t-bone?
porterhouse?
NY Strip?
sirloin?

etc etc?

Variety is the spice of life, Jean.

Lawton4Life
6/15/2011, 08:27 AM
If cooked right the Tbone is amazing...but since one size is sooo thin and other thicker, sometimes they just dont turn out.

I've really been enjoying using the monteral steak seasoning lately. I like to let them sit in some worchestershshidhdhdireeee sauce and then liberally apply the montreal and grill em up.

My Opinion Matters
6/15/2011, 08:28 AM
T-bone > all others.

soonerinabilene
6/15/2011, 08:32 AM
Top Sirloin... Its extremely flavorful, not marbled at all, and a lot less expensive

jk the sooner fan
6/15/2011, 08:33 AM
the marbling is what adds flavor

Mjcpr
6/15/2011, 08:33 AM
I'd go with the Porterhouse, all the goodness of a T-bone but with a bigger filet.

OULenexaman
6/15/2011, 08:34 AM
filet

soonerinabilene
6/15/2011, 08:41 AM
the marbling is what adds flavor

Yeah I agree, and ill cook ribeyes at home, but I refuse to pay at a steakhouse that charges market price for a steak when 1/4 of it is gristle. If done properly, a sirloin can be just as tasty.

My Opinion Matters
6/15/2011, 08:42 AM
No offense, but sirloin is what I serve the kids while the adults are eating steak.

Mongo
6/15/2011, 08:42 AM
Yeah I agree, and ill cook ribeyes at home, but I refuse to pay at a steakhouse that charges market price for a steak when 1/4 of it is gristle. If done properly, a sirloin can be just as tasty.

exactly. but I prefer strips over ribeyes

jk the sooner fan
6/15/2011, 08:44 AM
exactly. but I prefer strips over ribeyes

I normally get a strip at a restaurant as well but cook ribeyes at the house

soonerinabilene
6/15/2011, 08:49 AM
No offense, but sirloin is what I serve the kids while the adults are eating steak.

Yeah, but the question is if NOT a ribeye... And ive got four kids so we learned quickly the true value of a sirloin cut.

SoonerAtKU
6/15/2011, 08:49 AM
I eat a lot of flank steak at home when I'm not doing real steaks. Fajitas, seared and sliced as appetizers with dipping sauces, tacos, salads. It's a pretty great cut of meat if you treat it right and don't overcook.

Also I do strips sometimes if the ribeyes at the market look too fatty or are an off color.

Mjcpr
6/15/2011, 08:51 AM
I eat a lot of flank steak at home when I'm not doing real steaks. Fajitas, seared and sliced as appetizers with dipping sauces, tacos, salads. It's a pretty great cut of meat if you treat it right and don't overcook.

Also I do strips sometimes if the ribeyes at the market look too fatty or are an off color.

Flank steaks ARE good if you can find them. We marinate them, grill and serve sliced. Very good!

To me, ribeyes have way too much fat in them, although the flavor is good.

Boomer.....
6/15/2011, 08:55 AM
Filet

I can't handle all of the fatty parts.

SoonerAtKU
6/15/2011, 08:55 AM
My biggest issue is price on the flank steak. It's been creeping up in the past year or so into the 8-9$ a pound range. For that, I'll just get better cuts. But when it's 6-7$ a pound, I'll always get flank at half price of a ribeye.

XingTheRubicon
6/15/2011, 09:01 AM
save the neck for me, clark

pphilfran
6/15/2011, 09:05 AM
Filet>Ribeye>Porterhouse>T Bone>NY Strip

Sirloins don't rate...

JamesHale
6/15/2011, 09:14 AM
depends...

"they" say that true steak lovers eat ribeyes. for the longest time, ribeyes were all i ate and what i believed to be the the true test of a great steakhouse.

my wife always ordered filets and i would enjoy a bite or two... so ive slowly stepped over to the darkside of ordering filets, primarily.

when i go to a good restaurant that offers a porterhouse, i'll order that, rare plus, peter luger style with a 16-22 ounce lobster tail.

in fact, that is exactly what i'll be having tonight...

SoonerAtKU
6/15/2011, 09:34 AM
Filets are great, too, I just don't cook them at home. My grill doesn't get hot enough, and I can't get them right when I pan-sear. I'd love to be able to do a great au poivre, though.

