PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Steaks You've Eaten Anywhere

sooner59
6/16/2011, 09:45 PM
I didn't want this getting lose in the other steak thread because well....its different. The other thread was about cut of meat and doneness for the most part.

I want to know the top 5 steaks you have ever eaten and where you got them. If you think you personally make the best you've ever eaten, just leave it out and list the next 5. I want to know where the best steaks are in America. All 5 can be in Oklahoma, or none in Oklahoma, doesn't matter.

Go. :pop:

stoops the eternal pimp
6/16/2011, 09:53 PM
Boulevard Steakhouse in Edmond is the best steak I've had in a restaurant..

I think the best steaks in the world are off of a drunk friend's grill

jumperstop
6/16/2011, 09:56 PM
Rib Eye, Ranchers Club in Stillwater

Spray
6/16/2011, 09:56 PM
Most of my faves were cooked on my grill or a family member's. I did have a prime rib in Breckenridge that melted in my mouth. Probably the only steak I ever bought that sticks in my memory.

SoonerofAlabama
6/16/2011, 10:01 PM
I wish I remembered the name of the steakhouse. It was in Denver, Colorado. Served with some horseradish sauce, awesome.

C&CDean
6/16/2011, 10:06 PM
1. Tiny's Steakhouse in Tucson in about 1969 or so. T-bone.

2. Prime rib at Walt's house every Christmas Eve.

3. Filet at Ruth's Chris in Baton Rouge about 15 years ago.

4. Fresh cut elk steak from a cow I shot in Colorado about 10 years ago.

5. Any cut from #6, an angus/brangus calf we fed out a couple years ago. Even the round steak was fork-tender after a couple minutes on the grill. Best home raised beef ever.

pphilfran
Golden Ox in KC back in the early 70's...

C&CDean
I wish I remembered the name of the steakhouse. It was in Denver, Colorado. Served with some horseradish sauce, awesome.

cough - prime rib - cough

sooner59
6/16/2011, 10:11 PM
My top 5. Although I admit, I have not had the chance to try a lot of great steakhouses. Gotta have the $$$ to try a bunch. And some places are good one trip and a disappointment the next. But just judging by a single steak:

1. Cheever's Cafe (OKC, OK) - Grilled Ribeye (medium-rare)
2. Texas Land & Cattle (Dallas, TX) - Texas Ribeye (medium-rare)
3. Boulevard Steakhouse (Edmond, OK) - Tomahawk Cut Bone-In Kobe Chop (medium-rare)
4. Longhorn Steakhouse (OKC, OK) - Outlaw Ribeye Bone-In (medium-rare)
5. Cattlemen's Steak (OKC, OK) - Ribeye (medium-rare)

EDIT: I give an honorable mention to Longhorn Steakhouse in OKC on the first Prime Rib I have ever eaten...just a couple of months ago. Served with Au Jous and Horseradish sauce....absolutely amazing. I am now a huge fan of Prime Rib.

Spray
6/16/2011, 10:16 PM
Did eat at Smith & Wollensky in Chicago last month and was extremely disappointed. If you're not going to at least salt and pepper it, then buy a good piece of meat. Then you overcooked my medium rare. Bad news all around.

Spray
6/16/2011, 10:17 PM
By the way, I don't think I've ever ordered Kobe beef when it was on the menu. Is it worth it?

sooner59
6/16/2011, 10:24 PM
By the way, I don't think I've ever ordered Kobe beef when it was on the menu. Is it worth it?

This was on Valentine's Day so it was a special. It was like 28 oz and literally looked like a tomahawk with this giant bone sticking out making it look like something off of the Flintstones. It was also $65, so it made me want to hate it really bad, but I couldn't. I hated myself for spending that much, though. It was very tender and well marbled and melted in my mouth. My only complaint was that it could have used more salt, but that didn't take away from the meat. It was good. That being said...I have had ribeyes that were just as good and 1 or 2 possibly better and cost less than half that much.

