PDA

View Full Version : Thursday poll: Most dillusional conference reallignment thought

badger
6/16/2011, 11:41 AM
Our Big 12 is a dysfunctional family of fun. :)

Aside from Iowa State, who knew they were at the mercy of everyone else, Texas Tech, who knew that UT wouldn't be able to do anything without them, and us, who knew whatever could happen we would land on our feet regardless, everyone exploded. Imploded? They did a lot of ploding, either way ;)

Who was the craziest family member? Vote for one, vote anonymously and don't even try to change your vote, because you can't (and it's not my fault, don't blame me). Four days of votin'

THE NOMINEES!

Mizzou thinking it would be in the Big Ten

"I'm not going to say anything bad about the Big 12, but when you compare Oklahoma State to Northwestern, when you compare Texas Tech to Wisconsin, I mean, you begin looking at educational possibilities that are worth looking at," Nixon told the AP.

"If a significant conference with a long history of academic and athletic excellence talks about you joining them, you shouldn't just say, 'We're from the old Big 8 and I remember when ... If they want to talk, we should talk, and we should listen."

and then a few months later...

Still, Nixon couldn't resist taking a shot at the two schools scheduled to leave the conference for the Big Ten (Nebraska) and Pac-10 (Colorado) during the next two years.

He called those schools the league's "two weakest basketball programs" while noting that the remaining Big 12 schools could have a better shot of making the NCAA basketball tournament. Nixon said poor win-loss records and weaker schedules by Nebraska and Colorado were dragging down the rankings of other Big 12 schools.

Baylor thinking it has Texas political clout

"This is a classic example of greed and the all-mighty dollar. It starts with people who make decisions at Nebraska and Texas. For people who talk about academics, this is not about what's in the best interest of each student-athlete or the Big 12. It's about money.

"People at universities always want to talk about academics, but this is not about academics. If it's about academics, Baylor would be included in an invite to the Pac-10. There are people who will be invited to the Pac-10 that Baylor has a better academic university than.

"It's about greed, and shame on people at the top. They don't need to preach another day about student-athletes."

Texas A&M thinking it can SEC-ede

Seriously, just go to texags.com some time and see all the SEC-ede tags everyeone :rolleyes:

And the athletic director they call Dollar Bill said this gem to make them angsty even more:

"I was concerned with changing conferences that we may not be ready for the level of competition if we decided to leave.I was very concerned about trying to take things slowly, and not rush."

"If we looked at where we stacked up financially in the Pac 10 conference, we were about third. If we looked at where we stacked up in the Southeastern Conference, we were eighth out of 12. We didn't rank very well."

OSU thinking it would have any conference invite without OU

I remember visiting OP last June and they had a poll going --- what do you prefer? Pac-16? Stay in the Big 12? Hold out for an SEC invite. Seriously, wtf. Do you really think you have an opinion in this matter...

And Boone Pickens was the nice, rational one in it all, imagine that:

"I'm holding out for the Big 12 to stay together -- I think it's a good conference and leave it alone."

"Loyalty is a pretty high priority for me and I'm just not keen on walking out on Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State... The schools that get left out cause me some real pause."

Texas on such a power trip offseason that it sucked during football season

Once again: 5-7 :mack:

KU/KSU basketball

We also are one of the top basketball programs and evn though that is not a main revenue driver the exposure would do very well for the 16-team superconference and allow more chances at national titles in a top tier sport. We also will be able to deliver the KC and St. Louis market.s

Those are OUr markets :P

Link (http://boards.kusports.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1782551&page=&fpart=1&vc=1)

LVSOONER15
6/16/2011, 11:45 AM
Texas A&M are a joke to think they were sec worthy.

SoonerofAlabama
6/16/2011, 11:50 AM
I voted for the Pokes. It was between that and T A&M.

Flagstaffsooner
6/16/2011, 11:53 AM
Baylor, Ann Richards is dead.

JLEW1818
6/16/2011, 11:53 AM
Texas A&M thinking it can SEC-ede

Mississippi Sooner
6/16/2011, 12:44 PM
They are all funny, but I voted for the whorns just because the ensuing 5-7 season was so funny in itself.

NormanPride
6/16/2011, 12:55 PM
Mizzou started the whole thing, and once it came out that nobody wanted them, the butthurt was supreme and complete.

picasso
6/16/2011, 12:56 PM
Who was diluted?

pweitkem
6/16/2011, 01:18 PM
Other -
Nebraska saying they left for the Big X for academics, those Texas meanies, better regional alignment, wanting to play Iowa, etc when everyone, I mean everyone outside of Lincoln knows they left the Big XII because they were irrelevant.

badger
6/16/2011, 05:30 PM
Wow, closer poll than expected. Sooner fans are largely very one-opinion on football :D

As Uncle Dave revealed later (not that he should have said it publicly, but it was fun to know), OU was not panicked by conference reallignment talk, because the SEC secretly told them that they'd make room for us if we needed a home. The Pac 10 of course coveted our area and football prestige, so they'd be willing to accommodate our in-state rivals just to get us.