OutlandTrophy
6/15/2011, 09:36 AM
sirloin or filet

pphilfran
6/15/2011, 09:39 AM
If I order a filet I need to order four to get a meal...

Position Limit
6/15/2011, 09:42 AM
ribeyes, while tasty, are a junky cheap piece of very fatty meat. face it, the filet is the best part of bovine. filet mignon cut 2 inches thick and cooked no more than medium rare.

sooner59
6/15/2011, 09:51 AM
If you know much about high end steaks, the marbling is what gives it the best flavor. This means its going to have fat in it. That is why most good ribeyes have great flavor. Filets are good, too, but they are never big enough and they cost too damn much.

sooner59
6/15/2011, 09:52 AM
Filet>Ribeye>Porterhouse>T Bone>NY Strip

Sirloins don't rate...

This is pretty close to what I say as well, except for the filet is probably between the Porterhouse and the T bone for me.

SpankyNek
6/15/2011, 09:59 AM
I'll go with the strip.

A 2" thick PRIME NY Strip is the best steak I have ever eaten.

I have moved from Bone-in Ribeyes, as I find myself leaving more and more on the plate as scrap...we are really fattening up our beef these days.

A marbled strip with the perfect amount of fat around the edge is a great gift to man.

jk the sooner fan
6/15/2011, 10:02 AM
I'll go with the strip.

A 2" thick PRIME NY Strip is the best steak I have ever eaten.

I have moved from Bone-in Ribeyes, as I find myself leaving more and more on the plate as scrap...we are really fattening up our beef these days.

A marbled strip with the perfect amount of fat around the edge is a great gift to man.

yeah i've never been a fan of the bone-in ribeye

crawfish
6/15/2011, 10:06 AM
Nothing better than a porterhouse, but I also love a good ribeye.

SoCaliSooner
6/15/2011, 10:07 AM
Tri tip.

BillyBall
6/15/2011, 10:09 AM
Bone in Strip, wet aged.

SoonerAtKU
6/15/2011, 10:11 AM
Tri tip.

How did I know the California guy would say tri-tip?

Truthfully, I've never had it. Isn't it similar to a brisket in that it can be tough if prepared badly?

jk the sooner fan
6/15/2011, 10:20 AM
Tri tip.

i LOVE the tri tip - Costco sells a Mortons flavored Tri-tip that i put on my grill - it is TASTY - love love love that cut of meat

SoCaliSooner
6/15/2011, 11:06 AM

Truthfully, I've never had it. Isn't it similar to a brisket in that it can be tough if prepared badly?

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c285/fdmedictomc/DSC05854.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c285/fdmedictomc/DSC02034.jpg

It can be difficult if you don't know what you are doing, but it is juicy and tender. I stay away from the Costco or Santa Maria pre-packaged and already marinated tri tip. It's generally extremely salty.

I just ask the butcher for the amount I need and pick them up a few days later.

Breadburner
6/15/2011, 11:12 AM
A well marinated and properly cooked flank steak is hard to beat.....

Mjcpr
6/15/2011, 11:14 AM
It can be difficult if you don't know what you are doing, but it is juicy and tender. I stay away from the Costco or Santa Maria pre-packaged and already marinated tri tip. It's generally extremely salty.

Sounds good but why would you ruin it with a Corona Light?

JohnnyMack
6/15/2011, 11:16 AM

Clarence: Oh there they go. There they go, every time I start talkin 'bout boxing, a white man got to pull Rocky Marciano out their ***. That's their one, that's their one. Rocky Marciano. Rocky Marciano. Let me tell you something once and for all. Rocky Marciano was good, but compared to Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano ain't ****.

pphilfran
6/15/2011, 11:16 AM
If ya have to cook it for three days before it is tender....it ain't a steak...

If ya have ta soak it in all sorts of exotic spices....it ain't a steak....

saucysoonergal
6/15/2011, 11:24 AM
Sirloin, mmmmmmmmmm that or CDIAB (no beans)

Partial Qualifier
6/15/2011, 11:32 AM
Strip or filet. But reading this gots me thinkin: I need to try a well-prepared t-bone

BillyBall
6/15/2011, 11:36 AM
Clarence: Oh there they go. There they go, every time I start talkin 'bout boxing, a white man got to pull Rocky Marciano out their ***. That's their one, that's their one. Rocky Marciano. Rocky Marciano. Let me tell you something once and for all. Rocky Marciano was good, but compared to Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano ain't ****.

