PDA

View Full Version : My grandfather will be 100 years old...

GDC
6/12/2011, 03:52 PM
this Tuesday, June 14. He left home when he was 11 years old and worked all his life as a cowboy, farmer and rancher until just a few years ago. Hard to imagine being born in 1911, and especially how different life was back then.

Anyway, happy birthday Grandpa!

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=249738

booomer
6/12/2011, 04:13 PM
That's quite a milestone. Happy birthday to your grandpa and wishing him all the best.

Soonerson1975
6/12/2011, 04:19 PM
Happy Birthday to your Grandfather. 100 years is a long time.

olevetonahill
6/12/2011, 04:57 PM
Hope he gets his cucumber pickled.

OUinFLA
6/12/2011, 06:19 PM
HB

I wonder if we went to school together?

C&CDean
6/12/2011, 06:41 PM
My second son was born on June 14th too. HB to your grandpappy.

****, I guess that means I gotta figure out a B-day present.

soonercruiser
6/12/2011, 07:04 PM
Happy Birthday to your Grandpa!

Wiffie's Mom is 96 next month.
Soooooooo............... the genetics aren't good for me having a trophy wife in my old age.

hawaii 5-0
6/12/2011, 07:07 PM
Great news! Happy Birthday Gramps.

5-0

Trump/ Golden Lasso 2012

jumperstop
6/12/2011, 07:20 PM
I can only hope I make it to 100....

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/12/2011, 07:25 PM
I can only hope I make it to 100....providing you are feeling reasonably well, right?

GDC
6/12/2011, 11:26 PM
Thinking about emailing Willard to ask for a Smucker's shout out on the Today Show...:D

JDMT
6/13/2011, 07:38 AM
I bet he has some great stories. Happy b-day to him.

soonerchk
6/13/2011, 11:51 AM
Happy Birthday to him! Today would have been my grandfather's 104th birthday.

The Profit
6/13/2011, 12:00 PM
Thinking about emailing Willard to ask for a Smucker's shout out on the Today Show...:D

You should do that. Be sure and send him a picture, too.

3rdgensooner
6/13/2011, 12:02 PM
Happy Birthday to him!

texaspokieokie
6/13/2011, 05:58 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!!!

GDC
7/9/2011, 12:23 PM
Well, my grandfather passed away yesterday. Made it to 100 years and 24 days...:(

Mongo
7/9/2011, 12:25 PM
sorry GDC

Okla-homey
7/9/2011, 01:18 PM
He made it to the same age as the world's greatest handgun design: John M. Browning's pattern of 1911.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/browning10-Colt-M1911-1.jpg

Happy birthday to his memory.

JDMT
7/9/2011, 01:23 PM
Sorry man.

cccasooner2
7/9/2011, 01:36 PM
Congratulations to your grandfather. I hope I can even come close. My paternal grandfather would have been 127 tomorrow (but died in 1956).

ouwasp
7/9/2011, 01:37 PM
I'm sorry to hear of his passing. Hope he had a good century.... :)

soonerprices
7/9/2011, 02:17 PM
Sorry to hear of your grandfathers passing.

My wife's grandfather lived to be 100. He smoked from the time he was 12 years old and quit just before his 100th birthday. He said it just wasn't a thrill anymore. He died shortly after his 100th.

Breadburner
7/9/2011, 02:19 PM
Sorry for your loss....!!!

SunnySooner
7/9/2011, 11:04 PM
Oh, wow, so sorry. What a long life he had, though. My Pawpaw died in '98, when he was 96, born in 1901 under President Theodore Roosevelt. He died just a few weeks before my son was born the day after what would have been his 97th birthday. He was too young for the first World War, and then too old for the second, so he was never drafted. He traveled across Texas with his family in a covered wagon, and remembers land around what is now Dallas being sold for as little as a penny an acre--but that same penny could buy a lot of other things a young family needed. He had a few siblings, but they all died of childhood diseases, so he grew up an only child. His parents were part of a set of a brother an two sisters that married a sister and two brothers, so he had oodles of double first cousins, something not all that uncommon back then. We sat him down with a video camera when he was about 90, and just had him talk, about being a young man, about the Spanish Flu epidemic that killed so many people, about owning and driving a Model T, just everything he could think of, all the changes he had seen in his lifetime, literally from covered wagons to space travel and lunar landings, computers, medical advances like vaccines that would have saved his siblings, antibiotics, the cure for polio, telephones, televisions, microwaves, so many of the things we take for granted would have seemed impossible to him when he was a boy. Makes me wonder what will exist 40 years from now, that my brain is too small to yet imagine.

I would love to live as long as possible, as long as I'm in good health, and not a burden, and that's exactly how he lived. He had his own house, grew a garden, hired a driver the last few years when his vision got bad, but finally took ill and passed away within just a few weeks. He had outlived so many of his friends and family, I think he was just ready to go.

I imagine it's a little bit like that for anyone that old, all of their contemporaries are gone, and that's probably a lonely place to be. I hope your grandpa is in a wonderful place now, in a youthful body, at total peace, looking in on you and your family now and then with pride and love.

StoopTroup
7/10/2011, 01:09 AM
I missed this one too. How does a guy with 55,000 posts miss one like this? :D

GDC....that's awesome!

Curly Bill
7/10/2011, 01:11 AM
I missed it too. Congrats to your grandpa for a long life. Condolences to those he has left behind.

GDC
7/11/2011, 11:29 AM
Oh, wow, so sorry. What a long life he had, though. My Pawpaw died in '98, when he was 96, born in 1901 under President Theodore Roosevelt. He died just a few weeks before my son was born the day after what would have been his 97th birthday. He was too young for the first World War, and then too old for the second, so he was never drafted. He traveled across Texas with his family in a covered wagon, and remembers land around what is now Dallas being sold for as little as a penny an acre--but that same penny could buy a lot of other things a young family needed. He had a few siblings, but they all died of childhood diseases, so he grew up an only child. His parents were part of a set of a brother an two sisters that married a sister and two brothers, so he had oodles of double first cousins, something not all that uncommon back then. We sat him down with a video camera when he was about 90, and just had him talk, about being a young man, about the Spanish Flu epidemic that killed so many people, about owning and driving a Model T, just everything he could think of, all the changes he had seen in his lifetime, literally from covered wagons to space travel and lunar landings, computers, medical advances like vaccines that would have saved his siblings, antibiotics, the cure for polio, telephones, televisions, microwaves, so many of the things we take for granted would have seemed impossible to him when he was a boy. Makes me wonder what will exist 40 years from now, that my brain is too small to yet imagine.

I would love to live as long as possible, as long as I'm in good health, and not a burden, and that's exactly how he lived. He had his own house, grew a garden, hired a driver the last few years when his vision got bad, but finally took ill and passed away within just a few weeks. He had outlived so many of his friends and family, I think he was just ready to go.

I imagine it's a little bit like that for anyone that old, all of their contemporaries are gone, and that's probably a lonely place to be. I hope your grandpa is in a wonderful place now, in a youthful body, at total peace, looking in on you and your family now and then with pride and love.

Thanks everyone, especially Sunny for tearing me up with her post. Since we all got together just under a month ago to celebrate his 100th birthday, the family decided to not have any memorials or services, and keep that day as our memories.

NormanPride
7/11/2011, 12:11 PM
Sorry to hear about this, G. We can only hope to live as long and fulfilling a life as he did.