PDA

View Full Version : Gunner Kiel at Bama today

NorCal Sooner
6/15/2011, 04:38 PM
FWIW, Gunner is at Bama today (this part is fact) and the rumor mill is buzzing that he is going to commit to Bama sometime today (this part is rumor).

I really hope we don't lose this guy to Bama:mad:

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Boards/901/33901/151904.jpg

Mad Dog Madsen
6/15/2011, 04:41 PM
He won't commit to Bama. That is all...

NormanPride
6/15/2011, 04:44 PM
I've heard a lot of smoke about a commitment to Kansas.

JLEW1818
6/15/2011, 04:45 PM

i heard UTSA

SoonerofAlabama
6/15/2011, 04:46 PM

Kansas, where winners are made. Something sounds off. :D

NorCal Sooner
6/15/2011, 04:47 PM
He won't commit to Bama. That is all...

Hope you're right:confused:

NorCal Sooner
6/15/2011, 04:48 PM
i heard UTSA

They already have a good QB.:eek:

Mad Dog Madsen
6/15/2011, 04:50 PM
Hope you're right:confused:

He was ready to commit to Bama a couple of weeks ago but the visit to OU made him re-think everything. He's now visiting all the schools one more time before he makes his final decision.

badger
6/15/2011, 04:59 PM
It'll be just like in NCAA Football 2011 for Xbox 360. NormanPride will call up the recruit, scream "S-E-C! S-E-C!" into the phone and hang up.

Suddenly the recruit (whom will not be named Gunner, but instead will be indentified as Johnny Smith QB#1) will realize that the SEC had A-plus conference prestige, compared with the Big 12's A-minus, and then Bammer will gain +73 recruiting points, and OU will get smacked with a big -33.

Suddenly, a soft verbal for OU becomes a strong verbal for Bama... and strong verbals never waiver in that video game. :(

Doooooooooooommmmmmmmmm

BoulderSooner79
6/15/2011, 05:41 PM
Sabanball is probably there now promising girls and cash and generally begging Kiel to sign on ;)

colinreturn
6/15/2011, 07:32 PM
It'll be just like in NCAA Football 2011 for Xbox 360. NormanPride will call up the recruit, scream "S-E-C! S-E-C!" into the phone and hang up.

Suddenly the recruit (whom will not be named Gunner, but instead will be indentified as Johnny Smith QB#1) will realize that the SEC had A-plus conference prestige, compared with the Big 12's A-minus, and then Bammer will gain +73 recruiting points, and OU will get smacked with a big -33.

Suddenly, a soft verbal for OU becomes a strong verbal for Bama... and strong verbals never waiver in that video game. :(

Doooooooooooommmmmmmmmm

I love the recruiting part of the dynasty mode. Have you played in a Online with a few guys? It's really fun. Recruiting can get really hard.

SunnySooner
6/15/2011, 07:41 PM
I don't see no former Bama QB dustin' off a Heisman, cashin' a bajillion dollar check, and being lauded as the Neffels Offensive Rookie of the Year. Jus' sayin'.

TUSKtimes
6/15/2011, 07:54 PM
I don't see no former Bama QB dustin' off a Heisman, cashin' a bajillion dollar check, and being lauded as the Neffels Offensive Rookie of the Year. Jus' sayin'.

You could say that about running back, before last year. Our new motto: "Come to Bama, and make history."

Actually, Bart Starr, Joe Willie Namath, The Snake, Kenny Stabler, cashed a few NFL checks, made the Hall of fame and won a few super bowls. Turns out they really didn't need a Heisman.

agoo758
6/15/2011, 07:56 PM
I stopped playing NCAA after 2007, recruiting got too complicated. I just want to play the damn game!

mightysooner
6/15/2011, 07:59 PM
If he wants to go to Bama and spend his career handing the ball off that's his decision.

Partial Qualifier
6/15/2011, 08:13 PM
Actually, Bart Starr, Joe Willie Namath, The Snake, Kenny Stabler, cashed a few NFL checks, made the Hall of fame and won a few super bowls. Turns out they really didn't need a Heisman.

Yeah but look at those guys now. Old and wrinkly! And I bet Namath wouldn't be the howling embarrassment he is today had he gone to, idunno, Tennessee or someplace.

swardboy
6/15/2011, 08:18 PM
You could say that about running back, before last year. Our new motto: "Come to Bama, and make history."

Hilarious! The most recent of those names played 44 years ago at 'Bama. Do you really think a 16 year old cares?

