PDA

View Full Version : Am I a party pooper for not taking great joy in The OSU collapse?

soonerchk
6/13/2011, 11:02 AM
Granted, I've always been a fan of TOSU since my dad was an alum, but I don't think it's all that hilarious to find out that another major college felt they had to lie and cheat and then cover it up to compete. To me, it's just sad.

Am I in the minority here?

BoulderSooner79
6/13/2011, 11:09 AM
schadenfreude is of German origin, but has become an American past-time.

I'm indifferent regarding tOSU, but I sort of feel the same as you. It doesn't help CFB to have all the strong programs found to be cheating. I'm not saying I wish they were not caught; I'm glad about that. Just prefer there was less cheating going on.

SoonerofAlabama
6/13/2011, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't say you are a party pooper. I do find it silly that a major college coach would cheat for this many years without making any effort to reform itself. I don't really find it funny, but I feel like since they did the crime, they need to do the time. That being said, I am not a big fan of Ohio State anyways and never will be. And just to state about what their punishment will be, I say it will be at least a two year bowl ban and loss of scholarships.

pweitkem
6/13/2011, 11:15 AM
soonerchk, you and I are in the same boat. I don't think what was going on at Ohio State is that uncommon nor do I think they should be getting the level of attention they are currently.

Should the coach, the AD and some of the players be gone? Yeah.

Should Ohio State be in the crosshairs of the NCAA and up for a potential death penalty/serious suspension? I don't think so.

If it were happening at a smaller/less successful program, the NCAA wouldn't be paying this much attention.

He knew they were getting tattoos - meh
Pryor got 20K - 40K - meh

soonerchk
6/13/2011, 11:19 AM
Oh, don't get me wrong - they deserve whatever sanctions they get for knowing and then lying about it. I'm just sad that another traditional power school thought it was okay and/or necessary to compete.

yermom
6/13/2011, 11:20 AM
what makes it so funny is the NCAA's antics of looking the other way during bowl season in letting those players participate in the Sugar Bowl only for all this extra stuff to come out after the fact

they look really dumb IMO

soonerchk
6/13/2011, 11:30 AM
what makes it so funny is the NCAA's antics of looking the other way during bowl season in letting those players participate in the Sugar Bowl only for all this extra stuff to come out after the fact

I can understand the NCAA wanting to let them play until it was determined there was a problem. I do not understand Ohio State allowing those players to participate knowing that there was a problem.

Gaack, I just defended the NCAA.:(

oumartin
6/13/2011, 11:31 AM
yep, anytime the NCAA fools come out looking silly it's a good day

meoveryouxinfinity
6/13/2011, 11:32 AM

yep, this is what i love to laugh at. They (NCAA) deserves it.

NormanPride
6/13/2011, 11:33 AM
I just like chaos if it doesn't involve me. :D

BoulderSooner79
6/13/2011, 11:35 AM
I have to go with the NCAA on that one. They can only make a decision based on the facts at hand, not speculation. However, I do think this will factor into the punishment phase since Tressel did know what was going on at the time and could have informed the NCAA.

Section 9
6/13/2011, 11:35 AM
It does not make me happy to see any program sink to what has been going on at tOSU. However, if they are going to cheat and lie and coverup, then they deserve all the punishment that the ncaa will hand out. I hope that they get punishment equal to the crime. That said, coaches who knowingly cheat or cover up should not be getting settlements from the university when they are fired or resign. Individual players and coaches should be the ones who take the punishment, not the whole team. I hope any team that takes the shortcut to winning is caught and punished. It is beyond my imagine that AU is not up to their eyeballs in cheating.

yermom
6/13/2011, 11:36 AM
I have to go with the NCAA on that one. They can only make a decision based on the facts at hand, not speculation. However, I do think this will factor into the punishment phase since Tressel did know what was going on at the time and could have informed the NCAA.

they let them play on the promise they would hang around to not play 5 games the next year?

who does that actually sound reasonable to?

NormanPride
6/13/2011, 11:37 AM
they let them play on the promise they would hang around to not play 5 games the next year?

People who make money off those players.

meoveryouxinfinity
6/13/2011, 11:38 AM

Totally asinine.

soonerloyal
6/13/2011, 11:39 AM
I agree with you. I'm not reveling in their misery at all.

I'm just laughing at the overreactions nationwide both pro and con. Holy Moly, the pageantry rivals that of the damn Casey Anthony trial down here. Seriously.

soonerchk

I thought that was why Tressel let them play, not the NCAA? Even though he knew they were all kinds of guilty.

3rdgensooner
but I don't think it's all that hilarious to find out that another major college felt they had to lie and cheat and then cover it up to compete. To me, it's just sad.
What if it were Mack Brown? Would that make you sad?

soonerchk
6/13/2011, 11:41 AM

I didn't shed any tears for USC, but I'm not really enjoying Auburn's misery. So no Texas or Michigan would make me laugh, everyone else I'd have more sympathy.