Looked like one of these bad boys:

http://www.paulinameatmarket.com/Pro/tomahawk052709.jpg

JLEW1818
6/16/2011, 10:26 PM
from Houston.

Taste of Texas blows about anything away

AlboSooner
6/16/2011, 10:44 PM
golden coral

SoCaliSooner
6/16/2011, 11:21 PM
Bacon wrapped peppercorn filet at Kincaids in Redondo Beach....

Filet's at Ruth's Chris in Woodland Hills, Pasadena, and San Diego...

Crowned filets from Allen Brothers for a Christmas party two years ago...

StoopTroup
6/16/2011, 11:40 PM
Morton's Steakhouse Nawlin's - Thank you to Harrah's Concierge.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/files/2011/04/dining-9806_-2.jpg

StoopTroup
6/16/2011, 11:41 PM
This was on Valentine's Day so it was a special. It was like 28 oz and literally looked like a tomahawk with this giant bone sticking out making it look like something off of the Flintstones. It was also $65, so it made me want to hate it really bad, but I couldn't. I hated myself for spending that much, though. It was very tender and well marbled and melted in my mouth. My only complaint was that it could have used more salt, but that didn't take away from the meat. It was good. That being said...I have had ribeyes that were just as good and 1 or 2 possibly better and cost less than half that much.

Looked like one of these bad boys:

http://www.paulinameatmarket.com/Pro/tomahawk052709.jpg

That looks delicious.

sooner59
6/17/2011, 12:21 AM
If I weren't in my good clothes, I would have just picked that beeyotch up by the handle and ate it like a caveman.

boomerinhou
6/17/2011, 12:27 AM
(1). My Dad...(RIP)...(Tulsa)...NO ONE charcoaled a better steak than my dad.

(2). Morton's (San Antonio and Houston)...had the filet mignon at both locations...both melted in my mouth!

(3). Capital Grille (Houston)

(4). Churrascos (Houston)

(5). Taste of Texas (Houston)

(6). Trulucks (Houston)

(7). Longhorn Steakhouse (very good steak for a chain)

;)

StoopTroup
6/17/2011, 12:37 AM
If I weren't in my good clothes, I would have just picked that beeyotch up by the handle and ate it like a caveman.

That Morton's place. We were drinking Remi martin Cognac at $30+ a sniffer and after one of the best dinners out I had ever had and that includes a cruise, Mahoganys, Ruth Chris....We had this Godiva's Chocolate Cake thing that was warm and moist and came with a shot of Godiva's Chocolate....I swear i was drunk, completely satisfied via my appetite and then went cruising down Bourbon Street and then we bought some of those Spray can Art Deals From Hugo Montero. He makes those on the sidewalk where you take the Carriages back to Harrah's from Jackson Square.

I'll never forget that night.

http://www.cangogh.net/images/hB.jpghttp://www.cangogh.net/images/yh.jpg

http://www.cangogh.net/history.html

Salt City Sooner
6/17/2011, 01:51 AM
Tie between A) Two Frogs down in Ardmore, & 1A) Three Crowns in Rochester, MN (both were filets).

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 05:52 AM
Been so many cant remember when or where.
But Recently Started going HERE 3 er4 times a month Dont believe the Rib Eye can be beat.

http://www.travelok.com/listings/view.profile/id.8392

" Description

A renowned steakhouse tucked away in the heart of Poteau, Warehouse Willy’s offers the best cuisine from cattle country with a touch of Cajun influence as well. As the winner of the 2000 Golden Fork Award for the best steaks in the United States, Willy’s cuts can’t be beat. Don’t miss the potato wedges, gumbo, the stuffed mushrooms or a local specialty known as mudbugs, better known as fried crawfish. Also of note, HGTV ran a special on the owner and his house above the restaurant.

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 05:53 AM
If any of yall make it to Poteau, Drop in and give it a try.

