View Full Version : "Why Aren't You Speaking English?"

Wishboned
6/17/2011, 09:27 PM
This made me laugh.

MoR3qLgL_uU

soonercruiser
6/17/2011, 10:17 PM
Typical anti-American behavior!
Been in the country since 1988....wants to testify as to proposed Texas law and it's affect on other Americans???
No! Affects on illegal immigrants, maybe!

I'd feel more confortable tesitfying in female clothing!
(Just because it's hot!)
:pop:

87sooner
6/17/2011, 10:19 PM
look for this senator to be "weinered" in the near future...

salth2o
6/17/2011, 10:27 PM
Borders, language, culture. Lose these and your country is lost as well.

Curly Bill
6/17/2011, 10:27 PM

In Texas? Hell, if anything he should run for governor just as soon as he can. :D

StoopTroup
6/17/2011, 10:45 PM

Which one the one who wanted him to speak English or the one who sold the Senator who was insulted out for votes? LMAO

TheHumanAlphabet
6/18/2011, 02:47 PM
Man, this is great. The joker lives in the country 20+ years and can't speak English at a Senate testimony. I bet he was given his citizenship with Reagan's amnesty, he didn't earn or truly want it.

BTW, A good friend last week took the oath of citizenship, earned it and applied via the law. She hates all the illegals wanting amnesty for demeaning the process she took to earn citizenship.

stoopified
6/18/2011, 07:50 PM
Makes as much sense as the protests a couple a years back concerning US immigration laws,the mobs were marching under MEXICAN flags at all these rallies.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/18/2011, 09:42 PM
Y'all take your meds to keep your blood pressure under control.

stoopified
6/18/2011, 11:18 PM
Y'all take your meds to keep your blood pressure under control.I do,thanks-Topral

Sooner98
6/18/2011, 11:32 PM
How lazy does one have to be to live in a country for 23 years, and still not be comfortable enough to speak the predominant language of that country?

Ctina
6/19/2011, 01:19 AM
Why can't he speak Spanish? We have no official language, he can speak what he wants. This is still America, isn't it?

SCOUT
6/19/2011, 01:21 AM
Why can't he speak Spanish? We have no official language, he can speak what he wants. This is still America, isn't it?

When in Rome... It is a courtesy at a minimum.

Ctina
6/19/2011, 01:32 AM
When in Rome... It is a courtesy at a minimum.

True, but he did have a translator. He is capable of speaking English but was more comfortable testifying in his native tongue. I don't see any "insult" in that.

I am much more offended at the American jackholes who don't say "Thank you" when I hold the door open for them or understand how to merge onto the highway. Courtesy is already a lost art.

SCOUT
6/19/2011, 02:14 AM
After 23 years, I believe it is possible to learn a language. If you are going to address an english speaking board, it isn't too much to ask to address them directly.

Your offense to lack of courtesy is funny given the situation. You can be offended by the lack of a thank you, but others are un-American if they are offended by this social slight?

Are you suggesting that since courtesy isn't an absolute, it should be abandoned?

Mongo
6/19/2011, 06:02 AM
the dude can speak english. he chose to speak spanish w/ an interpreter because he felt more comfortable.

jk the sooner fan
6/19/2011, 06:35 AM
i applaud the senator for calling out the non english speaking mo fo

oumartin
6/19/2011, 07:19 AM
How lazy does one have to be to live in a country for 23 years, and still not be comfortable enough to speak the predominant language of that country?

I believe he is speaking the predominant language of this country.

Chuck Bao
6/19/2011, 09:17 AM
What the hell are some of you talking about? Exactly how many languages do you speak so fluently that you can in a high stress situation?

I have lived in Thailand for the exact same 23 years. I am occasionally invited to speak at a conference. There is no way in hell that I could do it in Thai language and I will never be asked to do it. I cannot think of any American (not descended from at least one Asian parent) who can deliver a formal speech in Thai language comfortably. Yeah, we white-skinned Americans living in Thailand can go about our personal lives using Thai and even use Thai at work. It is easy and often to even think or dream in Thai. And, some very few Americans even get beyond elementary school level of writing Thai.

I have heard Americans speak in Thai publicly. That is exactly how it sounds - written by an elementary school kid. It is just so cringeworthy and painful and pathetic. Yeah, Thais are just too polite to be openly laughing their *** off.