Of the leading options, it turns out that Mizzou never had a Big Ten offer and was never going to receive one. Mizzou has largely been an underachieving team in what should be a market they control (kind of like Colorado, except Colorado has actually had a few signature sports moments over the years). Since they already had Illinois, they didn't have a void to fill in the "underachiever in big market state" category.

When Texas A&M got all fired up over going S-E-C! S-E-C! they were threatened with the prospect of losing state funding, their in-state rivalry game with UT and, of course, losing every conference matchup in their new conference because they can barely compete year-in, year-out where they are now. Yes, they beat us, but so did RC... and you fired him right after that. Are you going to fire Sherm Sherm for beating us too? :rcmad:

OSU, the dearly beloved little sister school, is someone we protect like a younger sibling. Boren et al wants to have an academic ally when he begs the state for more money so he only has to raise tuition 5 percent instead of 10 (or whatever the going rate is now), so I don't see us splitting up with them in the near future, unless it just happens. And if it does, hope you like the MWC or C-USA, Pokes. Your new in-state rivalry can be with University of Tulsa! :stunned:

finster
6/16/2011, 05:51 PM
nother other,
"All the Big Ten schools are AAU members," Nebraska Chancellor Harvey Perlman said. "I doubt that our application would've been accepted had we not been a member of the organization
YOINK!

EatLeadCommie
6/16/2011, 06:38 PM
I went with Mizzou.

A&M knew it wasn't going anywhere unless it could bring OU with it.

goingoneight
6/16/2011, 06:47 PM
Who was diluted?

The BIG 12 was diluted when two big programs left. Like it or not, this will prove true soon enough. No matter how much smoke Beebe blows up everyones' asses.

finster
6/16/2011, 06:52 PM
The BIG 12 was diluted when two big programs left.

Good point.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/16/2011, 07:02 PM
I took Write-In, because looking at the responses the glaring omission can be summed up in one word: Nebraska.

They were delusional thinking they mattered academically. Well, buh-bye AAU membership, thanks in no small part to at least one Big Ten buddy that voted them out (Penn State.)

They were delusional thinking there was a big pot of gold at the end of the Big Ten rainbow because of equal "all-tiers" TV contract revenue sharing and a Big Ten network. Well, now the Big XII deal having been struck where they could have been in the top 3 (along w/ OU and Texas) in the uneven revenue sharing (which is now greatly increased), they also are faced with the fact that they have to split Big Ten network revenue evenly when they could have shared "Big Red Network" revenue with exactly no one. (They easily have the rabid national following to have pulled off their own network.)

They were delusional thinking (as stated previously) that they matter in the Big Ten pecking order. Heck, you see a lot of Bugeaters crowing that they are going to come in and dominate. Well, the schedule they received was not one that would have been negotiated from a position of strength. You think Notre Dame would have accepted that kind of a schedule if they had made the leap to the Big Ten? They are no better than sixth, yes SIXTH, in the Big Ten pecking order currently behind tOSU, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Iowa. All 5 of those schools have more Rose Bowl and BCS clout than does NU over the last 10 years, and it isn't even close.

Speaking of Notre Dame, it is clear now that Nebraska was merely a fall-back choice in lieu of the Big Ten getting the Domers. Well, how long do you think it will be before Notre Dame finally has to capitulate and join a conference? Who do you think they will seek a marriage with first? I doubt it would be any of the Big East, Big Twelve, or any other conference, rather than (oh yes) the Big Ten. Now it is pretty well established that 13 would be a rather unwieldy number of conference members, and there really isn't a bevy of other choices that would make sense for the Big Ten for a 14th member. I think the Big 10 would seek to stay at 12 teams. Who do you think they would invite to leave?

Maybe they would invite the only school that is not a member of the prestigious AAU.

I think you will eventually see NU back in the Big XII. (And BYU will be a great fit to replace Colorado then, too.)

I know people think NU has burned too many bridges. I don't. I think when bitter old men like Tom Osborne finally retire you may in fact see a joyful reunion of OU and Nebraska in conference. Let's just hope the Big XII leadership don't botch it this time and they adopt the SEC model so that OU and NU can be permanent opposite division opponents.

boomersooner28
6/16/2011, 07:04 PM
ALL of the above! :D

Peach Fuzz
6/16/2011, 11:54 PM
In all seriousness, ku thinking bball is legit for the convo table... get the fawk out!

delhalew
6/17/2011, 08:03 AM
Mizzou started the whole thing, and once it came out that nobody wanted them, the butthurt was supreme and complete.

That get's my vote as well.

