PDA

View Full Version : Draft Signees

IndySooner
6/15/2011, 12:08 PM
Someone requested it, so I copied the list from the other thread and will try to keep this updated as Baseball America does. (I'll be in Omaha for about a week starting Friday, so it may not be updated much then.) Players who have signed in bold.

Oklahoma Players drafted in 2011
9th Rd. - Tyler Ogle (284 overall) - Los Angeles Dodgers
11th Rd. - Cameron Seitzer (360 overall) -Tampa Bay Rays
14th Rd. - Burch Smith (443 overall) - San Diego Padres
14th Rd. - Garrett Buechele (447 overall) - SF Giants
25th Rd. - Ryan Duke (781 overall) - Philadelphia Phillies
26th Rd. - Michael Rocha (811 overall)-Philadelphia Phillies
28th Rd. - Jordan John (850 overall) - Houston Astros
33rd Rd. - Tyson Seng (1002 overall) - New York Mets
39th Rd. - Chris Ellison (1174 overall) - AZ Diamondbacks
41st Rd. - Bobby Shore (1233 overall) -Seattle Mariners
46th Rd. - Elliott Blair (1407 overall) - SF Giants

OU signees in the 2011 draft
1st Rd. - Archie Bradley (7 overall) - Arizona D-Backs
2nd Rd. - Adrian Houser (69 overall) - Houston Astros
5th Rd. - Mason Hope (163 overall) - Florida Marlins
16th Rd. - Carter Blackburn (507 overall) - SF Giants
17th Rd. - Adam Choplick (514 overall) - Ariz. D-Backs
17th Rd. - Hunter Lockwood (525 overall) - LAA Angels
18th Rd. - Nick Lee (547 overall) - Washington Nationals
29th Rd. - Nick Sawyer (894 overall) - Texas Rangers
33rd Rd. - Steven Okert (1001 overall) - Mil. Brewers
43rd Rd. - Ty Washington (1315 overall) - Cincinnati Re

TumbleweedDoom
6/15/2011, 12:49 PM
Choplick has been quoted to say he won't decide until the end of the summer after playing some summer ball.

NMSooner'80
6/15/2011, 01:16 PM
I'm mildly surprised that the graduating seniors aren't signed yet.

IndySooner
6/15/2011, 03:29 PM
Per Twitter, Elliot Blair is in camp, so I highlighted him. Baseball America is only as good as the information they get, so I'll keep updating if we hear of other signings.

TumbleweedDoom
6/15/2011, 04:15 PM
Duke signed. So did Shore. As has Seng.

TumbleweedDoom
6/15/2011, 04:21 PM
The only senior who hasn't signed, from what I've seen now, is Rocha.

IndySooner
6/16/2011, 09:41 AM
nm

perryj
6/16/2011, 04:28 PM
Mason Hope had an interesting tweet today.

"Decisions decisions...#confused"

I have no clue if this is in regards to the MLB draft or any of a number of things that would confuse a teenager but maybe it's a little food for thought.

bcolston15
6/16/2011, 04:49 PM
I've read some accounts that say he'll sign no matter what, but that isn't close to what I've heard. He's asking for a big number the Marlins might not meet.

perryj
6/16/2011, 04:59 PM
I've been told he's going to sign no matter what, from someone I would consider very reliable, because of what happened to his dad at OsU.

bcolston15
6/16/2011, 05:48 PM
I've been told he's going to sign no matter what, from someone I would consider very reliable, because of what happened to his dad at OsU.

If they meet his demands... It's not just a sign no matter how much they offer situation.

Eielson
6/16/2011, 07:14 PM
I heard a rumor that Archie still plans on going to OU. That would be an unbelieveably stupid idea on his part, though.

IndySooner
6/16/2011, 07:25 PM
I heard a rumor that Archie still plans on going to OU. That would be an unbelieveably stupid idea on his part, though.

Gotta be posturing. It wouldn't be the first time someone did it, but I can't imagine it's anything but posturing.

perryj
6/16/2011, 08:21 PM
Archie is in a great spot. Seeing how they didn't sign their #1 pick last year they have to sign Archie this year or they don't get compensation for the unsigned pick next year. I'm not sure he needs much more leverage than that.

bcolston15
6/16/2011, 09:55 PM
Just something to watch: Arizona had three first round picks and a second rounder, they selected pitchers with all four picks. Their first pick in the first round (3rd overall, ahead of Bradley) was Trevor Bauer of UCLA. The other two guys were big time college pitchers.

It might be tough to sign all of them. With Archie demanding a hefty deal maybe he's the one they don't sign?

Before the draft I thought it was 60/40 sign/college, now I think it's 85/15, but we still have a chance for the reasons given above.

perryj
6/17/2011, 07:07 AM
Archie tweeted 30 minutes ago "Arizona bound!" I'm betting his name shows up in bold on baseball america's list shortly.

IndySooner
6/17/2011, 07:41 AM
Archie tweeted 30 minutes ago "Arizona bound!" I'm betting his name shows up in bold on baseball america's list shortly.

Best of luck to him. Can't blame him one bit.

bcolston15
6/17/2011, 12:16 PM

He's just visiting. I'd be shocked if he signed--yet--I don't even think $$$ has been discussed at this point.

northspeter
6/18/2011, 08:21 AM
He's just visiting. I'd be shocked if he signed--yet--I don't even think $$$ has been discussed at this point.

yeah... those top 10-20 guys don't sign till the 11th hour... to maximize there chances at a big bonus....

Eielson
6/19/2011, 01:55 PM
Gotta be posturing. It wouldn't be the first time someone did it, but I can't imagine it's anything but posturing.

I've talked to a few people who know him, and they seem to think he's arrogant enough to do it. I don't know, though.

northspeter
6/19/2011, 04:29 PM
I've talked to a few people who know him, and they seem to think he's arrogant enough to do it. I don't know, though.

he is arrogant enough... however, in this case his arrogance doesnt outweight his intelligence...

bcolston15
6/19/2011, 09:10 PM
Going to college is arrogant, how?

oldtimer
6/19/2011, 10:22 PM
Latest info is that only three Sooners on the '11 list remain unsigned: Ogle, Smith and John. Understand potential 2012 LHP N. Lee is also signed.