In my humble opinion, that Texas senator is a Texas-sized jack ***.

jk the sooner fan
6/19/2011, 09:23 AM
if you CHOOSE or ELECT to go in front of a legislative body for the purpose of advocating your cause - and you know that the people you are testifying to speak a certain language - you're a damn fool if you think you're going to get your point across or "be heard" by speaking thru an interpreter

high stress? he wasnt there under duress or subpoena

That Texas senator simply echoed the very same thoughts of a MAJORITY of his constituents......I doubt Thailand has the immigration problems that we do here

Mongo
6/19/2011, 09:34 AM
What the hell are some of you talking about? Exactly how many languages do you speak so fluently that you can in a high stress situation?

I have lived in Thailand for the exact same 23 years. I am occasionally invited to speak at a conference. There is no way in hell that I could do it in Thai language and I will never be asked to do it. I cannot think of any American (not descended from at least one Asian parent) who can deliver a formal speech in Thai language comfortably. Yeah, we white-skinned Americans living in Thailand can go about our personal lives using Thai and even use Thai at work. It is easy and often to even think or dream in Thai. And, some very few Americans even get beyond elementary school level of writing Thai.

I have heard Americans speak in Thai publicly. That is exactly how it sounds - written by an elementary school kid. It is just so cringeworthy and painful and pathetic. Yeah, Thais are just too polite to be openly laughing their *** off.

since you have decided to make Thailand your home, isnt it upon you to learn the popular language properly as to not sound like a jackass while speaking? broken english, or someone who at least tries it, would go alot farther than some jackass using an interpreter in this country

Doged
6/19/2011, 09:40 AM
That's great that you're comfortable immigrating to a nation and then not bothering to educate yourself enough to speak publicly in your new nation's language.

Do you also fly your American flag all over the place? Do you constantly spout off about how much better America is than the nation you left America to live in? Do you refuse to make any effort at all to conform to the traditions and societal norms of the nation you chose to immigrate to, instead demanding that your nation change to match American ways?

If so, you're as much of a jackhole as all the Mexican jackholes that do that crap in this nation.

If I ever chose to immigrate, I'd do so to a nation I could be proud to be a citizen of, and I'd work my butt off to become a good citizen of that nation while still occassionally showing off a little of my old American heritage to my new friends in a way that didn't demean anything about my pride in my new nation.

If I couldn't do that, I wouldn't move there.

jk the sooner fan
6/19/2011, 09:42 AM
That's great that you're comfortable immigrating to a nation and then not bothering to educate yourself enough to speak publicly in your new nation's language.

Do you also fly your American flag all over the place? Do you constantly spout off about how much better America is than the nation you left America to live in? Do you refuse to make any effort at all to conform to the traditions and societal norms of the nation you chose to immigrate to, instead demanding that your nation change to match American ways?

If so, you're as much of a jackhole as all the Mexican jackholes that do that crap in this nation.

If I ever chose to immigrate, I'd do so to a nation I could be proud to be a citizen of, and I'd work my butt off to become a good citizen of that nation while still occassionally showing off a little of my old American heritage to my new friends in a way that didn't demean anything about my pride in my new nation.

Clark.....that there is beautiful

Chuck Bao
6/19/2011, 09:51 AM
if you CHOOSE or ELECT to go in front of a legislative body for the purpose of advocating your cause - and you know that the people you are testifying to speak a certain language - you're a damn fool if you think you're going to get your point across or "be heard" by speaking thru an interpreter

That Texas senator simply echoed the very same thoughts of a MAJORITY of his constituents......I doubt Thailand has the immigration problems that we do here

I don't know if I entirely agree. I think some people, including the Bank of Thailand and the government policy think tank do respect and value my opinions.

I am invited to give my viewpoint because maybe they want to want to hear what I have to say.

I have no idea who this guy is. I don't imagine that just anyone gets a chance to give testimony in front of a state senate hearing. He must have something to say, but he didn't seem to actually say it because he was so badly intimated. That is just not the American way. As you said yourself, this was a hearing, not a subpoena testimony. Why did that senator need to act like a total dick and take the few seconds for the translation?