Soonerfan88
6/17/2011, 08:55 AM
It went back & forth but finally settled on A&M. Maybe their admin knew the real story but their fans were over the top. Mizzou was a 2nd choice because their admin really thought they were a shoo-in for the Big 10 but the lack of noise from their fans was nice since I live among them.

texaspokieokie
6/17/2011, 10:04 AM
The BIG 12 was diluted when two big programs left. Like it or not, this will prove true soon enough. No matter how much smoke Beebe blows up everyones' asses.

looks to me like 2 programs leaving would cause the opposite of "dilution".

mainline13
6/18/2011, 12:30 AM
Hmmmm, that's a pickle .....

King Barry's Back
6/18/2011, 06:17 AM
I took Write-In, because looking at the responses the glaring omission can be summed up in one word: Nebraska.

They were delusional thinking they mattered academically. Well, buh-bye AAU membership, thanks in no small part to at least one Big Ten buddy that voted them out (Penn State.)

They were delusional thinking there was a big pot of gold at the end of the Big Ten rainbow because of equal "all-tiers" TV contract revenue sharing and a Big Ten network. Well, now the Big XII deal having been struck where they could have been in the top 3 (along w/ OU and Texas) in the uneven revenue sharing (which is now greatly increased), they also are faced with the fact that they have to split Big Ten network revenue evenly when they could have shared "Big Red Network" revenue with exactly no one. (They easily have the rabid national following to have pulled off their own network.)

They were delusional thinking (as stated previously) that they matter in the Big Ten pecking order. Heck, you see a lot of Bugeaters crowing that they are going to come in and dominate. Well, the schedule they received was not one that would have been negotiated from a position of strength. You think Notre Dame would have accepted that kind of a schedule if they had made the leap to the Big Ten? They are no better than sixth, yes SIXTH, in the Big Ten pecking order currently behind tOSU, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Iowa. All 5 of those schools have more Rose Bowl and BCS clout than does NU over the last 10 years, and it isn't even close.

Speaking of Notre Dame, it is clear now that Nebraska was merely a fall-back choice in lieu of the Big Ten getting the Domers. Well, how long do you think it will be before Notre Dame finally has to capitulate and join a conference? Who do you think they will seek a marriage with first? I doubt it would be any of the Big East, Big Twelve, or any other conference, rather than (oh yes) the Big Ten. Now it is pretty well established that 13 would be a rather unwieldy number of conference members, and there really isn't a bevy of other choices that would make sense for the Big Ten for a 14th member. I think the Big 10 would seek to stay at 12 teams. Who do you think they would invite to leave?

Maybe they would invite the only school that is not a member of the prestigious AAU.

I think you will eventually see NU back in the Big XII. (And BYU will be a great fit to replace Colorado then, too.)

I know people think NU has burned too many bridges. I don't. I think when bitter old men like Tom Osborne finally retire you may in fact see a joyful reunion of OU and Nebraska in conference. Let's just hope the Big XII leadership don't botch it this time and they adopt the SEC model so that OU and NU can be permanent opposite division opponents.

There's a lot of pure gold analysis in this post, but Nebraska will never be invited to leave the Big 10. That's really just not how these games are played. And if anyone was asked to leave, I'd see Northwestern going, but that's just me. (NW brings almost nothing to the conference table.)

And I don't think you'll ever see Nebraska in a conference alignment with Oklahoma again, either. They get huge research money from the Big 10, and no other conference even plays in that area.

King Barry's Back
6/18/2011, 06:24 AM
For what it's worth, I chose Mizzou as most delusional. Mizzou, from top administrators right down to the fans, saw themselves as king makers, holding the key to conference realignment across the mid-west.

They saw their choice as "Stay and help prop up an ailing Big XII? Or consider a rich offer to join the prestigious, big money Big 10, and help to pull the plug on the Big XII?"

Well, when reality struck up side their heads, they learned that their real options were beg OU and TX to bail them out, or beg Conference USA to let them try to compete at the mid-major level.

Sure, the aggies of Stilly and College Station were fun to laugh at, but Mizzou had some serious, world class delusionalism going on up there.

It must really suck to be them, and reality still must hurt.

I'd feel sorry for them if they hadn't contributed to the whole mess by openly lobbying for the Big 10 for the past decade.

ouflak
6/18/2011, 02:38 PM
Write in:
That an SEC team, or two, would want to leave the SEC and join the new Big XII minus CU and NU. I couldn't believe people in any sort of reality would think this was plausible. Yet I heard it several times on just about every discussion on the topic on various Big XII team boards, especially OU, OSU and Horns boards. I remember one poster stating, to paraphrase,
"... so the SEC will decide to do what's best for college football and Arkansas and LSU will move over to the Big XII. Now I'm not sure what teams the SEC finds to replace those teams...." ?????????

finster
6/18/2011, 05:16 PM
looks to me like 2 programs leaving would cause the opposite of "dilution".

I’m not quite following this,Its not like we now get to split up 12 earnings among 10 teams. We lost a good earner and whatever CU was and are left with lower TV and bowl revenue coming from the old North division. It won't hurt OU and TU much,But to say the B-12 TV contracts and National interest in league games played is better?
Anyway isn’t this supposed to be a delusion thread?