PDA

View Full Version : FSU Game Central...

NoleMan
6/12/2011, 08:48 PM
REALLY looking forward to this game. And maybe even some payback! :pop:

Since you guys were SO hospitable to us last year, game excepted, I'll try to answer questions you may have, or find them out, during the course of the next couple of months.

I saw some comments on hotels. Unfortunately, they JACK the prices up in Tally during game. It's been relaxed a little, but historically, they look for two night minimums, and the average rate/night might approach $180 or more. Not that you can't find better deals. Look local in Tally first, then work your way out.

Now..I live in Nashville, so some of this may or may not work for you, but you can find some VERY reasonably priced hotels around Marianna, which is about 50 minutes west of Tally. I usually stay at the Mainstay or Fairfield, but there's a Hampton. Prices are usually $70/night. Thomasville or Bainesbridge GA might be options as well, and they're less than an hour away.

Not much to do in Tally frankly. Like Norman. BUT...the "scenery" is NOT to be missed. You'll be coming off the plains there and sayin' "DAYUM". (No rockin' the boots, but you'll see a different flavor!) Damn sure get in town early and get to the stadium and just soak it in. You'll be welcomed pretty much as you're not a 'Cane or Gator, so kind of novelty. And with the butt whuppin' last year, some reverence and fear!

The Board I hang out on (http://www.theterritory.org) has a GREAT tailgating spot and I'm sure they'll welcome feriners.

Gotta run. Post, or email questions, over the coming months and I'll try to help out as much as I can!

SoonerOX
6/12/2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks for stopping by with the help offers.

sooner n houston
6/13/2011, 06:33 AM
I lived in Tallahassee for 6 years. What a great little town. Nole fans are the only fans that I have ever been around that are even more rabid than Sooner fans! :D
I loved eating at Sonny's BBQ when I lived there. They are a chain across the south. Used to serve up all you can eat, with a different meat each night of the week. Good stuff! Oh and an old style krispy kreme, back before they went national.

NoleMan
6/13/2011, 07:01 AM
I lived in Tallahassee for 6 years. What a great little town. Nole fans are the only fans that I have ever been around that are even more rabid than Sooner fans! :D
I loved eating at Sonny's BBQ when I lived there. They are a chain across the south. Used to serve up all you can eat, with a different meat each night of the week. Good stuff! Oh and an old style krispy kreme, back before they went national.

The good news, if that is good news, is it will likely be pretty hot in September. People certainly don't want to wear very much in that heat. ;)

VA Sooner
6/13/2011, 07:44 AM
One of the biggest games of the season for both of our programs.

Here's to a good game.

soonerloyal
6/13/2011, 08:04 AM
I lived in Tallahassee for 6 years.
I loved eating at Sonny's BBQ when I lived there. They are a chain across the south. Used to serve up all you can eat, with a different meat each night of the week. Good stuff!

The Sonny's I've tried down here so far (Haines City, Winter Haven, Orlando, Clermont) have been fine, but the Que isn't quite as good against places at home like (early) Jake's Rib, Van's, Rib Crib (oh, their SLAW!) & J.R.'s. Just my opinion and my homesickness I guess. :O But for FL BBQ it's the best I've tried.

If we make it up to Tallahassee, I'll sure stop in at one though. Which one did you go to?

agoo758
6/13/2011, 10:07 AM
In 2003, I rejoiced when a Sonny's opened up in Lafayette! In 2004, I cried when it closed. :(

owenfieldreams
6/13/2011, 10:14 AM
We're staying @ the Fairfield in Marianna. Flying into Panama City.

yukonsooner
6/13/2011, 02:16 PM
We're flying into Tampa and staying at a BestWestern in Madison

sooner n houston
6/13/2011, 02:39 PM
If we make it up to Tallahassee, I'll sure stop in at one though. Which one did you go to?

Back then, '88 till '93, there was only one. It was on the main drag off of I-10 (27th maybe).

GKeeper316
6/13/2011, 03:20 PM

tampa's airport makes will rogers look like an outhouse.

Peach Fuzz
6/13/2011, 04:10 PM
tampa's airport makes will rogers look like an outhouse.
well WRWA is actually regional and Tampa's is INTL

Looking forward to the game! My uncle played for FSU so I relish any chance of them getting beat, especially from my Sooners :D

NoleMan
6/13/2011, 05:16 PM
FYI, I started a thread on the Territory. Rather than keep cutting and pasting, you can see some of the suggestions of others there.

http://www.theterritory.org/phorum/read.php?5,154221,154221#msg-154221

goingoneight
6/13/2011, 07:47 PM
Does Bobbuh Bawduhn have a dadgum riverboat we can crash in?

NoleMan
6/18/2011, 08:03 AM
There have been a number of good suggestions posted on the Territory. Check out that link.

One thing I would recommend that's different if you have time is to go to down to Wakulla Springs and go swimming. About an hour or so drive.

If you've never seen springs in Florida, you're in for a treat. Crystal clear water. This one happens to be the deepest one in the world.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/wakullasprings/

http://www.bikeflorida.org/Bike%20Florida%202005/wakulla%20springs.jpg

olevetonahill
6/18/2011, 08:08 AM
Nole you seem like a good dude Now with that said Heres to a good Ole fashion azz whooping on yer Noles :D

We gonna have a Big ole durnkin watch party here at the shack :cool:

101sooner
6/18/2011, 08:52 AM
There have been a number of good suggestions posted on the Territory. Check out that link.

One thing I would recommend that's different if you have time is to go to down to Wakulla Springs and go swimming. About an hour or so drive.

If you've never seen springs in Florida, you're in for a treat. Crystal clear water. This one happens to be the deepest one in the world.

Nope. I just spent 3 years in SE Georgia. There are alligators down there. No swimming. ;)

Peach Fuzz
6/18/2011, 09:28 AM
Wakulla springs is def worth a boat ride at... I remember seeing that bigazz gator Old Joe or something in the museum there and having nightmares as a kid :(

NoleMan
6/18/2011, 03:26 PM
Nole you seem like a good dude Now with that said Heres to a good Ole fashion azz whooping on yer Noles :D

You already got your azz whopping last year! Our turn.:P

Soonermagik
6/18/2011, 10:30 PM
I've got a lot of respect for FSU. You guys are my 2nd favorite team, but I hope you get another beating at the hands of OU. I'll be in Destin the 2nd week of August, but can't stay long enough for the game.

OrlandoSooner
6/18/2011, 11:23 PM
The Sonny's I've tried down here so far (Haines City, Winter Haven, Orlando, Clermont) have been fine, but the Que isn't quite as good against places at home like (early) Jake's Rib, Van's, Rib Crib (oh, their SLAW!) & J.R.'s. Just my opinion and my homesickness I guess. :O But for FL BBQ it's the best I've tried.

It sounds like you are relatively close to me. My favorite 2 BBQ spots are 1) Cecil's on Orange Avenue in Orlando and 2) 4Rivers one in Winter Park and a new one in Winter Garden. I think you will like both of these more than Sonny's.

The Maestro
6/21/2011, 10:31 AM
Me and Boones are considering flying into Panama City and going to a cool place on the water, appropriately named, Schooner's. Any Sooner fans in town on Thursday night, let's plan on meeting up there!

http://www.schooners.com/

Drive in to Tally on Friday and figure it out...seems the bars aren't near the campus anywhere, but I always prefer to ask locals the best places to go. Saturday is gonna be a blast! Hope I can make it!

soonerloyal
6/21/2011, 06:14 PM
It sounds like you are relatively close to me. My favorite 2 BBQ spots are 1) Cecil's on Orange Avenue in Orlando and 2) 4Rivers one in Winter Park and a new one in Winter Garden. I think you will like both of these more than Sonny's.

We're near Four Corners/Clermont. The one in WG, is it anywhere near Winter Garden Village or off 50? That I can find blindfolded. LOL

Any FL Sooners on here ever watch games at LR Selmon's in Tampa?

NoleMan
6/21/2011, 10:56 PM

I grew up in Central Florida in Polk County. Lived in Orlando for 12 years.

Get over ASAP to Peebles in Auburndale. You'll thank me later.:P

Also, back in the day, and it may have changed, these two were very good:

Brodus' Bar-B-Que in Groveland, Florida
Bubbalou's Bodacious Bar-B-Que in Orlando

Not a Sonny's fan. Kind of like their chicken, but that's about it.

Sooner in Tampa
6/22/2011, 05:55 AM

I have watched several games at Selmons with Steve and the Suncoast Sooners

OrlandoSooner
6/22/2011, 10:39 AM
We're near Four Corners/Clermont. The one in WG, is it anywhere near Winter Garden Village or off 50? That I can find blindfolded. LOL

Yes, it is at 50 and Dillard/Daniels road. It sits next to the Checkers.

I grew up in Central Florida in Polk County. Lived in Orlando for 12 years.

Get over ASAP to Peebles in Auburndale. You'll thank me later.:P

Also, back in the day, and it may have changed, these two were very good:

Brodus' Bar-B-Que in Groveland, Florida
Bubbalou's Bodacious Bar-B-Que in Orlando

Not a Sonny's fan. Kind of like their chicken, but that's about it.

I'll have to try Peebles next time I'm headed that way. I read up on it and it looks like my kind of place. Thanks!

Sooner24
6/22/2011, 11:40 AM
We're staying @ the Fairfield in Marianna. Flying into Panama City.

We're flying into Tallahassee and staying at The Hotel Duval.

cjames317
6/23/2011, 09:59 AM
Day game or night game?

olevetonahill
6/23/2011, 10:16 AM
Earlier it had been set for 7 er 7:30
m Now its showing TBA:confused:

JLEW1818
6/23/2011, 10:18 AM
let's just move the game to Norman.... ?

:)

NoleMan
6/26/2011, 08:47 AM
I'll have to try Peebles next time I'm headed that way. I read up on it and it looks like my kind of place. Thanks!

You won't be disappointed. Fair warning, though. They close after the 4th of July and open back after Labor Day. AND...they are only open Thursdays through Saturdays. Open for lunch though as well.

Sooner24
7/1/2011, 04:08 PM
Shula's steak house any good?

StoopTroup
7/1/2011, 04:15 PM
Shula's steak house any good?

Yes

BTW....checkout this baby!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/36/111933058_79889b4303.jpg

Sooner in Tampa
7/6/2011, 11:49 AM
Driving from Tampa on Sat Morning...loading up the Expedition with tailgate gear...looking for a hotel somewhere about an hour east of Tally

yukonsooner
7/6/2011, 11:56 AM
Driving from Tampa on Sat Morning...loading up the Expedition with tailgate gear...looking for a hotel somewhere about an hour east of Tally

We are flying into Tampa on Friday, and then heading north. We are staying at a Best Western in Madison. That's supposed to be about an hour from Tally

Sooner in Tampa
7/6/2011, 12:04 PM
We are flying into Tampa on Friday, and then heading north. We are staying at a Best Western in Madison. That's supposed to be about an hour from Tally
Yeah...I am looking at Madison, it's 89 miles to Tally once you get on the 10 from the 75...the Best Western is $190 a night...Days Inn is $56. Probably going to go with Days Inn since we are just stopping by to check in and then head to the game...and then just crash after the game...get up and drive back to Tampa.

We need to have a cold one!!

SoonerNomad
7/6/2011, 12:13 PM
NoleMan - I like your code talk on your thread on territory.org. "I have some people I know" coming and looking for suggestions on where to eat. You didn't happen to mention the people were thousands of OU fans. Funny stuff.

I lived in Tallahassee for two years (1999 to 2001) and never had a problem finding stuff I liked. I also never thought of it as a small town. Having lived in small towns in Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Georgia, Wyoming and Arizona (as a son of an Air Force brat and becoming a nomad of sorts in my older years), I always hated the traffic in Tallahassee and thought of it as too big. It was very difficult getting downtown during the election controversy in 2000.

The Bagel Bagel and Po' Boys mentioned by someone in your thread are both down by the courthouse so we ate at those quite often for lunch. There was also a great place around the corner (I can't remember the name) that served Cuban food which was quite good. I also liked many of the bars but I always felt too old and now ten years later I am too old. Won't keep me out of them.

I am going to the game with a FSU fan and will be staying at his house. I am quite optimistic that he will be able to point me in the direction of some new places that need to be hit. If you are staying for a few days there was a great steakhouse out in the woods near Quincy or on the way (30 to 40 min. west) that I really enjoyed.

I am fired up about this trip. Get to see old friends and get to see the Sooners play live for the 10th time in my 50 years. I don't believe this game could get enough hype.

yukonsooner
7/6/2011, 04:23 PM
Yeah...I am looking at Madison, it's 89 miles to Tally once you get on the 10 from the 75...the Best Western is $190 a night...Days Inn is $56. Probably going to go with Days Inn since we are just stopping by to check in and then head to the game...and then just crash after the game...get up and drive back to Tampa.

We need to have a cold one!!

Seriously, $190. I made reservations about 6 months ago and I'm paying a whole lot less than $190. No way I'd pay that much either.

Fraggle145
7/6/2011, 05:06 PM
So it looks like my sister-in-law got me some tickets... Muaha!

gamedaytravel
7/6/2011, 06:23 PM
Anyone looking for a reasonably priced hotel room in Tallahassee, I have several rooms at the Hotel Duval (a Marriott hotel) in downtown, the Comfort Inn North or the Sleep Inn Northwest. Please e-mail me at [email protected] for details if you are interested.

Sooner in Tampa
7/7/2011, 06:26 AM
Seriously, $190. I made reservations about 6 months ago and I'm paying a whole lot less than $190. No way I'd pay that much either.
Yes sir...go to Travelocity or hotels.com and check out the hotels in Madison.

I was afaid of this...bastards in the area know this is a HUGE game.

BTW...has anybody taken the lead on setting up a tailgate area for SF.com folks yet?

NoleMan
7/18/2011, 07:33 PM
Opponent Profile (http://www.theterritory.org/phorum/read.php?5,158002)

StoopTroup
7/18/2011, 07:40 PM
Landry's not a slouch? I wonder what some folks around here would be saying if he was our starter after going 5-7 like :mack: did?

NoleMan
7/19/2011, 07:12 AM
Landry's not a slouch? I wonder what some folks around here would be saying if he was our starter after going 5-7 like :mack: did?

He made a believer out of me in Norman last year!

Despite some pretty lofty preseason rankings for FSU (I've seen #1, #4 or at least top 10-15 in most of the polls), I don't buy it. I, for one, am cautiously optimistic. I think we're improved, maybe top 15 is probable. In fact, I think we'll be better than last year offensively by year end despite losing Ponder. EJ Manuel reminds me of a BIG Charlie Ward. Kind of in the Vince Young mold while in college athletically. Watch him contend for the Heisman by next year.

Most pundits give OU that game, and I'd tend to agree with Jones and Broyles in the mix. I think the RB corps is suspect just because it's new and the season is just starting, and you might not be able to run very well. Doak can be a HOSTILE place for opponents, and the crowds is going to be jacked for this one.

Add back the payback factor...

OU still wins, but I think it will be a different game than last year.

AlbqSooner
7/19/2011, 07:29 AM

WTF Howard??? I thought that weekend was the Ho Down.:confused:
No. Wait.:O

yukonsooner
7/19/2011, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=NoleMan;3295133]He made a believer out of me in Norman last year!

Add back the payback factor...

Careful about the payback factor. Nebraska had the same idea and we see how that turned out. Then * went on to have a 5-7 season.

soonercoop1
7/19/2011, 06:37 PM
One of the biggest games of the season for both of our programs.

Here's to a good game.

As long as LJ plays well sans the pick 6s OU wins going away...

Sooner in Tampa
7/20/2011, 11:23 AM
Any ideas yet where to tailgate?

NoleMan
7/21/2011, 08:13 PM
Any ideas yet where to tailgate?

The Territory has a nice site near the stadium. Several of us stopped by the Soonerfans.com site last year. Maybe they'll welcome ferigners.
:D

NoleMan
9/13/2011, 05:26 PM
Ok! It's on fellers! Should be a lot different game this year.

Anyone going to the game? Need any info on Tally we can research fer ya?

Sabanball
9/13/2011, 05:53 PM
Gary Danielson on Finebaum today: "FSU had 48 sacks last year- but only one in the game in Norman. They won't slow down Landry Jones, but I like FSU at home."

Soonermagik
9/13/2011, 06:10 PM
I heard OU is favored by 4. I just have a feeling that's a Vegas trap. OU likely wins by 10+.

The Maestro
9/13/2011, 06:20 PM
If OU runs the ball with any success, game over. FSU will have to respect it, Landry gets rid of the ball quickly anyway...FSU might score, but they won't be able to keep up.

And this, of course, assumes no crazy *** turnovers or kick returns for touchdowns allowed, either...which is saying something at this point.

RacerX
9/13/2011, 09:12 PM
Noleman - Polk County? My parents are from Winter Haven and I have an Aunt that lives there. I've eaten Peebles BBQ..it is good.

Mr. Peanut
9/13/2011, 09:29 PM
NOLEMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He He He He He He He.....

Hey Sooner fans - Met a bunch of you at your tailgate last year in Norman with NoleMan. Appreciate the hospitality. We got our arses-kicked on the field, but was actually happy to report back to Nole Fans and to others about what a great game-day experience and good time we had in Norman. Thanks for that.

