PDA

View Full Version : You Can't Spank Children Anymore

MR2-Sooner86
6/17/2011, 04:35 PM
Judge has harsh words for Mom before sentencing her for spanking her kid (http://www.volunteertv.com/national/headlines/Mom_pleads_guilty_to_spanking_own_child_124072014. html)

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (CBS) -- A judge in Corpus Christi, Texas some harsh words for a mother charged with spanking her own child, before sentencing her to probation.

"You don't spank children today," said Judge Jose Longoria. "In the old days, maybe we got spanked, but there was a different quarrel. You don't spank children."

Rosalina Gonzales had pleaded guilty to a felony charge of injury to a child for what prosecutors had described as a "pretty simple, straightforward spanking case." They noted she didn't use a belt or leave any bruises, just some red marks.

As part of the plea deal, Gonzales will serve five years probation, during which time she'll have to take parenting classes, follow CPS guidelines, and make a $50 payment to the Children's Advocacy Center.

She was arrested back in December after the child's paternal grandmother noticed red marks on the child's rear end. The grandmother took the girl, who was two years-old at the time, to the hospital to be checked out.

Gonzales doesn't have custody of the child or her other two children. She is trying to get them back, but until CPS feels she is ready the kids are living with their paternal grandmother.

This country is circling the drain.

pphilfran
6/17/2011, 04:37 PM
I am not apposed to spanking...but leaving red marks on a two year old seems extreme...

JLEW1818
6/17/2011, 04:37 PM
if only some of the worthless scum were spanked as a kid.

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 04:38 PM
So i guess back handin the **** out of em when they mouth off is out to huh ?:rolleyes:

texaspokieokie
6/17/2011, 04:38 PM
kids need to be spanked.

only trouble with my Mother spanking me, she didn't do it enough.

texaspokieokie
6/17/2011, 04:39 PM
So i guess back handin the **** out of em when they mouth off is out to huh ?:rolleyes:

yeah, too bad !!!

SoonerofAlabama
6/17/2011, 04:40 PM
Okay, I understand that she was two, but come on. It isn't child abuse. I never really acted up, but if I did a spanking was coming. This is dumb. Kids need to be spanked. Otherwise (this is extreme) they become dope heads or act up as teenagers and as adults.

okie52
6/17/2011, 04:42 PM
Judge has harsh words for Mom before sentencing her for spanking her kid (http://www.volunteertv.com/national/headlines/Mom_pleads_guilty_to_spanking_own_child_124072014. html)

This country is circling the drain.

5 years probation? Unbelievable.

SicEmBaylor
6/17/2011, 04:42 PM
Children should be routinely placed in a burlap sack and beaten whether they did anything wrong or not.

pphilfran
6/17/2011, 04:45 PM
I agree there shouldn't be 5 years probation...or even going to court...

But spanking a two year old will result in no change in the child's future actions...

Once they reach double digits in age only a baseball bat will get their attention...

okie52
6/17/2011, 04:48 PM

But spanking a two year old will result in no change in the child's future actions...

Once they reach double digits in age only a baseball bat will get their attention...

Or take them to Ersland's pharmacy.

ouwino
6/17/2011, 04:50 PM
i have to tell a funny story on me and my family. one Thanksgiving a few years back, a bunch of relatives were over. a cousin and his new girl friend were there. she was a child psychology major. the topic of child discipline came up in the conversation. i made the comment, "the childs behavior is nothing that a warm butt wont cure". my cousins girl friend gave me this very "dirty" look. i asked her what her problem was. she informed me that she did not believe in beating a child. i told her that spanking was not beating, spanking is LOVE. my oldest son (who was about 21 at the time) spoke up and looked at his younger brother and said, "boy, Dad sure did love us when we were little!"

Pardner
6/17/2011, 04:50 PM
There has to be more to this case than the story indicates. Why doesn't she have custody of her kids? And why was the judge talking to her like she was a 5-year old? I'm guessing she's not too bright and overdid it, so the judge felt like he had to be extreme.

okie52
6/17/2011, 04:54 PM
There has to be more to this case than the story indicates. Why doesn't she have custody of her kids? And why was the judge talking to her like she was a 5-year old? I'm guessing she's not too bright and overdid it, so the judge felt like he had to be extreme.