Jacie
6/13/2011, 11:43 AM

The NCAA knew all they needed before the Sugar Bowl but allowed them to play anyway. What the new knowledge brings is that had the NCAA known then, the debate would have been over allowing the buckeyes to field any team for that game.

The fact that they dropped the ball big time in allowing Terrell and company to play means they have to bend over backwards now to get it right and sanction what remains of that program accordingly.

BoulderSooner79
6/13/2011, 11:43 AM

That promise to stay around was just to Tressel. The whole thing was silly, but my point was that the NCAA can only act on what they know; I'm not saying I agree with their actions. If more comes out later, that's the way it goes. I can also understand the financial pressure of having the Sugar Bowl already scheduled and all the tickets bought and all the fan's travel planned booked. I'm sure all the Arkie fans are all butthurt though.

yermom
6/13/2011, 11:45 AM
I didn't shed any tears for USC, but I'm not really enjoying Auburn's misery. So no Texas or Michigan would make me laugh, everyone else I'd have more sympathy.

Auburn is another one that gets me. they declared Cam Newton ineligible for a day? i wonder how many thousands were in that handshake?

i've never much cared for the Alabama Aggies either though

soonerchk
6/13/2011, 11:46 AM
The NCAA knew all they needed before the Sugar Bowl but allowed them to play anyway. What the new knowledge brings is that had the NCAA known then, the debate would have been over allowing the buckeyes to field any team for that game.

The fact that they dropped the ball big time in allowing Terrell and company to play means they have to bend over backwards now to get it right and sanction what remains of that program accordingly.

They for sure didn't know there was a coverup and that's the biggest problem facing tOSU right now.

olevetonahill
6/13/2011, 11:50 AM

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Id be rolling in the dirt :D
tOSU not so much, Hell they've lost any respectability they had. Let em squirm fer a coupla years then work to earn it back.

NormanPride
6/13/2011, 11:51 AM
Auburn is another one that gets me. they declared Cam Newton ineligible for a day? i wonder how many thousands were in that handshake?

i've never much cared for the Alabama Aggies either though
What I don't get about Cam's ruling is that they ignored their own rules. According to the book, it doesn't matter if the player is unaware of shady dealings. If a family member or guardian is taking money then they're ineligible.

yermom
6/13/2011, 11:55 AM
yeah, it seemed like they were breaking new ground to me as well

CBUS_SOONER
6/13/2011, 11:56 AM
Move to columbus and deal with the typical tosu fan daily... I am enjoying every single second... actually what ever they get hit with wont b enough. I hope THE fans suffer. My own brother is a Tosu fan and I hope he suffers also... that's about it...

soonerchk
6/13/2011, 11:56 AM
What I don't get about Cam's ruling is that they ignored their own rules. According to the book, it doesn't matter if the player is unaware of shady dealings. If a family member or guardian is taking money then they're ineligible.

yeah, it seemed like they were breaking new ground to me as well

Me three. That one will be interesting to watch as well, but I'm not taking a whole lot of joy from it.

BoulderSooner79
6/13/2011, 12:32 PM
Even discounting the father/200k thing, Cam was the closest thing to a paid mercenary we've had in CFB. 1 semester at a school mostly to play ball - I'm sure he'll be a dedicated alumni.

soonerchk
6/13/2011, 01:00 PM
Even discounting the father/200k thing, Cam was the closest thing to a paid mercenary we've had in CFB. 1 semester at a school mostly to play ball - I'm sure he'll be a dedicated alumni.

I wonder how long it will take him to donate a weight room? Maybe even a library book?

Fraggle145
6/13/2011, 01:46 PM
I can understand the NCAA wanting to let them play until it was determined there was a problem. I do not understand Ohio State allowing those players to participate knowing that there was a problem.

Gaack, I just defended the NCAA.:(

AJ Green and Dez Bryant say "Hi."

SoonerMom2
6/13/2011, 02:04 PM

That is exactly what I found funny as well. Then you find out the emails went back warning Tressel at least to 2007 before Pryor showed up and he did nothing. But then he cheated at Youngstown State so why would OSU expect any difference.

Grew up a fan of OSU but when they hired Tressel, I quit rooting for them and frankly reading what some of their fans are saying to defend them is hilarious. Their fans are some of the first to go after other schools and have always considered themselves superior to the rest of us.

Excuse me while I enjoy this especially after some of the comments their President made on the BCS. They have been one of the programs where the NCAA has looked the other way and now it has bit them. What I found really funny is they lied to DeLaney, Big 10 Commissioner to get him on board so their ineligible players could play. Hearing now he is out for blood as well.

