PDA

View Full Version : Now that I have time to check in

MamaMia
6/15/2011, 01:06 PM
I've just spent the last few weeks sleeping in a chair in the neurological ICU next to my daughter. They recently moved her up to a regular room, so shes doing better now. She has two blood clots that they were unable to completely remove, but shes on medication to try to make them dissolve. We were told that she only had a 5% chance of living through this. This has been the hardest thing I have ever had to face and cant imagine what it would be like not to have God in our lives. She suffered a blunt trauma stroke and has lost use of her left side. Shes starting to feel pain and tingling in her arm and hand, but its going to be a long process. Her doctors, nurses and health care providers are the best.

I got an extended stay room a couple of miles from the hospital and I don't own a laptop. I am 2 and a half hours from my home. Its hard to post with this iPhone. Shes the daughter who is a medic and was on leave from EMSA because she made the decision to stay with her baby until she was 30 months old.

saucysoonergal
6/15/2011, 01:08 PM
Mama, you have been through more than one person should have to these last few years. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

olevetonahill
6/15/2011, 01:09 PM
Dayum Mom, Ive been worried about you, Will keep Yall in Prayer

MamaMia
6/15/2011, 01:12 PM
Mama, you have been through more than one person should have to these last few years. You are in my thoughts and prayers. March of last year is when it all started. Its been trying but we are a strong, close family with amazing friends.

soonerchk
6/15/2011, 01:14 PM
Holy crap!! I hope she gets well and gets her life back! They can do so much for stroke patients now with rehab and therapy. Good luck!

MamaMia
6/15/2011, 01:19 PM
She lost her medical insurance so some folks are starting a trust fund for her. She just had a birthday. We were all suppose to be in South Padre during that time, so we decorated her room in a beach theme. She enjoyed that. Shes a very sweet girl. Shes more worried about all of us than she is herself. :(

Boomer.....
6/16/2011, 07:39 AM
So sorry Mama. Stay strong. :(

You and your family are in my prayers.

3rdgensooner
6/16/2011, 07:53 AM
How scary. Blessings and strength to all of you.

Romulus
6/16/2011, 08:21 AM
What kind of blunt trauma did she get?
Sounds horrible

TheHumanAlphabet
6/16/2011, 08:40 AM
Prayers for your family.

Fugue
6/16/2011, 08:40 AM
Prayers

:(

Cheez-It
6/16/2011, 10:19 AM
Oh wow. Prayers to your daughter, you and your entire family!!

The Profit
6/16/2011, 10:23 AM
Mama, I am so sorry this happened to your daughter. I pray that she makes a full recovery.

Ctina
6/17/2011, 10:45 AM
Yikes! Sounds like things are progressing though. I hope it keeps getting better.

A Sooner in Texas
6/17/2011, 01:25 PM
All the best to your daughter, Mama, and to you and your family.

badger
6/17/2011, 01:43 PM
*hug*

I bet you could use some cheering up? Here, let me give you the Sic Em treatment (he got Baylor photos though, hehe):

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/014/302/107844629_crop_650x440.jpg

http://media.lawrence.com/img/croppedphotos/2010/12/05/Big-12-Championship-F_Bell_tx400.jpg

http://blog.newsok.com/photo/files/2010/11/OU-OSU-football07.jpg

http://www.oufoundation.org/sm/winter2003/images/year/y1.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/292bs7b.jpg

http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20110519-austin_box.jpg.ece/ALTERNATES/w260/AUSTIN_BOX.JPG

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/342/088/654889_display_image.jpg

http://frathousesports.com/wp-content/uploads/Whitney-Hand-Lanry-Jones-Dating-Picture.jpg

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Travis+Lewis+Texas+v+Oklahoma+c3KORgfrH6nl.jpg

Thoughts and prayers to your daughter.

MamaMia
7/1/2011, 12:35 PM
What kind of blunt trauma did she get?
Sounds horrible

I have heard two different stories from her loser husband. He told me it took him "a half hour to 40 minutes" to even call 911! Shes laying on the floor slurring her words, her eyes look "funny" he said. She cant move the left side of her body and he MOVES her, DROPS her twice trying to get her in the bed? He tells me this, I slapped him on the arm I was so pissed. I said "What were you thinking!"

1st story...he came home from playing golf. Weird since he cant afford to play golf. Probably because he was jealous of the fact my daughter made a lot more money that he did and paid for their benefits, I found out he made her quit work. Wanted her to be a stay at home mom. She was devastated but did what he told her to do.

2nd story...He came home from work and found her like that

3rd story from my daughter writing and signing to me...he was throwing the baby in the air, she was scared she was going to fall and tried to stop him so he chocked her. The surgeries, the drugs...Shes forgotten all that now. So, who knows?

Oh,...and now hes saying he called 911 right away but the ICU nurse heard him say different.

ouduckhunter
7/1/2011, 01:04 PM
OMG Mama, I am so sorry for your poor daughter, you, and all of the family and friends who are supporting her. She is in my prayers that she heals, recovers and can lead a normal, happy life. I am sure that you are a constant comfort to her, and that she counts her lucky stars that you are her mother. Sending a big hug and prayers to you too! Stay strong, take care, and keep us all posted!