And, Thailand does have as bad of an immigration problem as the US. There is a country just to the west called Burma that has driven out many of its citizens through extremely irrational and oppressive policies. There is an extremely long border. Thailand, meanwhile, has a critical shortage of labor. Sound familiar?

jk the sooner fan
6/19/2011, 09:58 AM
really? how many million burmese have migrated to Thailand?

the senator wanted to get his point across - thus the term "reprimand".....did you expect him to get his message across by being a puss?

the guy testifying represented a group advocating some type of immigration reform - i dont know the particulars - but he was there to sway the legislature's opinion on whatever the bill was they were considering

it was obvious to me from the video he spoke some english - if it were me i would have made an attempt to speak in english - and then used the interpreter to cover those words or phrases he wasnt comfortable with

pphilfran
6/19/2011, 10:00 AM
I don't know if I entirely agree. I think some people, including the Bank of Thailand and the government policy think tank do respect and value my opinions.

I am invited to give my viewpoint because maybe they want to want to hear what I have to say.

I have no idea who this guy is. I don't imagine that just anyone gets a chance to give testimony in front of a state senate hearing. He must have something to say, but he didn't seem to actually say it because he was so badly intimated. That is just not the American way. As you said yourself, this was a hearing, not a subpoena testimony. Why did that senator need to act like a total dick and take the few seconds for the translation?

And, Thailand does have as bad of an immigration problem as the US. There is a country just to the west called Burma that has driven out many of its citizens through extremely irrational and oppressive policies. There is an extremely long border. Thailand, meanwhile, has a critical shortage of labor. Sound familiar?

The US does not have a serious shortage of labor...

SanJoaquinSooner
6/19/2011, 10:01 AM

What he should have done is end his speech, by saying "Ich bin ein Texan!"

Mongo
6/19/2011, 10:13 AM

or maybe you shouldnt be a partisan sympathizer spouting bull**** rhetoric

Chuck Bao
6/19/2011, 10:22 AM
since you have decided to make Thailand your home, isnt it upon you to learn the popular language properly as to not sound like a jackass while speaking? broken english, or someone who at least tries it, would go alot farther than some jackass using an interpreter in this country

I do make an effort. Nope and I speak almost 100% in Thai language. He understands me and we get on. My new office colleagues are impressed that it just comes out sounding right and naturally (when I don't think about it).

That is the only way that it would. It has to come out without thinking. If I think about it, it will always come out really, really wrong.

I remember studying German at the university for a year. It just drove me so crazy thinking about conjugating the German verbs. I could write it but speaking was never natural.

Thai is 10x easier on grammar. Thai grammar rules can be put on the inside cover of a box of paper matches.

But, Thai is still 10x harder for Westerns to learn because it is a tonal language. Instead of grammar, you have to deal with tones. For example, there are three "m" consonants in their alphabet representing rising, falling and steady tones. Then there are vowels which signal a tone and then four tonal markers that reverse or switch the tone. Like English, Thai was construction from various regional languages, and the oldest words came from ancient Sanskrit. For these old words, they tried to be true to the Sanskrit spelling when it really didn't make sense in modern pronunciation, just like modern English does with old English and old French.

I think my point is that it has to flow and be natural. I can read Thai, very slowly, but I can. I certainly can't write Thai at all. No Americans I know can.

In summary, I don't think that anyone here feels that I am disrespecting them and trust me they are very quick to pick up on that sort of thing.

jk the sooner fan
6/19/2011, 10:25 AM
oh Chuck speak Thai.......Chuck speak Thai VERY WELL.....
http://www.homevideos.com/freezeframes2/MeetTheParents25.jpeg

Turd_Ferguson
6/19/2011, 10:28 AM
ไทยง่ายต่อการเขียน

pfff...that was easy.

Mongo
6/19/2011, 10:29 AM
thai is ten times harder? therefor engrish should be ten times easier to learn. Nope learn it in preparation of yall moving back state side?

mexican is easy. tex mex even easier. I can converse with ESL peeps just fine, and that is with only two years of high school spanish, and several more years of being exposed to it.

this dude has lived in the US for a couple of decades. this was a slap in the face to the Tejas government, plain and simple.he planned it as such, and got properly called out on it.

Flagstaffsooner
6/19/2011, 10:33 AM
ไทยง่ายต่อการเขียน

pfff...that was easy.

So is Chuck.;)

picasso
6/19/2011, 10:34 AM
I am much more offended at the American jackholes who don't say "Thank you" when I hold the door open for them or understand how to merge onto the highway. Courtesy is already a lost art.

