PDA

View Full Version : Doris Kern, you fool,

MsProudSooner
6/13/2011, 08:03 AM
this is the biggest danger to America:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/13/news/economy/college_tuition_middle_class/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2

SoCaliSooner
6/13/2011, 08:42 AM
Become an illegal alien... (http://www.finaid.org/otheraid/undocumented.phtml)

yermom
6/13/2011, 08:51 AM
there are a few problems here

1) they will give out loans like they are candy. no questions asked. well, almost, anyway.

2) with people getting degrees like history, communications, or art. what do you do that can possibly make you enough money to easily pay like back like $60k+ in loans?

even at OU, which is pretty cheap compared to lots of places, i can see how you could easily screw yourself financially for a long time, and that's assuming you actually get your degree. some places $60k might be for one year.

with the government backing making it just about risk free to give out loans, it's easy to just cut funding to schools and let them raise tuition every year and continue to bloat out

i'm sure the education bubble is coming up next.

yermom
6/13/2011, 08:54 AM
Become an illegal alien... (http://www.finaid.org/otheraid/undocumented.phtml)

this is brilliant, really. get your degree, then go back home :D

sooneron
6/13/2011, 08:56 AM
What is going on with tuition, especially at the smaller liberal arts colleges is criminal. We just shot a vid for Hamilton and Franklin & Marshall. Both of those schools cost the better part of $50K a year. Ridonkulous.

yermom
6/13/2011, 09:00 AM
my last year at OU was about $8k ('10-'11)

my first year was about $2k ('94-'95) :O

The Profit
6/13/2011, 09:12 AM
It is all about the overall plan to kill the middle class.

sooneron
6/13/2011, 09:13 AM
I'm pretty sure my frosh year, the lower div courses were around 30 bucks an hour!
They were around a hondo when I left.
Van Horne and Horton really ****ed up OU.

OUMallen
6/13/2011, 09:46 AM
there are a few problems here

1) they will give out loans like they are candy. no questions asked. well, almost, anyway.

I think this is a massive problem. They give them out like candy because they aren't dischargeable in bankruptcy. That's a big risk that is wiped away, and it makes them give money much more freely.

That, plus (and I know this is grad school...) but take OCU law for instance. If you go straight loans for 3 years, you're going to end up about $140k+ in debt, and that doesn't cover your summers. What if you don't get a top-notch job? You're going to be saddled with debt for the rest of your life.

StoopTroup
6/13/2011, 09:56 AM
How many of you actually got your Degrees in 4 years or less?

OutlandTrophy
6/13/2011, 09:58 AM
not me but I'd like to thank the Oklahoma taxpayer for picking up my tab.

OUMallen
6/13/2011, 10:01 AM

Technically it took me five years, but I wasn't on campus after 4.5.

StoopTroup
6/13/2011, 10:07 AM
I think that's what pissed me off. Once you get enrolled there was no possible way to complete a degree within the 4 years and many classes you needed were reserved for other students in some cases and the Schools could care less.

yermom
6/13/2011, 10:14 AM
should have been a physics major. we didn't have these problems.

graduating in 4 years would have been tough just from all the classes i had to take, but everything would need to go pretty perfect to do it, and that assumes you don't change majors or anything

or course, one of the guys in my last physics classes was taking 30 hours that semester. i have no idea what sort of pace he was on, he was kinda touched though.

badger
6/13/2011, 10:18 AM
It's kind of nice hearing less old farts be all like "You should just work your way through college with a summer job like I did 50 years ago" because it's becoming common knowledge how that just isn't gonna cut it anymore. :D

:( But I feel bad for current students. Tuition just is never gonna come down once it gets raised, it seems.

yermom
6/13/2011, 10:29 AM
not until people stop showing up

badger
6/13/2011, 10:48 AM
not until people stop showing up

Ja, students have a funny way of showing how unaffordable college is --- by enrolling in crazy-high numbers to the point that, like someone already mentioned, there isn't room in the classes you need to take

NormanPride
6/13/2011, 11:01 AM
It's because everyone can afford debt. If you made student loans illegal then 80% of colleges would be empty.

pphilfran
6/13/2011, 11:06 AM
It's kind of nice hearing less old farts be all like "You should just work your way through college with a summer job like I did 50 years ago" because it's becoming common knowledge how that just isn't gonna cut it anymore. :D

:( But I feel bad for current students. Tuition just is never gonna come down once it gets raised, it seems.

I paid around 13 per hour at Cameron in the early 70's...I don't think I ever had a semester that cost over $500 for tuition, books, and fees...

