PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney eh?

JohnnyMack
6/13/2011, 09:30 AM
So I see Mitt Romney is handily leading the latest Gallup poll:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/148016/Romney-Support-Widens-Advantage-2012-Preferences.aspx

I'm curious what the Republicans here on Ye Olde Soonerfans think about Romney as a candidate and what his chances are to win a) the Republican nomination and b) the general election?

To me the saddest part of that poll is that Ron Paul is losing ground to people like Sarah Palin, Rick Santorum and Herman Cain.

yermom
6/13/2011, 09:40 AM
Ron Paul denounces the MIC. that's suicide.

the teabaggers and Palin lovers will surely split with vote with Romney on Mormonism and Romneycare

The Profit
6/13/2011, 09:47 AM
right winged wackos of the party will do everything in their power to derail Romney. As a Dem, I would fear Romney or Huntsman (another Mormon) more than any other GOP candidate. The nation will not elect one of the fire-breathers and/or teabaggers.

87sooner
6/13/2011, 09:55 AM
romney = more of the same ==> wrong direction

Sooner98
6/13/2011, 10:06 AM
This is a pretty weak field of candidates, but Romney appears to be the most electable and most presidential of them. The Mormon thing doesn't bother me that much, I'd take Mormonism over Obama's Black Liberation Theology any day of the week. I'm not sure how closely Romneycare resembles Obamacare, but if he doesn't promise to repeal the disaster of Obamacare, I might take a look at Huntsman or Pawlenty.

RACHEL MADDOW is my clone
6/13/2011, 10:12 AM
Obama's Black Liberation Theology

I thought he was a Muslim. :confused:

Blue
6/13/2011, 11:02 AM
right winged wackos of the party will do everything in their power to derail Romney. As a Dem, I would fear Romney or Huntsman (another Mormon) more than any other GOP candidate. The nation will not elect one of the fire-breathers and/or teabaggers.

Really nice rhetoric you liberal pantywaste.:rolleyes:

Blue
6/13/2011, 11:05 AM
And Romney would be fine if he wasn't such a people pleaser. He says what he thinks everyone wants to hear.

NormanPride
6/13/2011, 11:08 AM
Whore.

The Profit
6/13/2011, 11:13 AM
Really nice rhetoric you liberal pantywaste.:rolleyes:

This liberal is no panty waste. I've stomped on the back of many a conservatives' head. I simply stated my opinion. A moderate republican (e.g. Romney, Huntsman) has a chance to defeat Obama. A right winged wacko (e.g. Bachman, Palin, etc.) doesn't have a chance in hell.

pphilfran
6/13/2011, 11:17 AM
I still think it will be some no name...

pphilfran
6/13/2011, 11:18 AM
This liberal is no panty waste. I've stomped on the back of many a conservatives' head. I simply stated my opinion. A moderate republican (e.g. Romney, Huntsman) has a chance to defeat Obama. A right winged wacko (e.g. Bachman, Palin, etc.) doesn't have a chance in hell.

Panty waste...panty waste...panty waste....

The Profit
6/13/2011, 11:19 AM
I still think it will be some no name...

You might be right. A no name would be better than the group that will debate tonight.

pphilfran
6/13/2011, 11:22 AM
You might be right. A no name would be better than the group that will debate tonight.

As least Palin isn't involved...

sappstuf
6/13/2011, 11:28 AM

How do you feel about Rick Perry?

The Profit
6/13/2011, 11:33 AM
How do you feel about Rick Perry?

Most Texans I have spoken to don't like him. I also don't believe that, after the disaster that was George W. Bush, the nation is ready for another Texan or another Bush. His comments about Texas seceding from the union would not help him.

Blue
6/13/2011, 11:37 AM

You are a badass.

Penguin
6/13/2011, 11:38 AM
Is it panty waste or pantywaist? I need to know. "Pantywaist" is the cute stretchy thing while "panty waste" sounds like some form of excretion.

pphilfran
6/13/2011, 11:42 AM
You are a badass.

He has stomped me bad on several occasions...but he will buy you lunch to make up...

yermom
Is it panty waste or pantywaist? I need to know. "Pantywaist" is the cute stretchy thing while "panty waste" sounds like some form of excretion.

this is a good question. i'm not sure i've seen it officially in print, and i'm not sure the etymology either

pphilfran

I think pantywaist is the proper terminology...

Blue
6/13/2011, 11:45 AM
I like panty waste. Well i don't really like IT as in panty waste, but I like the spelling.

yermom
6/13/2011, 11:48 AM
I think pantywaist is the proper terminology...

http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19990427

i guess so

3rdgensooner
6/13/2011, 11:51 AM
Pantywaist implies granny panties cause other panties don't really have a waist.

yermom
6/13/2011, 11:55 AM
read my link, woman

The Profit
6/13/2011, 11:56 AM
You are a badass.

You're goddamn right, I am.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/13/2011, 11:56 AM
This is a pretty weak field of candidates, but Romney appears to be the most electable and most presidential of them. The Mormon thing doesn't bother me that much, I'd take Mormonism over Obama's Black Liberation Theology any day of the week. I'm not sure how closely Romneycare resembles Obamacare, but if he doesn't promise to repeal the disaster of Obamacare, I might take a look at Huntsman or Pawlenty.Huntman's dad is a GREAT man, as best as I can tell, but jr. is out-to-lunch. Pawlenty is sharp, and I believe he will take out Obamacare, if he gets erected.

sappstuf
6/13/2011, 12:01 PM
Most Texans I have spoken to don't like him. I also don't believe that, after the disaster that was George W. Bush, the nation is ready for another Texan or another Bush. His comments about Texas seceding from the union would not help him.

With the Texans you probably hang out with, I'm not surprised.. ;) Perry is strongest where Obama is the weakest.. The economy. Comparing the economy and employment of Texas to the rest of the United States over the past couple of years is a slam dunk for Perry.

Texas adds 732,800 jobs in 10 years; no other state tops 100,000

The inventory of private-sector jobs in Texas increased by 732,800 between April 2001 and the same month this year, according to an On Numbers analysis of new federal employment data.

