PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Open thread

The Maestro
6/17/2011, 10:29 AM
Didn't see one...Rory about to run away with it. Love his demeanor, even after his blow up in the final round at Augusta. He was so un-Tiger in how he responded, how he interviewed and how he congratulated Schwartzel. NBC is hating life with a Tigerless major and maybe a runaway winner. 10 under in 26 holes at the Open is 13 holes fewer than the second quickest, Oklahoma's own Dr. Gil Morgan, who got to 10 under in 39 holes.

Impressive to watch for golf enthusiasts...but it won't attract a lot of casual golf fans.

Mjcpr
6/17/2011, 10:31 AM
I tend to root for the Americans and there aren't any that are threatening the lead at this point. McIlroy's to lose....already. And yeah, I'm sure NBC is thrilled but who could blame them?

rekamrettuB
6/17/2011, 10:33 AM
I so don't want to see Rory collapse again. If someone else wins it, I want them conversation to be about that person "winning" it and not Rory losing it. He collapses after this start then we may see a Greg Norman style career.

jk the sooner fan
6/17/2011, 10:34 AM
i dont know that you can run away with a U.S. Open after the first round

with all the rain they got last night - the greens are going to be open for some scoring today - but the rough will also be much tougher to play out of

GKeeper316
6/17/2011, 10:43 AM
10 under in 26 holes? wtf kind of open is this???

not a true challenge imo. congressional should be embarassed.

lexsooner
6/17/2011, 10:43 AM
Didn't see one...Rory about to run away with it. Love his demeanor, even after his blow up in the final round at Augusta. He was so un-Tiger in how he responded, how he interviewed and how he congratulated Schwartzel. NBC is hating life with a Tigerless major and maybe a runaway winner. 10 under in 26 holes at the Open is 13 holes fewer than the second quickest, Oklahoma's own Dr. Gil Morgan, who got to 10 under in 39 holes.

Impressive to watch for golf enthusiasts...but it won't attract a lot of casual golf fans.

Wasn't Rory "running away" with the Masters until the last day?

picasso
6/17/2011, 10:45 AM
I can't pull for him. I hope he chokes it off once agaaaaaain.

I haven't been able to watch much. House full of sick kids.

rekamrettuB
6/17/2011, 10:46 AM
i dont know that you can run away with a U.S. Open after the first round

with all the rain they got last night - the greens are going to be open for some scoring today - but the rough will also be much tougher to play out of

It's not just his 1st round. He's 5 under today thru 13 or so.

soonerchk
6/17/2011, 10:48 AM
No Tiger = no interest.

I hate it cause it's true.

jk the sooner fan
6/17/2011, 10:54 AM
It's not just his 1st round. He's 5 under today thru 13 or so.

ahhh thats right, an afternoon start on day one means a morning start on day 2....wow, he's tearing it up

Boomer.....
6/17/2011, 10:58 AM
10 under in 26 holes? wtf kind of open is this???

not a true challenge imo. congressional should be embarassed.

And the second place guy is at -3.

McIlroy is playing lights out.

SoonerofAlabama
6/17/2011, 11:00 AM
I just want to see if he can continue it. I doubt he could do anything close to the tragedy that happened last time he had a big lead like this.

rekamrettuB
6/17/2011, 11:05 AM
ahhh thats right, an afternoon start on day one means a morning start on day 2....wow, he's tearing it up

Being a golfer I hate to see guys just fall apart because it's happened to me and there's no worse feeling on a golf course...so I'm pulling for him. Speaking of golf courses, this course is incredibly beautiful.

GKeeper316
6/17/2011, 11:06 AM

And the second place guy is at -3.

McIlroy is playing lights out.

stuck at work with no tv. is it being streamed live anywhere?

rekamrettuB
6/17/2011, 11:10 AM
stuck at work with no tv. is it being streamed live anywhere?

You're lucky...I get to listen to Chris Bermann who sounds like he constantly has to hawk a luggee. It's disturbing.

http://www.usopen.com/en_US/index.html#!/live_video

Boomer.....
6/17/2011, 11:27 AM
Either the US Open site or espn3

http://espn.go.com/espn3/

GKeeper316
6/17/2011, 11:33 AM
thanks guys!

Boomer.....
6/17/2011, 11:36 AM
McIlroy now at -13.

He is the first person to every get that low at any point in a US Open. :eek:

rekamrettuB
6/17/2011, 11:40 AM
-13 w/ 1 left. Tough hole but this kid looks like he's playing on a putt-putt course right now.

The Maestro
6/17/2011, 11:59 AM
Wasn't Rory "running away" with the Masters until the last day?

Up 9 or 10 at the US Open after two rounds > Rory's lead at Augusta.

Breadburner
6/17/2011, 12:30 PM
Let the deep-throating begin....Nice not to hear and see Tiger every 5 ****ing seconds.....R.M will not win it......

Mjcpr
6/17/2011, 12:50 PM
Woops, little trouble on 18. :D

OhU1
6/17/2011, 01:45 PM
How far back is Tiger? Can Tiger catch up? Don't count Tiger out.

The Maestro
6/17/2011, 02:50 PM
R.M will not win it......

Care to make it interesting???

SoCaliSooner
6/17/2011, 02:59 PM
http://agenda.transworld.net/files/2010/07/us-open-surfing.jpg

In town here the first week of August...

ouleaf
6/17/2011, 03:35 PM
Very, very impressive golf from McIlroy, and the kid is only 22. Yang needs to do some major damage on this back 9 today to try and close the gap as much as possible. The final rounds should prove to be very difficult and it will be harder for him to catch up.