SoCaliSooner
7/1/2011, 01:05 PM
I have heard two different stories from her loser husband. He told me it took him "a half hour to 40 minutes" to even call 911! Shes laying on the floor slurring her words, her eyes look "funny" he said. She cant move the left side of her body and he MOVES her, DROPS her twice trying to get her in the bed? He tells me this, I slapped him on the arm I was so pissed. I said "What were you thinking!"

1st story...he came home from playing golf. Weird since he cant afford to play golf. Probably because he was jealous of the fact my daughter made a lot more money that he did and paid for their benefits, I found out he made her quit work. Wanted her to be a stay at home mom. She was devastated but did what he told her to do.

2nd story...He came home from work and found her like that

3rd story from my daughter writing and signing to me...he was throwing the baby in the air, she was scared she was going to fall and tried to stop him so he chocked her. The surgeries, the drugs...Shes forgotten all that now. So, who knows?

Oh,...and now hes saying he called 911 right away but the ICU nurse heard him say different.

You need to teach a 911 class. People all react differently during a medical crisis. Most "losers" attend to their loved one right away before disconnecting to call 911. They have no idea what to do other than immediately make their wife, child or loved one immediately comfortable while their brain, in shock, tries to process what is happening.

I am glad you are the expert in how to react and what to do.

Boomer.....
7/1/2011, 01:06 PM
Sorry to hear all of that, Mama.

Are there any charges being pressed or are the police looking into it?

jk the sooner fan
7/1/2011, 01:13 PM
this will end well....

Partial Qualifier
7/1/2011, 01:16 PM
I don't think any of her personal & family drama ever really "ends", it just sortof fades away as new drama is brought to our attention

StoopTroup
7/1/2011, 01:21 PM
You realize she is talking about her Sister and not some random person right?

jk the sooner fan
7/1/2011, 01:22 PM
she's talking about her daughter, and not some random sister

StoopTroup
7/1/2011, 01:22 PM
she's talking about her daughter, and not some random sister

There ya go....

I mean....it's her Family and she needs to vent. If you can't deal with it....why not just find a lake to go swim in?

olevetonahill
7/1/2011, 01:23 PM
You realize she is talking about her Sister and not some random person right?

Its her daughter. there are some dayum idiots posting here :rolleyes:
Not referring to you ST.

sooner_born_1960
7/1/2011, 01:24 PM
I gotta agree. The mean-spirited posts are uncalled for.

StoopTroup
7/1/2011, 01:27 PM
I think Positive waves are what are required here....

Mama....Prayers to your Daughter and hopefully her Husband and you can work through this and things turn out OK for everyone Darlin'

Sorry about the Sister thing...I just was a bit shocked at some of the statements you got...

olevetonahill
7/1/2011, 01:29 PM
Agreed ST. Im wondering if these same folk who want to ridicule some one else's troubles would be so ****in flippant if it was their wife or child :rolleyes:

Flagstaffsooner
7/1/2011, 01:38 PM
Mama, we have been friends for years now. You know you have my prayers.

Flagstaffsooner
7/1/2011, 01:40 PM
I don't think any of her personal & family drama ever really "ends", it just sortof fades away as new drama is brought to our attentionWhat a prick.:mad:

Partial Qualifier
7/1/2011, 01:42 PM
Hold on, now what??

Are you guise saying my post was mean-spirited?? wtf

sooner_born_1960
7/1/2011, 01:48 PM
It came off that way to me.

Flagstaffsooner
7/1/2011, 01:52 PM
Damn tootin

jkjsooner
7/1/2011, 02:06 PM
I hate to hear this but glad you shared the story. Here's hoping your daughter gets better. As a parent this is unimaginable. Hugs!

GKeeper316
7/1/2011, 02:13 PM
how much can a family get kicked in the nuts???

the good news is that if a stroke victim gets to a neurologist within 5 hours of the stroke happening, there's a 90% chance that all the effects will eventually be reversed. i hope it goes well for your baby girl :)

MamaMia
7/1/2011, 02:25 PM
I don't think any of her personal & family drama ever really "ends", it just sortof fades away as new drama is brought to our attention

Yeah, well when you have a huge Italian family, it comes with some drama, but we also have lots of love and some things that are better left unspoken. ;)

Just ignore this guy people. I plan to. Hes just wants attention. :P

MamaMia
7/1/2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks y'all for the well wishes, and for letting me vent. Thats why I love ya. :)

StoopTroup
7/1/2011, 02:39 PM
Hold on, now what??

Are you guise saying my post was mean-spirited?? wtf

It's OK Pops. She understands. Damn Ripple is powerful stuff.

http://www.5pointstrilogy.com/FredLamont.jpg

Wishboned
7/1/2011, 02:42 PM
I'm so sorry you're having to go through this Mama.

Prayers are going out to you and your family.

MamaMia
7/1/2011, 02:54 PM
I'm so sorry you're having to go through this Mama.

Prayers are going out to you and your family.Ahhh...thanks.

Partial Qualifier
7/1/2011, 03:19 PM

heh, you funny :D Again, sorry about the never-ending crap to deal with in your life recently.

There are some stupid *******s on this board. I don't give enough attention to one sentence and I'm a bad guy. Someone else directly attacks Mama over her issue with the jerkoff's 911 call discrepancies, but I'm the bad guy.

**** off, dip****s :mad:

MamaMia
7/1/2011, 03:23 PM
heh, you funny :D Again, sorry about the never-ending crap to deal with in your life recently.

There are some stupid *******s on this board. I don't give enough attention to one sentence and I'm a bad guy. Someone else directly attacks Mama over her issue with the jerkoff's 911 call discrepancies, but I'm the bad guy.

**** off, dip****s :mad:Thanks for the nice pm and the prayers. :)

MamaMia
7/1/2011, 03:24 PM
Mama, we have been friends for years now. You know you have my prayers.My bubbles are all gone now, and the water is still too hot. :P

soonerboomer93
7/1/2011, 03:34 PM
I hope everything starts turning around Mama

StoopTroup
7/1/2011, 03:49 PM
My bubbles are all gone now, and the water is still too hot. :P

Move the hot tub out of the house to a Place outside and have the Ice plant guys deliver a 300 lb block of ice and slide it in yer tub.

MamaMia
7/1/2011, 06:10 PM
Move the hot tub out of the house to a Place outside and have the Ice plant guys deliver a 300 lb block of ice and slide it in yer tub. Darn! Why didn't I think of that. :hot:

tcrb
7/1/2011, 06:36 PM
Will continue sending you prayers and positive thoughts. It will be a long road for her, but it sounds like things are improving.

Chuck Bao
7/1/2011, 06:46 PM
Mama, you and your daughter are in my thoughts and prayers.

I am praying for a full recovery but realize that it may take time and a lot of encouragement and courage. I like the way you describe your family.

I would have done more than slap the son-in-law in the arm. I would have knocked his teeth out.

SoCal did make a very good point, even though some of his post did seem quite insensitive. CALL 911 FIRST. Give the address and say it is a medical emergency. That shouldn't take very long. Then, attend to the loved one.

I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

MamaMia
7/1/2011, 06:58 PM
Mama, you and your daughter are in my thoughts and prayers.

I am praying for a full recovery but realize that it may take time and a lot of encouragement and courage. I like the way you describe your family.

I would have done more than slap the son-in-law in the arm. I would have knocked his teeth out.

SoCal did make a very good point, even though some of his post did seem quite insensitive. CALL 911 FIRST. Give the address and say it is a medical emergency. That shouldn't take very long. Then, attend to the loved one.

I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
Even children know to call 911 first. The doctor said that its true that 1 in every 7 stroke victims has a second stroke in the next 12 months. My daughter had not one, but two strokes he said because of the fact that the clot in her neck metastasized to her brain, probably when she was moved or dropped. He said thats the clot that caused the most damage.

StoopTroup
7/1/2011, 06:59 PM
Chuck....we are hillbillys here bro....He might have only one tooth left.

StoopTroup
7/1/2011, 07:01 PM
My daughter had not one, but two strokes he said because of the fact that the clot in her neck metastasized to her brain, probably when she was moved or dropped. He said thats the clot that caused the most damage.

That's rough. I have a really good friend has one of those filters due to a clot in his leg. It looks painful as hell. I can't imagine one like that. My heart goes out to you all.....

SunnySooner
7/1/2011, 07:29 PM
Prayers for Mama and her fambly, God bless y'all, and just think, it's almost September. ;)

SoCaliSooner
7/2/2011, 02:00 AM

My point was...and still is...that although people are told to dial 911, even kids, you never know how people are going to react in that situation. I trained EMT's back in the day who had already gone through EMT school, had been on ride-along's, drilled in all kinds of scenarios and still, when they got their first major trauma or MI, or CVA,these EMT's would get spun. It was as if they had forgotten everything they learned.

One of the first thing you lose is your perception of time during an emergency. People have sworn up and down that they called 911 20-30 minutes earlier and start yelling at us on scene for taking so long to arrive. We have the time of call, time of dispatch, time we left the station and time of arrival on scene documented. Often it's under 8 minutes total, yet people still think it took longer. Is it maybe possible this loser doesn't really know if it was 5 minutes...or 10...or 45?

Obviously, based on your description of him, you don't like him and haven't liked him. If he was getting grilled over how and why he handled the situation, it's entirely possible that between getting dissected by family and the fog of the incident, that he's trying to answer in such a way that he doesn't get 20 more questions asked by people with 20/20 hindsight.

I am curious to know whether she had risk factors for this stroke prior to or had issues leading up to this. What kind of stroke was she diagnosed with was it hemorrhagic, intracerebral or did they list it as a subarachnoid hemorrhage?

All I can say is that I've seen people get blamed many times for doing their best. Some guy dies of a heart attack and if his wife dialed 911 right away, the family wants to know why she didn't start CPR first. If she started CPR first, they want to know why she didn't call 911 right away. People gotta blame someone...I guess it's just part of the cycle.