He whooped Joe Louis's ***...

The Maestro
6/15/2011, 11:38 AM
Bone-in filet on a 500 degree plate from Maestro's City Hall Steakhouse in Scottsdale.

There is a reason a filet costs more.

GDC
6/15/2011, 11:40 AM
what cut of steak?

t-bone?
porterhouse?
NY Strip?
sirloin?

etc etc?

All of the above.

NormanPride
6/15/2011, 11:42 AM
Chuck or whatever is cheapest. Put it in a sous vide bath for about 17 hours or more and it will come out like a filet.

ouleaf
6/15/2011, 11:46 AM
Bone-in filet on a 500 degree plate from Maestro's City Hall Steakhouse in Scottsdale.

There is a reason a filet costs more.

Agree. Nothing else compares to a nice, big, medium rare, bone-in filet. If you have the means, I highly recommend it.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/15/2011, 11:46 AM
Toe.

achiro
6/15/2011, 11:47 AM
If you know much about high end steaks, the marbling is what gives it the best flavor. This means its going to have fat in it. That is why most good ribeyes have great flavor. Filets are good, too, but they are never big enough and they cost too damn much.

...we are really fattening up our beef these days.

Here's the issue with most ribeyes anymore. It's rare to go anywhere and get a ribeye with just marbling, they are just full of fat and there is a huge difference between fat and marbled.

GDC
6/15/2011, 11:53 AM
http://www.bigtexan.com/images/72ozSteaklarger.jpg

Chuck Bao
6/15/2011, 12:37 PM
When my favorite restaurant - one of those Brazilian grill type of things - was open, their best tasting and most tender meat was baby back beef. Hell, I don't even know what that is.

jk the sooner fan
6/15/2011, 12:44 PM

the Mortons brand isnt overly salty - at least not that i've been able to tell

anyway - great cut of meat - very tender, juicy and flavorful - if cooked right

OutlandTrophy
6/15/2011, 01:18 PM
what's the right way to cook a tri tip?

jk the sooner fan
6/15/2011, 01:25 PM

i put it on the traeger till the internal temp is 140 - it kind of sears the outer layer a tiny bit - but the thin fat layer slides right off - and its extremely tender

i think the directions say you can cook it in the oven as well

SoCaliSooner
6/15/2011, 01:32 PM
i put it on the traeger till the internal temp is 140 - it kind of sears the outer layer a tiny bit - but the thin fat layer slides right off - and its extremely tender

i think the directions say you can cook it in the oven as well

That's about right. Those cuts can be 3" thick or more, so a slow grilling turning very few times keeps the meat soft.

Mjcpr
6/15/2011, 02:18 PM
That's about right. Those cuts can be 3" thick or more, so a slow grilling turning very few times keeps the meat soft.

That's what she said.

SoonerAtKU
6/15/2011, 02:19 PM
I may be confused. What bone are we talking about when we say "bone-in filet"? Those are from the tenderloin, and the only bone close is a rib or a chunk of spine...

The
6/15/2011, 02:20 PM
That's what she said.
http://i.imgur.com/9oXYU.jpg

ouleaf
6/15/2011, 03:14 PM
http://www.bigtexan.com/images/72ozSteaklarger.jpg

The Big Texan is vastly overrated...More of a tourist trap or noveltyy than anything else. Been there a couple times and was not impressed with the quality of their steaks.

Fish&Game
6/15/2011, 03:25 PM
I'm a ribeye kind of guy myself....but I buy our beef 1/2 a cow at a time, from a friend. He will grass feed them for most of their lives, and then switch to grain shortly before processing to fatten them up a little. Dealing with the butcher directly I am able to get all our cuts the way we want them. We have never gotten any bad beef from the guy. Great steaks down to great tasting hamburgers....w/o mayo.

soonerchk
6/15/2011, 03:28 PM
Between this and the pig thread, I'm hungry. Who's going to grill me up some succulent meat?

Mongo
6/15/2011, 03:29 PM
Between this and the pig thread, I'm hungry. Who's going to grill me up some succulent meat?

I'll put my meat on your grill

soonerchk
6/15/2011, 03:31 PM
I'll put my meat on your grill

Last time I agreed to this, I got felt up by the computer guy.

