PDA

View Full Version : Obama Administration Sides with Chavez on Falklands

MR2-Sooner86
6/10/2011, 02:41 PM
Another slap in the face for Britain: the Obama administration sides with Argentina and Venezuela in OAS declaration on the Falklands (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/nilegardiner/100091346/another-slap-in-the-face-for-britain-the-obama-administration-sides-with-argentina-and-venezuela-in-oas-declaration-on-the-falklands/)

President Obama was effusive in his praise for the Special Relationship when he visited London recently, but his administration continues to slap Britain in the face over the highly sensitive Falklands issue. Washington signed on to a “draft declaration on the question of the Malvinas Islands” passed by unanimous consent by the General Assembly of the Organisation of American States (OAS) at its meeting in San Salvador yesterday, an issue which had been heavily pushed by Argentina. In doing so, the United States sided not only with Buenos Aires, but also with a number of anti-American regimes including Hugo Chavez’s Venezuela and Daniel Ortega’s Nicaragua.

The declaration calls for Argentina and Great Britain to enter into negotiations over the sovereignty of the Falklands, a position which London has long viewed as completely unacceptable. It also comes in the wake of increasing aggression by the Kirchner regime in the past 18 months, including threats to blockade British shipping in the South Atlantic.

The OAS declaration, adopted at the fourth plenary session on June 7, states:

It has not yet been possible to resume the negotiations between the two countries with a view to solving the sovereignty dispute over the Malvinas Islands, South Georgias and South Sandwich Islands and the surrounding maritime areas in the framework of resolutions 2065 (XX), 3160 (XXVIII), 31/49, 37/9, 38/12, 39/6, 40/21, 41/40, 42/19 and 43/25 of the United Nations General Assembly, the decisions adopted by the same body on the same question in the Special Committee on Decolonization, and the reiterated resolutions and declarations adopted at this General Assembly; and
HAVING HEARD the presentation by the head of delegation of the Argentine Republic,
WELCOMES the reaffirmation of the will of the Argentine Government to continue exploring all possible avenues towards a peaceful settlement of the dispute and its constructive approach towards the inhabitants of the Malvinas Islands.
REAFFIRMS the need for the Governments of the Argentine Republic and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland to resume, as soon as possible, negotiations on the sovereignty dispute, in order to find a peaceful solution to this protracted controversy.
DECIDES to continue to examine the Question of the Malvinas Islands at its subsequent sessions until a definitive settlement has been reached thereon.

Washington backed a similar resolution in June last year, and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton made it clear in a joint press conference with Cristina Kirchner in Buenos Aires in March 2010 that the Obama administration fully backs Argentina’s calls for negotiations over the Falkands, handing her Argentine counterpart a significant propaganda coup. The State Department has also insultingly referred to the Islands in the past as the Malvinas, the Argentine name for them.

It is hugely disappointing that the Obama administration has chosen once again to side not only with the increasingly authoritarian regime in Argentina, but also with an array of despots in Latin America against British interests. Mrs Clinton should be reminded that 255 brave British servicemen laid down their lives in 1982 for the freedom of the Falkland Islanders, who are overwhelmingly British, following the brutal Argentine invasion.

The sovereignty of the Islands is not a matter for negotiation, and Britain will never give in to threats from Argentina or its tyrannical allies in places such as Venezuela. The White House recently declared that Britain remains America’s most important ally. Now it should live up to its words by supporting Washington’s closest friend and partner on matters of vital British interest, including the future of British subjects living in the South Atlantic, whose only wish is to remain free under the protection of the Union Jack.
As Margaret Thatcher famously reminded the world, in an address to the House of Commons after the Argentine invasion in April 1982, the Falklands are, and always will remain British:

The people of the Falkland Islands, like the people of the United Kingdom, are an island race. Their way of life is British; their allegiance is to the Crown. They are few in number, but they have the right to live in peace, to choose their own way of life and to determine their own allegiance. It is the wish of the British people and the duty of Her Majesty’s Government to do everything that we can to uphold that right. That will be our hope and our Endeavour and, I believe, the resolve of every Member of the House.

This stance makes no sense. They want to stay British, the British have claim to it, and it was settled in '82 so why is there even still a debate?

tator
6/10/2011, 02:47 PM
I don't know about this situation in particular, but I think we should keep our political space from Chavez if at all possible.

He is a time bomb waiting to explode.

delhalew
6/10/2011, 02:59 PM
sigh...

MR2-Sooner86
6/10/2011, 03:02 PM
I don't know about this situation in particular

Argentina says the Falklands are theirs.
The U.K. says the Falklands are theirs.
The U.N. recognizes the Falklands as a U.K. territory.
The people of the Falklands are of U.K. decent and want to stay under U.K. rule.
Argentina tried to invade the Folklands in 1982.
The U.K. sent their forces down there and defeated Argentina.