That may be the case but the judge stated spanking wasn't allowed anymore.

MR2-Sooner86
6/17/2011, 04:55 PM
leaving red marks on a two year old seems extreme...

My grandmother got the fly swatter after me as far back as I can remember. My father gave me the belt when I was four and he made me take my pants and underwear off so it hurt even more.

How many of our parents or grandparents would've been sentenced by this judge? I'm guessing allot.

5 years probation? Unbelievable.

Not only that but she has a felony on her record now. Yeah, that's not going to royally screw her life up from now on.

Overdid it? She didn't use a belt but her hand, even the prosecutors said that. As for the custody, it does make you think but my grandparents never had legal custody of me yet spanked me. Does that mean my grandparents should have been charged with a felony?

olevetonahill

I disagree, they learn real dayum fast that there are PAINFUL repercussions fer misbehaving

Partial Qualifier
ouch

Mjcpr
6/17/2011, 04:56 PM
ouch

You mean Judge Jose Longoria?

Mjcpr
6/17/2011, 04:57 PM
You bastard. :mad:

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 04:59 PM
Why dint they just Spank the mama and leave a few red marks on her asz ?
Stead of giving her a criminal record. :rolleyes:

pphilfran
6/17/2011, 05:10 PM
I never got too many spankings...all my old man had to say was "Do you want to go and have FELLOWSHIP?"....

Whatever "Fellowship" was I wanted no part of it...might have been due to "Fellowship" beatings when I was two....

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 05:11 PM
I never got too many spankings...all my old man had to say was "Do you want to go and have FELLOWSHIP?"....

Whatever "Fellowship" was I wanted no part of it...might have been due to "Fellowship" beatings when I was two....

:D :D :D :D

sappstuf
6/17/2011, 05:14 PM
The law cares about little Mexican kids??

I thought this case might have a silver lining, but.....

http://www.kristv.com/images/thumbnails/8C8360FE126029AD8EF824A9D99B27A2_292_292.jpg

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 05:33 PM
The law cares about little Mexican kids??

I thought this case might have a silver lining, but.....

http://www.kristv.com/images/thumbnails/8C8360FE126029AD8EF824A9D99B27A2_292_292.jpg

Is that the mama or the 2 year old?

Mississippi Sooner
6/17/2011, 05:35 PM
What does the law say about the spanking of monkeys?

MR2-Sooner86
6/17/2011, 05:41 PM
What does the law say about the spanking of monkeys?

As long as a red mark isn't left by your mother.

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 05:42 PM
Dont know. But da Bible says to beat that kidsass , he surely wont DIE ;)

stevo
6/17/2011, 05:44 PM
my parents beat my *** and i turned out okay.

ryte?

RYTE?!!

pphilfran
6/17/2011, 05:46 PM

ryte?

RYTE?!!

err....uh....sure...

stevo
6/17/2011, 05:48 PM
thanks phil. *whew*

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 05:48 PM

ryte?

RYTE?!!

Let me see a pic of it and Ill give ya an honest answer.;)

Chuck Bao
6/17/2011, 06:22 PM
Children should be routinely placed in a burlap sack and beaten whether they did anything wrong or not.

Says the guy who readily admits to never even helping to even mow the lawn. Alright, I know that you are just joking around. But, sometimes the scars don't heal like flesh wounds.

My dad would get so angry. He once broke a bale of hay and whipped me with the baling wire just because he was angry and I missed a bale of hay with the loader and I only did that because I was sobbing so much when he kept threatening me with extreme violence. I was about 11-12 years old at that time.

And, baling wire cuts. Think of it like a weed eater let loose on your bare ***.

I was told later that some of the farm hands had to be physically restrained from defending me. That is probably for the best. It was a very different culture back then and like always my dad would get all of his aggression out in 15 minutes and then feel sorry for what he did.