:D

Chuck Bao
6/19/2011, 10:38 AM

Oops! Did I do it all wrong? I actually do have a large American flag and a large OU flag. I don't actually fly either one right now.

I think to fly the American flag I need spotlights on it 24/7 or raise it at sun up and lower it at sun down. Since I am not so sure that I am available, I am not doing that. Besides I guarantee you that nobody here is offended by it.

Maybe special occasions like Obama's election to president and Osama's death I might put it on my big glass condo window for a few hours.

Weekends that the Sooners play I may put that flag up. Okay, I didn't last year even though I live in a Red Shirt neighborhood. Sporting Red is not a good thing. If it were Liverpool or MU flags everyone knows. OU not so much.

Where was I? Alright Mr Doged, when you tell me your second language then I will promise to redouble my efforts to learn more Thai.

okie52
6/19/2011, 10:41 AM

Ummm, if I lived in Mexico for 23 years I'm pretty sure I'd have their language mastered. Don't think it would even be a big effort.

Chuck Bao
6/19/2011, 10:55 AM
Ummm, if I lived in Mexico for 23 years I'm pretty sure I'd have their language mastered. Don't think it would even be a big effort.

My hat is off to you, dude. You are a far better man than I am.

Okay, let's hear some of that beautiful Spanish language.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/19/2011, 11:50 AM

1. Okie, not everyone is as conscientious and as selfless as you are. For example, San Miguel de Allende has a large ex-pat population. The native population complains about those who never bother to learn Spanish, expecting retail workers to speak English. It's common for the ex-pats to send their maid/cook to school to learn English.

2. Public relations-wise you may claim that he would have been better off delivering his remarks in English, since he is an English speaker. But it's ridiculous to think it would have made any difference in how the senators voted on the issue at hand.

3. Public speaking is often cited as the greatest fear people have - more than spiders or snakes or heights or even death. Many people don't have the balls to speak publicly even in their native language.

4. I doubt the senator was really insulted by it. Senators are not usually so thin-skinned. Senators love to grandstand so that they become the center of attention. Anyone who has ever watched C-Span knows the truth of this... true whether it's a state senator or a U.S. senator.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/19/2011, 12:26 PM

or maybe you shouldnt be a partisan sympathizer spouting bull**** rhetoric

I don't know what you're talking about. Even pubs thought Kennedy's Berlin speech, albeit in English translated into German through an interpreter, was a great speech.

Doged
6/19/2011, 12:28 PM
Where was I? Alright Mr Doged, when you tell me your second language then I will promise to redouble my efforts to learn more Thai.

Russian, courtesy of the cold war.

Mongo
6/19/2011, 12:29 PM
I don't know what you're talking about. Even pubs thought Kennedy's Berlin speech, albeit in English translated into German through an interpreter, was a great speech.

how much of his speech was German? you have a biased dog in this fight and you know it

SCOUT
6/19/2011, 01:05 PM

Learning a new latin based language is not even close to the same as learning a different type of language. English, French, Spanish, Italian, Portugese are lanugagues that should be relatively easy to change between.

I speak a little French and some Spanish. It took me one semeseter each. I speak more spanish because I am exposed to it more.

If I were immersed in it, and gave a crap, I would be speaking flawless in a matter of years.

As an aside, I have several friends from Viet Nam who speak flawless english after about 5 years. One learned from watching Leave it to Beaver re-runs.

GrapevineSooner
6/19/2011, 01:35 PM
Just MHO,

But when an immigration activist who has been in this country since 1988 goes in front of the Texas State Senate and speaks on the issue of IMMIGRATION REFORM and refuses to address the body in English, it tells me he wants others to bend to his will on this specific issue, but is showing no inclination to hold up his end of the bargain.

But YMMV.

Ctina
6/19/2011, 02:30 PM
After 23 years, I believe it is possible to learn a language. If you are going to address an english speaking board, it isn't too much to ask to address them directly.

Your offense to lack of courtesy is funny given the situation. You can be offended by the lack of a thank you, but others are un-American if they are offended by this social slight?

Are you suggesting that since courtesy isn't an absolute, it should be abandoned?

