PDA

View Full Version : Is this the best opportunity at a MNC that Stoops has had?

Collier11
6/10/2011, 08:23 PM
Think about it, JR. Heisman contending QB coming back, loaded offense and offensive line, fairly loaded D, u$c is out, ohio $tate is out, texas is out.

I know we have a tough schedule but this season is already set up well for us, now we gotta take care of business. I do feel like this may be the best pre-season shot, outside of maybe 03

Mazeppa
6/10/2011, 08:39 PM
Best opportunity since 2000?

EatLeadCommie
6/10/2011, 08:41 PM
best opportunity since 2009, but Sam went out in the first game and Jermaine before the season began. Seriously, with the way the D played that year and Sam at the helm, we could've beaten anybody.

bixby28
6/10/2011, 09:00 PM
With the omission of the 2003 team, I would say 2008. That offense was freaking sensational and could've won the MNC with Murray in the game.

King Barry's Back
6/10/2011, 09:05 PM
Think about it, JR. Heisman contending QB coming back, loaded offense and offensive line, fairly loaded D, u$c is out, ohio $tate is out, texas is out.

I know we have a tough schedule but this season is already set up well for us, now we gotta take care of business. I do feel like this may be the best pre-season shot, outside of maybe 03

The "tough schedule" is an opportunity, if it's really all that tough.

Yeah, this probably looks like the right team at the right time, but Barry Switzer always said that "You win national championships when you don't expect it."

I think what he meant was that when you are an obvious choice, you carry a heavy burden through the season. The players feel more pressure. You've got a target on your back.

But when you take a team that isn't highly regarded and put it all together, you can come out of nowhere with a big advantage.

I've never been sure if I agreed with the King. There clearly have been plenty of teams tagged from the pre-season to be obvious contenders, but I think there is something to what he was saying.

SoonerofAlabama
6/10/2011, 09:14 PM
The "tough schedule" is an opportunity, if it's really all that tough.

Yeah, this probably looks like the right team at the right time, but Barry Switzer always said that "You win national championships when you don't expect it."

I think what he meant was that when you are an obvious choice, you carry a heavy burden through the season. The players feel more pressure. You've got a target on your back.

But when you take a team that isn't highly regarded and put it all together, you can come out of nowhere with a big advantage.

I've never been sure if I agreed with the King. There clearly have been plenty of teams tagged from the pre-season to be obvious contenders, but I think there is something to what he was saying.

But Barry went from wire to wire three times in his coaching career right? So what is the difference, now?

TahoeSOONER
6/10/2011, 09:30 PM
I say no. Harris and Straight on D in 2003 was stacked. This team can be something special, and no doubt gonna put up points, but it comes down to road play & running the ball. Balance on O to run the table.

#8 is due, and other than A&M @ home, it will be taken with road play on defense and being able to stay balanced running the ball with young & unproven potential.

starclassic tama
6/10/2011, 09:42 PM
the offensive line is solid and got a lot better last year, but i'm still not sure if i trust the unit as a whole over a 13 game season, and there are some question marks on defense. but i like our chances right now... going into the season, nobody knew just how good the 2003 team was going to be. the 2004 team was probably the best shot, if not for those cheating trojans...

SoonerinSouthlake
6/10/2011, 11:17 PM
I thought 2003 was a gimmie with that talent. Great balance of stacked D and potent O.

Had Jason not had a hurt hand, and LSU not had a home game, that shoulda been an easy W and number 8

but hey...woudla shoulda coulda

this year may be a clearer path though on paper.

Breadburner
6/10/2011, 11:26 PM
best opportunity since 2009, but Sam went out in the first game and Jermaine before the season began. Seriously, with the way the D played that year and Sam at the helm, we could've beaten anybody.

Winnah......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BoulderSooner79
6/10/2011, 11:34 PM
Yep, '03 was stacked and maybe the second most dominate team of the decade to the '01 Canes during the regular season. The '04 team lost too much on defense from the '03 team and it was amazing job by the staff to win them all before the bowl game. '08 was the next best chance to '03 and as someone else mentioned, we have a real good shot if DM plays in the title game.