Mississippi Sooner
6/17/2011, 06:05 AM
Had some good steaks all over the country. Morton's in Nawlins, Capitol Grille in Boston and Bobby Flay's in Atlantic City were all outstanding. Still, nothing beats the filet at a little place in Meridian, MS called The Rustler. Consistently outstanding.

lexsooner
6/17/2011, 07:14 AM
Mahogany Steakhouse in OKC - I had the best filet I have ever had there. Medium rare, done perfectly.

Malone's in Lexington, KY. I eat there frequently and their fllet is expensive, but really good.

Morton's Steakhouse in Louisville, KY. They brought out this cart with models of fresh cuts of steak. It was kind of funny for some reason.

The difference I have found between a real upscale steakhouse and a nice restaurant which happens to serve steak is the former usually gets the cooking level right. The latter usually overcooks the steak and a medium rare order is medium to medium well. In non-steakhouses, burgers are usually cooked well done even if you ask for medium. I'm not even sure why they ask, since they usually overdo it.

Phil
6/17/2011, 07:44 AM
I had a double-cut filet at a place in Boston last November that was awesome and huge. I couldn't even come close to eating the whole thing. And they served it with a roasted bone with a little spoon to scoop the marrow out. That might have been better than the steak.

Boomer.....
6/17/2011, 08:17 AM
All were filets

1) Ruth's Chris in St. Louis
2) Mahogany in Tulsa
3) StripSteak in Las Vegas
4) Red Prime in OKC
5) Opus Prime in OKC

SoonerAtKU
6/17/2011, 08:29 AM
There's a place here in Saint Louis called the Sidney Street Cafe that does a really excellent Filet Au Poivre that I love.

They also sometimes have a steak soup that's basically just their stock, a little salt and pepper, and a piece or two of steak trimmings. It's like drinking a steak, and I could use a gallon of it right now.

rekamrettuB
6/17/2011, 08:48 AM
Charles Mulligan's Steakhouse'

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/180845_114192645324274_114192571990948_109376_5649 463_n.jpg

ouleaf
6/17/2011, 09:05 AM
This thread would make Ron Swanson very proud.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-sM5Kfhv414g/TXXQB3iw70I/AAAAAAAAA5I/r7BmLsHGAOE/Ron-swanson.jpg

For me

1)Filet - Med. Rare, Silver Fox in Frisco, TX
2)Strip - Med. Rare, Butcher Shop in Dallas, TX
3)Porterhouse - Med. Rare, Ranchman's Cafe in Ponder, TX
4)Filet - Med. Rare, Del Frisco's in Ft. Worth, TX
5)Wagyu Skirt Steak - Med. Rare, Lonesome Dove in Ft. Worth, TX

jk the sooner fan
6/17/2011, 09:11 AM
hmmm, good thread - in no particular order

1) Black Angus - panama city, fl - pretty certain it was a ribeye and one of the tastiest steaks i've ever had - was with some good friends at the time that made it even better
2) Ruths' Chris - San Antonio - the night of jk2's high school graduation - again, a huge family gathering and my cousin-in-law picked up the $1500 tab
3) Del Frisco's - Philadelphia - with the boys last December for Army/Navy weekend - GREAT GREAT GREAT steak
4) Smith & Wollensky's - Manhattan - again, in NYC last July with the boys - and a superb dinner
5) Texas Tbone - Grand Island, NE - had a NY Strip there that was surprisingly good

JohnnyMack
6/17/2011, 09:27 AM
Ruth's Chris in Baltimore
Prime at the Bellagio in Vegas

The Maestro
6/17/2011, 09:45 AM
Bone-in filet at Maestro's City Hall Steakhouse in Scottsdale

Bison filet at Kai Restaurant at Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort and Spa in Phoenix.

cantwait48
6/17/2011, 10:21 AM
waffle house

Pricetag
6/17/2011, 10:26 AM
I had an excellent steak in Japan just recently. It cost like 20 times as much as the other steaks, though.

BOOMERBRADLEY
6/17/2011, 10:28 AM
Al Biernat's Dallas

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 10:31 AM
I had an excellent steak in Japan just recently. It cost like 20 times as much as the other steaks, though.