I don't know who is supposed to be un-American, I never said anything about that. I'm saying there is a bias against him because he's Mexican. As others have noted (Thank you, Chuck!), public speaking is difficult enough and when it's a second language, it is even more difficult. If he spoke in English and was less than perfect, he would be more likely to be disregarded as uneducated. He spoke in Spanish where he could more eloquently make his point. I speak some Spanish and feel like a dork half the time, even when I'm comfortably speaking with my Mexican friends. My point with the lack of thank you's was that day-to-day courtesy is fading anyway, why make a huge deal about it and make someone feel bad in a public setting when he was there and trying to make a difference in his and his family's lives. If he has gone through the system and been made a citizen, he has the right to speak whichever language he pleases, particularly as he has made provisions to be translated for and understood. This is America. That is his right.

If I were immersed in it, and gave a crap, I would be speaking flawless in a matter of years.

FYI, it's "flawlessly". Your protestations about being able to speak perfect Spanish if you lived in a Spanish-speaking country would be more effective if you could write English perfectly. I'm only pointing this out to show that none of us are perfect and you weaken your "argument" by insisting that you would be, therefore you are better than the poor, dumb, bast*rd you are belittling. It is easier said than done. (I try to keep my grammar-Nazi tendencies in my head but there was a point to be made with it this time. At least I ignored the misspellings in your posts.);)

pphilfran
6/19/2011, 03:18 PM
I don't know who is supposed to be un-American, I never said anything about that. I'm saying there is a bias against him because he's Mexican. As others have noted (Thank you, Chuck!), public speaking is difficult enough and when it's a second language, it is even more difficult. If he spoke in English and was less than perfect, he would be more likely to be disregarded as uneducated. He spoke in Spanish where he could more eloquently make his point. I speak some Spanish and feel like a dork half the time, even when I'm comfortably speaking with my Mexican friends. My point with the lack of thank you's was that day-to-day courtesy is fading anyway, why make a huge deal about it and make someone feel bad in a public setting when he was there and trying to make a difference in his and his family's lives. If he has gone through the system and been made a citizen, he has the right to speak whichever language he pleases, particularly as he has made provisions to be translated for and understood. This is America. That is his right.

FYI, it's "flawlessly". Your protestations about being able to speak perfect Spanish if you lived in a Spanish-speaking country would be more effective if you could write English perfectly. I'm only pointing this out to show that none of us are perfect and you weaken your "argument" by insisting that you would be, therefore you are better than the poor, dumb, bast*rd you are belittling. It is easier said than done. (I try to keep my grammar-Nazi tendencies in my head but there was a point to be made with it this time. At least I ignored the misspellings in your posts.);)

Give me an f'n break...if the guy was afraid of public speaking why was he in front of a bunch of folks attempting to push forward his agenda?

SanJoaquinSooner
6/19/2011, 03:18 PM
you have a biased dog in this fight and you know it

I'd use the phrase "ad hominem" but it I might offend some for not speaking English.

GrapevineSooner
6/19/2011, 03:20 PM
Dirk Nowitzki speaks English as a second language. ;)

pphilfran
6/19/2011, 03:22 PM
I'd have a hell of a lot more respect for the guy if he got up there and spoke broken English...

AlboSooner
6/19/2011, 03:23 PM
the translator was trying to tone down the testimony.

pphilfran
6/19/2011, 03:26 PM
I wonder if he brings a translator during a job interview?

Or when he is trying to explain a complex system to a US customer...

AlboSooner
6/19/2011, 03:29 PM
Mexicans in most part see Texas as their territory, and any complaint about the Mexication of Texas is met by the half joke half truth: Hey we're just trying to take our land back.

I have had this said by a Spanish instructor at OU.

pphilfran
6/19/2011, 03:39 PM
He represents the Austin Immigrant Rights Coalition..I am sure public speaking is not high on the list of job tasks...

btw...they got em some job openings...a community organizer position...next step..

White House...

http://nuevaraza.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/austin-job-opening-airc-coordinator/

A small piece of the job description...

· Communicate regularly with membership, state/national partners and Steering Committee.

· Outreach to media, including writing op-eds, press releases and coordinating press conferences.

Strong oral/written communication and interpersonal skills

pphilfran
6/19/2011, 03:46 PM
Wanna know why he spoke Spanish?

From the AIRC About Us section...