I don't see the '11 team as good as '03 or '08, but the very elite of CFB all seem to be down a bit. But who knows, there is this thing called chemistry that elevates a team higher than what it looks like on paper. Maybe ours will have it.

Salt City Sooner
6/11/2011, 12:05 AM
But Barry went from wire to wire three times in his coaching career right? So what is the difference, now?
Switzer never went wire to wire, at least in the AP poll.

SoonerofAlabama
6/11/2011, 12:09 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154946&highlight=Season

SoCaliSooner
6/11/2011, 12:36 AM

BYU was handing them their butts. Maybe things go different but the team still had a quit mentality at times.

OK2LA
6/11/2011, 12:41 AM
SoonerinSouthlake beat me to it. Kind of a trick question. I think we were pretty freakin' close against Florida, and even closer against LSU.

Salt City Sooner
6/11/2011, 12:53 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154946&highlight=Season
Wire to wire means being ranked #1 every week of that season (USC '04 was the last to do it, & FSU '99 was the last to do it w/o getting busted for cheating). While OU was ranked #1 at the first of the season & finished at the same in each of Switzer's NC seasons, there were several weeks in between in each year in which they were not ranked as such.

1974- http://collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/teams/by_season.cfm?teamid=50&seasonid=1974

1975- http://collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/teams/by_season.cfm?teamid=50&seasonid=1975

1985- http://collegepollarchive.com/football/ap/teams/by_season.cfm?teamid=50&seasonid=1985

ouwasp
6/11/2011, 01:00 AM
I am really proud of all the Big XII titles. Really. Just think how much :stunned: would like to have just one.

But being a Sooner fan nakes one truly yearn for MNC #8. Who woulda thought, back in 2000, all these yrs later #8 has still escaped OUr grasp?

My Dad is 80. Been a Sooner fan all his life even if he is an aggie grad. He's seen the first 7. Sure hope he gets to see #8. This year. :)

Then Bob can simply start working for #9.... :D

yermom
6/11/2011, 05:54 AM
In 2009 if Sam and Gresham play all year, I think we had a good shot at it.

We do seem pretty well stacked this year. Watching highlights again, man, Landry looked good at times. If our o-line improves at all, I don't see why we wouldn't make it to NOLA

And the most established threat I can think of to meet there is Oregon.

wright8750
6/11/2011, 06:42 AM
Back in the 70's we could pretty much just line up and beat most teams just by showing up. With parity in football now days you have a formula that pretty much has to be mixed just right. First of all you have to have good players and coaches who can coach that talent. Depth of quality players is important. Then you have to have a manageable schedule. You also have to have the odds. By that I mean having good winning teams on a consistent basis. Sooner or later one is going to go all the way. We have all these things going for us. Now part of the equation that is mostly unpredictable but is also required for a N.C. Key injuries. Kids who screw up and can't play for whatever reason. And then you have luck. You have to play well enough that you can overcome a bad call or calls from some referee. Sometimes it comes down to one play in one game at some point during the season. If the ball bounces left instead of right you might have yourself a National Championship.

SoonerinSouthlake
6/11/2011, 09:30 AM
I am really proud of all the Big XII titles. Really. Just think how much :stunned: would like to have just one.

But being a Sooner fan nakes one truly yearn for MNC #8. Who woulda thought, back in 2000, all these yrs later #8 has still escaped OUr grasp?

My Dad is 80. Been a Sooner fan all his life even if he is an aggie grad. He's seen the first 7. Sure hope he gets to see #8. This year. :)

Then Bob can simply start working for #9.... :D

I say we just skip 8 and go straignt to 9

Heck...Bama did that 2 or 3 times in their count

King Crimson
6/11/2011, 10:24 AM
i think Landry gets a bad rap at times, but he's got some "brain failure" issues that are to be expected and strange. he's tried to give away a lot of games. Texas last year, @NU in 09. etc.

game at FSU will be a real test, imo. if we win that one in Tally, i'm a potential believer.

yermom
6/11/2011, 10:32 AM
if we could punch the ball when we needed, he'd be under less pressure

he's got the arm and can make the throws when he's on though.