I bet you got a shatty deal.;)

okie52
6/17/2011, 10:33 AM
The best steak I ever had was a Rib eye at the Fireside restaurant at Lake Murray near Ardmore. They use hickory wood fired grills.

Boulevard, Del Frisco, Three forks, and the Ranch have all been excellent too.

Jammin'
6/17/2011, 10:36 AM
1. My uncle-in-law's ranch outside of Poteau, really, everything else is a distance 2nd.
2. St. Elmo's in Indy
3. Rancher's Club in Stillwater
4. The Ranch in OKC
5. after that it becomes more difficult to rank

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 10:39 AM
1. My uncle-in-law's ranch outside of Poteau, really, everything else is a distance 2nd.
2. St. Elmo's in Indy
3. Rancher's Club in Stillwater
4. The Ranch in OKC
5. after that it becomes more difficult to rank

Which side of Poteau ?

jk the sooner fan
6/17/2011, 10:41 AM
Which side of Poteau ?

he said the outside

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 10:42 AM
he said the outside

My bad. :O

Boomer.....
6/17/2011, 11:00 AM
How many sides could Poteau have?

Flagstaffsooner
6/17/2011, 11:38 AM
Ryan's Family Steakhouse;)

captain_surly
6/17/2011, 11:38 AM
Warehouse Willy’s

Home of the Dewey Street Steak Sandwich which is actually a thick sliced fried bologna sandwich. The hillbilly in me loves a restaurant with fried bologna on the menu.

jumperstop
6/17/2011, 11:45 AM
Lots of Poteau love in this thread, my bro lives in Poteau I'll have to tell him to come post in this thread if he's eaten at that place you guys are talking about.

Soonerfan88
6/17/2011, 11:53 AM
Best steaks I've ever had in a restaurant were at Piropos in KC.

Worst steak for the $$ ever had in a restaurant was surprisingly Hereford House in KC.

cccasooner2
6/17/2011, 12:02 PM
Too old to pick a top 5.

My best of recent memory (March 2010) was an elk filet at Charley Palmers, the Grand Sierra in Reno.

hawaii 5-0
6/17/2011, 12:10 PM
Del Rancho. West on Lindsey.

5-0

Trump/ Calvin 2012

SoonerAtKU
6/17/2011, 01:00 PM
Bone-in filet

This was mentioned in the other steak thread. I feel like a rube not knowing what the heck this is...

Is it a porterhouse without the strip, or what?

ouleaf
6/17/2011, 01:34 PM
This was mentioned in the other steak thread. I feel like a rube not knowing what the heck this is...

Is it a porterhouse without the strip, or what?

T-Bones and Porterhouses are both essentially the same, except the Porterhouse steaks are cut from further down on the short loin section of the cow....With the T shaped bone, it has the strip steak on one side and the filet on the other side.

You usually see filets removed from the bone, but some steakhouses will leave it on for cooking. To me it definitely helps add extra flavor when it is left on. I guess they really should not call it bone-in filet, it really is more bone-on filet.

Jammin'
6/17/2011, 03:22 PM
Which side of Poteau ?

The French side.

The
6/17/2011, 03:25 PM
Shiloh Steakhouse. Sequoyah County.

If you know what I'm talking about, I don't want to know about it.

Mjcpr
6/17/2011, 03:27 PM
Shiloh Steakhouse. Sequoyah County.

If you know what I'm talking about, I don't want to know about it.

In Sallisaw?

texaspokieokie
6/17/2011, 03:27 PM
not much of a steak eater, but i like "Outback".

texaspokieokie
6/17/2011, 03:28 PM
How many sides could Poteau have?

used to know a family in Poteau, name was McNut.

The
6/17/2011, 03:30 PM
In Sallisaw?

South of.