If he was really angry, he wouldn't kick the family dog. He'd take a gun out and shoot it.

Some people are just that way. In today's culture, they would get therapy or medicine to control the rage. Back then, the best strategy would be to hide or run away.

So it could be that this woman just needs help to get over her anger issues. Probationary jail sentence is not a bad judgment in my view.

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 06:42 PM
Whoop-ing a Kids asz with bailin wire is one think But spankin with the open hand ? Come Chuck.
Hell My Momma used switches and wire clothes hangers. I gurendayumtee I dint need many to know to STFU and Pay tention.:cool:

okie52
6/17/2011, 06:45 PM
Says the guy who readily admits to never even helping to even mow the lawn. Alright, I know that you are just joking around. But, sometimes the scars don't heal like flesh wounds.

My dad would get so angry. He once broke a bale of hay and whipped me with the baling wire just because he was angry and I missed a bale of hay with the loader and I only did that because I was sobbing so much when he kept threatening me with extreme violence. I was about 11-12 years old at that time.

And, baling wire cuts. Think of it like a weed eater let loose on your bare ***.

I was told later that some of the farm hands had to be physically restrained from defending me. That is probably for the best. It was a very different culture back then and like always my dad would get all of his aggression out in 15 minutes and then feel sorry for what he did.

If he was really angry, he wouldn't kick the family dog. He'd take a gun out and shoot it.

Some people are just that way. In today's culture, they would get therapy or medicine to control the rage. Back then, the best strategy would be to hide or run away.

So it could be that this woman just needs help to get over her anger issues. Probationary jail sentence is not a bad judgment in my view.

So basically you are saying anyone who spanks their kid deserves a 5 year probationary felony sentence.

GKeeper316
6/17/2011, 06:51 PM
and you know she didn't feel she was guilty of anything, but couldn't afford to pay a criminal defense attorney for a jury trial...

gotta love our legal system, huh?

StoopTroup
6/17/2011, 06:57 PM
You don't need to spank kids these days.....just take their **** away from them and give them a football or soccer ball and send them outside. Either they'll get a College Athletic Scholarship or they will quit acting up.

Turd_Ferguson
6/17/2011, 07:04 PM
It only took one time for Grandma to make me go pick my own switch and I straightened right the **** up...

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 07:06 PM
and you know she didn't feel she was guilty of anything, but couldn't afford to pay a criminal defense attorney for a jury trial...

gotta love our legal system, huh?

I bet folks would really freak out today about her taking that 10 inch cast iron fryin pan after my wild *** back in da day:eek:

You don't need to spank kids these days.....just take their **** away from them and give them a football or soccer ball and send them outside. Either they'll get a College Athletic Scholarship or they will quit acting up.

When I were coming up dint have a reason to stay inside less it were raining real hard. Not Much TeeVee, No A/C, Only games were monopoly and Parcheesi. Maybe a few card games

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 07:07 PM
It only took one time for Grandma to make me go pick my own switch and I straightened right the **** up...

They orta throwed every one of em in Prison. Then when we got old enough we could join em cause we dint learn any discipline ;)

Partial Qualifier
6/17/2011, 07:17 PM
You bastard. :mad:

What exactly are you getting at with this??

Have you lost your damn mind or something?

:D

Chuck Bao
6/17/2011, 07:21 PM
Now, I know you Olevet. If you saw a grown man or woman beating a small child or even a pet and they weren't misbehaving, you would be all over him/her. Admit it. You would.

I am not talking about just a hand spank on the butt. Undoubtedly some kids deserve that. Some kids today seem to test boundaries and they will keep testing even with the humiliation of a public hand swat to the butt.

My nephew was like that when he was acting up. A humiliating public hand spank had no effect on him, but everyone in the family was terribly embarrassed for him and my brother.

My mom has had many child psychology courses at the masters level and I asked her why that happened. She didn't know either. I guess the young kid just craved attention so much that it really didn't matter what form it was in.

I find it very odd that it is the exact opposite of my own upbringing of hide or runaway.