TUSKtimes
6/15/2011, 08:26 PM
Yeah but look at those guys now. Old and wrinkly! And I bet Namath wouldn't be the howling embarrassment he is today had he gone to, idunno, Tennessee or someplace.

Oh, by the way, Joe Willie and the Snake also won a national championship at Alabama as well. I'm sure they stay up late at night wondering about that Tennessee thing.

TUSKtimes
6/15/2011, 08:29 PM
Hilarious! The most recent of those names played 44 years ago at 'Bama. Do you really think a 16 year old cares?

I don't know, how long would you have to go back in Oklahoma football history, at the QB position, to match it?

Sooner_Tuf
6/15/2011, 08:52 PM
Since a QB won the Heisman at OU?

Are you retarded?

SoonerofAlabama
6/15/2011, 09:04 PM
Since a quarterback won the Heisman or won a MNC? Either way, stop trying.

TUSKtimes
6/15/2011, 09:05 PM
Since a QB won the Heisman at OU?

Are you retarded?

Are you? Read the thread. How many QBs from Oklahoma have won a national championship, NFL super bowl and had an NFL Hall of Fame career?

Anyone going to adopt Troy Aikman?

Partial Qualifier
6/15/2011, 09:06 PM
Are you? Read the thread. How many QBs from Oklahoma have won a national championship, NFL super bowl and had an NFL Hall of Fame career?

Anyone going to adopt Troy Aikman?

Troy WHO!? :D

Sabanball
6/15/2011, 09:16 PM
Tusk, give it up. Just like us, OU will be just fine with or without Gunner Kiel. Show a little more class when you're in their sandbox, I do.

Sabanball is probably there now promising girls and cash and generally begging Kiel to sign on ;)

You're confusing me with Trooper Taylor at Auburn.;)

Let me say this--Whether he ends up in Norman or Tuscaloosa, the young man can't go wrong. Our programs are two of the very few that are on the same level and he'll do fine and advance to the NFL from either, IMO. I'll concede I don't think he'll get the chance to sling it around as much here as he would with you guys, but then again he'll definitely be playing big boy football in the SEC--no one can deny that.

sooner59
6/15/2011, 09:31 PM
He can do what he wants. We are going to win games and championships either way.

Mongo
6/15/2011, 09:36 PM
Oh, by the way, Joe Willie and the Snake also won a national championship at Alabama as well. I'm sure they stay up late at night wondering about that Tennessee thing.

who the **** hasnt won a championship at Bama? yall have 88 of them

TUSKtimes
6/15/2011, 09:36 PM
[QUOTE=Sabanball;3263637]Tusk, give it up. Just like us, OU will be just fine with or without Gunner Kiel. Show a little more class when you're in their sandbox, I do.

Well Sabanball, I'm probably much more interested in the historical narrative to begin with. Nothing wrong with the opportunity to put your convictions to work, regardless of who's sandbox you live in.

sooner518
6/15/2011, 09:55 PM
[QUOTE=Sabanball;3263637]Tusk, give it up. Just like us, OU will be just fine with or without Gunner Kiel. Show a little more class when you're in their sandbox, I do.

Well Sabanball, I'm probably much more interested in the historical narrative to begin with. Nothing wrong with the opportunity to put your convictions to work, regardless of who's sandbox you live in.

I'm guessing if you put those 3 qbs on a list of 25 other former nfl quarterbacks and told a 16 year old to tell you where they went to college, he would have no clue where any of those guys went. And it's sure as hell not relevant to point out how great your school is at developing great quarterbacks when the coaching staff who coached them have all probably been dead for a good 15 years.

I'm sure recruits are thinking "wow. That Joe namath had a great career at Alabama. And Kenny stabler too. Those Alabama coaches really know how to develop great quarterbacks!!".

Alabama football has a lot of great selling points. The ones you're trying to sell are irrelevant and stupid.

badger
6/15/2011, 10:05 PM

Historical, eh?

http://uanews.ua.edu/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/football_72.jpg

:D We never lost to him when he was your coach, either :D

EatLeadCommie
6/15/2011, 10:22 PM
think he's talking about HoF and Super Bowls and not Heismans. Still, Saban's style has never been very QB-heavy.

badger
6/16/2011, 08:47 AM
think he's talking about HoF and Super Bowls and not Heismans. Still, Saban's style has never been very QB-heavy.

Of course he's not talking about Heismans... that's plural. They have ONE, and up through a few seasons ago, they had NONE. That's not something you can claim just off random polls or undefeated seasons from a billion years ago like national championships.