Chiliman
6/11/2011, 10:37 AM
The '03 team was Stoop's most talented and could have, should have won a title. The '08 team didn't have the D. The '09 team may have had a shot. The D was very good but the O-line was weak. This team has talent but I would worry about the loss of guys like Carter and Box. The leadship and intangibles these two guys brought were off the charts. It is easy to see the talent we have on the defensive side of the ball, although the DT position is suspect. For a team to win a National title, you have to stay healthy, catch some breaks and have strong leadership. I think we have leadership on the offensive side of the ball. I really question the leadership on the defensive side of the ball. I'm talking about real leaders not self proclaimed ones.

BoulderSooner79
6/11/2011, 11:06 AM
I think LJ gets a bad rap on "brain failure". Every QB makes a mental mistake under pressure a certain percentage of the time. I seem to recall Peyton Manning throwing a pick 6 to seal the super bowl. LJ's gaffs come at about the rate I would expect given his experience and the fact we throw more than anyone in the country. But that mistake rate has to go down this year and I would expect it to given another spring & fall camp. The number of plays he is under pressure should also go down if the oline improves as expected. If those 2 improvements happen, it adds up to a monster year for LJ.

Collier11
6/11/2011, 11:16 AM
LJs only fault is that he is following the greatest pure QB in OU history and one of the greatest in NCAA history. Landry is a great QB

Soonermagik
6/11/2011, 11:29 AM
I think this is their best shot since no one is really amazing. Florida, Texas, Auburn, Ohio State, USC are all down. Alabama lost Julio Jones, Ingram and their QB.

Honestly, I think they beat that LSU team in a true neutral location. I think they have a real shot at beating Florida if Murray plays. They have had their chances, but came up short in those games. The SC game was a debacle and they just gave up.

If Stoops doesn't win a title in the next 2 years then I think they will be another 4-5 years away from another legit shot. If Jones stays this year and next they will have 2 really good shots. If Stoops wants to be in the same category as Saban he's got to win another title.

GKeeper316
6/11/2011, 11:29 AM
if we had played LSU anywhere but the sugar bowl, its #8.

JLEW1818
6/11/2011, 11:31 AM
2003 in my opinion. Stoops himself said before that season, this would be his best team.

i know that was over 7 years ago.

but yes, there is no team that looks that scary this year. Florida and Bama have been sick the last 3 years. USC and Ohio State are now done for a while. Texas is sucking.

TMcGee86
6/11/2011, 07:18 PM
BYU was handing them their butts. Maybe things go different but the team still had a quit mentality at times.

meh, watch that OSU game from the year before and it's obvious that JG was just a flat out difference maker.

I agree BYU was giving it to them, but I think with JG it's a completely different game.

LostCreekSooner
6/11/2011, 09:49 PM
2003, 2008, 2009 (pre-injuries), and now 2011... all about the same IMO.

TUSKtimes
6/12/2011, 01:06 PM
2003 in my opinion. Stoops himself said before that season, this would be his best team.

i know that was over 7 years ago.

but yes, there is no team that looks that scary this year. Florida and Bama have been sick the last 3 years. USC and Ohio State are now done for a while. Texas is sucking.

The beauty of the game is to watch who steps up. Anyone have the barn in last years predictions? Teams get scary as the season progresses. I'm looking forward to Bama and Oklahoma and the gang, getting on the field and proving it.

soonercoop1
6/12/2011, 01:14 PM
Certainly better once they get to the MNC game with Heupel as O-Coord...still not sold on the D as they haven't been top 10 in several years...curious to see how LJ plays at FSU...that would be a good barometer...

Al Gore
6/12/2011, 01:19 PM
Yes......I believe so.....