Maybe the little guy will grow up to be the class clown or maybe a criminal. No idea. He needs to get that there are consequences beyond a slap on the butt.

soonerloyal
6/17/2011, 07:23 PM
There's a huge difference between abuse/beating and a regular spanking. I had both at different times growing. up. Chuck, I get you, oh yes I do.

That said, although I probably talked my kids' heads off sometimes when a smacked butt would have done it "quicker"...I didn't have any trouble giving that butt quite a wearout when it was really warranted. My kids'll tell you that.

Hell, the oldest Jarhead is 30 and I've still been known to whack his six hard as hell when he mouths off. Probably ought to do it more often, now that I'm thinkin' on it...

Chuck Bao
6/17/2011, 07:25 PM
So basically you are saying anyone who spanks their kid deserves a 5 year probationary felony sentence.

I am not saying that at all. I am just giving an example when one of the parents have anger management issues and decides to take it out on the kids. I am not saying whether it happened this time. Are you going to deny that it never happens? No of course not.

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 07:39 PM
Now, I know you Olevet. If you saw a grown man or woman beating a small child or even a pet and they weren't misbehaving, you would be all over him/her. Admit it. You would.

I am not talking about just a hand spank on the butt. Undoubtedly some kids deserve that. Some kids today seem to test boundaries and they will keep testing even with the humiliation of a public hand swat to the butt.

My nephew was like that when he was acting up. A humiliating public hand spank had no effect on him, but everyone in the family was terribly embarrassed for him and my brother.

Exactly , Some one ABUSING is one thing, spanking with the open hand is another

There's a huge difference between abuse/beating and a regular spanking. I had both at different times growing. up. Chuck, I get you, oh yes I do.

That said, although I probably talked my kids' heads off sometimes when a smacked butt would have done it "quicker"...I didn't have any trouble giving that butt quite a wearout when it was really warranted. My kids'll tell you that.

Hell, the oldest Jarhead is 30 and I've still been known to whack his six hard as hell when he mouths off. Probably ought to do it more often, now that I'm thinkin' on it...

Thats funny as hell LOL, Makes me think of the Biggest meanest Black dude we had to mess with when I was on the PD, That dude would fight us every time we had to deal with him.

Yet Momma come down and get him out. She'd stand on her tip toes , grab that ear and walk him right out in front of us just twisting the hell out of it and Scolding him up one side and down the other. and him Frog marching right along with her , going ' Yes Momma . Yes Momma ' :D :D :D

I am not saying that at all. I am just giving an example when one of the parents have anger management issues and decides to take it out on the kids. I am not saying whether it happened this time. Are you going to deny that it never happens? No of course not.

Chuck the outrage we have here with this is the fact the judge said we cant spank a kid nowadays

okie52
6/17/2011, 07:40 PM

Abuse and a spanking are 2 different things. This judge said no to spankings...end of story. I find that an incredible thing for him to have done.

Chuck Bao
6/17/2011, 08:03 PM
Chuck the outrage we have here with this is the fact the judge said we cant spank a kid nowadays

Alright then. I was first only responding to Sic'em's post about putting kids in burlap bags and beating them and that was from a guy who never even bothered to mow the lawn. Okay, I got my anger issues over now. I am back to normal now. Nothing to see here. Move along.

StoopTroup
6/17/2011, 08:08 PM
They made him stop mowing due to the insurance rates

http://retiredredneck.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/redneck-lawn-mowing.jpg

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 08:09 PM
Alright then. I was first only responding to Sic'em's post about putting kids in burlap bags and beating them and that was from a guy who never even bothered to mow the lawn. Okay, I got my anger issues over now. I am back to normal now. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Hell you pay tention to ANYTHING sicem says ? :D

StoopTroup
6/17/2011, 08:12 PM
Dude knows his paintball gear

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 08:23 PM
Dude knows his paintball gear

Takes that **** serious dont he? :D
Even if he's on the wrong side again.:D :D :D

StoopTroup
6/17/2011, 08:26 PM
I wonder....does he only use green paintballs?