Definitely think Rory learned a lot from his experience at Augusta and he won't let this one slip away.

fadada1
6/17/2011, 04:01 PM
no tigger = me watching as much as i can over the weekend. it's a pleasure watching golf sans tiger. they actually show GOLF instead of one person walking from shot to shot or standing around picking his nose.

only thing keeping me from throwing something at the TV every time they mention tiger is going to be the sweet sounds of tiger NOT winning. NBC hates everything NOT tiger. johnny miller still thinks he can win it, and he's no where near maryland.

picasso
6/17/2011, 05:14 PM
They don't really show that much golf whether Tiger is in it or not.

It normally takes the broadcast 15 minutes in, to show any actual real time golf.
They spend too much time showing previous highlights and letting the windbags in the tower talk up the conditions.
Then half way through they have some melodramatic bit on some player who has some uninteresting story that parallels said tournament.

Just show some golf bitches.

soonercruiser
6/17/2011, 10:28 PM
-11; leading Yang at -5.
Six shot lead with 36 to go....anything can, and will happen!
The course is only going to get tougher.

Mjcpr
6/18/2011, 09:42 AM
I think Johnny Miller is the best golf announcer, by far. I much prefer NBC's coverage to anyone else's, particularly now with Feherty.

jk the sooner fan
6/18/2011, 10:05 AM
Feherty is an interesting guy with an interesting personal story...I like him a lot

JohnnyMack
6/18/2011, 10:29 AM
I like Rory. I think he's good for the game and golf needs someone young and refreshing to watch.

pphilfran
6/18/2011, 10:39 AM
I hope Rory McIlory doesn't pull a Roy McAvoy and drop a 12 on the final hole...

BOOMERBRADLEY
6/18/2011, 10:53 AM
I think Johnny Miller is the best golf announcer, by far. I much prefer NBC's coverage to anyone else's, particularly now with Feherty.

Johnny Miller is a turd, but he speaks the truth.

I personally like Nick Faldo

BOOMERBRADLEY
6/18/2011, 10:55 AM
uLbtTaCs9JA&playnext=1&list=PL14B91D7AF0F83115

Gorgeous golf swing from Rory

Scott D
6/18/2011, 05:46 PM
Definitely McIlroy's to lose...however until he wins it, he'll have what happened at the Masters lingering over his head.

Partial Qualifier
6/18/2011, 08:16 PM
He'd have to really choke it away. Nobody's going to catch him on that course, on US Open Sunday. I'm thinking He can shoot 2-over-par and still win rather easily.

sappstuf
6/18/2011, 08:20 PM
uLbtTaCs9JA&playnext=1&list=PL14B91D7AF0F83115

Gorgeous golf swing from Rory

Compared to....

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/175758.gif

King Crimson
6/19/2011, 09:10 AM
They don't really show that much golf whether Tiger is in it or not.

It normally takes the broadcast 15 minutes in, to show any actual real time golf.
They spend too much time showing previous highlights and letting the windbags in the tower talk up the conditions.
Then half way through they have some melodramatic bit on some player who has some uninteresting story that parallels said tournament.

Just show some golf bitches.

fo reals. the whole "back-story" and "psychologizing" the athletes seems to have been pioneered by the NBA....i frickin don't care (except for my man Rob Rock)....just blow the whistle, turn on the cameras and let's play. further, on the conditions angle....i'm sitting in the grandstands on #4 and ESPN radio's guy, Doug Bell, who is also on #4 is talking about this storm that is about to wash Congressional into the Potomac is NOW here. the wind kicked up, the sun came out after. it was a bit "inventive" to suggest it was more than that. if not strategic. oh my, ratchet up the drama....here comes the weather...

can someone "lose" Chris Berman over the Great Lakes or something. give him 3 dozen bottles of Jack and an Atlantic City hotel room to let the inevitable take place. he's awful and getting worse.

I'm back in CO from Mon-Sat at Congressional. that's a real golf course my friends. there's some clever stuff going on with the Jones and now USGA setup. the other guys are playing US Open golf....McElroy is on Planet X right now.

scary thing, and i saw this in person and the ESPN radio guys were kinda dogging him, he ought to make birdie on one of 10 and 11 on Thursday (his first two holes, starting off 10). all that is lost with Phil dumping it in the water on 10 and Dustin J hitting it in the water 2 times on 11.

normally like to see a guy come back to the pack to make it interesting....but, i don't want to see the kid saddled with the "choker" tag by the leghumper "sports journalists". people are quick to forget Watson gagged a few majors before breaking through at Turnberry in 77.

soonercruiser
6/19/2011, 01:44 PM
-13 w/ 1 left. Tough hole but this kid looks like he's playing on a putt-putt course right now.

Just looks like Rory's game is fitting the course to a tee.
And, with the lack of rain before the Open, the rough is just not "U.S. Open Rough".
If he keeps his cool, he will win by 6 or 7!

Gonna only tune in late to see if he collapses.

pphilfran
6/19/2011, 04:29 PM
I wanna see 20 under...

tulsaoilerfan
6/19/2011, 08:15 PM
Let the deep-throating begin....Nice not to hear and see Tiger every 5 ****ing seconds.....R.M will not win it......

Good call Nostradamus lol

soonercruiser
6/20/2011, 02:01 PM
Compared to....

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/175758.gif

Sooooo........that's what Parkinson's Disease looks like on the golf course!
:D