Mongo
6/15/2011, 03:32 PM
nerds ruin it for everyone

soonerchk
6/15/2011, 03:33 PM
I'm a ribeye kind of guy myself....but I buy our beef 1/2 a cow at a time, from a friend. He will grass feed them for most of their lives, and then switch to grain shortly before processing to fatten them up a little. Dealing with the butcher directly I am able to get all our cuts the way we want them. We have never gotten any bad beef from the guy. Great steaks down to great tasting hamburgers....w/o mayo.

I did that, and there is such a huge difference in the meat! And I do like knowing what he ate before I ate him.

okie52
6/15/2011, 04:11 PM
I did that, and there is such a huge difference in the meat! And I do like knowing what he ate before I ate him.

That can certainly change the flavor of the Mayo.

texaspokieokie
6/15/2011, 05:09 PM

steer or butcher ??

sooner ngintunr
6/15/2011, 05:22 PM

I cook em on my "cranker" over oak coals (red oak preferred). I aim for 145*. I try to cook it for at least 1 1/2 hrs. Never more than one flip. I use Susie Q seasoning and Black pepper. Always slice against the grain, otherwise it may bring out some "stringyness". If you start slicing at the "point" of the tip you usually end up OK.

These are from last Saturday.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2512/spring2011077.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27/spring2011077.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/128/spring2011078.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/600/spring2011078.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

soonerchk
6/15/2011, 05:25 PM
That can certainly change the flavor of the Mayo.

steer or butcher ??

It's sad when I knew posting that would lead to this, and I couldn't come up with a better way to word it.

*sigh*

My Opinion Matters
6/15/2011, 05:27 PM
I know I speak for Mongo as well on this, but all this talk about three-tipped meat has me all hot and bothered.

StoopTroup
6/15/2011, 06:05 PM
If you know how to cook...the cut doesn't matter.

It's all gonna make a turd.

Mongo
6/15/2011, 06:50 PM
I know I speak for Mongo as well on this, but all this talk about three-tipped meat has me all hot and bothered.

I concur

okie52
6/15/2011, 09:41 PM
It's sad when I knew posting that would lead to this, and I couldn't come up with a better way to word it.

*sigh*

Shamefully, I couldn't resist.

Sooner_Tuf
6/15/2011, 10:52 PM
Damn city kids :D We need to have class on beef I can see. Only a couple of you even know what a steak is. Your lives would be much improved if took a few minutes to learn a little bit about beef and maybe rethink where you are buying it.

I don't have the desire to do it now but I will pass along a few tips. First a filet is not a steak. There is no such thing as a bone in filet as the tenderloin has no bone. What you are getting is part of a deconstructed porterhouse. The bone is not part of the filet so it has no way to add flavor.

The tri tip is also not a steak. You rarely see them outside of California because most places they are thrown into the pile to be ground into ground sirloin or hamburger depending on what they need at the time. They taste like sirloin because that is what they are. They are the point of the muscle. Nothing bad about it, they have lots of flavor but they should be priced more inline with ground meat.

The NY Strip is a good steak. A good one is about as good as it gets to me. But on average you won't get as many truly good Strips as you will Ribeyes. You can look at a good Ribeye and see what you are buying. Not always true with a strip. Plus a 2" thick lean strip is more like a roast than a steak when it comes time to cook it.

If you can't say a Ribeye is the best steak you ever had than you haven't had a really good one. Any Strip that can come close to being as good as a Ribeye is more luck than anything.

Its so hard to get good Ribeyes anymore that many people will never experience one unless they know a producer that truly has good cattle and knows how to make them produce good beef.

You aren't going to get good beef at the store anymore. The steers are to young to start with, the carcasses are frozen, most beef today has had water added before you get it.

Allan Brothers had traditionally been a good source for excellent steaks. More recently I have heard their meat is no longer dry aged. Dry aging is extremely important if you want truly good meat. Forty plus years ago all meat was dry aged and even the so so carcasses ended up pretty good.

The best steaks will be from a steer that is at least two years old, has a quality carcass, is dry aged, and has never been frozen. Every time you freeze meat you damage it. You haven't had a ribeye that has been processed this way you haven't a clue what really good beef is.

sooner59
6/16/2011, 01:57 AM
Makes me want to try Peter Lugar's in NY after seeing how they dry age their steaks, which are handpicked and only prime. I want a ribeye from there.