By promoting cultural retention, we combat individualism through collective reflection, assessment, action, and practice. We recognize our ancestors’ centuries-long struggle for justice and reaffirm our collective identity as Raza through conscious use of language and carnalism@. The shared cultural and historical experience fused with this approach has served to connect barrio communities across the country with each other for the past 5 years.

pphilfran
6/19/2011, 03:51 PM
Why are they bitchin?

From RAZA..

This bill is of great concern because it endorses the immigration enforcement program S-Comm, which requires local law enforcement to enforce federal immigration laws.

God forbid that Texas would enforce fed laws....

okie52
6/19/2011, 03:52 PM
My hat is off to you, dude. You are a far better man than I am.

Okay, let's hear some of that beautiful Spanish language.

Be glad to after I move there for 23 years.

Frozen Sooner
6/19/2011, 03:52 PM
Learning a new latin based language is not even close to the same as learning a different type of language. English, French, Spanish, Italian, Portugese are lanugagues that should be relatively easy to change between.

Point of information: English is not a Romance language. It's a Germanic language with some latin influences derived through French.

okie52
6/19/2011, 03:54 PM
1. Okie, not everyone is as conscientious and as selfless as you are. For example, San Miguel de Allende has a large ex-pat population. The native population complains about those who never bother to learn Spanish, expecting retail workers to speak English. It's common for the ex-pats to send their maid/cook to school to learn English.

2. Public relations-wise you may claim that he would have been better off delivering his remarks in English, since he is an English speaker. But it's ridiculous to think it would have made any difference in how the senators voted on the issue at hand.

3. Public speaking is often cited as the greatest fear people have - more than spiders or snakes or heights or even death. Many people don't have the balls to speak publicly even in their native language.

4. I doubt the senator was really insulted by it. Senators are not usually so thin-skinned. Senators love to grandstand so that they become the center of attention. Anyone who has ever watched C-Span knows the truth of this... true whether it's a state senator or a U.S. senator.

It's not a matter of being selfless or conscientious but rather not being at an unnecessary disadvantage. Why someone wouldn't bother to learn the language of the country he lives in and has apparently made his home for 23 years is beyond me.

pphilfran
6/19/2011, 03:55 PM
Uh, oh...

http://nuevaraza.wordpress.com/2011/03/03/take-action-pledge-to-drop-the-i-word-i-dont-call-people-%E2%80%9Cillegals%E2%80%9D-i-ask-media-to-do-the-same/

You wouldn’t call someone a w*tback, or the n-word. Saying “illegals” is just as bad. People are not illegal. Take the pledge at droptheiword.com.

okie52
6/19/2011, 03:57 PM
Uh, oh...

http://nuevaraza.wordpress.com/2011/03/03/take-action-pledge-to-drop-the-i-word-i-dont-call-people-%E2%80%9Cillegals%E2%80%9D-i-ask-media-to-do-the-same/

You wouldn’t call someone a w*tback, or the n-word. Saying “illegals” is just as bad. People are not illegal. Take the pledge at droptheiword.com.

I'll take the pledge if they will get their illegal azzes out of this country.

pphilfran
6/19/2011, 04:00 PM
La Nueva Raza is more fun than a barrel of illegals...whooops...can't say that....

okie52
6/19/2011, 04:03 PM
La Nueva Raza is more fun than a barrel of illegals...whooops...can't say that....

Undocumented worker or migrant worker or, if you just want to forget everything else, immigrant seems to work for many dems.

pphilfran
6/19/2011, 04:12 PM
Education is under attack...what do we do...FIGHT BACK...

Must say it is a catchy tune...

http://nuevaraza.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/that-moment-in-history-choice-hero-or-scab/

tPZxCDMbZec

okie52
6/19/2011, 04:21 PM
Education is under attack...what do we do...FIGHT BACK...

Must say it is a catchy tune...

http://nuevaraza.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/that-moment-in-history-choice-hero-or-scab/

tPZxCDMbZec

Who wouldn't want these fine "citizens" in their state?

pphilfran
6/19/2011, 04:25 PM
Who wouldn't want these fine "citizens" in their state?

Actually it looks like a mix of color...