Salt City Sooner
6/12/2011, 01:44 PM
Certainly better once they get to the MNC game with Heupel as O-Coord...still not sold on the D as they haven't been top 10 in several years...curious to see how LJ plays at FSU...that would be a good barometer...
The OU D was #8 in the nation in total D & #7 in scoring D in 2009.

soonercoop1
6/13/2011, 05:39 PM
The OU D was #8 in the nation in total D & #7 in scoring D in 2009.

My bad thought they were worse than that. Maybe the stats were changed? Cudos to BV for 8th!

Total D:
2010-53rd
2009-8th
2008-68th
2007-26th
2006-16th
2005-13th
2004-13th
2003-3rd
2002-10th
2001-4th
2000-8th

NormanPride
6/13/2011, 06:02 PM
Do we want an easy road? I'd rather see a bunch of great teams pop up in the Big 12, then beat them all. That's what we did in 2000.

And honestly, every year looks good until injuries start piling up. Let's pray for a light season there!

Peach Fuzz
6/13/2011, 06:09 PM
The '03 team was Stoop's most talented and could have, should have won a title. The '08 team didn't have the D. The '09 team may have had a shot. The D was very good but the O-line was weak. This team has talent but I would worry about the loss of guys like Carter and Box. The leadship and intangibles these two guys brought were off the charts. It is easy to see the talent we have on the defensive side of the ball, although the DT position is suspect. For a team to win a National title, you have to stay healthy, catch some breaks and have strong leadership. I think we have leadership on the offensive side of the ball. I really question the leadership on the defensive side of the ball. I'm talking about real leaders not self proclaimed ones.

Strongly disagree with this statement Mr. Chiliman.

I don't think our defensive leaders are hot-air as you make them out to be.

They might not be sideline cheerleaders, but damn, they will lead through their actions... I'd take that over a chatty leader any day.

tcrb
6/13/2011, 06:19 PM
As always, injuries, or the lack thereof, will be key.

BOB LABLAW
6/13/2011, 06:56 PM
With the omission of the 2003 team, I would say 2008. That offense was freaking sensational and could've won the MNC with Murray in the game.

Amen to that. Every time I get drunk and talk football, I go on about the 08 NCG and lack of Murray. We would have won by 2 TDs. Damn, I'm going to get drunk now. That whole situation still pisses me off. Damn

JLEW1818
6/13/2011, 06:59 PM
^ lol :D

mightysooner
6/13/2011, 07:00 PM
LJs only fault is that he is following the greatest pure QB in OU history and one of the greatest in NCAA history. Landry is a great QB

While Landry is a great QB, he does have a fault of throwing a lot of picks in big games.

Chiliman
6/13/2011, 07:03 PM
Strongly disagree with this statement Mr. Chiliman.

I don't think our defensive leaders are hot-air as you make them out to be.

They might not be sideline cheerleaders, but damn, they will lead through their actions... I'd take that over a chatty leader any day.

We agree. We need leaders, who do lead by their actions in the locker room, during the summer and on the field. Carter and Box did that. I hope somebody on the defense does step up and leads this way. I have faith somebody will. Probably somebody we least suspect to do so.

Collier11
6/13/2011, 08:20 PM
While Landry is a great QB, he does have a fault of throwing a lot of picks in big games.

He has less career ints and more completions, attemps, TDs, and a higher efficiency than Heupel.

He also has the 3rd highest efficiency in OU History

Peach Fuzz
6/13/2011, 08:25 PM
He has less career ints and more completions, attemps, TDs, and a higher efficiency than Heupel.

he still sucks...

;)

Collier11
6/13/2011, 08:26 PM
glad that is cleared up

Curly Bill
6/13/2011, 08:29 PM
Yo C11...How much do you admire my restraint in not saying how BV's defense will have at least one game where it looks to be totally clueless and ruins it all for us this season? :D

Collier11
6/13/2011, 08:36 PM
Let me ask you this, do you see one D that we play that can hold us to less than 30? Even if BVs D gives up 15-20 like the last several years, thats good enough to win it all

Curly Bill
6/13/2011, 08:40 PM
I think we'll score largely at will. That being said I also have flashbacks to games where we don't cover receivers running open over the middle until they've scored 50 themselves. Either that, or we continually play 10 yards off receivers, even on short yardage, until said team marches the ball up and down the field on us all day.