Sooner_Tuf
6/16/2011, 02:30 AM
Makes me want to try Peter Lugar's in NY after seeing how they dry age their steaks, which are handpicked and only prime. I want a ribeye from there.

Peter Luger's is great and any steak lover should make it a point to visit when in NYC. They probably aren't the best steaks available but I think they hands down offer the best meal anywhere in the world.

The Porterhouse is what they do and they do it better than anyone. You can get a side of bacon that is so thick and unlike anything you have ever had anywhere else. They have great desert but I have never had room to have one.

I don't care much for NYC but Peter Luger and Carnegie Deli make any trip to NYC a pleasant experience.

The first time I ate there I was so taken with the flavor of our steak that I asked how they were seasoned. I was told a little salt, a little less pepper, and a lot of fire. I think they are probably finished in a broiler. However they do it they are incredible every single time.

jk the sooner fan
6/16/2011, 06:54 AM
Damn city kids :D We need to have class on beef I can see. Only a couple of you even know what a steak is. Your lives would be much improved if took a few minutes to learn a little bit about beef and maybe rethink where you are buying it.

I don't have the desire to do it now but I will pass along a few tips. First a filet is not a steak. There is no such thing as a bone in filet as the tenderloin has no bone. What you are getting is part of a deconstructed porterhouse. The bone is not part of the filet so it has no way to add flavor.

The tri tip is also not a steak. You rarely see them outside of California because most places they are thrown into the pile to be ground into ground sirloin or hamburger depending on what they need at the time. They taste like sirloin because that is what they are. They are the point of the muscle. Nothing bad about it, they have lots of flavor but they should be priced more inline with ground meat.

The NY Strip is a good steak. A good one is about as good as it gets to me. But on average you won't get as many truly good Strips as you will Ribeyes. You can look at a good Ribeye and see what you are buying. Not always true with a strip. Plus a 2" thick lean strip is more like a roast than a steak when it comes time to cook it.

If you can't say a Ribeye is the best steak you ever had than you haven't had a really good one. Any Strip that can come close to being as good as a Ribeye is more luck than anything.

Its so hard to get good Ribeyes anymore that many people will never experience one unless they know a producer that truly has good cattle and knows how to make them produce good beef.

You aren't going to get good beef at the store anymore. The steers are to young to start with, the carcasses are frozen, most beef today has had water added before you get it.

Allan Brothers had traditionally been a good source for excellent steaks. More recently I have heard their meat is no longer dry aged. Dry aging is extremely important if you want truly good meat. Forty plus years ago all meat was dry aged and even the so so carcasses ended up pretty good.

The best steaks will be from a steer that is at least two years old, has a quality carcass, is dry aged, and has never been frozen. Every time you freeze meat you damage it. You haven't had a ribeye that has been processed this way you haven't a clue what really good beef is.

Dean - close down the thread - the Steak Whisperer has weighed in on the matter

My Opinion Matters
6/16/2011, 08:27 AM
Dean - close down the thread - the Steak Whisperer has weighed in on the matter

He's not just an expert on steak, he's an expert on everything. If you don't believe me just ask him.

jk the sooner fan
6/16/2011, 08:32 AM
so he's like me?

My Opinion Matters
6/16/2011, 08:37 AM
so he's like me?

Sorta, just not as needy; but you have much stronger hands.

jk the sooner fan
6/16/2011, 08:38 AM
strong.......yet soft

Position Limit
6/16/2011, 08:44 AM

as a former resident of both NYC and Chicago, and a frequenter of some of the finest steak houses in the world, I can say without a doubt that you no very little about steak. but thanks for trying. keep googling though.

jk the sooner fan
6/16/2011, 08:44 AM
oh its on

SoCaliSooner
6/16/2011, 08:55 AM
I know tri tip isn't steak. It's just what I often grill because I generally feed 30-35 people at a time when I BBQ. It's big slabs of beef I can slice so people can help themselves. I can do a few towards the rare side of medium rare, some medium rare and some towards the medium side.

Mjcpr
6/16/2011, 09:07 AM
I know tri tip isn't steak. It's just what I often grill because I generally feed 30-35 people at a time when I BBQ. It's big slabs of beef I can slice so people can help themselves. I can do a few towards the rare side of medium rare, some medium rare and some towards the medium side.

The initial thread question was about steak so I'm afraid you are DQ'd.

