. Before Mack got there in '98, texas sucked for 2 decades. No one considered that post too valuable when Freddy Akers was leaving for the Akron Zips. texas has a ton of money, so what, so does A&M.

The 2 richest schools, by far, in the original Big XII are a distant 3rd and 5th in the conference for skins on the wall in football.

yankee
6/20/2011, 09:28 PM
Backed by a very good athletic administration. Athletic program makes more money than any other in the nation. Huge stadium. Top notch facilities. Solid fanbase (barf). Right in the middle of the most fertile recruiting ground in the nation.

I bleed crimson and cream, but Mack and company has done a very good job of turning ut back into a top 5 job in the country.

Sabanball
6/21/2011, 07:02 PM
Switzer himself has said on numerous occasions that UT is the best job in America.

...and I agree with him. Measured in terms of money, resources, facilities, committment to the success of the program, recruiting base, fan support, and media exposure, I would also rank the Texas job, RIGHT NOW, as the best job in America for a HC.