They were going to make Mexican American Studies an elective course instead of a core course...and then with budget cuts coming the electives would go first...

texaspokieokie
6/19/2011, 04:26 PM

If i were the Senator, i would totally ignore him until he spoke english.

if he wants to be in this country, & has been here 22 yrs (or so) he should know that it will benefit him to speak english. otherwise, fuch him.

he's part of the problem !!!!

pphilfran
6/19/2011, 04:27 PM
btw that security guard got himself a handful of tit...

texaspokieokie
6/19/2011, 04:35 PM
Whatever the law was (is); i hope it passed.

SpankyNek
6/19/2011, 04:38 PM
I am pretty sure that 90% + of the posters on this board have lived in the United States for their entire lifetimes.

Take a few minutes to peruse the offerings submitted by our brethren.

One could easily conclude that there is little mastery of our own language by natives, especially mastery that would suffice in a formal setting.

pphilfran
6/19/2011, 04:41 PM
I am pretty sure that 90% + of the posters on this board have lived in the United States for their entire lifetimes.

One could easily conclude that there is little mastery of our own language by natives, especially mastery that would suffice in a formal setting.

We isn't lookin' for perfrection....

okie52
6/19/2011, 04:44 PM
Actually it looks like a mix of color...

They were going to make Mexican American Studies an elective course instead of a core course...and then with budget cuts coming the electives would go first...

Not sure if it is the same course but there was one ethnic course that was being dropped in AZ because it was critical of whites

pphilfran
6/19/2011, 04:45 PM
Whatever the law was (is); i hope it passed.

There is a lot in it...

One of Okies favorite subjects...Sanctuary Cities...

TDOT must verify legal status prior to issuing a drivers license...

More at the link...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/special/immigration/7612778.html

SpankyNek
6/19/2011, 04:48 PM
There is a lot in it...

More at the link...

I think a major issue is: who is to pay for such a thing?

Also, precedent...could a state suspend certain rights/privileges if a person was behind on Federal taxes?

okie52
6/19/2011, 04:49 PM

Then a poor English speaking "immigrant" should have nothing to fear.

Chuck Bao
6/19/2011, 04:53 PM
ไทยง่ายต่อการเขียน

pfff...that was easy.

555! Those online translations are wonderful. But have you ever put in something to be translated got the results and translated back to English? It can get really humorous sometimes, making you wonder where it all went so wrong.

SpankyNek
6/19/2011, 04:53 PM
We isn't lookin' for perfrection....

I understand, Phil.

While I will agree that the person on the film was speaking in Spanish for affect (and a bit of grandstanding), it is hard to take the side of the Senator that retorts in a manner akin to the Reverend from Porky's II.

I have spent the last year and a half getting some credits I need for my degree...you would be amazed at the papers I have proofread from other students...I would not recommend any level of public speaking (especially in any second language they may or may not know) to any of them.

pphilfran
6/19/2011, 04:55 PM
I think a major issue is: who is to pay for such a thing?

Also, precedent...could a state suspend certain rights/privileges if a person was behind on Federal taxes?

Finger printing...whoever is applying for the license...

Checking a database for legality? System should be in place...if not it should be...same data base could be used for employers to check legality...key a few numbers in the patrol car computer...out pops a picture of subject and status...

I don't see anything in there that would break the bank...

okie52
6/19/2011, 04:57 PM
There is a lot in it...

More at the link...

Sure hope this law doesn't hurt anyone's feelings.

pphilfran
6/19/2011, 05:02 PM
I understand, Phil.

While I will agree that the person on the film was speaking in Spanish for affect (and a bit of grandstanding), it is hard to take the side of the Senator that retorts in a manner akin to the Reverend from Porky's II.

I have spent the last year and a half getting some credits I need for my degree...you would be amazed at the papers I have proofread from other students...I would not recommend any level of public speaking (especially in any second language they may or may not know) to any of them.

You must remember that not everyone is strong in the same studies...

Hell, I am terrible at spelling and English...without spell check you could spot me a K and an A and I still couldn't spell kat...I was so far off spelling coalition spell check wouldn't give me a choice....lol...

Math and science I never had to crack a book and got A's...

i do agree that if you are putting together a college paper you should pay closer attention to grammar and spelling...

Chuck Bao
6/19/2011, 05:22 PM
oh Chuck speak Thai.......Chuck speak Thai VERY WELL.....
http://www.homevideos.com/freezeframes2/MeetTheParents25.jpeg

I absolutely refuse to say that, ever.