SoCaliSooner
6/16/2011, 09:13 AM
The initial thread question was about steak so I'm afraid you are DQ'd.

It's okay. I already shat on the floor and groped the hosts wife.

No worries, I'll show my way out.

SoonerAtKU
6/16/2011, 09:33 AM
I've found that nothing you can do in normal conversation is ruder than telling someone that they're doing something incorrectly that they enjoy doing.

To myself, I might shake my head at the person who orders a sirloin well done with extra A1 and ketchup, but I'll never tell someone to their face that they're "wrong" for doing it.

Hell, my wife for a while would put sour cream and teriyaki sauce on her steaks after I cooked them. She doesn't anymore, but that's because she tried mine. She was so used to steaks being tough, flavorless, and overcooked that she thought everyone had to do it that way to enjoy it.

JDMT
6/16/2011, 09:54 AM
Moo.

Jammin'
6/16/2011, 09:54 AM
Moo.

stevo, what is with these aggies and their cows today?

Sooner_Tuf
6/16/2011, 10:21 AM
as a former resident of both NYC and Chicago, and a frequenter of some of the finest steak houses in the world, I can say without a doubt that you no very little about steak. but thanks for trying. keep googling though.

As one of the larger producers of all natural grass fed beef in the nation I saw more cattle this morning (before you got up) than you will see in your life.

It doesn't matter how many times you stroke it you will never be an Urologist, just so you no :rolleyes:

Sooner_Tuf
6/16/2011, 10:22 AM
so he's like me?

No nothing like you. I'm a man seven days a week.

jk the sooner fan
6/16/2011, 10:25 AM
No nothing like you. I'm a man seven days a week.

ooooooooooooh sick burn..........you sure told me internet tough guy!

Sooner_Tuf
6/16/2011, 10:31 AM
ooooooooooooh sick burn..........you sure told me internet tough guy!

Amazed you could read that with the use of the ignore feature and all. 32,000 internet what?

ChickSoonerFan
6/16/2011, 10:33 AM
Is it too late to respond to the original question?

achiro
6/16/2011, 10:35 AM
As one of the larger producers of all natural grass fed beef in the nation I saw more cattle this morning (before you got up) than you will see in your life.

It doesn't matter how many times you stroke it you will never be an Urologist, just so you no :rolleyes:

Do you ever sell to individuals? I use to buy from a guy but he passed away a few years ago and I haven't been able to find anyone that does grass fed that I can buy from to butcher.

OutlandTrophy
6/16/2011, 10:40 AM

you run a cow calf operation or what do you have going on?

do you finish the steers you keep with corn and sweet feed or strictly grass?

My inlaws raise beef. I'm learning a lot but my FIL still gives me the look when I ask dumb questions.

Dean raises swing. He's a pig farmer.

stevo
6/16/2011, 10:45 AM
stevo, what is with these aggies and their cows today?

it's an epidemic! cows are not safe today

also, anyone that wants to grill me a nice rare filet is more than welcome to do so. thnxnadvnc

Position Limit
6/16/2011, 11:39 AM

no :rolleyes:

god your life sounds boring. around all that beef and you know nothing about it.

BOOMERBRADLEY
6/16/2011, 11:51 AM
Filet
Something else

JDMT
6/16/2011, 12:17 PM
This beef is out of this world!!! They're out untill August. I've got another back yard bash ordered!.

http://www.stonebluffbeef.com/content/yourchoices.html

Sooner_Tuf
6/16/2011, 12:48 PM
Do you ever sell to individuals? I use to buy from a guy but he passed away a few years ago and I haven't been able to find anyone that does grass fed that I can buy from to butcher.

We did for a lot of years. I have a small modern slaughter/packing facility but dealing with the state has become very arduous. The butcher we had for more than forty years retired and has since past away. We haven't killed except for ourselves for more than four years. We kill about two dozen a year or so for family and to feed hunters etc.

We have a number of people that buy steers from us and have them processed elsewhere. I can tell you who other people use and seem to be happy with but I don't have any personal experience with them. It is very difficult to find a place where you actually get your own beef back all of the time (In my experience).

Between state regulations and beef contracts it is harder and harder to sell a steer to someone. We provide approximately three thousand two year old grass fed steers a year to a company in Kansas City that absolutely prohibits from selling any steers that have been on their regiment to anyone else. It is ridiculous but they pay a healthy premium to get that exclusivity.

