PDA

View Full Version : Government Involvement

wright8750
6/11/2011, 05:10 PM
The way things are going with scandals involving not only student athletes but other people making money off of the players and the BCS scandal and the NCAA appearing to make up rules as they go along don't think at some point the government is not going to be involved. College Football is BIG BUSINESS. If push comes to shove you know how they get you? I.R.S. If they wanted to push it. How about the agents, sports memorabilia people, boosters and even some of the players making money and not reporting it? Everyone always talks about how if they can prove the people involved were taking illegal benefits or people making money off the star athletes will get the schools in trouble. If you have people making money and not reporting it to the I.R.S. being ineligible will be the least of your problems. I'm not saying that is going to happen but the pressure to investigate the inequities or perceived inequities in a billion dollar business is increasing. Can you imagine the fall out over a kid making thousands of dollars over signed memorabilia and not reporting it? Everyone is thinking in terms of ineligibility. These are FEDERAL CRIMINAL OFFENSES for anyone not reporting income. Maybe thats what will have to happen to cut down on all of these scandals. Something to keep in mind.

olevetonahill
6/11/2011, 05:18 PM
Huh? all I see is this.
http://therattrick.com/files/2011/03/brick_wall.jpg

TahoeSOONER
6/11/2011, 05:37 PM
Decent angle but I would like government to stay as far away from cfb as possible. There's bigger issues to be addressed than football.

wright8750
6/11/2011, 06:04 PM
Even the Berlin wall fell! The way the government is sticking its nose into everything, anything is possible. A lot of things are happening right now that people said would never happen. Even if you think the chance is remote you have to admit if someone with authority and the ability wanted to really push it it could happen. Remember Al Capone?

Jason
6/11/2011, 09:07 PM
Even the Berlin wall fell!
Missed the point.

olevetonahill
6/11/2011, 09:14 PM
Missed the point.

;) :D

picasso
6/12/2011, 12:51 AM
They'll put their best weiner on it.

Flagstaffsooner
6/12/2011, 01:10 AM
What is that n00b trying to say?

Sooner_Tuf
6/12/2011, 05:22 AM
What is that n00b trying to say?

Paranoia will destroy ya?

pphilfran
6/12/2011, 05:53 AM
If the Fed got involved...

1. They would implement "No Player Left Behind"
2. Every player on the roster would get to play an equal amount of time
3. Yards gained, catches made, etc by the teams superstars would all be evenly divided up and shared with the less gifted
4. Every player would be a Heisman winner and would get invited to NYC

soonerloyal
6/12/2011, 09:59 AM
If the Fed got involved...

1. They would implement "No Player Left Behind"
2. Every player on the roster would get to play an equal amount of time
3. Yards gained, catches made, etc by the teams superstars would all be evenly divided up and shared with the less gifted
4. Every player would be a Heisman winner and would get invited to NYC

As opposed to privatizing it all and allowing a few huge corporations to own & profit from the teams... :rolleyes:

Yep, the players are all still screwed. :eek:

ictsooner7
6/12/2011, 07:04 PM
As opposed to privatizing it all and allowing a few huge corporations to own & profit from the teams... :rolleyes:

Yep, the players are all still screwed. :eek:

But...................don't you know privatizing anything makes it work better. Private industry is the answer to all ills, just look at heath care.

King Barry's Back
6/12/2011, 07:21 PM
You are right that a player who makes money on the side, and doesn't report it, could be prosecuted for tax evasion. In fact, that is the definition of tax evasion.

BUT...

I don't know if any of those players did or didn't report it, so why are you speculating? From what I can tell, the income earned by Bomar and Co was reported, so why are you assuming here that it is not?

Even if they did fail to report it, from the amounts I have heard, it would mean only a few thousand dollars plus fines would be owed to the govt. Wouldn't be hard to settle this with little lasting trouble. People underpay their taxes all the time, and players wouldn't be treated any differently. UNLESS, there is eveidence that they intentionally tried to hide the money from IRS. But I certainly haven't seen that.

FINALLY, if they were prosecuted for tax evasion, that would be an individual criminal case. It might draw in the individuals that paid the players for failure to withhold, or something like that, but it would have no (as far as I can see) larger ramifications for college football as a whole.

picasso
6/12/2011, 07:34 PM
But...................don't you know privatizing anything makes it work better. Private industry is the answer to all ills, just look at heath care.

Good example. I get excellent health care.

Sooner_Tuf
6/12/2011, 08:10 PM
The problem with healthcare isn't the private part. It's the parts where the government has it's nose in it.

soonerloyal
6/12/2011, 08:25 PM
The problem with healthcare isn't the private part. It's the parts where the government has it's nose in it.

:rolleyes: So much to correct, so little time.

Sooner_Tuf
6/12/2011, 08:42 PM

No need to explain anything to me. While not a commie myself I do know what one is ;)

Sooner Cal
6/12/2011, 09:46 PM
If you like government in everything, move to Europe. If you think health care has problems now, wait until Obama Care starts in 2014.

Who made the birth certificate an issue, those who asked it be made public, or Obama who refused to release it for 3 years.

California and New York are run by democrats and they are in a fiscal mess. The democrats in Washington are doing the same to the rest of the country.

picasso
6/12/2011, 10:16 PM
Ideologues suck.

Just sayin'.

soonerloyal
6/12/2011, 10:18 PM
No need to explain anything to me. While not a commie myself I do know what one is ;)

My Marines campaign for Universal Health Care in the U.S. No Commies there. ;)

SoonerBacker
6/12/2011, 10:23 PM

:rolleyes: So much to say, but I will refrain in the interest of civility. Besides, THIS board is supposed to be a discussion of SOONER/college football, NOT political issues or philosophy - RIGHT?
:pop:

soonerloyal
6/13/2011, 08:06 AM
:rolleyes: So much to say, but I will refrain in the interest of civility. Besides, THIS board is supposed to be a discussion of SOONER/college football, NOT political issues or philosophy - RIGHT?
:pop:

Yep. :D

Howthehellareya, BTW?

SoonerinSouthlake
6/13/2011, 12:40 PM
Huh? all I see is this.
http://therattrick.com/files/2011/03/brick_wall.jpg

is that the wall at TBOONE stadium with the "OU" in it?;)

SoonerinSouthlake
6/13/2011, 12:56 PM

Oh you havent even seen what its like for the government to be in your private parts like you will if this admin get a 2nd term. :D