No other state registered an increase of more than 100,000 private-sector jobs during the decade. Only 19 states and the District of Columbia posted any gains at all.

http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjournals/on-numbers/scott-thomas/2011/05/texas-adds-732800-jobs-in-10-years.html

He is certainly a viable candidate.

3rdgensooner
6/13/2011, 12:01 PM
read my link, womanThat doesn't change my stance. When you say "gay", do you always mean it in the 1920s vernacular?

yermom
6/13/2011, 12:05 PM
That doesn't change my stance. When you say "gay", do you always mean it in the 1920s vernacular?

now you just aren't making any sense

The Profit
6/13/2011, 12:06 PM
Huntman's dad is a GREAT man, as best as I can tell, but jr. is out-to-lunch. Pawlenty is sharp, and I believe he will take out Obamacare, if he gets erected.

You don't even know why you oppose Obamacare. By opposing Obamacare, does that mean you support the status quo with insurance companies (i.e. pre-existing exclusions, no ability to transport, etc.).

soonerscuba
6/13/2011, 12:12 PM
With the Texans you probably hang out with, I'm not surprised.. ;) Perry is strongest where Obama is the weakest.. The economy. Comparing the economy and employment of Texas to the rest of the United States over the past couple of years is a slam dunk for Perry.How did Perry plug his deficit? Texas is the prettiest girl right now, but portends a fate like Ireland.

pphilfran
6/13/2011, 12:18 PM
You don't even know why you oppose Obamacare. By opposing Obamacare, does that mean you support the status quo with insurance companies (i.e. pre-existing exclusions, no ability to transport, etc.).

Pre existing conditions and transportability are simple issues...A one paragraph long piece of legislation and they are no longer an issue...

yermom
6/13/2011, 12:20 PM
i'm still not even sure "what's in it"

sappstuf
6/13/2011, 12:29 PM
How did Perry plug his deficit? Texas is the prettiest girl right now, but portends a fate like Ireland.

How exactly is that? Texas doesn't do budget shortfalls. Every two years is the first and only years discussed and passed. No debt can carry over and no assumption is made that revenue will increase for the next budget because that year will be a brand new budget. They DO NOT borrow money.

Are revenues down? Yes. Isn't that true of all states? Yes. Has this happened to Texas before where they will have to cut spending? Yes, in 2003. Did they balance the books without becoming Ireland? Yes.

There is no way you can honestly compare Texas to any failing European state.

NormanPride
6/13/2011, 12:34 PM
No, Texas is doing better than most fiscally. Perry is still a dolt, though.

6/13/2011, 12:37 PM
Texas is rawking! Perry is still a dolt, though.Neener neener...(of course he is, haha)

NormanPride
6/13/2011, 12:39 PM
Nothing about Texas rocks, William. You should know better! ;)

Bourbon St Sooner

You don't even know why you support Obamacare, since all Obamacare did was funnel more money to the insurance companies, forcing people to buy their product.

GKeeper316
And Romney would be fine if he wasn't such a people pleaser. He says what he thinks everyone wants to hear.

thats what i have observed. he reminds me of colin powell back in the day...

reporter "sir what do you think on issue x"

powell "let me get some poll data and i'll get back to you"

romney seems a lot more moderate and willing to compromise than most of the rest of the pub field, but i just dont think i can entrust the oval office to anyone that takes the book of mormon seriously.

6/13/2011, 12:43 PM
Nothing about Texas rocks, William. You should know better! ;)Dallas Mavs=Kings of the Hill.

Poor LeBron. What will he do next?

Bourbon St Sooner
6/13/2011, 12:44 PM
Dallas Mavs=Kings of the Hill.

Poor LeBron. What will he do next?

Yeah, but their best player is a German. Just another reason to hate texass.

soonerscuba
6/13/2011, 12:54 PM
How exactly is that? Texas doesn't do budget shortfalls. Every two years is the first and only years discussed and passed. No debt can carry over and no assumption is made that revenue will increase for the next budget because that year will be a brand new budget. They DO NOT borrow money.

Are revenues down? Yes. Isn't that true of all states? Yes. Has this happened to Texas before where they will have to cut spending? Yes, in 2003. Did they balance the books without becoming Ireland? Yes.

There is no way you can honestly compare Texas to any failing European state.Texas did $4.3b deficit for 2010-11 and is looking at a shortfall of $20b+ for the next two years which they have to work out. They plugged the previous budget with federal stimulus after Gov Perry advocated secession before taking it, which won't exist this time around, noticed I never said they borrowed money. There was a time when Ireland was considered the belle of the ball in terms of European business, I think it serves as a timely reminder that low-tax, low-regulation governments aren't immune to massive failure, and Texas is going to choose to cut Medicaid and education and pretend there won't be consequence, I wish them luck on their gamble.

6/13/2011, 12:56 PM
Yeah, but their best player is a German, with a Polish-sounding name!Yeah, huh, what's up with that? effing Perry!

GKeeper316
6/13/2011, 12:56 PM
Texas did $4.3b deficit for 2010-11 and is looking at a shortfall of $20b+ for the next two years which they have to work out. They plugged the previous budget with federal stimulus after Gov Perry advocated secession before taking it, which won't exist this time around, noticed I never said they borrowed money. There was a time when Ireland was considered the belle of the ball in terms of European business, I think it serves as a timely reminder that low-tax, low-regulation governments aren't immune to massive failure, and Texas is going to choose to cut Medicaid and education and pretend there won't be consequence, I wish them luck on their gamble.

what he said...

and **** texas.

XingTheRubicon
6/13/2011, 01:01 PM
Romney said a few weeks ago that the very first thing he would do as President was repeal obamacare.

GKeeper316
6/13/2011, 01:02 PM
Romney said a few weeks ago that the very first thing he would do as President was repeal obamacare.

which is hilarious since obamacare is basically romney's own plan he proposed a couple years ago...