I was probably making $5 an hour at the old grocery store...

badger
6/13/2011, 01:33 PM
OU has a few tricks up their sleeve that other colleges are using as well. Most notorious are the high fees. Tuition? Lowest in the Big 12 (unless OSU is)! Fees? D'oh!

OU also (I think) requires freshmen to live on campus unless they get an exemption to live at home with family. That way, they have to pay for meal plans and student housing to the university. Oklahoma's Promise, OHLAP, Oklhaoma Higher Learning Access Plan, free-tuition-for-poor-families-that-meet-grade-requiresment, whatever you want to call it, I am pretty sure that does not cover room and board, just the tuition and fees.

Books! Books, omg. Many are now doing printout packets from local copy shops, that you can doodle all over, because there's no returning them for buyback time. My final semester's worth of books was at least $500. Why in the eff do they include CD's, DVD's and attachable workbook that the professor doesn't use?! Oh sh!t, I folded the cover. Well, there goes half the book's value, for a total buyback of... $1. One dollar, are you sh!tting me. I paid $20 for this book, and you are going to resell it for at least $15. A dollar. ****.

The
6/13/2011, 01:58 PM
University is for smart people and the rich. More people should be going to Vo-Techs than college anyway.

<---- State Regent's Scholar. College debt = $0.

NormanPride
6/13/2011, 02:02 PM
University is for smart people and the rich. More people should be going to Vo-Techs than college anyway.

<---- State Regent's Scholar. College debt = $0.
I actually agree with this, but I believe what a "Vo-Tech" college is should be redefined. University degrees should be reserved for those that intend to further the knowledge of the human race, rather than work 9-5 in a job doing a business' taxes or writing code for a manufacturing firm.

yermom
6/13/2011, 02:05 PM
OU has a few tricks up their sleeve that other colleges are using as well. Most notorious are the high fees. Tuition? Lowest in the Big 12 (unless OSU is)! Fees? D'oh!

OU also (I think) requires freshmen to live on campus unless they get an exemption to live at home with family. That way, they have to pay for meal plans and student housing to the university. Oklahoma's Promise, OHLAP, Oklhaoma Higher Learning Access Plan, free-tuition-for-poor-families-that-meet-grade-requiresment, whatever you want to call it, I am pretty sure that does not cover room and board, just the tuition and fees.

Books! Books, omg. Many are now doing printout packets from local copy shops, that you can doodle all over, because there's no returning them for buyback time. My final semester's worth of books was at least $500. Why in the eff do they include CD's, DVD's and attachable workbook that the professor doesn't use?! Oh sh!t, I folded the cover. Well, there goes half the book's value, for a total buyback of... $1. One dollar, are you sh!tting me. I paid $20 for this book, and you are going to resell it for at least $15. A dollar. ****.

i discovered the internet for books the last couple of semesters

3 different books i got over $100 off by being, um, creative :D

i had one instructor that just used a packet from the print shop that was like $10 bucks. that was awesome

SpankyNek
6/13/2011, 02:05 PM
I actually agree with this, but I believe what a "Vo-Tech" college is should be redefined. University degrees should be reserved for those that intend to further the knowledge of the human race, rather than work 9-5 in a job doing a business' taxes or writing code for a manufacturing firm.
Agreed.

University is about citizen-making, not "job preparation"

MsProudSooner
6/13/2011, 02:07 PM
Agreed.

University is about citizen-making, not "job preparation"

But it shouldn't be only for the rich.

And how much does vo-tech cost? It's a two-fold problem. Rising education costs and stagnant or sinking middle class income.

OhU1
6/13/2011, 02:16 PM

Yes.

SoCaliSooner
6/13/2011, 02:18 PM

I did.

Spent two years at a JUCO and then transferred to a private college. I had a full time job as an EMT and my senior year was working, going to school and entering Paramedic school and testing for the LA County sheriffs department, as well as trying to get into the seminary. My last 3 years of school are literally a blur. I knew very few people my last two years and can maybe recall 2 or 3 of my professors.

Right now we throw money into a 529 plan our credit union set up, so that should take care of my kids college education but I plan on making them work for it as well.

OutlandTrophy
6/13/2011, 02:24 PM
And how much does vo-tech cost?

it's basically $1 per hour.

badger
6/13/2011, 02:26 PM
It kind of saddens me to see some students getting state scholarships to state schools then finding jobs in other states. It's like uber tax states funding pensions for years for retirees only for the retirees to move to a tax-free (or lower tax) state after they're done earning their pension.

It is completely in their rights and liberties and pursuits of happinesses or whatever to do that, yes, but it's just kind of sad.