PDA

View Full Version : Florida Governor Rick Scott signed

Memtig14
6/13/2011, 08:39 PM
Florida Governor Rick Scott signed first in the nation legislation last week preventing doctors from asking and recording information regarding whether or not a family has a gun in their house. It may surprise many of you who do not have young children that pediatricians across America have included questions of gun ownership in their standard patient documentation for the last few years under the guise of protecting children from accidental death. It should be noted that these doctors do not ask about swimming pools, staircases, elevated decks or cleaning chemicals that each year kill far more children than do accidents with guns.

The Federal government has been pushing doctors toward electronic medical records for the last 10 years and under Obamacare, it will become mandatory for all medical records to be stored in central data repositories that will be accessible by the government. Using this data, the government will be able to more easily identify which households have guns and which do not. The Brady Center for Gun Control and the American Academy of Pediatrics (both politically liberal organizations) have filed suit in Federal court to block the new law.

We fully expect the Obama Administration and Attorney General Eric Holder will join in the lawsuit much the same way they did regarding Arizona's illegal immigration laws to allow the continued collection of gun ownership information. What better way to find out who owns the millions of legal but unregistered firearms than hide behind the liberal standard of "we just want it for the children".

We encourage the safe storage and handling of all firearms, especially in those homes with children. It is the responsibility of every gun owner to make sure that firearm accidents are prevented. The pediatricians could easily give parents a handout on gun safety around children. They could also include safety information on pools, hot tubs, chemicals and other injury hazards. Don't be fooled for a second that these questions are about protecting children.

This is about data collection, period. Are you getting nervous yet?

Sincerely,
Roger Stockton
Western Representation PAC

Curly Bill
6/13/2011, 08:41 PM
Good move by him.

Sooner_Tuf
6/13/2011, 08:44 PM
I have never heard of such a thing. It's none of a doctors business.

SpankyNek
6/13/2011, 08:45 PM
Much ado about nothing.

My 6 year old has had countless pediatric visits in OK and TX. Of the 4 docs we have seen, there was no question like this on any document.

More taxpayer money wasted if you ask me.

sooneron
6/13/2011, 08:47 PM
Spank, this is new. I don't think it has gotten under steam just yet.

Sooner5030
6/13/2011, 08:55 PM
My doc barely has the time to look at my son in the first place. I doubt he/she would have the time to even consider what items we have around the house.

normally I'd be offended....but after experiencing a overwhelmed St Johns Regional Clinic.....I'd hug the doc that had the time to consider it.....then I'd inform him/her that it's noneya.

SoCaliSooner
6/13/2011, 09:00 PM
What happens is the federal government trots out policies that other states are already doing as a way to just calm any outrage. "California has had these environmental policies for years...."

"We're just enacting a policy of protecting children that many states including Florida have been using for years"...

That's how it's done.

MR2-Sooner86
6/13/2011, 09:15 PM
Last time I looked the numbers, around 300, were pretty close on kids choking to death on their toys and accidentally shooting themselves. More children die each year swallowing household chemicals or drowning in their swimming pool. It's nothing more than a political move.

cantwait48
6/13/2011, 11:46 PM
I browse a few gun forums and have seen a few threads on it but not too many. Anyway to me gun education should be a mandatory lesson in grade school, yes the gang kids are still going to grow up (or not so much) and use them to shoot people but there are a lot of stupid parents that do not take the necessary precautions on keeping them from their young kids. Guns are here and they are not going anywhere and kids should be taught at an early age to respect them, and that goes for everyone who has kids because you never know about sending your kids to someone else's house.

jkjsooner
6/14/2011, 08:51 AM
I have a 21 month old and I've never heard this question asked.

Other than the gun aspect, this seems a little opposite of the Republican stance on individual and private sector freedoms. I'd love to see Ron Paul's opinion of this.

yermom
6/14/2011, 09:18 AM
I browse a few gun forums and have seen a few threads on it but not too many. Anyway to me gun education should be a mandatory lesson in grade school, yes the gang kids are still going to grow up (or not so much) and use them to shoot people but there are a lot of stupid parents that do not take the necessary precautions on keeping them from their young kids. Guns are here and they are not going anywhere and kids should be taught at an early age to respect them, and that goes for everyone who has kids because you never know about sending your kids to someone else's house.

replace gun with penis and this is also true

yermom
6/14/2011, 09:19 AM
Much ado about nothing.

My 6 year old has had countless pediatric visits in OK and TX. Of the 4 docs we have seen, there was no question like this on any document.

More taxpayer money wasted if you ask me.

TX and OK aren't CA and NY, or apparently, FL either though

OUDoc
6/14/2011, 09:30 AM
The Federal government has been pushing doctors toward electronic medical records for the last 10 years and under Obamacare, it will become mandatory for all medical records to be stored in central data repositories that will be accessible by the government.

To my knowledge, this isn't true.

Some pediatricians have been asking about guns in the house, I heard it many years ago (looong before Obama) during my training. Guns are particularly dangerous to kids if not stored correctly. To think it's part of some conspiracy is "tin foil hat" at best.

DIB
6/14/2011, 09:33 AM
Even if the data is in a central location, it's not like the government can suddenly break doctor patient confidentiality. In most cases, it takes a lot to get a subpoena for medical records.

yermom
6/14/2011, 09:43 AM
unless it's a "Patriot" asking

Bourbon St Sooner
6/14/2011, 09:48 AM
I'm a gun rights supporter, but this seems like a bit of hysteria along with some political pandering. If you're that worried about it, don't answer the question.

sappstuf
6/14/2011, 09:54 AM
To my knowledge, this isn't true.

Some pediatricians have been asking about guns in the house, I heard it many years ago (looong before Obama) during my training. Guns are particularly dangerous to kids if not stored correctly. To think it's part of some conspiracy is "tin foil hat" at best.

It looks like it stems from the Framingham Safety Survey for 1 year olds that is recommended by the American Association of Pediatrics. I'm sure some docs follow it and others do not.

cantwait48
6/14/2011, 10:10 AM
replace gun with penis and this is also true"

maybe, but I don't browse penis forums

yermom
6/14/2011, 10:11 AM
i'm sure they make the same arguments :D