Heck - I even won the Barry Switzer autographed football from your raffle......and you sent it to me! (psssssssss.....anyone want to buy it back....I have no need....).

Noleman almost got his butt run over by Brian Bosworth on a Harley pre-game.

Enjoy your time in Tallahassee those of you who are going, you will find Seminole fans to be quite a bit different than the Jort Wearing Tebow Jerseyed *********s a couple hours south.

We're the ones with class.

You'll also realize why going to Florida State is prime.....Perennial Top 5 talent of the Co-Ed variety.....OMFG. You will see....

Enjoy your time, and I'll help Noleman with the questions....he's getting on in years and his memory.....well.....enough said.

NoleMan
9/14/2011, 08:42 PM
Noleman - Polk County? My parents are from Winter Haven and I have an Aunt that lives there. I've eaten Peebles BBQ..it is good.

Oh yeah! Grew up in Auburndale. Went to Junior High at Westwood! Polk County representin'!

NoleMan
9/14/2011, 08:45 PM
NOLEMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He He He He He He He.....

Hey Sooner fans - Met a bunch of you at your tailgate last year in Norman with NoleMan. Appreciate the hospitality. We got our arses-kicked on the field, but was actually happy to report back to Nole Fans and to others about what a great game-day experience and good time we had in Norman. Thanks for that.

Heck - I even won the Barry Switzer autographed football from your raffle......and you sent it to me! (psssssssss.....anyone want to buy it back....I have no need....).

Noleman almost got his butt run over by Brian Bosworth on a Harley pre-game.

Enjoy your time in Tallahassee those of you who are going, you will find Seminole fans to be quite a bit different than the Jort Wearing Tebow Jerseyed *********s a couple hours south.

We're the ones with class.

You'll also realize why going to Florida State is prime.....Perennial Top 5 talent of the Co-Ed variety.....OMFG. You will see....

Enjoy your time, and I'll help Noleman with the questions....he's getting on in years and his memory.....well.....enough said.

Tis true! Still love the Boz though. An American Icon!

Stone Cold was a classic. That's all I got to say!

colleyvillesooner
9/14/2011, 08:59 PM
If we find a parking garage to park in during College Gameday, can we leave the car there all day, and walk back to out hotel and back to the game?

Mr. Peanut
9/14/2011, 09:26 PM
Lots are opening at 7, so if it is a garage that you can pay to get into for "game parking", you should be good for the day.

I'm in Allen, btw Colleyvlle.....

Sooner24
9/14/2011, 10:01 PM
Staying at the Hotel Duval and wondered if there are any shuttles to the stadium or if we are going to be hoofing it?

colleyvillesooner
9/14/2011, 10:15 PM
Lots are opening at 7, so if it is a garage that you can pay to get into for "game parking", you should be good for the day.

I'm in Allen, btw Colleyvlle.....
Ok great thanks.

Live in carrollton now, but parents are still in C'ville.

Mr. Peanut
9/14/2011, 10:18 PM
There is a shuttle that runs from Leon County Civic Center to stadium. About 3/4 mile walk from your hotel to Civic center.

To be honest, it's only another 3/4 of a mile or so from Civic Center to Stadium......might consider walking the whole way.

If you do, take Tennessee street then cut through front part of campus by Westcott Fountain....a better walk

colleyvillesooner
9/14/2011, 10:18 PM
Staying at the Hotel Duval and wondered if there are any shuttles to the stadium or if we are going to be hoofing it?

There's a spirit shuttle from the civic center just south Of your hotel.

http://www.tlccc.org/info_html/RV_PARKING.htm#spirit

NoleMan
9/15/2011, 08:01 AM
My Booster pass gets me in the Civic Center, but the fee is normally like $7. Well worth it. About a 15 minute walk. Helps on the way out.

Yes, there's a shuttle for $2, but I think it normally runs only 2 hours before game time, so check the schedule. I just walk.

And GET THERE EARLY! That's the problem with this game. What to do for 8 hours. Gotta pace yourself!

NoleMan
9/15/2011, 08:20 AM
Current seating chart:

http://www.seminoles.com/tickets/tix-stadchart.html

NoleMan
9/16/2011, 07:35 AM
Off to Tally! Here's to fun and safe trip for those making the game. Should be better than last year! :chargrined:

Go Noles!

BoulderSooner79
9/16/2011, 07:36 AM
Off to Tally! Here's to fun and safe trip for those making the game. Should be better than last year! :chargrined:

Go Noles!

You mean OU will win by more than 30? Sweet !!!