OSU deserves everything it is getting and yes I am taking pleasure in the fact I have family back there that everytime I went to visit dissed OU as being a 2nd rate university with no class. Excuse me but after reading comments from some of their fans versus ours, the lack of intelligent writing falls to the OSU fans on the Dispatch and ESPN message boards not to mention the fact I went to school with some of them where the word 'classy' would be a foreign language.

jk the sooner fan
6/13/2011, 02:23 PM
i'm indifferent to the whole thing - it's a little amusing to some degree, but i really haven't read enough about the whole issue to even have a true understanding of exactly what it is they're accused of doing

i think the only thing i really know about is that T. Pryor got paid for autographs and memorabilia - and I guess Tressel lied about what he knew and when he knew...anything outside of that, i'm clueless and just not motivated enough to educate myself on

BoomerJack
6/13/2011, 02:29 PM
I'm not gonna shed any tears for them because I know dmmn well nobody, I mean NOBODAY shed any tears for the Sooners in the wake of Switzer's downfall and subsequent years under Gibbs, Blake & Schenellenburger. Especially the last two.

Soonerfan88
6/13/2011, 03:25 PM
I'm more giddy about Tressel finally being outed for the scum he really is than tOSU. I'm pretty ambivalent about the university but their president, AD, and coach make it easy to laugh at their expense.

Chuck Bao
6/13/2011, 05:14 PM
No, I am not taking any joy out of it either. I am a big fan of college football and I hate anything that corrupts the game. But, tOSU deserves everything that is coming their way. If they don't, try telling North Carolina. I believe they suspended about half of their team for selling sports equipment.

Supporting college athletes through attending games and donating to the university is one thing, but buying their worn jersey and athletic supporters just seems so unseemly. Profiting from taking advantage of young college athletes through trading tattoos for sports memorabilia is certainly not a good thing and for shame on the coaches, AD, compliance and other university officials who let it go on. Just think if you were the parents of one of these young men. Regardless of NCAA sanctions, the ignoble character of the program should stick for at least a while.

texaspokieokie
6/13/2011, 05:39 PM
i'm indifferent to the whole thing - it's a little amusing to some degree, but i really haven't read enough about the whole issue to even have a true understanding of exactly what it is they're accused of doing

i think the only thing i really know about is that T. Pryor got paid for autographs and memorabilia - and I guess Tressel lied about what he knew and when he knew...anything outside of that, i'm clueless and just not motivated enough to educate myself on

this ^^^^

Chuck Bao
6/13/2011, 09:03 PM
I think a lot of the arguments are just silly. You are telling me that a university doesn't profit from graduates who go on to well-paying jobs. I think most of the best university actually track the salary of first year hires and then use it as a selling point for new students. That's almost the same thing. Athletes should be looking for the same thing, getting the best coaching for the next level.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/14/2011, 09:33 AM

That was ESPN's call.

soonerchk
6/14/2011, 11:28 AM
I think a lot of the arguments are just silly. You are telling me that a university doesn't profit from graduates who go on to well-paying jobs. I think most of the best university actually track the salary of first year hires and then use it as a selling point for new students. That's almost the same thing. Athletes should be looking for the same thing, getting the best coaching for the next level.

I'd like to see athletes looking at getting an education. I get very excited when our guys get drafted, but I also get excited when they graduate.

BigJerm7
6/14/2011, 12:53 PM

Agreed. Guilty by association. What's to stop another recruit's Dad to "influence" his son's decision, as long as the Dad doesn't tell the son why he should go to school there?

Sooner_Tuf
6/14/2011, 02:48 PM

You are right but at the same time it was decided that rule did not apply in this situation given the evidence available.

They had evidence that his father solicited money from Mississippi State. Their was no agreement for what it would be for as Mississippi State didn't negotiate. Of course we all know what it was for but there is no evidence to say it. So there was no illegal contract there.

Ultimately Newton went Auburn where everyone denies there was any demands and no money was paid. The mystery money Newton's father had remains a mystery I guess. But there was no evidence where he committed.

Everyone has a good idea what took place but no hard proof. That is why Cam has gotten away with it so far. Auburn's case is not closed but unless someone comes forward with something there won't be anything huge here.

I think the NCAA would love to hang him and Auburn. They have made that pretty clear.

ashley
6/14/2011, 03:17 PM
I hate it because it is not good for college football.

101sooner
6/14/2011, 04:21 PM
Yes.

tOSU fan's are in general, a vile and nasty bunch. They are closer to LSU's fan base than almost any other school. They are drunk, vulgar jack-asses. If you went to the LSU game and you've never been to Columbus, it is a remarkably similar experience.

That's just my humble opinion.

yermom
6/14/2011, 04:24 PM
i always kinda hated Michigan because of this ******* Wolverine fan i knew in school when i was first following college football, so i always kinda liked tOSU

that and they took out 2002 Miami, also hated from the same time period...

BoulderSooner79
6/14/2011, 04:45 PM
i

that and they took out 2002 Miami, also hated from the same time period...

That one will haunt Cane fans forever, so yes, tOSU should get some cred for that one (along with the ref that threw the PI flag).

soonerchk
6/15/2011, 09:17 AM
That one will haunt Cane fans forever, so yes, tOSU should get some cred for that one (along with the ref that threw the PI flag).

He's still on my Christmas Card list. :D

yermom
6/15/2011, 11:00 AM
i still heart Craig Krenzel

soonerchk
6/15/2011, 11:17 AM
i still heart Craig Krenzel

What about Herbie?