PDA

View Full Version : I was accosted in a restaurant last night by this guy selling Amway products.

lexsooner
6/12/2011, 02:03 PM
profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41391_100001084518943_6634_n.jpg

It was really odd. He just came up to me while I was getting my drink and acted all friendly. At first I thought he knew me from some where, but then he started talking about opportunities to make money through some Amway product, a mid-level marketing venture (aka pyramid scheme). My companion made a quick dash for our table, darn her, and left me talking to this guy. So we watched this guy from our table and he was with some really old lady. I'd like to think it was his Mom, but I am afraid it might have been his date and he wanted to know where she kept her money. He gave me his business card and I looked him up and found him on Facebook. He is around 40, single, describes himself as ambitious, and lives in a low rent apartment near the UK campus. There is no description of his occupation.

OhU1
6/12/2011, 02:08 PM
So how much Amway did he take you for? :)

lexsooner
6/12/2011, 02:14 PM
So how much Amway did he take you for? :)

Zero in dollar amount, but lots in terms of my psychological wellness.

Jacie
6/12/2011, 02:19 PM
Having been ambushed in my own home twice by people my ex-wife allowed in under the pretext of a visit from old friends of hers, I was prepared to take my chances with a jury, convinced I could be acquitted of murder using the justifiable homicide defense . . .

yermom
6/12/2011, 02:28 PM
my great grandparents apparently made a lot of money from Herbalife/Amway back in the day

but now, it seems like it's a good way to make all your friends and family not want to take your calls, like Mary Kay

OhU1
6/12/2011, 02:45 PM
My uncle was big into Amway in the 70's. He made a lot of money as he was in relatively early in the pyramid scheme. He drove you crazy to be around him because he talked Amway all the time.

Amway is essentially a cult revolving around money. Joel Osteen and mega-churches seem very much like the Amway cult, except they occasionally throw in the word Jesus instead of Amway.

mgsooner
6/12/2011, 02:49 PM
THIS MAN ACCOSTED ME! YOU ARE ALL WITNESSES!

crawfish
6/12/2011, 02:55 PM
Amway is a great tool if you want your family and friends to avoid you.

mgsooner
6/12/2011, 03:00 PM
A buddy and I were at the old O'Connell's one night and this guy walks up to us out of nowhere and says "Have you ever thought about owning your own business?" Our response: "No." I'm not sure that was the answer he was fishing for.

StoopTroup
6/12/2011, 03:11 PM
Lots of gay dudes are selling Amway. I'm not surprised they didn't sell you Amway as that's not really what was happening. It's just a better line than the old "hey do you mind if I push up your stool.

You got hit on because you looked the type. Nothing to be ashamed of but you might want to consider getting a different look. Maybe a lumberjack shirt. No they've got that too....lol

Damn BikerFox has ruined almost every look available.

Penguin
6/12/2011, 05:40 PM
I had a co-worker that did Amway on the side. He tried to recruit me, but I refused. However, I did buy a shoe shine spray from him and I was quite satisfied with the product.

OUmillenium
6/12/2011, 06:48 PM
1. Amway
2. Mannatech
3. Herbalife
4. Melaleuca
5. Advocare
6. Excel (phone)
7. Monavie

That stuff is everywhere in Tulsa. The new one that all the chicks are into is Scentsy (candles, etc.).

It can make you money if you are a natural salesman or drive you insane/broke if you are not.

Dabbled in Melaleuca and Monavie but its a lot more profitable to just go mow some lawns or some other honest work. All of the products are very expensive and it is expensive to be a salesman if you are not signing people up and moving product. NO is a great word

Mongo
6/12/2011, 06:52 PM
Advocare is the debbil. my high school coach pimped that stuff on us. he made us drink this energy drink before a game. I was grinding my teeth like a meth addict and thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest

OUmillenium
6/12/2011, 06:56 PM
Spark...I bet

Mongo
6/12/2011, 06:57 PM
Spark...I bet

yeah, that was it

hawaii 5-0
6/12/2011, 06:59 PM
TI think that was my cousin. Was he tall, fat, looked goulish and trying to mooch a free meal?

5-0

Trump/ Lurch 2012

StoopTroup
6/12/2011, 07:28 PM
Melaleuca was the best stuff. What I didn't get was when I wanted to quit selling and I just wanted to buy the stuff I liked.....they got really pissy. It's funny to me because now I could actually use even more of the products that I liked and since they pissed me off ten years ago....I'll never buy from them again or recommend their products.

I swear that oil they had....if you burned yourself....you could apply that to the burn and you wouldn't have a blister the next day. It was amazing.