A good place to never come back from.

tommieharris91
6/17/2011, 03:30 PM
1. Applebee's
2. Chili's
3. Taco Bell burritos
4. Japanese **** meat
5. Golden Corral

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 03:33 PM
1. Applebee's
2. Chili's
3. Taco Bell burritos
4. Japanese **** meat
5. Golden Corral

:D :D :D

sooneron
6/17/2011, 03:48 PM
#1. Ribeye: Petroleum Club - OKC
#2. Ribeye: Uncle Jack's - Queens NY. There's one in Manhattan, but I don't think its nearly as good.
#3 Porterhouse - Smith & Wollensky's before they got all "chainy" in NYC
#4 Filet- Sparks NYC
#5 Ribeye - Del Frisco's NYC

Red Prime is a VERY close 6th.

The
6/17/2011, 03:52 PM
#1. Ribeye: Petroleum Club - OKC
#2. Ribeye: Uncle Jack's - Queens NY. There's one in Manhattan, but I don't think its nearly as good.
#3 Porterhouse - Smith & Wollensky's before they got all "chainy" in NYC
#4 Filet- Sparks NYC
#5 Ribeye - Del Frisco's NYC

Red Prime is a VERY close 6th.

Commoner.

You haven't lived till you've had the onglet at Le Relais de l'Entrecôte.

Jammin'
6/17/2011, 04:04 PM
Vet, you know hooter? Kinda lives At pmac?

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 04:14 PM
Vet, you know hooter? Kinda lives At pmac?

Dont reckon , Whats a pmac ?

cccasooner2
6/17/2011, 04:19 PM
...A renowned steakhouse tucked away in the heart of Poteau, Warehouse Willy’s offers the best cuisine from cattle country with a touch of Cajun influence as well. As the winner of the 2000 Golden Fork Award for the best steaks in the United States, Willy’s cuts can’t be beat. Don’t miss the potato wedges, gumbo, the stuffed mushrooms or a local specialty known as mudbugs, better known as fried crawfish. Also of note, HGTV ran a special on the owner and his house above the restaurant.

I love crawfish and anything Cajun. Never had them fried but in etouffee and jambalaya. Also, the youngest brother cooks them in "stuff" where you pinch off and eat the tails and suck out the goo from the heads.

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 04:23 PM
I love crawfish and anything Cajun. Never had them fried but in etouffee and jambalaya. Also, the youngest brother cooks them in "stuff" where you pinch off and eat the tails and suck out the goo from the heads.

I haven't ever tried crawfish. but their gumbo is good

Jammin'
6/17/2011, 04:29 PM
Dont reckon , Whats a pmac ?

Poteau men's athletic club. It's a single wide bar in poteau.

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 04:33 PM
Poteau men's athletic club. It's a single wide bar in poteau.

Is that on broadway out by the Dodge dealer ?

I dont go to bars . cause they make you leave when yer all drunked up.:D

Jammin'
6/17/2011, 05:23 PM
Is that on broadway out by the Dodge dealer ?

I dont go to bars . cause they make you leave when yer all drunked up.:D

Only been once. It's behind a liquor store near the best western. Good times.

You know any Frenchs?

olevetonahill
6/17/2011, 05:25 PM
Only been once. It's behind a liquor store near the best western. Good times.

You know any Frenchs?

Ok I know where it is, No I aint ever been unless it was Years and years ago.

No French that I can recall.

ouwasp
6/17/2011, 10:42 PM
This will produce some :rolleyes: , but it's the truth!

Back in '92 my wife and I went on a cruise to the Bahamas. We ate south Florida/Bahamian cuisine for the better part of a week. Seems like everything had a sort of fruity overtone...

Driving back through Alabama we stopped at some roadside diner, and I ordered a simple hamburger steak w/gravy.

It tasted like real food was supposed to taste.

It was a most memorable "steak". Top-5 Worthy, yes sir.

StoopTroup
6/17/2011, 11:01 PM
I watched a show about Jamaican Rastafarian Slaves and some of the girls laying down tracks now....are really hawt.

I bet they know how to make one of those 64 calorie Piña Coladas.....