MsProudSooner2
6/17/2011, 09:05 PM
There's nothing wrong with spanking your kids.

That article left out some pertinent information.

If the spanking took place the day before and the kid still had red marks, that might indicate she spanked her too hard. If it was 10 minute later, the grandmother over reacted. (Wonder if there are issues between her and the Mother.)

Was there a history of problems or was this the first time?

I'm glad I don't have little kids today.

StoopTroup
6/17/2011, 09:07 PM
I think you need evidence of the actual spanking. The Salem Witch Trials are a perfect example of why.

jkjsooner
6/17/2011, 10:51 PM
I find it interesting that so many people state that spanking only teaches a child violence.

Children are a heck of a lot smarter than that. When I got spanked I never once associated it with violence or thought that it condoned violence. We knew that spanking was a method to correct behavior. I know teachers would sometimes do it in desperation but most of the time it was a well thought out rational response.

I would say that if you are angry you are better off waiting to spank your child. Acting out anger is not what spanking is about and that can send the wrong message. I also think that spanking is at times the lazy parent's tool as it's generally much easier to administor than the alternatives. I do think it has its place among age appropriate children.

Curly Bill
6/17/2011, 10:58 PM
I find it interesting that so many people state that spanking only teaches a child violence.

Children are a heck of a lot smarter than that. When I got spanked I never once associated it with violence or thought that it condoned violence. We knew that spanking was a method to correct behavior. I know teachers would sometimes do it in desperation but most of the time it was a well thought out rational response.

I would say that if you are angry you are better off waiting to spank your child. Acting out anger is not what spanking is about and that can send the wrong message. I also think that spanking is at times the lazy parent's tool as it's generally much easier to administor than the alternatives. I do think it has its place among age appropriate children.

Correct! And only people that lack the ability to think, think otherwise. Problem is there's a lot of those people out there these days. :O

Chuck Bao
6/18/2011, 02:18 AM
Correct! And only people that lack the ability to think, think otherwise. Problem is there's a lot of those people out there these days. :O

I can't tell if you are serious or joking.

I understand that discipline is a problem. I like ST's approach of denying them their freedom on certain things. That seems much more effective than permanently mentally scaring them with threats of violence.

Now, how many times spanking a dog works out. Yeah, I know our kids aren't dogs or our pets but it gets loss in the association much of the same.

Take off their door. Take away their cell phone. Take away their PC. Take away their dating or party privileges.

Curly Bill
6/18/2011, 03:06 AM

I understand that discipline is a problem. I like ST's approach of denying them their freedom on certain things. That seems much more effective than permanently mentally scaring them with threats of violence.

Now, how many times spanking a dog works out. Yeah, I know our kids aren't dogs or our pets but it gets loss in the association much of the same.

Take off their door. Take away their cell phone. Take away their PC. Take away their dating or party privileges.

I'm not joking. I think people that can't tell a little corporal discipline and violence are two very different things are quite frankly stupid.

SicEmBaylor
6/18/2011, 03:26 AM
I'm not joking. I think people that can't tell a little corporal discipline and violence are two very different things are quite frankly stupid.

Or they substitute common sense with their agenda.

Hell, I was spanked as a child. I was an absolute heathen as a child.

I didn't get it often though because I ALWAYS fought back like my very life was at stake. You've seen those crack heads on COPS that don't know when to give up...that was me. I once grabbed the belt out of my dads hand and started beating the crap out of him over the head with it...my mom had to pull me off him. My uncle got a switch after me once and I grabbed a golf club and nearly broke his leg with it and put two holes in the wall.

Good times...good times....

I calmed down a loooooooooot when I hit puberty.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/18/2011, 03:41 AM
The mother needs to learn to lie obviously...there is about 200 reasons that kid would have little red marks down there..

olevetonahill
6/18/2011, 06:56 AM
Or they substitute common sense with their agenda.

Hell, I was spanked as a child. I was an absolute heathen as a child.