I still have the Mela-gel I bought from them. It's expired but it still works on mosquito and chigger bites as well as small burns.

They really made you feel like **** if you didn't want to push the products.

Just like Amway....they were expensive and some of them tried to use the claim that if it all had Melaleuca Oil in it....it made it better.

Like Melaleuca Oil in your eye drops would cure blindness.....lol

That kind of made they seem like Snake oil Sales People IMO.

Multi-level marketing....which they claim they don't do....lol...

It sucks as a way to introduce good products. They could of pkgd and marketed two or three of their products and made billions on them but instead they turned it into a cult type organization.

GDC
6/12/2011, 10:12 PM
Reminds me of the scene in the movie Go! where the guys thought the couple were swingers but it turned out to be an Amway ambush.

Penguin
6/12/2011, 10:31 PM
My dad got me in some "Family of Eagles" company where we were supposed to sell gold coins, but the real money was in the recruiting of suckers like me. My MLM experience lasted about a week and that's enough me.

rekamrettuB
6/13/2011, 09:01 AM
I guess I'm too rude. I usually ask nicely once when it happiness either out somewhere or from door-to-door people. If they don't get the hint and keep on I get pretty mean.

yermom
6/13/2011, 09:02 AM
huh?

soonerchk
6/13/2011, 10:29 AM
I always hear about Amway, but I have no idea what kind of crap they sell.

lexsooner
6/13/2011, 10:52 AM
I always hear about Amway, but I have no idea what kind of crap they sell.

That's not unusual when it come to multi-level marketing aka pyramid schemes. The products themselves are not particularly relevant - it's mainly about getting more folks to sign on as marketers and getting bonuses for doing so. Amway sells nutritional supplements and similar stuff. As with all pyramid schemes, if you got in early near the top, you could have made lots of money. Most lose their shirts, though.

The Profit
6/13/2011, 10:54 AM
I wonder if those Amway dudes still draw those circles?

soonerchk
6/13/2011, 10:59 AM
That's not unusual when it come to multi-level marketing aka pyramid schemes. The products themselves are not particularly relevant - it's mainly about getting more folks to sign on as marketers and getting bonuses for doing so. Amway sells nutritional supplements and similar stuff. As with all pyramid schemes, if you got in early near the top, you could have made lots of money. Most lose their shirts, though.

Funny, I thought they sold appliances. Who knew?

stevo
6/13/2011, 11:02 AM
I can't stand people that constantly pimp herbalife on fb. DELETE! HUZZAHHH!

3rdgensooner
6/13/2011, 11:05 AM
1. Amway
2. Mannatech
3. Herbalife
4. Melaleuca
5. Advocare
6. Excel (phone)
7. Monavie
I would add Arbonne to that list.

I guess I'm too rude. I usually ask nicely once when it happ[ens] either out somewhere or from door-to-door people. If they don't get the hint and keep on I get pretty mean.Yeah, I'm not one to suffer those kinds of interactions graciously.

yermom
6/13/2011, 11:07 AM
that makes sense now. heh.

RACHEL MADDOW is my clone
6/13/2011, 11:07 AM
Funny, I thought they sold appliances. Who knew?

Actually, they really sell self-help media such as CDs to people on lower tiers of the pyramid.

soonerchk
6/13/2011, 11:22 AM
Actually, they really sell self-help media such as CDs to people on lower tiers of the pyramid.

Okay, did they used to sell cleaning products?

And yes, Arbonne sucks donkey balls and I delete anyone on FB who tries to push that stuff on me.

WichitaSooner
6/13/2011, 11:22 AM
Reminds me of the scene in the movie Go! where the guys thought the couple were swingers but it turned out to be an Amway ambush.

"Uhh, wait. Wait. You want us to sell Amway?"

"It's Confederated Products. It's a different company, it's a different quality of product."

That movie is greatness...

Romulus
6/13/2011, 12:15 PM
I think Schmitty used to be an Advocare junky, not sure if he still is

OhU1
6/13/2011, 01:44 PM
:gary: sells Amway.

Wonder if he made Val distribute Amway? Damn it, talk to me Val! :gary:

The Profit
6/13/2011, 01:46 PM
:gary: sells Amway.

Wonder if he made Val distribute Amway? Damn it, talk to me Val! :gary:

Yeah, I remember hearing that he was an Amway Big Shot.

DIB
6/13/2011, 03:31 PM
I think Schmitty used to be an Advocare junky, not sure if he still is

I didn't realize that Advocare sold HGH.