Fish&Game
6/16/2011, 12:59 PM
This beef is out of this world!!! They're out untill August. I've got another back yard bash ordered!.

http://www.stonebluffbeef.com/content/yourchoices.htmlSounds like a lot like the operation where we get our beef. A small family run operation. But they are family friends and don't advertise, and don't sell to anyone out of the blue.

Sooner_Tuf
6/16/2011, 02:13 PM
you run a cow calf operation or what do you have going on?

do you finish the steers you keep with corn and sweet feed or strictly grass?

My inlaws raise beef. I'm learning a lot but my FIL still gives me the look when I ask dumb questions.

Dean raises swing. He's a pig farmer.

We do have momma cows and have approximately twelve hundred calves born on us a year. The majority of the males will go into our steer production, we market eight thousand plus steers a year. The heifers we either keep or sell to other producers that we buy calves from.

My family in entirety markets more than thirty thousand grass fed steers a year (including my numbers). We have been producing beef in these numbers for more than four generations.

We don't finish anything other than what we slaughter for own consumption. I feed barley or a barley mix for a maximum of three weeks for my table. I don't care for corn at all. I have family members that disagree and do use it. Just a matter of preference. Barely fed beef has a brighter, cleaner taste and the fat is pure white. Corn fat is yellow and seems almost rancid in comparison to my tastes.

I know there a ton of city kids here that know more about beef than us poor dirt farmers do. All we do is supply about forty two millions pounds of steers that will produce approximately sixteen million plus pounds of prime or better beef a year. We don't know **** about it :rolleyes:

OutlandTrophy
6/16/2011, 02:28 PM
dang, that's a lot of cattle!!

Boomer.....
6/16/2011, 03:11 PM
More than you will ever see in your life!

Chuck Bao
6/16/2011, 03:20 PM
Wow! That is a big commercial operation. I don't think my family has more than 200 head at the moment. And, it isn't the primary source of income, so it is more about tradition, a hobby, use of part of the land that we refuse to lease out more than anything.

Do you actually castrate all of the young bulls to make them steers? That is pretty labor intensive. My granddad did. He'd whip out his pocket knife and cut the balls off of new calves with the mother cow snorting and stamping just above him.

Another question: what breed of cattle do your raise. Do you think one breed produces better tasting beef than others? My dad was very critical of anyone who said that Angus beef tastes noticeable different.

Asians, of course, like Kobe steak, but they also have bought into the idea that Angus beef is the best from the US. What do they know? They also think that dog meat from a black-haired dog is superior.

opksooner
6/16/2011, 04:27 PM
.....They also think that dog meat from a black-haired dog is superior.

Milk fed puppy! Yum!!!

sooneron
6/16/2011, 08:50 PM
Luger's is about the 8th best steak I've ever had. It's more about experience than the beef.

and, other than a ribeye, a Rillay good ribeye, porterhouse or filet, even though it is not a true steak. Of course, a good marinade on flank steak for an hour or so, can be deelish and lower in fat.

Caboose
6/16/2011, 08:53 PM
I love a NY Strip... medium well.

olevetonahill
6/16/2011, 08:58 PM
We do have momma cows and have approximately twelve hundred calves born on us a year. The majority of the males will go into our steer production, we market eight thousand plus steers a year. The heifers we either keep or sell to other producers that we buy calves from.

My family in entirety markets more than thirty thousand grass fed steers a year (including my numbers). We have been producing beef in these numbers for more than four generations.

We don't finish anything other than what we slaughter for own consumption. I feed barley or a barley mix for a maximum of three weeks for my table. I don't care for corn at all. I have family members that disagree and do use it. Just a matter of preference. Barely fed beef has a brighter, cleaner taste and the fat is pure white. Corn fat is yellow and seems almost rancid in comparison to my tastes.

I know there a ton of city kids here that know more about beef than us poor dirt farmers do. All we do is supply about forty two millions pounds of steers that will produce approximately sixteen million plus pounds of prime or better beef a year. We don't know **** about it :rolleyes:

Dayum Bro get a Clue. :D

C&CDean
6/16/2011, 10:18 PM

Who exactly is "we?" It ain't you, so who is it?

BOOMERBRADLEY
6/16/2011, 11:15 PM
I love a NY Strip... medium well.

Sick...You might as well grill a boot. It would probably taste the same