I am asked if I can speak Thai almost every day. I can say in flawless Thai that I cannot speak the Thai language and that I am so sorry and sincerely apologize. Everyone breaks up laughing, every time.

It is funny how that always works so well. Everyone is no longer self conscious about speaking in either broken Thai or broken English. We can communicate and problem immediately resolved.

AlboSooner
6/19/2011, 05:34 PM
It's not easy for an English speaking person to learn Spanish. the languages belong to different indo-European groups and sentence structures are completely different.

I have said this to Okie many times, I don't care which European language we speak in America, but English is easy to learn, it's the business language worldwide, it is the language of the majority here, and it's easier to resolve our differences if we all spoke the same language. To me, unlike the racists of La Raza, language choice has no cultural component. You have to feel culturally inferior in order to make a cultural point by using the language of the nation who conquered and subdued you, like the guy did in the video. Last time I checked, Spanish came from Spain, there is no Mexican language besides the languages of the native tribes which do not resemble the language of Spain.

The person in the YouTube video was making a cultural point, and wrongly placing the two languages in a cultural battle. That race-baiting is despicable especially when considering the Mexican hypocrisy when we see the way they treat Guatemalans.

Chuck Bao
6/19/2011, 05:38 PM
really? how many million burmese have migrated to Thailand?

Many millions, but it is just guess work. Maybe I mentioned this before, but the Baptist church I used to attend in Bangkok had a larger congregation for the Burmese language service than the English service.

I know that I have mentioned before that my favorite charities are those that offer free services to the Burmese refugee camps in Thailand. Once a year, I donate medical supplies, food and old clothing.

And no I don't even remember a word of Burmese although I have been several times.

AlboSooner
6/19/2011, 05:44 PM
BTW, a question was asked in page one about how many languages we do we speak and in how many can we respond in, when placed in stressful situations. I'm stuck at four languages now. I would have no problem addressing the Congress of Mexico, in Spanish, about the poor manner in which Guatemalans are treated in Mexico.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/19/2011, 05:54 PM
It's not a matter of being selfless or conscientious but rather not being at an unnecessary disadvantage. Why someone wouldn't bother to learn the language of the country he lives in and has apparently made his home for 23 years is beyond me.

He has learned English. What makes you think he didn't bother to learn the language?

I agree that one may be at a disadvantage not using it in many instances. If someone tries to sell me something speaking in a language I don't understand he/she are likely to be unsuccessful with the sale.

But I seriously doubt the offended senator would have changed his opinion on SB 9 had the speaker addressed the panel in English, without an interpreter.

Chuck Bao
6/19/2011, 06:29 PM
BTW, a question was asked in page one about how many languages we do we speak and in how many can we respond in, when placed in stressful situations. I'm stuck at four languages now. I would have no problem addressing the Congress of Mexico, in Spanish, about the poor manner in which Guatemalans are treated in Mexico.

Well, I can speak English, German, Spanish, French, Chinese, Thai, Lao in drunky language. Does that count?

delhalew
6/19/2011, 10:48 PM
He has learned English. What makes you think he didn't bother to learn the language?

I agree that one may be at a disadvantage not using it in many instances. If someone tries to sell me something speaking in a language I don't understand he/she are likely to be unsuccessful with the sale.

But I seriously doubt the offended senator would have changed his opinion on SB 9 had the speaker addressed the panel in English, without an interpreter.
Right. He does speak English and probably could have addressed the hearing in English. What he was doing was worse. He was race baiting, and for that he can go to hell...or Mexico. **** La Raza.

StoopTroup
6/19/2011, 11:38 PM
MAS knows how to party. I'm hungry for messican again.

Saul Good
6/20/2011, 10:42 AM
Didn't read the whole thread - too many words - so this question may have been asked.

Do we have an immigration problem or a assimilation problem as a country? I think this guys lack of ability/willingness to speak the most commonly used language in this country speaks to this.

delhalew
6/20/2011, 12:29 PM
Didn't read the whole thread - too many words - so this question may have been asked.

Do we have an immigration problem or a assimilation problem as a country? I think this guys lack of ability/willingness to speak the most commonly used language in this country speaks to this.

One problem begets the other. If you don't work for your citizenship you don't appreciate it. If you don't get skin in the game, why should you give a damn. We have the same problem with some natural born citizens, who never get taught what it means to be an American. Naturalized citizens dont tend to take the Republic for granted.