OutlandTrophy
6/13/2011, 01:03 PM
the Supreme Court might beat him to it

SpankyNek
6/13/2011, 01:06 PM
This is from a Christian website, explaining the Mormon belief system:

These are Mormon beliefs

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, known as the Mormons, teaches that God the father used to be a man on another planet, that he became a God by following the laws and ordinances of that God on that planet and came to this world with his wife (she became a goddess), and that they produce a spirit offspring in heaven. These spirit offspring, which includes Jesus, the devil, and you and me, are all brothers and sisters born in the preexistence. The preexistence spirits come down and inhabit babies at the time of birth and their memories of the preexistence are lost at the time. Furthermore, faithful Mormons, who pay a full 10% tithe of their income to the Mormon church through Mormon temples, have the potential of becoming gods of their own planets and are then able to start the procedure over again.
LINK (http://carm.org/mormon-beliefs)

How will this work for the christian conservatives?

Once again, I predict a 3rd party teabagger will cement this race for Obama.

6/13/2011, 01:08 PM
Romney said a few weeks ago that the very first thing he would do as President was repeal obamacare.Recently he said he believes in man-caused Global Warming, and he might be susceptible to taxes or fines on business, ala Cap-in-Trade type stuff.

I'm certainly not saying i wouldn't vote for him if he got the nomination. Long time to go before the primary.

GKeeper316
6/13/2011, 01:11 PM
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, known as the Mormons, teaches that God the father used to be a man on another planet, that he became a God by following the laws and ordinances of that God on that planet and came to this world with his wife (she became a goddess), and that they produce a spirit offspring in heaven. These spirit offspring, which includes Jesus, the devil, and you and me, are all brothers and sisters born in the preexistence. The preexistence spirits come down and inhabit babies at the time of birth and their memories of the preexistence are lost at the time. Furthermore, faithful Mormons, who pay a full 10% tithe of their income to the Mormon church through Mormon temples, have the potential of becoming gods of their own planets and are then able to start the procedure over again.

its only slightly less crazy than the scientologists... or is it???????

XingTheRubicon
6/13/2011, 01:12 PM
which is hilarious since obamacare is basically romney's own plan he proposed a couple years ago...

he said his plan was different because it was operated on a state level, no one was forced to buy insurance, and Mass wanted it...and obamacare is federal and the US citizens don't want it.

His eyes shifted a lot when he explained it....and he's by far the (R's) most qualified and electable candidate. Yipppeeeeee.

6/13/2011, 01:20 PM
....and he's by far the (R's) most qualified and electable candidate. Yipppeeeeee.still WAY early

XingTheRubicon
6/13/2011, 01:21 PM
its only slightly less crazy than the scientologists... or is it???????

No, mormons are actually, imo, an impressive group of people. Go google Utah's crime rate, then google the crime rate of cesspools of NV, CA and so on.

Romney also said on Piers Morgan (what an incredibly gay name) that his religion would have zero effect on how he governs. He did drop both hands under the desk right before he said it, however.

6/13/2011, 01:25 PM
Romney also said on Piers Morgan (what an incredibly gay name) that his religion would have zero effect on how he governs. He did drop both hands under the desk right before he said it, however.As compared with the Obear's religion...wait!

SpankyNek
6/13/2011, 01:26 PM
No, mormons are actually, imo, an impressive group of people. Go google Utah's crime rate, then google the crime rate of cesspools of NV, CA and so on.

Romney also said on Piers Morgan (what an incredibly gay name) that his religion would have zero effect on how he governs. He did drop both hands under the desk right before he said it, however.

But will the Christians buy it?

I have no opinion either way...personally I like his cap and trade and socialized medicine ideas. I would still vote against him, but he might get some of the moderate vote.

sappstuf
6/13/2011, 01:28 PM
Texas did $4.3b deficit for 2010-11 and is looking at a shortfall of $20b+ for the next two years which they have to work out. They plugged the previous budget with federal stimulus after Gov Perry advocated secession before taking it, which won't exist this time around, noticed I never said they borrowed money. There was a time when Ireland was considered the belle of the ball in terms of European business, I think it serves as a timely reminder that low-tax, low-regulation governments aren't immune to massive failure, and Texas is going to choose to cut Medicaid and education and pretend there won't be consequence, I wish them luck on their gamble.

$20+ billion was always the very high end.. It ended up being about $15 billion. Oh, and that stimulus money? Texas is waaay ahead of you. This is from last Thursday:

The state’s $172.3 billion budget — with State Comptroller Susan Combs said Wednesday she could certify with existing proposals being passed —cuts $15 billion from the current biennium —$12 billion of it being federal stimulus money.

Texas has the intestinal fortitude to do what our federal government cannot or will not do... Cut spending when revenue falls. Departments do not get an automatic 4% increase in funding because it is a new year. Every budget they must justifiy their budget. I know that concept is a weird, wacky right-wing way to run a government.....

You are right about Medicaid, but not for the reasons you think. Medicaid is going to bankrupt all the states if Obamacare is not reversed. It will move 18 million people to Medicaid and Obama expects the states to pick up the tab as time goes on. That is one of the reasons, besides the mandate, so many states are challenging it's legality. I'm not sure any states will be able to afford it in the end.

From a constitutional perspective, protesting the Medicaid expansion is the weaker legal argument than challenging the mandate, and the Virginia-based suit isn't even making this claim.

The reason is that courts have generally adopted the theory that as long as states are accepting money from the federal government for a given program, they have to follow its rules.

But Paul Clement, the former solicitor general who represented the states, argued that the Medicaid money represents such a large amount of their budget, that they can't realistically refuse to accept it. Furthermore, he said that the problem with the law is that it doesn't merely say that if states don't expand Medicaid, they don't get any new money. It says, if states don't expand Medicaid, they lose all their Medicaid funding, even that which existed before the expansion passed. If Congress had tied the choice to accept new beneficiaries to the new money instead of the preexisting funding, Clement argued, they wouldn't be challenging the law.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/06/constitutionality-obamacares-medicaid-expansion-0#ixzz1PBLB35Fk

SpankyNek
As compared with the Obear's religion...wait!

Shouldn't you be deriding him for his birth certificate....wait!

Really, you should have to work with fact if you are expecting any kind of rational response/discussion,

GKeeper316

just because a delusional state of mind has positive consequences, that doesn't mean the delusion is acceptible.

The Profit
6/13/2011, 01:33 PM
$20+ billion was always the very high end.. It ended up being about $15 billion. Oh, and that stimulus money? Texas is waaay ahead of you. This is from last Thursday:

Texas has the intestinal fortitude to do what our federal government cannot or will not do... Cut spending when revenue falls. Departments do not get an automatic 4% increase in funding because it is a new year. Every budget they must justifiy their budget. I know that concept is a weird, wacky right-wing way to run a government.....

