PDA

View Full Version : angiogram

ouwapiti
6/17/2011, 01:18 PM
having an angiogram on monday morning.....anybody got any suggestions or what i should expect ???? i need some positive reinforcement....i'm not really scared but i am concerned

sooner_born_1960
6/17/2011, 01:20 PM
Stay near a toilet when you start the "prep". Oh, wait you said angiogram. Never mind.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/17/2011, 01:20 PM
Word of advice.

An angiogram does NOT go through your cornhole.

Regardless of what your doctor may suggest.

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 01:24 PM
No clue, Im almost 61 (dayum dont seem like it tho)
Cholesterol is Good bout the only thing wrong is my Blood sugar and Im gettin that under control

But will wish ya luck and say a prayer fer ya monday morning .

WichitaSooner
6/17/2011, 01:38 PM
My Dad had it done 14 years ago... Listening to him, the worst part was having a nurse shave his inner thigh and groin for the procedure. lol.

In the thigh... they found the clot and put in a stent... He has been great ever since.

Easy procedure and I believe he was even awake during it, but I could be wrong on that...

Breadburner
6/17/2011, 02:34 PM
What kind are you having.....

oudanny
6/17/2011, 02:35 PM
Had one to check out my heart a few years ago. I was anxious but the procedure wasn't too bad. They closed the entry point with some plug so i was able to get up and leave after an hour. When my dad had it done 25 years ago he had to lay with a sandbag on his leg for several hours before he could go home. Good luck.

captain_surly
6/17/2011, 03:37 PM
I would suggest taking a valium or xanax before going in. It's a little unsettling knowing there's a wire moving around inside of you. They usually use a beard type trimmer rather than a razor for hair removal so you can do that yourself beforehand if you prefer.

It's going to be really cold in the lab so be prepared for that. You will feel a pretty strong pinch when they insert the needle. After that you really won't feel anything. Don't be alarmed if they have a defibrilator beside you. If they suspect blockage around the heart they will be prepared for all hell to break loose when they clear it.

If they use the bowtie type suture to close the hole you'll probably get to go home in an hour as was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Good luck!

Romulus
6/17/2011, 03:55 PM
Whose your dr?
Where you getting it done at?

ouwapiti
6/17/2011, 05:16 PM
getting procedure done at baylor in dallas......

soonercruiser
6/17/2011, 10:25 PM
having an angiogram on monday morning.....anybody got any suggestions or what i should expect ???? i need some positive reinforcement....i'm not really scared but i am concerned

Just tell the anesthesiologist that you can get the report from the cardiologist...that you don't want to know, or "feel" anything.
When I came to, I remembered telling the anesthetist what type of cocktail I wanted...ha, ha...and that is all!
Had a slight tenderness at the paclked pressure point in the groin where they went in....for about 2 days.
That is all!

*It's your right to not want to be aware of the puncture and catheter in the groin.
*It is your right to tell them you don't want them waking you up to show you the live videos of any blocked vessels.
Was a pretty vanilla experience for me. (Of course, my pipes were clear!)
:D

StoopTroup
6/17/2011, 10:34 PM

Remember to take someone along with you as when they wake you up...they tell you a lot of stuff to do and not to do when you get Home, You know....before you leave....and sometimes I forget what all they tell me and find that it's difficult on me to try and find the answers later if it's bothering you and giving you anxiety. This way you can ask your friend/Wife and at the very least go to the ER and find out if your partner or Wife can't remember.

Good Luck and God Bless

Ctina
6/18/2011, 11:03 AM
I would suggest taking a valium or xanax before going in.

I would suggest you ignore this advice unless you talk to your doc about it first. They like to know what you're taking before they do any type of procedure. While these meds may be perfectly fine, many do not mix well with each other, particularly when they may be giving you something during the procedure. Even something like ibuprofen or dietary supplements can increase bleeding risks. Not trying to freak you out, just don't self-medicate before something like this without discussing it with your doc.

I've had clinical rounds on the Cardiac floor and seen patients post-cath, it seems to be a fairly easy procedure. You will probably have to lay flat for a few hours afterwards and they will monitor the insertion site. Not too much pain after from what I could tell. Good luck!

StoopTroup
6/18/2011, 11:13 AM
Waking up is the best thing. Like Ctina said....ignore that advice. Hell I can't imagine these Doctors giving you an anesthetic without checking you for other drugs that might counteract the sleepytime Mr. Happy juice and the happy gas.

pphilfran
6/18/2011, 11:18 AM
I woke up in recovery after knee surgery...to my right there was a ruckus going on....the nurse was slapping the snot out of the lady in the recovery bed next to me..."Sharon, Sharon, wake up." said the nurse...pop, pop, pop, a few more quick slaps...

Looking closer I noticed Sharon was a lady that I used to work with...

"Nurse" I croaked..."Slap her once for me."

captain_surly
6/18/2011, 03:22 PM
I would suggest you ignore this advice unless you talk to your doc about it first. . Not too much pain after from what I could tell. Good luck!

I would suggest that you've never had the procedure done to you. From what I can tell.

Ctina
6/19/2011, 01:10 AM
I would suggest that you've never had the procedure done to you. From what I can tell.

I did not claim to have had the procedure done. I said I had taken care of patients who had and that they didn't seem to be in uncontrolled pain. As pain is a very subjective thing, everyone's experience is different. I'm sorry if you had a lot of pain but ouwapiti may have a completely different experience from yours. There is no way to tell. Pre-medicating beforehand is NOT a good idea unless directed by your doctor.

FYI - They don't use razors before surgery for the reasons SoonerInTN stated. Razors can cause microscopic cuts in the skin which can be a portal for infection.