PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa Welding School...

royalfan5
6/17/2011, 05:31 PM
Do they advertise the **** out it down there as well? It's on all the time here on the low rent network stations.

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 05:32 PM
I see it a lot when I do turn on my Tee Vee

Chuck Bao
6/17/2011, 05:34 PM
Never down here in Thailand. What am I missing? Are they hawt?

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 05:39 PM
Only when they set them selves on fire with hot slag :eek:

Sooner5030
6/17/2011, 06:04 PM
on another note....if someone wanted to learn just to hobby and fix things..what's the cheapest way to do it. Also, whats the most useful type....mig, tig?

royalfan5
6/17/2011, 06:09 PM
on another note....if someone wanted to learn just to hobby and fix things..what's the cheapest way to do it. Also, whats the most useful type....mig, tig?

Buy somebody who knows how to weld some beer, and have them show you.

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 06:12 PM

Go ton yer local Vo-Tech, Talk to the instructor, May let ya attend a few classe for nothing or Just enroll.

Depends on what ya want to do. Mig is prolly the easiest and most use full for every type stuff.

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 06:13 PM
Oh and you can get a decent Mig for cheap now adays.;)

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 06:14 PM
Buy somebody who knows how to weld some beer, and have them show you.

That would work also. But the Vo-Tech would give him a decent grounding in the basics from the start.

royalfan5
6/17/2011, 06:17 PM
That would work also. But the Vo-Tech would give him a decent grounding in the basics from the start.

I suppose. I guess not everybody learns to weld the same way I did, by being taken out to the shop and instructed that I was going to learn that day, and having instructions yelled into my ear until I figured it out. Although I learned torch welding in High School Shop.

Sooner5030
6/17/2011, 06:19 PM
I'd like to fix things like when my son's bike falls apart......or stuff like that. Or maybe turn parts of an old water heater into a wood stove by cutting and then welding the metal together. Also, I've heard that welding aluminum is extremely difficult due to the metal just falling to the ground without notice. But given the materials used today.....the ability to weld aluminum could be useful.

StoopTroup
6/17/2011, 06:26 PM

Tulsa's Vo-Tech will do better than that. I've had the basic Courses there. I guarantee you.....if you want to impress me as a welder....Knowing how to mig and tig would be on the menu but if you really want to impress an employer....show him you can stick and use oxy/acetylene too

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 06:31 PM
I suppose. I guess not everybody learns to weld the same way I did, by being taken out to the shop and instructed that I was going to learn that day, and having instructions yelled into my ear until I figured it out. Although I learned torch welding in High School Shop.

I had a semester is High school Ag cllass. Then prolly never picked up another stinger or torch for years. But when I did the basics came right bak and I just did a lil trial an error and I was good enough to do what I wanted to do.

I'd like to fix things like when my son's bike falls apart......or stuff like that. Or maybe turn parts of an old water heater into a wood stove by cutting and then welding the metal together. Also, I've heard that welding aluminum is extremely difficult due to the metal just falling to the ground without notice. But given the materials used today.....the ability to weld aluminum could be useful.

Aluminum is a whole nuther critter if ya wanta weld that, TRhen ya should go ahead and take a semester at the Vo-Tech and learn to Mig and Tig. My Oldest son went for One semester here at carl Albert, Got a weldin job, went did some OJT came back went back and just talked to the instructor He let him Practice and answered any questions that Jeff had, Jeff went out on another Job. that was 12/ 13 years ago Hes a Job Superintendant up somewhere around Tulsa right Now.

He took my youngest son out as a helper with him after about a year, That son Now owns his own welding truck and is working out in the Panhandle makin 65 an hour , workin 12 to 17 hours a dqay.

GKeeper316
6/17/2011, 06:36 PM
i remember the UTI commercial from way back with the mullet wearing hilljack... "UTI taught me weldin. now i feel proud. and i have a skeel nobody n take from me"

StoopTroup
6/17/2011, 06:39 PM
Yup...Aluminum is tough.....

CrimsonKel
6/17/2011, 07:02 PM
i remember the UTI commercial from way back with the mullet wearing hilljack... "UTI taught me weldin. now i feel proud. and i have a skeel nobody n take from me"

I think of that often.

StoopTroup
6/17/2011, 07:12 PM
It's one thing to go to school and another to actually get a job doing it....then it's really cool if you can actually do it and the welds look great on an xray.