PDA

View Full Version : Just watched 127 hours

mgsooner
6/11/2011, 11:25 PM
In the future, when I'm having a bad day, I pledge to tell myself: "It could be worse. I could be forced to saw my arm off with a dull, made in China cutting tool."

SoonerofAlabama
6/11/2011, 11:35 PM
Was it good?

mgsooner
6/11/2011, 11:38 PM
It was pretty good. A few too many dream/hallucination sequences for my taste, but without those I guess you'd have about a 30 minute movie.

SoonerofAlabama
6/11/2011, 11:43 PM
I haven't been watching any movies lately. A lot of these movies from the past two years that were supposed to be great, I haven't seen. I haven't seen The Town, or True Grit, or The Social Network, or really any movies that were really supposed to be good. Have you seen any of these movies?

mgsooner
6/11/2011, 11:47 PM
The Town left me feeling very meh. I haven't seen True Grit. The Social Network is worth seeing on the basis of Jesse Eisenberg's performance alone. We watched Black Swan last weekend and thought it was just okay. Bottom line I wouldn't characterize any of these movies as "great", 127 Hours included.

sooner59
6/11/2011, 11:48 PM
127 hours is legit. I recommend Super 8 as well.

proud gonzo
6/11/2011, 11:50 PM
It's a GREAT movie. It is, however, the only film I can remember ever having to close my eyes during. I did not read the amputation scene.

In real life, it took Aron Ralston an hour to cut off his arm. And all of the hallucinations actually happened--they were being true to his experience. Ralson said the film was so accurate that it's as close as you can get to being a documentary without actually being one.

SoonerofAlabama
6/11/2011, 11:56 PM
The only movies I have seen recently have been on my "On Demand" channel. So far I have watched Good Will Hunting and Avatar. Has anyone seen The Fighter?

And is it just me or have the movies the last few years pretty much all sucked?

SoonerHoops
6/11/2011, 11:56 PM
The Town is a pretty dang good movie. 127 Hours was good, just an incredible story. Franco deserved some hardware for that acting job.

sooner59
6/12/2011, 12:10 AM
Agreed. Well done by Franco. Interested to see how much screen time he gets in the new Planet of the Apes movie.

SoonerofAlabama
6/12/2011, 12:12 AM
So the new Planet of the Apes movie just basically is the build-up to the old one, correct?

sooner59
6/12/2011, 12:36 AM
I think so. It is supposed to show how the apes took over.

Sooner_Tuf
6/12/2011, 05:43 AM
There have been a number of good movies out the last couple of years. You might have to be 17 to get in though :(

mgsooner
6/12/2011, 09:08 AM
The only movies I have seen recently have been on my "On Demand" channel. So far I have watched Good Will Hunting and Avatar. Has anyone seen The Fighter?

And is it just me or have the movies the last few years pretty much all sucked?

I really, really liked the Fighter.

Over the past 5 years or so there's really only been one movie that has just blown me away, and that was Pan's Labyrinth. The Diving Bell And The Butterfly was close.

Edit: forgot to mention the Dark Knight and Inception, which are both fantastic movies.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/12/2011, 10:42 AM
I really, really liked the Fighter.

Over the past 5 years or so there's really only been one movie that has just blown me away, and that was Pan's Labyrinth. The Diving Bell And The Butterfly was close.

Edit: forgot to mention the Dark Knight and Inception, which are both fantastic movies.

Thanks for the Diving Bell & Butterfly recommendation. I will make a point of watching it.

For anyone who has not seen The Social Network, I highly recommend it. Whether you are a Facebook fan or not is irrelevant to its enjoyment.

GDC
6/12/2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the Diving Bell & Butterfly recommendation. I will make a point of watching it.

The entire book was written by Bauby blinking his left eyelid, which took ten months (four hours a day). Using partner assisted scanning, a transcriber repeatedly recited a French language frequency-ordered alphabet (E, S, A, R, I, N, T, U, L, etc.), until Bauby blinked to choose the next letter. The book took about 200,000 blinks to write and an average word took approximately two minutes.

:eek:

sooneron
6/12/2011, 08:44 PM
My thoughts-
127 Hours - very solid (if I'm thinking about it a day or two later, it's good)
The Town - Well done, not in the excellent realm, but pretty darn good.
King's Speech - Well acted, well written (IMO, with this cast it SHOULD be good) I didn't see it as Best Pic worthy
Social Network - VERY GOOD to EXCELLENT
Inception- See above
The Fighter - Better than King's Speech. I really liked it.

My Opinion Matters
6/12/2011, 08:53 PM
My thoughts-
King's Speech - Well acted, well written (IMO, with this cast it SHOULD be good) I didn't see it as Best Pic worthy
Inception- See above

I agree with most of this. I wasn't really blown away by Inception though, and I'm a pretty big Chris Nolan fan.

sooner59
6/12/2011, 11:00 PM
I saw Inception in IMAX and thought it was outstanding. I was very entertained. I love movies that keep me engaged and make me think, even just a little. A plus being a movie that isn't just a replicate.

sooneron
6/13/2011, 08:58 AM
I saw Inception in IMAX and thought it was outstanding. I was very entertained. I love movies that keep me engaged and make me think, even just a little. A plus being a movie that isn't just a replicate.

This ^ minus the imax part for me.

JohnnyMack
6/13/2011, 09:36 AM
My thoughts-
Inception- See above

I think the Oscars are at a point where they're taking themselves way too seriously. Case in point being The Kings Speech over The Social Network or Inception. It's almost like if a movie is fun it couldn't possibly be the best picture of the year. I've seen all the best picture nominees but Winter's Bone and I think Inception is as creative and beautiful to look at as any of the other films.

sooneron
6/13/2011, 09:52 AM
I think the Oscars are at a point where they're taking themselves way too seriously. Case in point being The Kings Speech over The Social Network or Inception. It's almost like if a movie is fun it couldn't possibly be the best picture of the year. I've seen all the best picture nominees but Winter's Bone and I think Inception is as creative and beautiful to look at as any of the other films.

They've been at that point for a long time. King's Speech was excellent, but it was Masterpiece Theater excellent. I'd take Inception, Social Network, or The Fighter over it as Best Pic. Once about every 8-10 years, they seem to be giving the nod to the ginormous pic that swings for the fences- Titanic, ROTK...

Not that I love Titanic, but it was a BIG movie. I'm not sure if they think Hurt Locker fits into that realm. Then again, I thought 09 was a really weak year for "great movies".
I need to get Winter's Bone in my netflix cue. I read some great/interesting stuff about it in a cinematography mag.

JohnnyMack
6/13/2011, 09:59 AM
I'm not sure if they think Hurt Locker fits into that realm.

I am and will always be convinced that Inglorious Basterds was better than The Hurt Locker.

SoonerofAlabama
6/13/2011, 10:01 AM
I wasn't a big fan of Inglorious Basterds. It felt like it ended too soon.

My Opinion Matters
6/13/2011, 10:04 AM
Winter's Bone was "just ok" for me. For me, Blue Valentine was probably a more deserving best pic nomination.

My Opinion Matters
6/13/2011, 10:05 AM
I also thought Black Swan might have sucked a little bit.

tator
6/13/2011, 11:00 AM
I wasn't a big fan of Inglorious Basterds. It felt like it ended too soon.
That's because the bar scene was never-ending. It was an awesome scene though.

StoopTroup
6/13/2011, 11:52 AM
Fast n Furious Five was OK. I enjoyed the Safe scene.