That being said: I hope that's all behind us.

JLEW1818
6/13/2011, 09:05 PM
need to have a top 30 defense for any chance at the Title

Top 20 would be nice

Rocko
6/13/2011, 09:36 PM
We agree. We need leaders, who do lead by their actions in the locker room, during the summer and on the field. Carter and Box did that. I hope somebody on the defense does step up and leads this way. I have faith somebody will. Probably somebody we least suspect to do so.

Tony Jefferson, Tom Wort, and Colvin are pretty good candidates to step into the roll of leader. Seeing both Wort and Colvin in interviews, both are well spoken. Tony Jefferson, while a goofball, seems to have grown in recent months and could be a great leader.

That said, I believe Landry Jones is having a profound impact on this football team of young men through his spiritual leadership. You look at some of the reactions after the Haiti mission trip, and you'll see.

Tony Jefferson said somewhere along the lines of, "The 9 players that went on the mission trip are closer than ever."

Teammates playing for each other are pretty tough to beat.

SoonerofAlabama
6/13/2011, 09:39 PM
Well, I thought we were talking about leaders on defense. I wouldn't argue that Landry is the leader of the offense. The defense could go to a few people, though.

tfoolry
6/13/2011, 09:57 PM
We're Oklahoma and have Bob Stoops leading. EVERY year is a realistic opportunity for a MNC.

soonervegas
6/13/2011, 10:31 PM
BV's D more than likely has to hold a team to under 14 to put us in a position to win a national title game. Our O's haven't exactly been juggernauts in those games.

SoCaliSooner
6/13/2011, 10:52 PM

Those swing passes to the left...and right over and over aren't exactly a laser threading the needle between defenders....

SoonerofAlabama
6/13/2011, 11:03 PM
I think those swing passes do say a lot about the receivers though. YAC get bumped up a lot by those kind of passes.

Peach Fuzz
6/13/2011, 11:28 PM
I think those swing passes do say a lot about the receivers though. YAC get bumped up a lot by those kind of passes.

Also highly effective way to utilize a miss-match with a lb out on a rb/slot

BoulderSooner79
6/13/2011, 11:35 PM
BV's D more than likely has to hold a team to under 14 to put us in a position to win a national title game. Our O's haven't exactly been juggernauts in those games.*

* Past performance may not predict future results

Fixed.

The Maestro
6/14/2011, 09:55 AM
Let me ask you this, do you see one D that we play that can hold us to less than 30? Even if BVs D gives up 15-20 like the last several years, thats good enough to win it all

This is my point. We surely won't, but we COULD score 40 or more in any game with the offensive fire power we have. Where were Oregon and Auburn's defenses ranked? I don't recall either team being that great on defense...giving up a lot of points.

delhalew
6/14/2011, 10:48 AM
We need to realize we will play an SEC team in their own back yard again, if we are to take number 8. Probably LSU in Nawlins. Another home game, but that just makes winning that much more sweet.

JLEW1818
6/14/2011, 10:50 AM
Bama would not be too bad in New Orleans

yermom
6/14/2011, 10:52 AM
the locals don't like Saban much :D

JLEW1818
6/14/2011, 10:53 AM
the locals don't like Saban much :D

there you go. we can have some extra fans:)

delhalew
6/14/2011, 10:53 AM
Bama would not be too bad in New Orleans

Well, they are a little further from home than LSU.:D

BoulderSooner79
6/14/2011, 11:04 AM
I love the off-season. I'm counting more pre-hatch chickens on this thread than we even have eggs.

BillyBall
6/14/2011, 11:19 AM
'03 in my opinion was the best opportunity with '08 being 2nd.

The fact we didn't win in '03 still bothers me. That team was ridiculous and if it wasn't basically a home game for LSU then we have #8.