You are right about Medicaid, but not for the reasons you think. Medicaid is going to bankrupt all the states if Obamacare is not reversed. It will move 18 million people to Medicaid and Obama expects the states to pick up the tab as time goes on. That is one of the reasons, besides the mandate, so many states are challenging it's legality. I'm not sure any states will be able to afford it in the end.

Tuck Fexas

6/13/2011, 01:35 PM
Really, you should have to work with fact if you are expecting any kind of rational response/discussion,true, what religion are we talking about? You can pick one for the Obear, and make a case for that one as His. We can discuss from that point, if you wish.

sappstuf
6/13/2011, 01:37 PM
Tuck Fexas

Does that include your beloved LBJ or even Ike?

JohnnyMack
6/13/2011, 01:37 PM

Try Detroit, St. Louis and Memphis for high crime rates. Not necessarily places you'd call bastions of progressive thought.

JohnnyMack
6/13/2011, 01:38 PM
true, what religion are we talking about? You can pick one for the Obear, and make a case for that one as His. We can discuss from that point, if you wish.

I'm convinced Obama is an atheist but is a politician so he plays the game.

The Profit
6/13/2011, 01:40 PM
I'm convinced Obama is an atheist but is a politician so he plays the game.

and what convinces you of that?

SpankyNek
6/13/2011, 01:51 PM
true, what religion are we talking about? You can pick one for the Obear, and make a case for that one as His. We can discuss from that point, if you wish.

100% Christian for the Commander-in-Chief.

He has been a member of a Christian church for a long time (My Case, as being a member of a Christian church is the only true referential proof of one's "Christian-ness").

Response?

JohnnyMack
6/13/2011, 01:53 PM
and what convinces you of that?

His mother was an Atheist. It's just a gut feeling really.

ITsYUjv_aEA

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20015403-503544.html

soonerscuba
6/13/2011, 01:58 PM

You are right about Medicaid, but not for the reasons you think. Medicaid is going to bankrupt all the states if Obamacare is not reversed. It will move 18 million people to Medicaid and Obama expects the states to pick up the tab as time goes on. That is one of the reasons, besides the mandate, so many states are challenging it's legality. I'm not sure any states will be able to afford it in the end.That's a lot of words to pretend that Texas didn't plug his deficits with stimulus after histrionics and secession talk. I don't consider cutting education and healthcare for the poor in a state with no income tax to be intestinal fortitude, but that is just personal preference. Like I said, Texas is doing better than most, but this is simply isn't a sustainable model of governance.

sappstuf
6/13/2011, 02:00 PM
His mother was an Atheist. It's just a gut feeling really.

ITsYUjv_aEA

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20015403-503544.html

Obama goes to church for the same reason most older men to go church. Their wives make them.....

Before I get negged to Neptune, it is a joke.

6/13/2011, 02:06 PM
Naaah, nobody's really sure what religion, if any the Obear is. He's an anti-American and anti-Colonialist, if either can be called religions.

soonerscuba
6/13/2011, 02:08 PM
Naaah, nobody's really sure what religion, if any the Obear is. He's an anti-American and anti-Colonialist, if either can be called religions.Does it bother you that the Founders were by the strictest of definitions anti-Colonialist?

Condescending Sooner
6/13/2011, 02:10 PM
That's a lot of words to pretend that Texas didn't plug his deficits with stimulus after histrionics and secession talk. I don't consider cutting education and healthcare for the poor in a state with no income tax to be intestinal fortitude, but that is just personal preference. Like I said, Texas is doing better than most, but this is simply isn't a sustainable model of governance.

Nearly all the states have a balanced budget requirement. The federal government is the model of not being sustainable.

JohnnyMack
6/13/2011, 02:10 PM
Obama goes to church for the same reason most older men to go church. Their wives make them.....

Before I get negged to Neptune, it is a joke.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_cg1H8TDwZgY/Sb16qnFBiOI/AAAAAAAAAhg/jxzKbq5zCHk/s400/Rockwell%27s+Sunday+Morning.jpg

sappstuf
6/13/2011, 02:14 PM
That's a lot of words to pretend that Texas didn't plug his deficits with stimulus after histrionics and secession talk. I don't consider cutting education and healthcare for the poor in a state with no income tax to be intestinal fortitude, but that is just personal preference. Like I said, Texas is doing better than most, but this is simply isn't a sustainable model of governance.

And what is? California? Which of Texas and Cali do you believe is closest to needing a federal bailout? I will give you a hint, one of the state's governors wrote a letter to the Treasury Secretary asking for a guarantee of funding if they couldn't get it. The initials were not RP.

Texas picked up 4 congressional seats because people are moving there as fast as possible because of jobs. Almost a million people left New York. Is that what you consider sustainable?

6/13/2011, 02:19 PM
Does it bother you that the Founders were by the strictest of definitions anti-Colonialist?Does it bother you that the founders wrote the Constitution, and established the type of government and country that have been the most successful in the history of man? IOW, why be such an Anti-American? What's in it for you?

soonerscuba
6/13/2011, 02:27 PM
And what is? California? Which of Texas and Cali do you believe is closest to needing a federal bailout? I will give you a hint, one of the state's governors wrote a letter to the Treasury Secretary asking for a guarantee of funding if they couldn't get it. The initials were not RP.

Texas picked up 4 congressional seats because people are moving there as fast as possible because of jobs. Almost a million people left New York. Is that what you consider sustainable?You're using California as a straw man. The Texas education system is terrible, not that money is the answer but you eventually pay a price for that via the ballot or the quality of your work force. Texas is the best place to find a job in the country right now, but I just don't think their legislative environment is sustainable, what are they going cut next time? Rick Perry has signed off on stimulus, this makes him a hypocrite, not a fool, that is all I am saying.

TitoMorelli
6/13/2011, 02:41 PM
You're using California as a straw man. The Texas education system is terrible, not that money is the answer but you eventually pay a price for that via the ballot or the quality of your work force. Texas is the best place to find a job in the country right now, but I just don't think their legislative environment is sustainable, what are they going cut next time? Rick Perry has signed off on stimulus, this makes him a hypocrite, not a fool, that is all I am saying.

So how is California a straw man in the argument? Incidentally, Texas's education system apparently does a better job of educating its students, especially those who are black or Hispanic, than most states - especially California.

http://nationsreportcard.gov/

GKeeper316
6/13/2011, 03:16 PM
Does it bother you that the founders wrote the Constitution, and established the type of government and country that have been the most successful in the history of man? IOW, why be such an Anti-American? What's in it for you?

200 or so years of america in no way compares to the egyptian or roman empires. not even close.

The Profit
6/13/2011, 03:22 PM
Does that include your beloved LBJ or even Ike?

It definitely includes LBJ. He sure as hell wasn't beloved by me. As I look back at Ike (I was just a small child when he was president), he gets better and better each time. He had a 90% tax on the very wealthy. He warned us about the military industrial complex. He had the foresight to realize that America needed a national interstate highway system (right winged wackos today would call that socialism). Ike wasn't so bad.

SpankyNek
6/13/2011, 03:27 PM
So how is California a straw man in the argument? Incidentally, Texas's education system apparently does a better job of educating its students, especially those who are black or Hispanic, than most states - especially California.

They are a straw-man because it is a diversion from Texas, i.e. "Think they're bad, look at this "socialist" pile of crap over here"...how about comparing them to the equally liberal Massachusetts?

soonercruiser
6/13/2011, 03:39 PM

As Dems and libs, you LWers are clueless as to what Conservative think about Romney!
Sooo - you weren't asked profit!

soonercruiser
6/13/2011, 03:40 PM
romney = more of the same ==> wrong direction

Bingo!
Romney a McLame clone!

Wayyyyy too early for you LWers to worry about who the Obaminator will face!
(Anybody should do!)

soonercruiser
6/13/2011, 03:42 PM
Panty waste...panty waste...panty waste....

:D
Wasted panty! Wasted panty!

The Profit
6/13/2011, 03:44 PM
Wasted panty! Wasted panty!

You are such a weird human being.

soonercruiser
With the Texans you probably hang out with, I'm not surprised.. ;)
He is certainly a viable candidate.

This!

Once again, I predict a 3rd party teabagger will cement this race for Obama.If that(shi*) happens, what do you predict will happen after that?

Bourbon St Sooner
6/13/2011, 03:48 PM
If that(shi*) happens, what do you predict will happen after that?

A 4th Bush term.

soonercruiser
6/13/2011, 03:49 PM
100% Christian for the Commander-in-Chief.

He has been a member of a Christian church for a long time (My Case, as being a member of a Christian church is the only true referential proof of one's "Christian-ness").

Response?

True Christians do not preach HATE!

True Christians do not deaminize and LIE, like the boy who would be King!

SpankyNek
If that(shi*) happens, what do you predict will happen after that?

One small step toward Utopia.

Find me a true Christian.

SpankyNek
6/13/2011, 03:50 PM

True Christians do not deaminize and LIE, like the boy who would be King!

Let he who is without sin.....

soonercruiser
6/13/2011, 03:53 PM

By definition, we all are sinners.
Only one was sinless.
(Even Jesus only encouraged the rich man to give everything to the poor. He did not obligate it; nor legislate it!)
But some keep saying they are pure of heart, when their heart is black as coal....with bad intentions!
(No pun inteneded, as BHO is only half....)

6/13/2011, 04:00 PM
One small step toward Utopia.Who is your employer, and how did you become so delusional?

6/13/2011, 04:03 PM
Only one was sinless.
(Even Jesus only encouraged the rich man to give everything to the poor. He did not obligate it; nor legislate it!)

Isn't it tougher for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a RICH MAN to enter the KINGDOM OF HEAVEN???

The Profit
6/13/2011, 04:07 PM
Only one was sinless.
But some keep saying they are pure of heart, when their heart is black as coal....with bad intentions!
(No pun inteneded, as BHO is only half....)

Actually, in Matthew, Jesus gave us a choice. He said, "If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."

SpankyNek
6/13/2011, 04:08 PM
Who is your employer, and how did you become so delusional?

I work part time for the University of Houston (And attend college full time) and my wife works in the land department of a large NG transmission company.

I have in the past worked for large corporations and small businesses.

I am not infatuated with money like the common American, my quality of life definition is, I am sure, very different from yours.

The Profit
6/13/2011, 04:12 PM
Isn't it tougher for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a RICH MAN to enter the KINGDOM OF HEAVEN???

Here is how Jesus put it, and he didn't beat around the proverbial bush. From the Gospel of Mark.

And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God! 24 And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God! 25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

The Profit
6/13/2011, 04:15 PM

I hope he doesn't say the pope. That clown turned his head while young boys were being molested.

GKeeper316
6/13/2011, 04:31 PM
ya once again... christ could not have been more clear about wealth and faith, and yet i see people who claim to be christians all the time defending thier disgusting and very very sinful capitalist greed.

so once again i pose the question... how do modern american christians reconcile thier greed and thier faith? i'm honestly really curious to know.

sappstuf
6/13/2011, 04:37 PM

He seems to have ignored your post. I found this an interesting post back when the Wisconsin teacher strikes were going on..

So how to compare educational achievement between two states with such dissimilar populations? In data analysis this is usually done by treating ethnicity as a "covariate." A very simple way to do this is by comparing educational achievement between states within the same ethnic group. In other words, do black students perform better in Wisconsin than Texas? Do Hispanic students perform better in Wisconsin or Texas? White students? If Wisconsin's kids consistently beat their Texas counterparts, after controlling for ethnicity, then there's a strong case that maybe Texas schools ought to become a union shop.

2009 4th Grade Math

White students: Texas 254, Wisconsin 250 (national average 248)
Black students: Texas 231, Wisconsin 217 (national 222)
Hispanic students: Texas 233, Wisconsin 228 (national 227)

2009 8th Grade Math

White students: Texas 301, Wisconsin 294 (national 294)
Black students: Texas 272, Wisconsin 254 (national 260)
Hispanic students: Texas 277, Wisconsin 268 (national 260)

2009 4th Grade Reading

White students: Texas 232, Wisconsin 227 (national 229)
Black students: Texas 213, Wisconsin 192 (national 204)
Hispanic students: Texas 210, Wisconsin 202 (national 204)

2009 8th Grade Reading

White students: Texas 273, Wisconsin 271 (national 271)
Black students: Texas 249, Wisconsin 238 (national 245)
Hispanic students: Texas 251, Wisconsin 250 (national 248)

2009 4th Grade Science

White students: Texas 168, Wisconsin 164 (national 162)
Black students: Texas 139, Wisconsin 121 (national 127)
Hispanic students: Wisconsin 138, Texas 136 (national 130)

2009 8th Grade Science

White students: Texas 167, Wisconsin 165 (national 161)
Black students: Texas 133, Wisconsin 120 (national 125)
Hispanic students: Texas 141, Wisconsin 134 (national 131)

To recap: white students in Texas perform better than white students in Wisconsin, black students in Texas perform better than black students in Wisconsin, Hispanic students in Texas perform better than Hispanic students in Wisconsin. In 18 separate ethnicity-controlled comparisons, the only one where Wisconsin students performed better than their peers in Texas was 4th grade science for Hispanic students (statistically insignificant), and this was reversed by 8th grade. Further, Texas students exceeded the national average for their ethnic cohort in all 18 comparisons; Wisconsinites were below the national average in 8, above average in 8.

Perhaps the most striking thing in these numbers is the within-state gap between white and minority students. Not only did white Texas students outperform white Wisconsin students, the gap between white students and minority students in Texas was much less than the gap between white and minority students in Wisconsin. In other words, students are better off in Texas schools than in Wisconsin schools - especially minority students.

CrimsonKel
6/13/2011, 04:38 PM
At least Romney has a record of success leading both public and private sector organizations. My impression is that he is not about the culture war. Most wingnuts are obsessed with their culture war and don't give a crap about anything else so Romney may not be very appealing to them. Hopefully he won't have to pander to the nuts to get elected. Its sad that a Republican candidate can't run solely on his record of successful leadership and must pander to crazy people.

sappstuf
6/13/2011, 04:39 PM
It definitely includes LBJ. He sure as hell wasn't beloved by me. As I look back at Ike (I was just a small child when he was president), he gets better and better each time. He had a 90% tax on the very wealthy. He warned us about the military industrial complex. He had the foresight to realize that America needed a national interstate highway system (right winged wackos today would call that socialism). Ike wasn't so bad.

Picking a Repub over a Dem?? Blasphemy.

The Profit
6/13/2011, 04:39 PM
At least Romney has a record of success leading both public and private sector organizations. My impression is that he is not about the culture war. Most wingnuts are obsessed with their culture war and don't give a crap about anything else so Romney may not be very appealing to them. Hopefully he won't have to pander to the nuts to get elected. Its sad that a Republican candidate can't run solely on his record of successful leadership and must pander to crazy people.

I could probably support Romney. Maybe someone like him could really unite people.

MR2-Sooner86
6/13/2011, 04:41 PM
To me the saddest part of that poll is that Ron Paul is losing ground to people like Sarah Palin, Rick Santorum and Herman Cain.

:(

Rick Santorum scares the hell out of me. I doubt anything will happen but if he were to get in...Christian morals shoved down our throats and we're going to war with Iran.

so once again i pose the question... how do modern american christians reconcile their greed and their faith? i'm honestly really curious to know.

I'm a greedy capitalist atheist so it doesn't bother me one bit.

The Profit
6/13/2011, 04:42 PM
:(

Rick Santorum scares the hell out of me. I doubt anything will happen but if he were to get in...Christian morals shoved down our throats and we're going to war with Iran.

I'm a greedy capitalist atheist so it doesn't bother me one bit.

I truly respect the honesty of your second reply and the warning of your initial statement.

sappstuf
6/13/2011, 04:44 PM
One small step toward Greece.

I think it would be a large step, but I will agree.

6/13/2011, 04:48 PM
Bingo!
Romney a McLame clone!

Wayyyyy too early for you LWers to worry about who the Obaminator will face!
(Anybody should do!)heh, Mark Levin was talking about the Obear going against an orange juice can, and getting throttled.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/13/2011, 04:49 PM
ya once again... christ could not have been more clear about wealth and faith, and yet i see people who claim to be christians all the time defending thier disgusting and very very sinful capitalist greed.

so once again i pose the question... how do modern american christians reconcile thier greed and thier faith? i'm honestly really curious to know.

I'm a greedy Christian. But I'm Catholic. 10 Hail Mary's and I'm absolved. Pass the wine. Only the good stuff of course. I'll give that rot gut to the po folk. See how giving I am.

6/13/2011, 04:52 PM
At least Romney has a record of success leading both public and private sector organizations. My impression is that he is not about the culture war. Most wingnuts are obsessed with their culture war and don't give a crap about anything else so Romney may not be very appealing to them. Hopefully he won't have to pander to the nuts to get elected. Its sad that a Republican candidate can't run solely on his record of successful leadership and must pander to crazy people.I believe the only way for Obumblephk to win this time around if if there is a perceived conservative running 3rd party or GDI.

6/13/2011, 04:56 PM
Santorum scares you more than the Obear(Obumblephk)? Be a good American citizen then, and don't vote.

soonerscuba
6/13/2011, 06:47 PM
He seems to have ignored your post. I found this an interesting post back when the Wisconsin teacher strikes were going on..I felt SpankyNek did a good job describing it. Also, another example would be bringing up variance between Texas another, lower performing state focusing on ethnicity and pretending it is relevant. Texas can pretend that it's demographics and budget will attract people interested in education and there will always be money to cut, but I just don't see this as workable, continual practice. I could be dead wrong, only time will tell.

C&CDean
6/13/2011, 08:21 PM
God, does it ever end? You people are ****ed. ****led I tell you. In. The. A.

jk the sooner fan
6/13/2011, 08:32 PM
have minds been changed? has this been resolved?

C&CDean
6/13/2011, 08:34 PM
Yes. I'm voting for you Jon. Prez. Of the whole ****ing world. Wouldn't that be bitchin'?

SicEmBaylor
6/13/2011, 08:34 PM
The Doctors Paul are both lions among lambs. There is no question from watching this debate tonight that Ron Paul is the only real conservative among the bunch.

C&CDean
6/13/2011, 08:35 PM
The Doctors Paul are both lions among lambs. There is no question from watching this debate tonight that Ron Paul is the only real conservative among the bunch.

Who would actually spend one minute of their life watching a debate betwixt the tripe/offal that call themselves "candidates" in this world? Not aye.

XingTheRubicon
6/13/2011, 08:36 PM
Try Detroit, St. Louis and Memphis for high crime rates. Not necessarily places you'd call bastions of progressive thought.

That's odd, those cities have voted liberal in every potus election that i can remember. Are you saying black liberals are not progressive?

SicEmBaylor
6/13/2011, 08:39 PM
Who would actually spend one minute of their life watching a debate betwixt the tripe/offal that call themselves "candidates" in this world? Not aye.

To be honest, anyone seriously watching a debate this early either has to as part of their job or they lead a sad pathetic life. I need not tell you which applies to me.

jk the sooner fan
6/13/2011, 08:59 PM
Yes. I'm voting for you Jon. Prez. Of the whole ****ing world. Wouldn't that be bitchin'?

i'm actually not running this time

Sooner_Tuf
6/13/2011, 09:02 PM
200 or so years of america in no way compares to the egyptian or roman empires. not even close.

Which of these three statements you have made in this thread is the most stupid? I can't decide.

1) America does not compare two fallen empires?

2) General* Powell not answering political questions?

3) Looking down on Utah for remaining a nice place to live?

On an unrelated note while Romney is a Mormon most Mormons sure don't seem to like him much. They didn't support him last time around. Also Utah's successes have nothing to do with him, he was the leader of Massachusetts not Utah.

* I bolded the title General as a little hint to the answer.

JohnnyMack
6/13/2011, 09:55 PM
To be honest, anyone seriously watching a debate this early either has to as part of their job or they lead a sad pathetic life. I need not tell you which applies to me.

:bsmf:

TitoMorelli
6/13/2011, 10:00 PM
He seems to have ignored your post. I found this an interesting post back when the Wisconsin teacher strikes were going on..

That quote came from Iowahawk, I assume - I'd read that one myself. He is also one of the funniest SOB's blogging.

TitoMorelli
6/13/2011, 10:16 PM
I felt SpankyNek did a good job describing it. Also, another example would be bringing up variance between Texas another, lower performing state focusing on ethnicity and pretending it is relevant. Texas can pretend that it's demographics and budget will attract people interested in education and there will always be money to cut, but I just don't see this as workable, continual practice. I could be dead wrong, only time will tell.

Actually, it's much more realistic than, say, using ACT scores - which those defending Wisconsin's schools did, ignoring that those students taking the ACT there were better-than-average students who were applying to out-of-state and/or private schools. Or that better students overall take the college aptitude tests.

Do you deny that a higher percentage of students of certain ethnic backgrounds in this country face certain academic challenges? To some English is not a first language, others come to school without a decent breakfast.

Incidentally, the study that I've linked also views performance specifically as to children of low income households, regardless of race. Texas schools kicked Cali's azz there, too.

Sooner_Tuf
6/13/2011, 11:25 PM

The Federal Aid Highway Act passed in 1956 by Eisenhower was done in the name of National Security. It was not for Mid-westerners to be able to travel to the beach in luxury. It so the US Military could move assets around in a timely manner.

No right winger would see that as socialism. Right wingers see things as socialism when the left wingers pass out freebies to the lazy at the expense of the working.

EnragedOUfan
6/14/2011, 01:01 AM
I think I'll finally give in and give up: I'm voting Republican!

I'm voting for the most hardcore right winger available: Bachman, Pawlenty, Cain:

I want to see Medicare ended: If Americans are too poor to save for retirement, that's just tough...... If we have to settle for vouchers and that poor elderly gentleman uses up his vouchers, well he should have saved and planned better.

I want Obamacare repealed: Let the Insurance companies run things, everything functions best when Corporations are in charge. Also, people with preexisting conditions are just sh#t out of luck! Too bad for them!

The EPA has to go: I'm sick of things being overregulated. I've had enough. We need to let the private sector runs their businesses however they please. If they happen to pollute drinking water, well so be it. Drinking water is not important. If a factory happens to emit harmful exhausts to the neighboring town and presents harm to the people of that town, that's just a myth!

End jobless benefits! The unemployed can fend for themselves........

Lastly, I say we totally get rid of public schools! The teachers are just horrible at what they do.......Privatize all schools.

And most importantly, can we please finally get rid of Social Security? If their was ever a bigger fraud in US history, it is Social Security..........Social Security needs to be privatized ASAP.....

bigfatjerk
6/14/2011, 06:47 AM

I agree and I didn't plan on watching it last night but I turned around and it was on the first question I heard asked was which is better Pepsi or Coke? I should have turned it off after that point.

BoomerJack
6/14/2011, 12:42 PM
I've said these two things before and I'll them again:

1. As to that line-up on CNN last night, I haven't seen a worse line up since the "62 Mets.

2. The next Governor of Texas that will be elected POTUS hasn't been born yet.

GKeeper316
6/14/2011, 12:47 PM
Which of these three statements you have made in this thread is the most stupid? I can't decide.

1) America does not compare two fallen empires?

2) General* Powell not answering political questions?

3) Looking down on Utah for remaining a nice place to live?

On an unrelated note while Romney is a Mormon most Mormons sure don't seem to like him much. They didn't support him last time around. Also Utah's successes have nothing to do with him, he was the leader of Massachusetts not Utah.

* I bolded the title General as a little hint to the answer.

1. america has been around for less than 250 years. the romans ran **** for over 2000, the egyptians long before that. america is young and slowly dying already.

2. i was referring to colin powell after he had retired and was being mentioned as a pub candidate for prez. i apologize for not being more clear.

3. if weed was legalized and we all smoked it daily, the violent crime rate would drop to almost nothing. post hoc ergo procter hoc.