(No offense to fun Bammers. He started it!)

As for Super Bowls and Hall of Fames, resident Packer fans here, we love what Bart Starr did for us why back when.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/15/2011, 04:38 PM
Whoops... :D

Partial Qualifier
7/15/2011, 05:08 PM
Whoops... :D

What.. did he commit to Bama? :)

OUInformant
7/15/2011, 05:57 PM
Alabama has 8 AP and/or Coaches poll (different versions of it) titles since 1936, when the poll era began. OU has 7 titles.

That is what I consider legit.

OUInformant
7/15/2011, 06:00 PM
I'll take any guy of the caliber of Gunner, but we'll win with or without him.

Our coaches have done some amazing work with our QBs over the past 12 years.

SyN
7/15/2011, 08:10 PM
Hell! We don't need Gunner!!! We just got that kid Trevor ___? Oh Hell!! What's that kids name??? Ah HeLL!! It don't matter..Chances are he will never see the field anyway...

SoonerofAlabama
7/15/2011, 08:17 PM
^ Trevor Knight.

goingoneight
7/15/2011, 08:32 PM
Josh Heupel won it all coming from a JUCO route.
Hybl transferred in.
White won a Heisman and a BIG 12 Championship after numerous injuries. No one saw this coming.
ENA switched from WR to QB in three weeks time to win a BIG 12 Championship.
Sam Bradford was nobody's Johnny Five-Star coming out of HS... 'nuff said.
Landry's on track to break nearly all of their records.

We do aiiight with QBs. :cool:

SyN
7/15/2011, 09:35 PM
SoonerofAlabama: I was being sarcastic! Very few even seen this commitment coming!! Or knew of this young player... whether or not he pans out? who knows? I would just love to see the Sooners land a #1 ranked QB...As well as the #1 WR...

SoonerofAlabama
7/15/2011, 09:55 PM
SoonerofAlabama: I was being sarcastic! Very few even seen this commitment coming!! Or knew of this young player... whether or not he pans out? who knows? I would just love to see the Sooners land a #1 ranked QB...As well as the #1 WR...

I got you now. Sorry, internet sarcasm goes right past me.

Salt City Sooner
7/16/2011, 12:29 AM
Been there, done that, & considering the results, the words "be careful of what you wish for" come to mind pretty quickly, at least for me.

SoonerofAlabama
7/16/2011, 12:46 AM
Who needs the #1 QB in a recruiting class. Those rankings are just predictions of what the player will do. Doesn't usually work out in the end. Every now and again, you get thi stud QB who is great all the way from High School to the NFL, but it is very rare. I'd take the #17-20 QB who ends up the Heisman winner over the #1 QB who gets over-hyped and becomes a below-average QB in the NCAA.

SyN
7/16/2011, 01:59 PM
I agree 100% on your input...I just think these 2 are the real deal...JMHO... Time will tell...

soonerboomer93
7/16/2011, 02:18 PM

At the end of the day, I really don't care what xxx is ranked vs xxx. There are thousands of kids and the difference in skill between #1 vs #20 probably isn't that huge. I'd rather have someone who wants to come and play here and knows they want to come and play here. Who will follow the rules and not be a dumbass and commit a violation. 17-18 year olds are plenty flaky as is. If they decide to come here, then welcome. If they don't want to come here, then best wishes.

BoulderSooner79
7/16/2011, 02:44 PM
I'd take the #17-20 QB who ends up the Heisman winner over the #1 QB who gets over-hyped and becomes a below-average QB in the NCAA.

Well there you go then - because predicting which #17-20 QB who ends up the Heisman winner *and* wants to go to OU is a piece of cake!

sooner KB
7/16/2011, 03:18 PM
Who needs the #1 QB in a recruiting class. Those rankings are just predictions of what the player will do. Doesn't usually work out in the end. Every now and again, you get thi stud QB who is great all the way from High School to the NFL, but it is very rare. I'd take the #17-20 QB who ends up the Heisman winner over the #1 QB who gets over-hyped and becomes a below-average QB in the NCAA.

I don't know if I would say rare.

Carson Palmer, #1 (scout)
Matt Leinart, #1 (scout)
Tim Tebow, #1 (rivals)
Cam Newton (out of HS), #2 (rivals)

Those are just 4 out of the last 7 Heisman trophy winning QB's.

BoomerJ
7/16/2011, 05:09 PM
Where was Josh Heupel ranked nationally? Where was Jason White ranked? How about Sam? How about Landry? The first has a national championship ring and was runner up to the Heisman. The second and third played for the national championship and both have Heisman trophys. I'm predicting Landry will get both.