The '08 team had a video game offense but when Ryan Reynolds went down against Texas, the defense was never the same. That being said, they still should have beat Florida that night. Left way too many points on the field.

cvsooner
6/14/2011, 11:57 AM

No. He has a habit of throwing picks on the road. Of his 26 interceptions, 20 have been away from Norman.

soonercoop1
6/14/2011, 04:34 PM
BV's D more than likely has to hold a team to under 14 to put us in a position to win a national title game. Our O's haven't exactly been juggernauts in those games.

We will have Heupel as O-coord in the next MNC we play in...

agoo758
6/14/2011, 05:16 PM

The fact we didn't win in '03 still bothers me. That team was ridiculous and if it wasn't basically a home game for LSU then we have #8.

Even then, we should have won easily. That was a very disappointing day for me, especially considering my place of residence.:mad:

mightysooner
6/14/2011, 06:43 PM
No. He has a habit of throwing picks on the road. Of his 26 interceptions, 20 have been away from Norman.

Right. Since we suck on the road, all of our road games are big games.

Sooner Among The Pack
6/15/2011, 11:32 AM

Agreed. For the life of me, I still don't understand what happened in Kansas City. The very mention of Darren Sproles makes me cringe. Then, the four straight passes in the red zone after we finally wore LSU down up front? *Sigh*

htownsooner7
6/15/2011, 02:50 PM
Right. Since we suck on the road, all of our road games are big games.

Have to agree with this, but I thought I saw a marked change in Landry at Stillwater, in Dallas, and in the Fiesta Bowl. All away from home, all under the bright lights. That being said, its also huge when you have a top 10 defense, which we don't have right now. In particular, top ranked run defenses rarely slump. I think the development of our defensive tackles will speak volumes about whether this is a top notch team.

Okie35
6/15/2011, 02:53 PM
Have to agree with this, but I thought I saw a marked change in Landry at Stillwater, in Dallas, and in the Fiesta Bowl. All away from home, all under the bright lights. That being said, its also huge when you have a top 10 defense, which we don't have right now. In particular, top ranked run defenses rarely slump. I think the development of our defensive tackles will speak volumes about whether this is a top notch team.

I think we'll crack the top 10 by the middle of the season.

BoulderSooner79
6/15/2011, 02:56 PM

I think it will be really tough to field a top 10 defense in terms of yards/game as long as our offense runs ~90 plays. That means the other guy gets a couple of extra possessions too that have to be factored in. There is probably some different metrics to look at to better judge how effective the defense is performing.

Okie35
6/15/2011, 03:19 PM

If we had a consistent run game he'd have better numbers and wouldn't have to force so much at times. I think this year our run game will be better. The last two years our running game hasn't been good, especially on the road.

htownsooner7
6/15/2011, 04:33 PM
I think it will be really tough to field a top 10 defense in terms of yards/game as long as our offense runs ~90 plays. That means the other guy gets a couple of extra possessions too that have to be factored in. There is probably some different metrics to look at to better judge how effective the defense is performing.

Very good point about the number of plays our defense is out there, there probably is a better metrics. But my recollection is that we weren't even in the top 50 in rushing defense last year. We gave up over 4 yards per carry.

BoulderSooner79
6/15/2011, 05:38 PM
Very good point about the number of plays our defense is out there, there probably is a better metrics. But my recollection is that we weren't even in the top 50 in rushing defense last year. We gave up over 4 yards per carry.

A different metric right there :) But I wasn't talking about last year; I was referring to what needs to happen this year for OU to be good enough to make a title run. If it really requires top 10 stats, I suspect we're in trouble already. But I don't think it will. Obviously we can't suck, last year's title game did not sport typical defenses. In fact, watching that game made me wish our team had come around sooner - the thought of Broyles going up against the #107 passing defense made me drool. (Of course, there would have been that small matter of stopping Cam Newton).

So I'm not sure what our D needs to do to keep our record clean. My first guess is that to win the conference we need good pass defense, both coverage and QB pressure. The good teams are good in the air in the big12. May not be the best formula for a title game, but you have to win the conference first.

Collier11
6/15/2011, 06:53 PM
Those swing passes to the left...and right over and over aren't exactly a laser threading the needle between defenders....

good job