IndySooner
6/20/2011, 09:10 AM
Latest info is that only three Sooners on the '11 list remain unsigned: Ogle, Smith and John. Understand potential 2012 LHP N. Lee is also signed.

Neither Lee nor Buechele shows on the Baseball America list yet, but it's typically behind the information people have here. I'll wait on them to see them in bold to bold them here, though, unless someone has a link.

Eielson
6/20/2011, 04:14 PM
Going to college is arrogant, how?

He wouldn't do it to get an education. He'd be doing it to play football.

northspeter
6/20/2011, 04:31 PM

exactly... he thinks he's a good enough QB to play at OU... which, if anyone has seen him play... then you know he's not an OU caliber signal caller...

bcolston15
6/20/2011, 08:49 PM

And?....

OUmillenium
6/21/2011, 08:39 AM
He's more likely to fall out of the back of a pickup truck than to ever take a snap at OU.

Eielson
6/21/2011, 09:19 AM
And?....

First off, because he thinks he can play quarterback at OU while also playing baseball. It's not gonna happen.

Second, he thinks he's so awesome that he can turn down millions of dollars and come back and get it later. Football is a violent sport, and if he does play it, he stands a good chance to get injured. I would think he would know this already considering the fact that he sat out on his team for minor injuries this season. How would you guys like to see our starting quarterback in a few years sit out a few important games because he's protecting his multi-million dollar arm?

perryj
6/21/2011, 10:03 AM
I'm not sure why all the Archie bashing is taking place. The kid is good enough to play QB at OU. You don't get invited to the Elite 11 camp because you aren't OU good. The fact that he had success at that camp proves even more that he can play QB at OU. The fact that he can play QB at OU means there very well could be a multi-million dollar payday in his future for the NFL. So there would be no need to protect his million dollar arm. His million dollar arm as well as his athleticism have him in a very favorable position.

All that said he isn't going to turn down the money the Diamondbacks are going to pay him. The Diamondbacks have to sign him or they won't get compensation for him in next year's draft. Archie has all the leverage in this negotiation. He's going to get paid and have a very successful career in professional baseball.

perryj
6/21/2011, 10:20 AM
You can add Garrett Buechele to the signed list. BA has him listed in bold.

IndySooner
6/21/2011, 10:21 AM
Archie has all the leverage in this negotiation. He's going to get paid and have a very successful career in professional baseball.

And if baseball doesn't work out, he can come back and play football at OU when he's in his mid-20's ala Weinke, etc.

IndySooner
6/21/2011, 10:22 AM
You can add Garrett Buechele to the signed list. BA has him listed in bold.

Did that just as you typed that. Saw his tweet this morning.

Collier11
6/25/2011, 03:53 PM
anyone know what Boosh got?

perryj
6/27/2011, 10:56 AM
How long do we think Ogle, Smith, and John take to decide? I fully expect Ogle to go but what a boost to the team and line-up it would be if he returned. The same goes for Smith. Should Smith and John both return a weekend rotation of Smith, John, and Overton would be VERY formidable and be very attractive to a pitching coach candidate.

mavsfan31
6/27/2011, 11:06 AM
Yeah that's not a bad rotation at all. I would think they aren't in a big hurry to sign but I'm not as knowledgeable about this as others.

TumbleweedDoom
6/27/2011, 01:27 PM
The Dodgers bankruptcy is going to affect Ogle's signing, I bet. I absolutely know zero inside info, but considering the Dodgers drafted other catchers and their (obviously) serious money woes, I can't see them paying above the suggested slotted price, if even that at all.

I'm not saying he doesn't sign -- in fact, I still put it as a better chance that he'll sign than not -- but he's the best chance we have of a drafted junior returning.

IndySooner
6/27/2011, 01:55 PM
Sunny hiring a pitching coach, and a good one, quickly could be the key to this class. If he can get a big name, John and Smith might both be able to be sold on returning. Smith could improve his stock by returning and John isn't ready and was drafted too low, considering he still has leverage next year.

TumbleweedDoom
6/27/2011, 05:08 PM
One thing you can always count on, and this was said by people who DON'T like Sunny, is that he will always, ALWAYS, make top-notch hires. Whether he lets those hirees have enough power or if he ticks them off or other stuff is up for debate, but the one thing I've found UNdebatable even among Sunny-bashers is he's going to get some good people on staff.

IndySooner
6/29/2011, 12:22 PM
Hope is signing.

TumbleweedDoom
6/29/2011, 01:37 PM
Hope is signing.

Not a surprise, I guess, after he said he was pretty much going to do just that after he got drafted that high ... which was a surprise in itself. So no unexpected loss ... at least not unexpected after draft day.

The key remains to keep those guys drafted in the double-digit rounds coming to OU. I know Choplick said he would decide after summer ball finishes up, but I haven't heard anything definitive from any of the others, just rumors.

perryj
6/30/2011, 09:40 AM
FWIW There is a guy on OUInsider, oujon, claiming that Jordan John will be back at OU.

IndySooner
6/30/2011, 10:26 AM
FWIW There is a guy on OUInsider, oujon, claiming that Jordan John will be back at OU.

I would have been surprised if he wasn't. He had one bad outing in the Cape but seems to have been very good other than that.

Interestingly, Gibson hasn't given up a run yet in three outings in the league. Looking through some of the stats, our guys are doing well up there.

And then you look at the hitting stats and it's a completely different story.....both White and Harrison below .200. Mayfield at .244.

Gaius_Longinus
6/30/2011, 10:55 AM
I would have been surprised if he wasn't. He had one bad outing in the Cape but seems to have been very good other than that.

Interestingly, Gibson hasn't given up a run yet in three outings in the league. Looking through some of the stats, our guys are doing well up there.

And then you look at the hitting stats and it's a completely different story.....both White and Harrison below .200. Mayfield at .244.

Harrison would strike out if he used a dolphin for a bat. Need to work with him on the mound if you ask me.

bcolston15
6/30/2011, 05:31 PM
Still hearing that Ogle will be back...

Also, Burch Smith signing isn't a foregone conclusion.

I think there's going to be a lot of turnover in the bullpen and midweek roles. Lots of guys coming, going and signing.

hvhurricane
6/30/2011, 05:46 PM
One thing you can always count on, and this was said by people who DON'T like Sunny, is that he will always, ALWAYS, make top-notch hires. Whether he lets those hirees have enough power or if he ticks them off or other stuff is up for debate, but the one thing I've found UNdebatable even among Sunny-bashers is he's going to get some good people on staff.

I think SG makes good hires most of the time. FC was a great guy. I don't think he was a great college pitching coach, though. And I think the demise of FC made SG feel like he had to have complete control of the pitching situation, which isn't the optimal plan, IMO. The only thing I can say for certain about Bell is that he was a better teacher than FC. I am not sure how well he will do at FSU because he really wasn't given total control here.

Is FC still at Memphis? Interestingly enough, I think his philosophy would be much improved given the bat changes. He wants his guys to wear out the inside of the plate and pitch to contact. You can get away with that now because you are not going to be penalized as much for a missed spot. When he was at OU, our guys couldn't control their spots as much and we all saw the results.

bcolston15
7/2/2011, 10:16 PM
Clayton Blackburn signed.

IndySooner
7/3/2011, 09:30 AM
FYI, Texas is going to have 100% turnover in its weekend rotation. Stafford and Green have signed and there's no way Jungmann stays.

perryj
7/14/2011, 08:32 AM
I think we've all assumed Burch Smith is gone but he still hasn't signed yet according to Baseball America. What a huge addition he would be should he decide to come back.

IndySooner
7/14/2011, 08:44 AM
I think we've all assumed Burch Smith is gone but he still hasn't signed yet according to Baseball America. What a huge addition he would be should he decide to come back.

I've heard he's 50/50 at this point. You're right, that would be absolutely HUGE.

perryj
7/14/2011, 08:55 AM
Hopefully he was one of Tadlock's guys.

bcolston15
7/14/2011, 09:31 PM
Ogle is headed out to LA soon to negotiate with the Dodgers. If he doesn't sign then he probably won't.

rysooner
7/15/2011, 11:44 AM
Ogle is headed out to LA soon to negotiate with the Dodgers. If he doesn't sign then he probably won't.

Definantly hoping for won't

IndySooner
7/15/2011, 02:36 PM
Can't think that the fact that he's headed out to LA is a good sign. I guess we'll see.

hvhurricane
7/25/2011, 07:50 PM
Any word on his meeting in LA?

perryj
7/26/2011, 08:13 AM
As of yesterday he didn't appear on the signed list on baseball america.

perryj
7/31/2011, 03:03 PM
With today being the last day of July the next 15 days are going to be some interesting and anxious ones. Lots of big names still not signed that could be major factors next year for the Sooner 9.

Ruf/Nek7
8/1/2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks for these updates. With how upsetting this last season was, I really hope to see most guys come back to prove last year was a fluke

perryj
8/1/2011, 04:38 PM
Maybe I'm reading too much into this tweet but the following is from Tyler Ogle.

"@TysonSeng15 miss you locker buddy. hope you're doin well. golf when you get back"

My thought process here is that Tyler plans on being in Norman/Oklahoma, where he isn't originally from, when Tyson Seng gets back from playing ball this summer. Now I know this could mean he would be coming back to Norman to spend time with Carlee after he was done playing as well but hey then that wouldn't be positive would it?

NMSooner'80
8/3/2011, 01:26 PM
BTW, if Archie Bradley doesn't sign with the Diamondbacks, does he get to play baseball and football at OU, or just baseball? Specifically, did he sign a contract with an agent? I would assume he did, and that I guess would make him ineligible for OU baseball.

bcolston15
8/3/2011, 01:48 PM
Archie is still thinking hard about going to school. Those of you who think all the, "Can't wait to get to Norman" stuff is simply posturing for a better deal are out in left field.

He thinks he can be the starting QB at OU by his junior season. By that time, assuming he takes care of business on the diamond, he'll be a top five pick with the leverage of being the starting QB on a national championship caliber college football team.

perryj
8/4/2011, 09:01 AM
To top it all off Archie had a very interesting tweet yesterday.

"Wish the #NCAA would hurry up...I gotta get down to Norman!"

Gaius_Longinus
8/4/2011, 10:02 AM
To top it all off Archie had a very interesting tweet yesterday.

"Wish the #NCAA would hurry up...I gotta get down to Norman!"

Saw that this morning. Also saw this on there: @SportsCenter : @RyanBurrESPN 37 straight days over 100degF in Okla. Good luck with practice @UofOkla -- Watch out! @ArchieBradley7 at OU!

perryj
8/4/2011, 10:20 AM
There's also a story in the TW quoting Bradley as saying he's trying to get cleared by the NCAA to start practicing football.

I'm sure it's just leveraging with the D'backs but what a coup it would be if he ended up on campus. Can you imagine a weekend rotation, in no particular order, of Bradley, Smith, and John?

IndySooner
8/4/2011, 10:41 AM
I'm surprised the transcript thing hadn't been taken care of months ago. Does that signal that he wasn't expecting this, but now he's ready to come to school? Happy thoughts!

Gaius_Longinus
8/4/2011, 11:08 AM
I'm surprised the transcript thing hadn't been taken care of months ago. Does that signal that he wasn't expecting this, but now he's ready to come to school? Happy thoughts!

http://newsok.com/broken-arrow-quarterback-ou-signee-archie-bradley-absent-from-ou-practice/article/3591578?custom_click=headlines_widget

bufsa
8/4/2011, 02:11 PM
"he'll be a top five pick with the leverage of being the starting QB" Why? Is there really a difference between #7 and lets say #4?

northspeter
8/4/2011, 05:12 PM
Archie is still thinking hard about going to school. Those of you who think all the, "Can't wait to get to Norman" stuff is simply posturing for a better deal are out in left field.

He thinks he can be the starting QB at OU by his junior season. By that time, assuming he takes care of business on the diamond, he'll be a top five pick with the leverage of being the starting QB on a national championship caliber college football team.

im sorry, im a big archie bradley fan(the pitcher) but having seen him on several occasions play qb... the only way he would be a starting qb at OU is if he were to become a football only guy... he can't do both and be the starter at OU... he shouldn't have been the starter at BA last year... and there almost no difference from being the number 7 pick out of highschool and number 5 out of college...

perryj
8/8/2011, 08:54 AM
There's only one week left and there still hasn't been anyone else sign. I know most of the action will probably take place in the last few hours before the deadline but we're getting closer to knowing who will be back next year.

I did have one High School coach tell me that he thought if Archie Bradley didn't get a deal done before the deadline he would probably end up at Eastern with Dylan Bundy. The same guy couldn't tell me who was replacing AT though so take it FWIW.

IndySooner
8/8/2011, 08:55 AM
There's only one week left and there still hasn't been anyone else sign. I know most of the action will probably take place in the last few hours before the deadline but we're getting closer to knowing who will be back next year.

I did have one High School coach tell me that he thought if Archie Bradley didn't get a deal done before the deadline he would probably end up at Eastern with Dylan Bundy. The same guy couldn't tell me who was replacing AT though so take it FWIW.

Haven't heard that about Archie. Also haven't heard anything since last week, so....?

rysooner
8/8/2011, 10:35 AM
Guess there is nothing left to do, but..... :pop:

IndySooner
8/8/2011, 12:27 PM
New guy bolded on the first page. No details yet, though.

IndySooner
8/9/2011, 08:50 AM
And yet another. I guess our hopes for keeping Burch and Ogle were pipe dreams.

rysooner
8/9/2011, 10:28 AM
And yet another. I guess our hopes for keeping Burch and Ogle were pipe dreams.

That.....is.....not.....good.....at.....all

IndySooner
8/9/2011, 10:40 AM
That.....is.....not.....good.....at.....all

Nope. Now we're looking at rebuilding instead of reloading.

rysooner
8/9/2011, 12:57 PM
Just hoping we don't lose any other guys.

Sooner11JK
8/15/2011, 08:08 AM
Saw tweet from everyone's favorite, Kendall, that Ty Washington signed.

perryj
8/15/2011, 08:22 AM
Saw tweet from everyone's favorite, Kendall, that Ty Washington signed.

Sunny warned us that he would be a tough one to get to campus.

Less than 24 hours left until the deadline. It'll be interesting to see how things shake out.

rysooner
8/15/2011, 10:34 AM
Sunny warned us that he would be a tough one to get to campus.Less than 24 hours left until the deadline. It'll be interesting to see how things shake out.

Also a guy that Sunny said we really need to get to school.

IndySooner
8/15/2011, 11:05 PM
Bradley signed. So did Bundy. Both at the last minute. The signing deadline was crazy this year. 23 1st rounders went to the last hour.

northspeter
8/15/2011, 11:19 PM
bubba starling also signed at the end..

rysooner
8/16/2011, 10:09 AM
Not really good results for us from this years draft. Lost 6 of 10 recruits and two returning guys we didn't need to lose at all. Of course, didn't expect to get all the recruits on campus, but we did lose three that I had hope we might get.

Anyone know Ty Washington's story? Why would a 43rd round pick guy be hard to get to school?

bcolston15
8/16/2011, 05:05 PM
Not really good results for us from this years draft. Lost 6 of 10 recruits and two returning guys we didn't need to lose at all. Of course, didn't expect to get all the recruits on campus, but we did lose three that I had hope we might get.

Anyone know Ty Washington's story? Why would a 43rd round pick guy be hard to get to school?

He was double signed with San Jacinto, OU was never in his plans.

I saw that his bonus was $300,000. That's amazing for a 43rd round pick.

TumbleweedDoom
8/16/2011, 05:31 PM

Meh. I may be showing my sportswriter roots here, but until I see a historical comparison of recruiting classes and the amount that don't make it on campus, as an average, then I can't get too depressed about this outcome.

Also, I don't have any statistical evidence here, but it seems we signed more guys that were drafted higher than ever before. If that's the case, then that would have to be figured into the final results of who went pro and who didn't. If you sign a bunch of guys drafted after the 30th round, then obviously the percentage of guys you get on campus is going to be higher than if you did like OU this year and have a bevy of guys signed who were drafted BEFORE the 20th round.

Anyhoo, basically I don't think any conclusions can be reached on this one way or another. Obviously, we would have LIKED to get those guys on campus, but maybe we look at it in that we got a few of those guys on campus and now we can fill in the remaining spots with other last-second recruits now -- guys that we could have easily signed last year and then managed to keep after this draft and everyone would have been doing backflips on "how many guys we're going to get on campus from this recruiting class."

rysooner
8/17/2011, 10:10 AM
He was double signed with San Jacinto, OU was never in his plans.

I saw that his bonus was $300,000. That's amazing for a 43rd round pick.

I [I]really[I] dislike the double signing. Guess that signing bonus explains why Sunny wanted to get him on campus so bad. Am I wrong, or does next year begin the slot money rules so that kind of thing will stop?

oldtimer
8/18/2011, 08:23 PM
Has anyone heard who SG and Tadlock has found to fill the missing holes in the Sooner roster? I sure hope they've been busy out scouting this summer. Contrary to likes of Mr. Tumbleweed and colston, 10 weeks ago (6/9/11) I highlighted what I thought to be the expected results of the mlb draft on our 2011 squad. Saying we'd lose 6 of the new recruits, that too was slapped with skepticism:

4 of the 5 starting infield is gone. My prediction is Ogle, Buechele, Seitzer will sign, and Ellis graduated. '10 Starting Pitching staff reduced by 50% with Burch signing and others graduating. Ellison sounds like he's gone as well and some won't be invited back. That's makes at least 15 players to be replaced or about 80% of the starters.

The power hitters remaining White, Stitch, and Reine provided 9 of the team's 41 bombs in 2011 (22%). That's what I meant about the "offensive cupboard being bare". Can't predict outcomes from players not on campus.

Another prediction - half of Tadlock's 12 HS recruits will sign. That's why his summer won't be much of a vacation while he searches for non-commited JUCO and HS players to fill these voids, particularly RH pitching.

Although that info was hard for some to accept. Others like hvhurricane and myself said - yes, talented Juniors are expected to leave, but others will leave growing tired of the drama. Heck, even our beloved sportscaster, Chuck Kelly has departed indicating he too may have tired of working with SG. And please don't starting throwing the SG hate-tag around. I'm not a SG hater, as a fan I do however, hold the Sooner head coach accountable. The results are what they are. The summer aftermath has the 2011 roster of 35 dropping to 18-20 with a handful of players not invited back. That leaves openings for about 15-18 or a 50% turn-over.

Still preaching we need a lot of RH pitching and some battle tested players to be competitive in the Big 12 next year. Haven't heard nor seen much from SG to raise my spirit. Whether we like it or not, Sooners will be re-building, not re-loading. It would be realy great to see some players picked up out of places other than Weatherford and Howard for a change. I think our coaches should extend their arms a little further to baseball rich places like Houston, Corpus Christi, SA, and even over to Louisiana, Georgia, and FL. Takes work, but possible.

Time for a new thread, Mr. Indy - maybe something like: "Journey to 2012" ... looking for the who, what, and why of new players coming to campus.

northspeter
8/18/2011, 09:48 PM
that's it... we should quit baseball...

perryj
8/22/2011, 08:06 AM
There will probably be an official release from the University this week with the newcomers listed and there will be a couple of names on there that should be a very pleasant surprise.

TumbleweedDoom
8/22/2011, 08:48 AM
Oldtimer's post has absolutely hit the pinnacle of dumbbass. I'm sorry for such harsh language, but that's the most idiotic post I ever read. Even the other SG haters at least bring SOMETHING to the table ... oldtimer just brings dumb. He absolutely has zero insight on how things work and then comes on here to pat himself on the back for something that everyone else agreed could possible happen ... but weren't too overly concerned because it's the nature of the sport ... something he obviously doesn't and can't understand. Then he makes other idiotic statements that anyone in the know absolutely understands are FACTUALLY NOT TRUE.

OMG. I could go on and on. But seriously, oldtimer has just won the "Stupidest Post in Soonerfans History." Which puts him in the running for stupidest post in the world.

IndySooner
8/22/2011, 10:24 AM
Here's what I know (or what I'm pretty sure I know in a couple of cases) in response to Oldtimer's post:

1. When Ogle got drafted in the 9th round, it sealed the deal for him. Was he fed up with the drama? Probably. Anyone would have been. That said, it wasn't a done deal until he got drafted so high.

2. Burch wanted to go pro. Bottom line.

3. Seitzer and Buechele were gone. Foregone conclusion.

4. Ellison was getting passed up on the roster.

5. Our signing class was a better class than we've had in years. We were bound to lose a few of them.

THAT SAID........

1. I have confirmed that the coaches had a plan and are working the plan. There are guys coming in that will make people smile for sure. One that is a GREAT get that I have confirmed from two good sources, but one doesn't want me to let the name out, so I'll honor that wish.

2. College baseball has always had a ton of turnover. It will be dampened a bit by the transfer rules, but there will still always be a lot of turnover when you're talking about partial scholarships and walk-ons. That's the bottom line.

3. This program is still moving in the right direction. Will it stay that way? Who knows. It's moving the right direction, though.

We return Overton and John in the rotation. That's a solid foundation. We have to replace Ogle, Seitzer and Buechele in the lineup. That's tough. We'll be solid on the mound this year, it will just be a matter of whether we can score runs.

TumbleweedDoom
8/22/2011, 10:55 AM
Good post Indy -- I'm surprised you managed to use the energy to response to oldtimer.

On your points, just to reiterate:

1. The fact Ogle wavered until freaking August surprised me. When a guy gets drafted in the single-digit rounds after his junior year, I'd say about 99 percent of them sign pretty quickly. The fact Ogle was even considering coming back shows there isn't as much drama running around our programs as the haters want to lead us to believe.

2. We were lucky to get Burch on campus LAST YEAR, must less keep him around again. And the fact he waited so long to sign ... well, see my above statement about Ogle.

3. Seitzer and Buechele WERE absolutely long gone ... anyone who thought different was an idiot.

4. I'm not so sure about your theory on this one Indy, as I think Ellison absolutely starts next season. But, from my understanding, he got a buffo signing bonus for being in such a late round and, considering he wouldn't have leverage next year as a senior, then whammo, he's gone and understandably so.

5. Thank you Indy -- now will someone grab a mallet and beat oldtimer on the head with this statement???!!! We had one of the best signing classes ever just judging by where they were drafted ... so OBVIOUSLY we're going to lose more than we usually do. We usually sign guys taken in the 25th and higher range. The fact we had so many drafted this year earlier than the 20th round says to me this program is trying to take the next step. Of course, oldtimer just fell asleep halfway through this post ... someone put a mirror under his nose and make sure he's alive.

And for your last few points, I've heard the same thing about good late signees coming in. THAT'S WHAT A GOOD PROGRAM DOES. It's Tadlock's job -- I'm not going to cry crocodile tears because Tadlock actually had to go sign a few guys late here. For some reason, oldtimer is worried about Tadlock working too hard. I guess he's among the same people who absolutely guaranteed me OVER AND OVER Tadlock would be gone by this time of the year.

Our big question is pitching rotation: we lost every weekend starter. But there's a lot of talent there. And, if I remember correctly, the last time we lost every weekend starter ... well, that was right before the 2010 season. You know ... where we ended up in the CWS?.

bcolston15
8/22/2011, 11:32 AM
As usual, Indy is right on. I think people will be very happy about some of the late signees we picked up. Actually, I think some of the guys we lost were replaced with better prospects. Hiring Aric Thomas is already paying off, in more ways than one.

The pitching staff looks to be very strong going into the fall...

TumbleweedDoom
8/22/2011, 11:46 AM
Overton and John are always mentioned as the key returnees on the pitching staff, and rightfully so. But I really like the Steven Bruce kid. I also like the way Kindle Ladd progressed during the season: he took his lumps early, then didn't play for a long time to get straightened out, and looked really good when he returned to some regular action later in the year. It's kids like that to keep an eye on long-term as they tend to only get better and better.

oldtimer
8/22/2011, 07:01 PM
1st a reply to Tumbleweed. I played and been around the game of college baseball long before you started to wear pants. Your replies to my posts are nothing more than juvenile facebook rants. You're so quick to call me a dumbass, but offer absolutely no meaningful comments to support your case. Every sentence in my posting had forethought. Which part was incorrect or dumb? Was 18 of 35 players not returning not a 50% turnover, is Chuck Kelly still around, is 80% of our starters from last year not gone? Is OU not returning only 3 extra base hitters with more than 50 ABs? I tried to avoid speculating Why draftees would leave, I offered only a bottomline expectation. hvhurricane did provide some insightful opinions on others not returning. Back on 6/9, you called my post the "dumbest of all year" as if to maybe sound intelligent. You, Indy, or colston had an opportunity to say who you thought would go or return and why. Instead you sat on your *** and offered no meaningful input - only to call me names or a SG hater. I said OK - father time will prove who's dumb. You really should take some advice and understand the definition of words you misuse so routinely. Doing so - by Webster definition - is an expression of ignorance. Unlike yourself, most of here don't want to read your ramblings.

2nd a reply to Indy. I began my last post with a open request for info on late recruits filling the large holes in the OU roster. Your reply seemed to be an attempt to justify WHY each player didn't return (10 weeks later), as to offer some speculative insight. Heaven forbid, someone else had a guess in June... I had to smile about your comments about Ogle and Smith. Only 4 weeks ago, you were adamant about them not being signed yet. Maybe it's that past sports writer in you telling others you shouldn't write something if it hasn't already happened... Suppose it's easier to be correct that way. Your recent post above however, gives one the impression you really believed Ogle and Smith would be gone. Where was that conviction back in June? Still confused why new recruit info can't be reported. It's not like in a week, their names won't show up on campus. Unlike weedofdoom, your posts do sometimes provide some timely info.

As far Ogle signing late, some members here failed to recall the uniqueness surrounding who drafted him. The Dodgers suspended new negotiations with their '11 draftees in late June when McCourt filed for bankruptcy. They signed what was in the pipeline, but Ogle couldn't have signed in July even if he had wanted to. It took a month for the courts, MLB, and McCourt lawyers to let the dust settle. Dodgers resumed negotiations with '11 draftees in early August. See, old guys can pay attention.

I expressed concern of where OU recruits may be found this late in the process. Finding quality baseball players not already committed elsewhere in July is difficult at best. I wasn't concerned about Tadlock working harder. My concern was him or the new coach taking an easy "drag the JUCO pond" path and limiting that search to Weatherford and Howard. Still interested in seeing info about new recruits. Wasn't interested in reading facebook rants.

bcolston15
8/22/2011, 08:06 PM
I'll be the first to admit I truly believed Ogle would be back, and, that the drama in the clubhouse at the end of last season contributed to him not returning. With that said, no one else was expected to be back. (Unless you count Ellison)

Going into SG's 7th full season, if you don't know how it works by now, or continue to complain about it why it works like it does, you're clueless. Most of the players don't like him. Some of the parents don't either. Big deal. He wins, and he always will, so get used to him.

And please, stop acting like we won't have talent. We've got some late signings that will turn heads. A 13th round pick of the Yankees, a solid Texas prep arm and a couple more impressive guys.

northspeter
8/22/2011, 08:06 PM
maybe you weren't interested in reading others... but you damn sure like posting some of your own... it's a whole lot of drivel... as the oldtimer that you are, you should know damn well about baseball turnover year after year... it's a staple of the college game... you keep making obvious observations like (we'll have lots of turnover...) you're gonna need a rotator cuff surgery pronto, from all the patting of you're own back... we've got good coaches, and they bring in good players every year... i suspect we'll keep playing ball and winning this next season too...

IndySooner
8/22/2011, 09:32 PM
I thought Ogle would be back. Really thought the female thing would keep him here. I now have heard that he knew he was gone in June. No one else was a surprise.

I am not saying the recruits names because I promised I wouldn't. It is as simple as that.

TumbleweedDoom
8/22/2011, 10:38 PM
The posts keep getting dumber and dumber. Oldtimer obviously played in the leather helmet or actual peach basket days of baseball because his understanding of the game is circumspect at best.

TheresOnlyOne
8/23/2011, 03:45 PM
What was the drama with Ogle? And why do the players not like Sunny?

takingastand
8/24/2011, 07:04 PM
Love how when ANYTHING is said that you disagree with you attack the person instead of just using facts to state your case. Then again, most of your attacks on oldtimer aren't backed with facts... just opinions. If anyone expresses anything other then blind love and adoration for SG they are a hater or a dumb***?

TumbleweedDoom
8/25/2011, 12:02 PM
Love how when ANYTHING is said that you disagree with you attack the person instead of just using facts to state your case. Then again, most of your attacks on oldtimer aren't backed with facts... just opinions. If anyone expresses anything other then blind love and adoration for SG they are a hater or a dumb***?

I like to think they're a dumbass. It's more poetic.

bufsa
8/25/2011, 10:59 PM
He is always like this and people wonder why more people don't bother to get on here and talk about baseball. Nothing will change he will always act like he and he alone can say anything. I knew several of the players so I knew first hand how he doesn't have a clue but since my info came from the players I had to bite my tongue. OU will always do well because kids want to come to OU. But each year more and more look for an alternitive because of sg. They will always have the talent to be competitive because they are OU but they will never again win it all because of sg. The cream of the crop doesn't have to put up with him. Some of the players you are talking about loved OU and wanted to come back but in the end it just wasn't worth it. Now you can get on here and call me anything you want but I wont see it because I am not logging in again.

TumbleweedDoom
8/26/2011, 08:42 AM
We're surely going to miss your misspellings, grammar foibles and uppercase/lowercase adventures in your posts.

perryj
8/26/2011, 09:17 AM
I keep hearing the argument that because of SG we won't win again. The problem with that argument is that the best years of OU baseball in the last 30 all involved SG, including every trip to Omaha in that same time span.

SG has won every where he has been. Some may not like him or his style but he produces results and as far as we know runs a clean program. In this day and age of college athletics that's about as good as anyone can hope for.

TumbleweedDoom
8/26/2011, 10:30 AM
I keep hearing the argument that because of SG we won't win again. The problem with that argument is that the best years of OU baseball in the last 30 all involved SG, including every trip to Omaha in that same time span.

SG has won every where he has been. Some may not like him or his style but he produces results and as far as we know runs a clean program. In this day and age of college athletics that's about as good as anyone can hope for.

Good post perryj. The problem is that everyone that hates sg seems to have an axe to grind because they have or had a relative on the team or something. The others say illogical things like, "The cream of the crop doesn't have to put up with him" like bufsa just said. Well, we just had our best signing class since the early Cochell years, so it sure seems like SOMEONE is putting up with him. They scream and bellow at me because I supposedly don't make logical arguments and instead just flame away at them, but the thing is I'm TIRED of making logical arguments on SG's behalf: I've been doing it for about four years now and nobody listens and just believes what they want to believe. So now I just flame away -- it's better for my blood pressure.

perryj
8/26/2011, 10:43 AM
As far as I'm concerned they can take that ax and shove it up their ***!

TumbleweedDoom
8/26/2011, 03:29 PM
It really comes down to this: there are a lot of parents and relatives a wee bit little too involved in junior's athletic career with the OU baseball team and trying to live vicariously through them. When junior has a rough time because of some issue or another that OBVIOUSLY CAN'T BE THEIR FAULT AT ALL, it's automatically SG's fault and then we all get to hear about it on the board how SG is playing the big, bad bully on their 20-year old son/nephew/cousin who's a freakin' saint and serves dinner to the homeless when he's not practicing, and says all his prayers at night, etc. (isn't that right, takingastand?).

But, at least, you can see where they come from, however stupidly misguided and ignorant they may be. Then you have the ones that try to say SG is having poor signing classes and ruining his teams and yada-yada-yada, when last I checked, we went to the CWS last year and have won 40-plus games three seasons straight. They don't even HAVE a logical argument. They really make me pull out their hair as they pretty much ignore any good insight I give them (isn't that right, oldtimer?). So, therefore, I flame away at the morons and save my breath for the non-SG crowd that DOES brings something to the table, like HVHurricane and others.

takingastand
8/26/2011, 05:12 PM
Seriously, you think I had a son/nephew/cousin on the team? Now, that is too funny! I have never had a relative on the team, but know several past and present players....and some VERY well. I knew for a fact some of those you ASSUMED or HOPED would be back would not....regardless if there was "a girl". I knew about transfers before being posted here. I am sure many on this board have personal connections of some sort to the team, so my viewpoint of the coaching tactics should come to no surprise, but there are always TWO sides to every story. IMO, the drama with SG peaked last year...I had included specific examples that I had heard from some of the players, but decided it was best to not include. There was so much "drama" last year that was instigated by the coach that definitely had an impact on the playing performance. I am NOT a SG hater, but know that if he would reevaluate some of his strategies it could only improve the program. I think we can all agree that this team does have a lot going for it and are proud of the past accomplishments, BUT when a team has so much talent it surpasses preseason projections and makes it the CWS only to have those same players literally drop the ball the following season you have to begin to evaluate what changes need to be made. The last game of the season was frustrating to watch. Players who we had seen display great talent looked ridiculous. Why? How does that happen? I know it's not ALL coaching, but it did play a huge role.

As far as bashing others for spelling or grammar, really? Is that necessary? When posting quickly or while multi-tasking we are all prone to mistakes. Can you not dispute an opinion or statement without a personal attack or name calling? I was always taught it took more intelligence to debate then to attack. We all see that there is a group of 4-5 on here that get so defensive and rude when an opinion is expressed that they don't agree with. I do wonder what the personal connection these people must have with SG since any negative comments about him bring out the firing squad.

oldtimer
8/27/2011, 02:38 AM
Tweedleweedofdoom - what flavor of kool-aid did you have to drink today to think anything you offer lately on this Message board would constitute “as good insight”? Your postings have zero value. Your rants fail to discuss the topic, and rely on name calling. Good baseball writers use facts and statistics to provide "insight" and you don’t exhibit the mental capacity to use those tools. Professing yourself as something close to a sports writer who grasps a vocabulary is a blatant insult to those that work at it.

Any time an OU baseball fan cried out as a result of last year’s implosion, or the unexpected rash of undrafted players leaving, you beat that tired SG hater drum. To read comments from takingastand and hvhurricane that mimic the same player issues I too have heard from others close to the program, it helps many of us understand the end result. Good contributors to this Board, like Pragmatic went away because of dealing with juvenile thought-less postings like yours. There is a group of Sooner fans, unlike you, who played baseball past high school and can offer opinions with forethought. We need more. Mr. Indy deserves a big Thank you for taking a suggestion to start this thread and helping thousands of fans enjoy it throughout the summer. Now it’s time to focus how the new team can pull itself into a cohesive unit.

IndySooner
8/27/2011, 03:09 PM
Old-timer, here is the problem. First of all, I played baseball beyond high school and played for a coach that was 10x worse than Sunny will ever be. I don't know Sunny, nor do I have any relationship with any of the players, though I do talk to quite a few parents quite often.

I also heard about the strife and transfers, most before they came out publicly. I agree that it was a bad year for drama.

All of this said, all I care about in the long run is the names on the front of the jersey. The baseball program is stronger today than it has been in over a decade. Negativity by fans does nothing good for the program. Privately, I have been very critical of this team and the way they, both the players and the coaches, handled themselves this year. There is absolutely no reason to be publicly negative if you are truly a fan of the program.

By the way I know for a fact that TD was one of the few that didn't buy the hype from the beginning last year. He kept a level of expectation that, in hindsight, we all should have.

TumbleweedDoom
8/27/2011, 07:41 PM
I'm on here constantly giving good analysis and debate. The problem is, the two fellows attacking me are only on here when things go bad and aren't privy to my more interesting additions to this board. Therefore, I feel they are not worthy of my serious discussion.

But being an enlightened liberal, I'm always up for giving second chances. From this point on, I'll not judge any of you two guy's back posts and will, instead, base my feelings on your posts going forward. I offer my apologies and hope you will do the same.

TumbleweedDoom
8/27/2011, 07:53 PM
Oh, and I forgot - I'm more pretty than those two guys are, too.

Crap, sorry, hard to turn over a new leaf immediately. ;)

takingastand
8/28/2011, 02:38 PM
Here are the flaws of those statements: 1. There have many others that have expressed opinions different then yours (more then two). Some sadly, have decided not to post any longer because of the attacks. I, however, have never been one that allows a bully to keep me from my rights. Freedom of speech and opinions being two of those rights. 2. I have never posted any personal attacks towards anyone that has expressed his opinion in this forum. 3. I hope you are prettier because that may be all you have going for you....oops, that may have been considered my first personal attack. Guess it's time for me to turn over a new leaf, too.

Indy, I would disagree that the program is stronger then it has been in over a decade. I HOPE you are right, but that won't be confirmed until we see what this season brings. Could be that the high turnover will be a good thing....I know that sometimes BIG change is good. Time will tell. I also disagree about public negativity means I may not truly be a fan. I bit my tongue for a VERY long time before speaking out. I only chose to begin speaking out when SG began his public negativity regarding certain players and a "dysfunctional family". If the coach were just a "tough coach", but it was evident he was truly doing what was best for the program I could show my support for him. It's my OPINION, that his negativity peaked last year and I chose to speak out against that. I hope that this year we will see not only changes in the team, but also the coaching because I TRULY am a fan. No matter my opinion of SG I do continue to attend games, support the team, and display my pride in being a Sooner fan. Just like if I disagreed with government officials I would speak out, but still support my country and be proud to be an American where I have the freedom to EXPRESS my opinions.

bcolston15
8/28/2011, 02:56 PM
Three straight 40 win seasons, a CWS apperance, two super regionals and a slew of regional final apperances. It's difficult to argue with the results.

takingastand
8/28/2011, 03:06 PM
I would say the fizzle at the end of last season was not a sign of success. I have stated OFTEN that we do have past successes....I know the stats. But, what happened last year MUST be fixed. When you have talented players literally "give up" and play like they are just ready for the season to be over it's time to figure out what went wrong so it can be fixed. It's difficult to argue with eye witness accounts of something being terribly wrong...did you watch the last game? This summer brought a high turn-over of players and I HOPE that the impact will be positive. I also HOPE the coach will evaluate his techniques...keep what worked and change what didn't.

TumbleweedDoom
8/28/2011, 06:41 PM
The fizzle at the end of last season was disturbing, but isn't it overly negative to focus on that when the amount of positives displayed by the program in the last three years are far more numerous?

That's what bothers me - for every negative thrown out about SGs regime, I can counter with at least two positives. A person mentions last Year's fizzle and I'll point out 40 wins coming off of a CWS berth.

It just reeks of a personality conflict or having an axe to grind to constantly harp on the negatives right now.

perryj
8/29/2011, 08:50 AM
If you can't see that this program is stronger than it has been in quite some time you're never going to see it because you don't want to. Just look at the results, even last year's. A disappointing year is now a regional final and 40+ wins.

Some of you need to stop looking at the names on the back of the uniform and start concentrating on the name on the front. It'll bring you a lot more joy while watching what is a great time in Sooner baseball. If you can't do that I would suggest you look for another team to "support."

TumbleweedDoom
8/29/2011, 11:10 AM
Think of it this way - in the last 9 years of Cochell's reign, OU won 7 NCAA tourney games. In SG's 7 years, OU has won 16.

takingastand
8/30/2011, 05:59 AM
So, what I am hearing you say, Perryj and TumbleweedDoom, is to keep doing what we've been doing? No changes are needed? We are negative or not supportive of a team if we would only like to see it even better? Our expectations of a team that returned players that took them to the CWS was just too high last year? We should just be proud of last year's results, think of the wins and totally forget about games such as the last one? It was OK for the you to judge and blame players last year, but we are horrible, negative, and not a true fan if we think it was more then just the players? We are dumb***** because we believe with some changes in coaching strategies last year could have been better....and SHOULD have? I have attended games and cheered for the team during its highs and lows. I wasn't raised to "settle" and hope the program would seek to only improve this year and every year. Once AGAIN, yes we all know the stats and realize there have been successes, no one has disagreed, yet it's like a broken record and you keep retelling us. Got it...and even agreed. Let's move on....Would love to see many more successes to come. Perhaps this high turnover will bring a new attitude within the team and perhaps coaching techiniques that didn't work last season will be changed.

perryj
8/30/2011, 08:29 AM
Takingastand my problem with guys like you and oldtimer are that when things are going well we hardly ever hear from you but at the first sign of failure you're like sharks who sense blood in the water. Indy complains about Sunny's strategy all the time as does hvhurricane. The thing is they are supportive of the program and are here all the time time win or lose.

None of us have said or think that Sunny Golloway is perfect but it is damn hard to argue with the results he's put up. Last season was a disappointment to us all. That tells us how far this program has come that 40+ wins and regional appearance are a disappointment.

As for who to blame, there is plenty of that to go around. Sunny has admitted he and his staff could have done a better job. The players could have as well. I'm not so sure what strategies need to be changed when you can't get a guy in from 3rd with less than 2 outs.

If you've truly been in the stands at LDM and cheered during the highs and lows you know that the results being produced by this coaching staff are as good as any that the program has seen in quite some time. No one is settling here. We all want to see improvement in the program and have or at least those of us that care to look at the situation objectively without a personal bias.

I've said it before, I think on this message board, I don't care if the head coach of the OU baseball program is a guy I want to go have a beer with or not. As long as he wins games and runs as clean a program as possible he'll have my support. To me, and most others on this board and in the stands at LDM, the name on the front of the jersey means a lot more than the name on the back.

TumbleweedDoom
8/30/2011, 08:44 AM
You can tell they're only here when things go bad because they continuously describe me as a sunshine pumper and an SG lover. Everyone who's here regularly knows that's absolutely not true as, for one example, I was the very first to bring a hint of realism into last season. But, it's just really not worth arguing at this point. I said I was going to back off and let their posts going forward after Saturday decide how I and others feel about them ... and right now, even they have to admit they are coming off as haters with an axe to grind.