SyN
7/16/2011, 08:16 PM
I hope the OL is good enough to protect him all season... If he can stay healthy? He has a dang good shot...

goingoneight
7/19/2011, 08:13 PM
It's neat to land a guy like GK McCoy, who is #1 in his class and loves OU. It's not so much fun when a guy like Bomar comes in with all his stars and hype and does what he did. Plain and simple.

Stars and rankings aren't something to get your hopes up about. Look at the hype surrounding Garrett Gilbert pre-2009 and look at the lack thereof surrounding Sam Bradford. Even our own fans wanted the hotshot blue chipper, Keith Nichol more than Sam until he dropped about five bombs on Miami in Norman... then they were all like "whoa, man..."

Really, all you gotta do is look at their film and see what their measurables are versus what they appear to be able to do. Don't worry about us not getting Steven Garcia or Nathan Scheelhaase when we get Drew Allen. Especially when we have Heupel here to make whoever under center a star.

cvsooner
7/27/2011, 04:00 PM
Kiel is going to play for Kevin Wilson at Indiana. Whoa...nice landing a big 'un, Kevin. Stinks for us.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/27/nations-top-2012-qb-opts-for-indiana/

silverwheels
7/27/2011, 04:01 PM
We weren't going to get him anyway once we nabbed Knight from A&M.

LVSOONER15
7/27/2011, 04:01 PM
Wow

Mad Dog Madsen
7/27/2011, 04:20 PM
WTF?!? :confused:

badger
7/27/2011, 04:29 PM
Gunner's dad told the Indy Star that the deciding factor was that KW had trained up a lot of quarterbacks, not just Sammie.

Ummmmmmm... am I missing something, or was KW in charge of the O-line, not the quarterbacks and it was Josh Heupel, not KW, who trained up all those QBs including Sam?

northspeter
7/27/2011, 04:49 PM
Gunner's dad told the Indy Star that the deciding factor was that KW had trained up a lot of quarterbacks, not just Sammie.

Ummmmmmm... am I missing something, or was KW in charge of the O-line, not the quarterbacks and it was Josh Heupel, not KW, who trained up all those QBs including Sam?

you are missing something.. kevin wilson was the offensive coordinator.. called the plays and designed the offense... he knows what he's doing...

Curly Bill
7/27/2011, 04:51 PM
Kid coulda played for OU, coulda played for Alabama, he goes to Indiana...? I think that says something about him. I doubt getting trained up was as big a consideration, as facing less competition was.

silverwheels
7/27/2011, 04:52 PM
I'm sure the fact that it's 45 minutes away from home and his brother is already there might have had something to do with it, too.

Curly Bill
7/27/2011, 04:52 PM
you are missing something.. kevin wilson was the offensive coordinator.. called the plays and designed the offense... he knows what he's doing...

But Josh was the QB coach, and all those little QB fundamentals and stuff would have come from Josh.

Curly Bill
7/27/2011, 04:53 PM
I'm sure the fact that it's 45 minutes away from home and his brother is already there might have had something to do with it, too.

Home cooking is yummy.

badger
7/27/2011, 09:43 PM
Very happy for KW. Seems to be a good get for him. Hope they both win the Big Ten :)

Partial Qualifier
7/27/2011, 09:53 PM
Kid coulda played for OU, coulda played for Alabama, he goes to Indiana...? I think that says something about him. I doubt getting trained up was as big a consideration, as facing less competition was.

I agree.

Sometimes big-name recruits mistakenly think being a "big fish in a small pond" -- like going to a small school with little surrounding talent and zero expectations -- is a smart move. It's usually doesn't work out the way they imagine it would.

Now this kid may be able to shine despite having thin talent around him. Then again, he might've gotten lost on the depth chart at a school like OU or Alabama. Very rarely do "sure thing" high school QB's turn out to be the real deal. Who knows, but good luck to him and Coach Wilson

Curly Bill
7/27/2011, 09:57 PM
Just seems like less a football move, and more of a: I don't wanna get too far from mom move. I get that and more power to him, but it doesn't give me much faith that he's the next great QB.

soonerloyal
7/27/2011, 09:58 PM
Good for GK and for KW. I wish them them very best. Unless they play us, of course.

Just don't keep runnin' it up the middle, dude.

sooneron
7/27/2011, 10:51 PM

Are you claiming 4 qbs there? Just curious. :pop: