PDA

View Full Version : Ignorance is bliss

Jacie
6/13/2011, 06:39 PM
Fickell: I didn’t know about violations at OSU
By RUSTY MILLER, AP College Football Writer

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP)—Two weeks after Jim Tressel was forced to resign because of an improper benefits scandal at Ohio State, interim football coach Luke Fickell said Monday that he didn’t know of any NCAA rules violations.

“I wasn’t going to say that I had blinders on, but (I was) very focused on the task at hand,” Fickell said. “I was not informed of any information until it became public knowledge.”

Fickell spoke at an introductory news conference, during which he promised Buckeyes fans a team that would be about “respect, toughness and being men of action.”

The 37-year-old Fickell is a former Ohio State player who has been on the staff for the last 10 years, coaching linebackers and, most recently, serving as co-defensive coordinator.

Fickell was selected to fill in as head coach when Tressel was suspended for the first five games of the 2011 season for knowing players were accepting cash and discounted tattoos in exchange for memorabilia from a local tattoo-parlor owner but failing to notify his superiors.

After weeks of revelations and rumors, Tressel resigned under pressure on May 30 amid an ongoing NCAA investigation of his ultrasuccessful program. In the hours that followed, Tressel spoke briefly with Fickell and gave him some simple advice: Be yourself.

Athletic director Gene Smith spoke briefly before introducing Fickell.

“I want to share with you why for me it was pretty easy to sit down with him and ask him to take on this leadership role,” Smith said. “You know his great success in teaching and recruiting and that’s represented in the number of student-athletes who came here and became Big Ten players and All Americans and ultimately went onto the NFL at the professional level. It’s recognized in the great years of service (and) the respect that the high school coaches in the state and the coaches on our staff have for him. We’re very, very pleased he’s going to step into this role.”

Smith also announced that Fickell’s two-year contract would be modified to pay him $775,000 a year in addition to some bonuses. Tressel was paid an estimated $3.5 million per season. He was 106-22 in his 10 seasons, leading the Buckeyes to the national championship in 2002.

Fickell said he had been contacted by star quarterback Terrelle Pryor, one of the five players who was suspended for five games in the memorabilia-for-cash scheme, while Pryor was making up his mind whether to return to Ohio State. The new coach said he never called the QB back.

Pryor then announced last week that he would give up his senior season and would refuse to answer any more questions from NCAA investigators. The NCAA infractions committee will meet with Ohio State officials on Aug. 12.

“We’re going to continue to educate, educate, educate our guys,” Fickell said of his plans for heading off further problems in the once-proud program. “We understand that we are going to deal with compliance. We are going to go through this situation thoroughly and methodically so we can figure out what is best and the best ways we can handle this stuff for the future because, again, we have to plan for the future.”

Pryor signed with agent Drew Rosenhaus earlier on Monday and took the first steps toward making himself available for an NFL supplemental draft this summer. Also, the lawyer who first sent emails to Tressel to tell him of the violations is being investigated by the Ohio Supreme Court for misconduct for revealing to Tressel what he learned from a potential client.

The NCAA’s committee on infractions could levy penalties including vacating seasons, a bowl ban and restrictions on recruiting, among other possibilities.

Born and raised not far from Ohio Stadium, Fickell comes in with an appreciation for one tradition which remains near and dear to Ohio State fans: The annual season-ending rivalry game with Michigan.

“Our guys will know about Nov. 26,” he said of the game in Ann Arbor, Mich. “I promise you that.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other words, in three years having Terrelle Pryor around, Fickell never once heard that everytime their star player was stopped by the police he was driving a different car or noticed that he was driving a different car practically everytime he saw him. It was like one of those not-so-well-kept secrets that everyone on campus was in on but Fickell claims he was "focused" and "not informed" until it was reported by the press.

Right.

rekamrettuB
6/13/2011, 08:42 PM
This guy's not a car guy. I mean Pete Carrol had no idea that Reggie Bush's parents were living in a 750K house even tho he ate dinner there from time to time. He wasn't a real estate professional.

Sooner Cal
6/13/2011, 10:03 PM
Gee is a disaster as a university President. He needs to be fired.

What would anyone expect Fickel to say? Of course he'd deny knowledge. Doesn't mean it's the truth. So many players were getting tats that everyone on the staff should have noticed.

His Qb tried to reach him, but he never called him back. Can you say, cut the ties.

Pryor won't cooperate with the NCAA. Can you say Reggie Bush strategy? That did work out so well for Reggie or USC.

sooner518
6/13/2011, 10:08 PM
Sounds like he will fit right in there

TahoeSOONER
6/14/2011, 12:50 AM
What did they expect Pryor to do after the new coach couldn't even take the time to call his starting QB back? Fickell must have known Pryor was going to bounce to the NFL.

The whole thing is a disaster with a Urben Myer mixed in, which makes it more of a circus.

rekamrettuB
6/14/2011, 08:59 AM
What did they expect Pryor to do after the new coach couldn't even take the time to call his starting QB back? Fickell must have known Pryor was going to bounce to the NFL.

The whole thing is a disaster with a Urben Myer mixed in, which makes it more of a circus.

I'm thinking Fickel looked at it like this: Pryor was going to sit half the season at the very least and, from the information everyone has, probably the entire season. Keep your distance from the virus. He probably knew w/out calling him back that he would definitaly bolt and that is what's best for the program. He got to kick him off the team w/out kicking him off the team.

Sooner_Tuf
6/14/2011, 09:59 AM
Leave Fickel alone! He and he alone has to live with that name. You don't know if he is a mongoloid which is about the only way he couldn't have known what was happening.

If nothing else you think it would have come up in the last year or so. Like "Hey Boss, it's all over the news you're a lying cheating fooker".

salth2o
6/15/2011, 04:12 PM
Leave Fickel alone! He and he alone has to live with that name. You don't know if he is a mongoloid which is about the only way he couldn't have known what was happening.

If nothing else you think it would have come up in the last year or so. Like "Hey Boss, it's all over the news you're a lying cheating fooker".

Eleventy billion points for using "mongoloid".

SoonerMom2
6/15/2011, 08:53 PM
He is a perfect fit for OSU head coach -- see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil -- IOTW he will say what he is told by Gee and Smith. Note he now has a 2-year contract so IMHO they expect this to go on for some time with the NCAA -- could it be there is more info to come out?

nativesooner
6/16/2011, 11:53 AM
Fickell: I didn’t know about violations at OSU
By RUSTY MILLER, AP College Football Writer

The 37-year-old Fickell is a former Ohio State player...

Coach Fick probably got "hooked up" back in the day so of course he probably didn't think anything of the stuff going on recently.

Breadburner
6/16/2011, 12:13 PM
He made a turrible biness deesishen.....

CowboyMRW
6/16/2011, 06:57 PM
Marriage is bliss.
Therefore,
Marriage=Ignorance