6/14/2011, 12:58 PM
I've said these two things before and I'll them again:

1. As to that line-up on CNN last night, I haven't seen a worse line up since the "62 Mets.
2. The next Governor of Texas that will be elected POTUS hasn't been born yet. Even an orange juice can should get anyone's vote against Obama.

6/14/2011, 01:02 PM
Even an orange juice can should get anyone's vote against Obama.

You voted for McCain/Palin. haha

6/14/2011, 01:04 PM
You voted for McCain/Palin. hahaYou voted for Obeary & Biteme, haha...wait

No, it's NOT funny

6/14/2011, 01:07 PM
You voted for Obeary & Biteme, haha...wait

No, it's NOT funny

And unlike the guys you LAST VOTED FOR, I am actually proud I voted for Obama.

SicEmBaylor
6/14/2011, 02:22 PM
I voted for neither McCain nor Obama, and I couldn't be prouder of my vote.

bigfatjerk
6/14/2011, 02:23 PM
I voted for neither McCain nor Obama, and I couldn't be prouder of my vote.
Is Romney really any different from those 2? I agree with you I voted for neither.

MR2-Sooner86
6/14/2011, 02:57 PM
As I said elsewhere, he's trying to say all the right things and BS his way around.

He said last night he supported a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. The former Governor of Massachusetts supports a national ban on gay marriage. I'm not buying it for one second.

SicEmBaylor
6/14/2011, 03:01 PM
Is Romney really any different from those 2? I agree with you I voted for neither.

He's not fundamentally different at all. The difference between he and Obama is of policy not ideology.

As for all of these debates, what annoys me most is the idea that complex problems can be discussed in 30 second sound bite answers.

Sooner_Tuf
6/14/2011, 03:25 PM
1. america has been around for less than 250 years. the romans ran **** for over 2000, the egyptians long before that. america is young and slowly dying already.

2. i was referring to colin powell after he had retired and was being mentioned as a pub candidate for prez. i apologize for not being more clear.

3. if weed was legalized and we all smoked it daily, the violent crime rate would drop to almost nothing. post hoc ergo procter hoc.

1. You would like for our society to be more like the romans or the egyptians? Besides the obvious downside to being ruled in such a way in thousands of years they accomplished what besides their own demise? Did they bring us antibiotics? Flight? They could stack rocks with the best of them but is that really such an accomplishment when you have a couple of thousand years and slave labor?

2. Colin Powell never ran for any office. He stated many times he didn't want to. He really never answered any questions because he really never wanted to be involved or give encouragement that he would be a candidate.

3. Never go full retard and if you do try not to take up permanent residence.

GKeeper316
6/14/2011, 03:33 PM
1. You would like for our society to be more like the romans or the egyptians? Besides the obvious downside to being ruled in such a way in thousands of years they accomplished what besides their own demise? Did they bring us antibiotics? Flight? They could stack rocks with the best of them but is that really such an accomplishment when you have a couple of thousand years and slave labor?

2. Colin Powell never ran for any office. He stated many times he didn't want to. He really never answered any questions because he really never wanted to be involved or give encouragement that he would be a candidate.

3. Never go full retard and if you do try not to take up permanent residence.

antibiotics were invented in england, the wright brothers just continued davinci's work, and the roman empire was the safest and most feared society the world has ever known.

no colin powell never ran for office. he was being mentioned as a possible candidate a few years ago, but when it became apparent that he really didn't know the first thing about politics, he dropped out of sight.

i have no idea what you're trying to say with the full retard thing, but its obvious you know jack **** about history, ancient, recent or otherwise.

Sooner_Tuf
6/14/2011, 03:48 PM
antibiotics were invented in england, the wright brothers just continued davinci's work, and the roman empire was the safest and most feared society the world has ever known.

no colin powell never ran for office. he was being mentioned as a possible candidate a few years ago, but when it became apparent that he really didn't know the first thing about politics, he dropped out of sight.

i have no idea what you're trying to say with the full retard thing, but its obvious you know jack **** about history, ancient, recent or otherwise.

I see what happened to this great roman empire? Where is it today? Most feared? What would the criterion for that be? You know it is possible that at that time in history most of the people of the globe probably never even heard of the romans much less feared them.

A lot of people feared the Third Reich, was that a successful cultural move to you?

Colin Powell never ran for office, by choice. There really isn't anything else to say.

6/14/2011, 03:51 PM
A lot of people feared the Third Reich, was that a successful cultural move to you?

I now really love this thread.

Carry on.

OklahomaTuba
6/14/2011, 04:00 PM
I'd like to be the filling in a Palin/Bachmann sammich......

JohnnyMack
6/14/2011, 04:01 PM
Bachmann?

Really?

I wouldn't touch her with your dick.

MR2-Sooner86
6/14/2011, 04:02 PM
I'd gladly watch both of them scissor.

3rdgensooner
6/14/2011, 04:08 PM
I'm sure Bachmann and Palin appreciate the sincere support of their intellectual contributions to the Republican field.

The Profit

Yuck...warts and space and yap, yap, yap. Not for me.

Bourbon St Sooner
Bachmann?

Really?

That's cause you like little boys.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/14/2011, 04:14 PM
Yuck...warts and space and yap, yap, yap. Not for me.

Yup. A couple of gagballs would definitely be required for the job, but I'd hit it like a champ.

OklahomaTuba
6/14/2011, 04:14 PM
Bachmann?

Really?

Well with her being female and you not having a dick, that actually makes a lot of sense...

soonercoop1
6/14/2011, 04:41 PM
So I see Mitt Romney is handily leading the latest Gallup poll:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/148016/Romney-Support-Widens-Advantage-2012-Preferences.aspx

I'm curious what the Republicans here on Ye Olde Soonerfans think about Romney as a candidate and what his chances are to win a) the Republican nomination and b) the general election?

Would never vote for Romney and right now would only vote for Cain or Bachman in that order...Repub elites want it to be Romney but no way will he be the choice...waiting for Perry to enter the race...

SicEmBaylor
6/14/2011, 05:03 PM

Their campaign bus would have to be a short one.

The Profit
6/14/2011, 06:28 PM
I'm for Bachmann or Santorium. One is about as creepy as the other.

SicEmBaylor
6/14/2011, 07:06 PM
Santorum scares the ever loving **** out of me.