I didn't get it often though because I ALWAYS fought back like my very life was at stake. You've seen those crack heads on COPS that don't know when to give up...that was me. I once grabbed the belt out of my dads hand and started beating the crap out of him over the head with it...my mom had to pull me off him. My uncle got a switch after me once and I grabbed a golf club and nearly broke his leg with it and put two holes in the wall.

Good times...good times....

I calmed down a loooooooooot when I hit puberty.

I'd of put yer punk *** in the hospital.

jkjsooner
6/18/2011, 08:28 AM

As long as you phrase it as a "threat of violence" it's hard to argue with that. I don't think that that is a fair characterization assuming that the spanking is a rational thought out response and it is not severe.

That being said, I don't spank my child (who is only 21 months) because my wife does not believe in it and I do think there are alternatives. The real key is about discipline and consistency.

That is a completely different situation. A dog doesn't have the ability to make a connection between the behavior and punishment - especially if you don't catch them in the act. A child who is old enough does. You can explain to them what they did wrong and why they are being punished.

I agree that these can be very effective. I think it all boils down to understanding your child and what works with him or her.

87sooner
6/18/2011, 08:34 AM
i spanked my kids from age 2 to about 4.....never had to touch them again...
this judge should not be a judge....

soonerloyal
6/18/2011, 09:22 AM
The judge needs a good ***-blisterin'. That'll learn 'im.

olevetonahill
6/18/2011, 10:05 AM
Some times just for the hell of it, I'll snatch up some kid and just beat datass . Hell ya know he prolly had it coming anyway.;)

Sooner_Tuf
6/18/2011, 12:39 PM
So was Grandma charged for looking at the kid's butt?

Seriously though. You can get US Government Funds to kill a child you don't want but it is a felony to spank a child?

The moral of this story is if the Gov asks you about red marks on your child's hiney just tell them they are from a failed abortion attempt. You should be golden then.

olevetonahill
6/18/2011, 12:44 PM
So was Grandma charged for looking at the kid's butt?

Seriously though. You can get US Government Funds to kill a child you don't want but it is a felony to spank a child?

The moral of this story is if the Gov asks you about red marks on your child's hiney just tell them they are from a failed abortion attempt. You should be golden then.

:D

GKeeper316
6/18/2011, 01:26 PM
i deserved every *** whoopin my dad ever gave me. every single one. even the ones with the axe handle and the horse whip.

GDC
6/18/2011, 01:41 PM
“It’s not the one thing or the other, it’s the rising tide. The dismal tide.”

xIY33GgX3sM

Chuck Bao
6/18/2011, 01:42 PM
i deserved every *** whoopin my dad ever gave me. every single one. even the ones with the axe handle and the horse whip.

Yeah, there is no reason for you to complain. Of course you got it really, really light. An ax handle is about the same as a paddle or cue stick and a horse whip is far, far better than a bull whip. And, I am just kidding. ;)

Jacie
6/19/2011, 10:07 AM
Today it is all about teaching children about consequences and I believe everyone here can agree on how well that has turned out for us. That is why when a kid is informed of they are facing consequences from trouble caused at school, he/she will answer with a smirk because they all know there are no consequences.

Chuck Bao
6/19/2011, 10:50 AM
Today it is all about teaching children about consequences and I believe everyone here can agree on how well that has turned out for us. That is why when a kid is informed of they are facing consequences from trouble caused at school, he/she will answer with a smirk because they all know there are no consequences.

Dammit! I guess you already told them that there is no Santa Claus and no naughty or nice list.

There is a Santa Claus and he is mean and angry and he is not going to put up with this **** any longer. If you think that Randolf is cute, just wait until Blitzer and Vixen get done with your lily white asses. Your best dreams are going to be nightmares.

OU_Sooners75
6/19/2011, 12:12 PM
We as a country wont get better until the Government gets out of the private lives of parents.

There is a line that should be drawn when talking about child abuse. Bruises on other parts of the body besides the *** should be considered.

What is wrong with the youth of today? They can't get spanked or don't get spanked enough.

Had that been me, I would not have pleaded guilty and I would have told the DA to go **** himself!