PDA

View Full Version : Public Service Announcement: You need a refresher course on . . .

OK2LA
6/18/2011, 12:09 AM
How to drive.

When making a U-turn - do not pull out in front of someone, or impede the flow of traffic going the direction you wish to go.

1. If you break this rule - do not be surprised if said driver that you pulled in front of comes dangerously close to your bumper trying to avoid hitting you.

2. If #1. happens, do not throw your hands up in the air = asking the rhetorical non-verbal question: "What's up?!?" (and then tap the brakes - are you kidding me?) looking in the rear view mirror like the car that almost impaled you is in the wrong.

Pricetag
6/18/2011, 12:23 AM
What is the actual law on U turns here in Oklahoma? I thought that when they were made legal again, it was with the caveat that they were still illegal at major intersections. Every time I see a near miss with one, it's always at a big interesction with traffic lights and multiple lanes.

I had a near miss not too long ago when I was turning right on a green arrow. A guy turning left on a green arrow from the opposing lane next to the one I was turning into pulled a U-ey, and he almost hit me.

StoopTroup
6/18/2011, 12:34 AM
If you bastids don't know the law....I think you better go get yourself a driving instructor

http://www.0nlinefreemovies.com/wp-content/plugins/RSSPoster_PRO/cache/2e93b_conehead-180-031511.jpg

GKeeper316
6/18/2011, 12:48 AM
its the same as a left turn. you wait for oncoming traffic to clear before you go. not hard.

OK2LA
6/18/2011, 01:12 AM
How to walk -

Similar to driving. When you're walking towards someone - stay to the right. Do not go left.

No excuses.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/18/2011, 09:57 AM
And if I'm making a U-turn on a green light, don't "right-turn-on-red" while I'm doing it.

Midtowner
6/18/2011, 11:14 AM
http://www.dps.state.ok.us/dls/pub/ODM.pdf

^ The Oklahoma Driver's Manual

--One thing most drivers get wrong in making u-turns, especially in medians is that they don't go to the far side of the median, instead turning (pivoting) from the inside portion.

yermom
6/18/2011, 11:20 AM
all this assumes that people are paying attention and give a damn about anyone but themselves

they aren't and they don't :D

the sooner you realize that, the safer you are...

Frozen Sooner
6/18/2011, 11:24 AM
Driving-wise?

1. If you are turning from a side street, you are not allowed to turn into the breakdown lane. That is for the sole use of people on the main street turning left onto a side street.

2. If you have a flashing red and I have a flashing yellow, you stop until I get through the intersection.

3. A traffic light that is malfunctioning is a four-way stop.

4. If I'm well behind you, I'm on the freeway, and you're merging from an onramp, when I slow down a bit, I'm letting you in. It's called defensive driving. Please do not slow down to 20 on the onramp. Merge into traffic.

Frozen Sooner
6/18/2011, 11:27 AM
5. Also, and this has personal relevance to me, if you're going to ****ing China for three months and loan your car to some ****ing exchange student who can't drive for ****, make sure you tell your insurance company you've loaned your car to the guy so they don't have to wait three months before paying for the damage said permissive driver does to someone else's car.

SpankyNek
6/18/2011, 11:30 AM
What is the actual law on U turns here in Oklahoma? I thought that when they were made legal again, it was with the caveat that they were still illegal at major intersections. Every time I see a near miss with one, it's always at a big interesction with traffic lights and multiple lanes.

I had a near miss not too long ago when I was turning right on a green arrow. A guy turning left on a green arrow from the opposing lane next to the one I was turning into pulled a U-ey, and he almost hit me.

Were U-Turns ever illegal?

I was always taught that U-turns are always allowed unless posted to the contrary.

yermom
6/18/2011, 11:42 AM
I'm not sure if it was a Tulsa or Oklahoma thing... when I learned to drive in the early '90s they were illegal.

hawaii 5-0
6/18/2011, 11:44 AM
When ever someone in Hawaii calls me out for my bad driving I just say, "Oh, it's OK. I'm from Oklahoma."

5-0

Trump/ Les 2012

A Sooner in Texas
6/18/2011, 12:01 PM
I'm not sure if it was a Tulsa or Oklahoma thing... when I learned to drive in the early '90s they were illegal.

You scared the hell out of me with that avvie. Then I saw your name and breathed a sigh of relief.:D

OK2LA
6/18/2011, 09:43 PM
Driving-wise?

4. If I'm well behind you, I'm on the freeway, and you're merging from an onramp, when I slow down a bit, I'm letting you in. It's called defensive driving. Please do not slow down to 20 on the onramp. Merge into traffic.

yes.

jkjsooner
6/19/2011, 09:41 AM

That's actually really common. Sometimes when there is a green right arrow they have either a no u-turn sign or a sign stating that a u-turn on green arrow must yield to right turns. Unfortunately, they don't always have such a sign and the guy making the u-turn on a left green arrow has no way to know that there is a right green arrow as well. Nine times out of ten the guy making a right is doing so on a red....

They really need warning signs at every intersection where they have this...

jkjsooner
6/19/2011, 09:52 AM
Driving-wise?

3. A traffic light that is malfunctioning is a four-way stop.

On #3, I can't remember how many times there's been a power outage and people on the main street just fly through it expecting people on the side street to stop. When I stop at the malfunctioning light and let a person from the side street by, people have no clue why I'm doing it.

I don't think it's because people don't know the law. I think it's because once that pattern starts, all the jerks feel like they have a right to do what everyone else is doing and drive on through the intersection;

#4, yep, I slow down like that as well. It's not only defensive but courteous. Unfortunately at times it can create dangerous situations if the car does almost stop on the entry lane.

You have to realize that there are inexperienced drivers out there. They're slowing down because they're not experienced enough to recognize with 100% certainty that you are letting them in. When I was 16 I was just like them. I was terrible at entering limited access roads. Only with a little experience and confidence did I obtain the necessary level of aggressiveness.

OK2LA
6/23/2011, 10:10 PM
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/5250/drivera.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/683/drivera.jpg/)

Care of "The Chive"

Pricetag
6/23/2011, 10:45 PM
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4567/lanediagram.jpg