There's nothing to debate on this issue unless you're just trying to start some sort of trouble.

stoopified
6/10/2011, 03:03 PM
I don't know about this situation in particular, but I think we should keep our political space from Chavez if at all possible.

He is a time bomb waiting to explode.Chavez hates the US,so not only should we not agree with him,we should OPPOSE him whenever possible.He is a Castro clone..... or is that clown?

Mongo
6/10/2011, 03:04 PM
I want to see a war other than the US's.

LET'S GET IT ON!!!

My Opinion Matters
6/10/2011, 03:10 PM
What Obama is trying to do truely crosses the line. It's outrages. No one in his posion has attempted this kind of stunt before. It's unpresidented and this wonton abuse of power needs to be checked. Tahkfully we as americans are the checks in balances. Power to the people. Its heartworming to see my community come together on this, to see the people untied and standing a long slide one and other in definance of this demonic demigod demogouge. Together we are going to pull the plug on Obama. Opearation Black Out is in fool effect.

Jammin'
6/10/2011, 03:13 PM
sigh...

Does that mean you're ready for a beer?

RACHEL MADDOW is my clone
6/10/2011, 03:13 PM
What Obama is trying to do truely crosses the line. It's outrages. No one in his posion has attempted this kind of stunt before. It's unpresidented and this wonton abuse of power needs to be checked. Tahkfully we as americans are the checks in balances. Power to the people. Its heartworming to see my community come together on this, to see the people untied and standing a long slide one and other in definance of this demonic demigod demogouge. Together we are going to pull the plug on Obama. Opearation Black Out is in fool effect.

i DID NOT KNOW sARAH pALIN POSTS HERE!!!

mgsooner
6/10/2011, 03:14 PM

Gald dayum rite

delhalew
6/10/2011, 03:15 PM

I wish that funny.

My Opinion Matters
6/10/2011, 03:22 PM
I wish that funny.

Thank you man for adding some much needed rationality and calm incense to this thread. With Reagan and Bush Senor we had two very polished politicians who we knew what we were going to get form when they spoke. Bush Junior may have not been as well seasoned as his father, but factor in Cheney and he is very well accompliced. With Obama we have a junior senator community organizer who you never know what your going to get from. I sure hope that tellitprompter doesn't go on the frit's and we get another Special Olympics moment! Anymore well thawed out dessertations on the Cambirdge police, professor?

The big man in the big White House has alot of influence on the kids. And that's EXACTLY why someone like Reagan spoke directly to kids when he did several decayeds ago. But there is a DIFFERENCE. Reagan was preaching against the evils of getting involved at an early age in getaway drugs and engagging in sexual acts. Where as Obama's intention is just as dark and cloudy and mysterious as he is. And children are impressionable. You don't thing he does'nt know this?The current big man in the White House is no different than Maryland Mansion in this manor.

The
6/10/2011, 03:23 PM
I don't care at all This seems... interesting.... No, really. I don't give a ****

OUMallen
6/10/2011, 03:29 PM
Chavez hates the US,so not only should we not agree with him,we should OPPOSE him whenever possible.

I am in NO way talking about the Falklands, but this idea as a hard and fast rule is a terrible idea.

delhalew
6/10/2011, 03:29 PM
Does that mean you're ready for a beer?

Let me tell you, brother...I have mighty thrust, and an angry mind that needs to be silenced.

soonercruiser
6/10/2011, 03:34 PM
Argentina says the Falklands are theirs.
The U.K. says the Falklands are theirs.
The U.N. recognizes the Falklands as a U.K. territory.
The people of the Falklands are of U.K. decent and want to stay under U.K. rule.
Argentina tried to invade the Folklands in 1982.
The U.K. sent their forces down there and defeated Argentina.

There's nothing to debate on this issue unless you're just trying to start some sort of trouble.

What are community organizers trained to do???
No suprise here!
Obama certainly wasn't trained to understand the American economy.
:rolleyes:

soonercruiser
6/10/2011, 03:36 PM
i DID NOT KNOW sARAH pALIN POSTS HERE!!!

You post like Rachel Madcow thinks!

Dio
6/10/2011, 03:44 PM
Those "Hugo Chavez Book of the Month Club" guys really do stick together, don't they?

texaspokieokie
6/10/2011, 05:54 PM
Chavez hates the US,so not only should we not agree with him,we should OPPOSE him whenever possible.He is a Castro clone..... or is that clown?

clone of a clown shud be a clown.

SouthCarolinaSooner
6/10/2011, 06:53 PM
remember the belgrano

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/ARA_Belgrano_sinking.jpg

C&CDean
6/10/2011, 07:00 PM
Yeah, like I remember this thread.

C&CDean
6/10/2011, 07:03 PM
Who the **** are you, and what are you doing on this board?

C&CDean
6/10/2011, 07:07 PM
So, when do we call you JD?

C&CDean
6/10/2011, 07:08 PM
Oh, hey, the thread is closed. Which means only like me and Dean and Phil and a couple of others can post in it.

I guess I can pick up the slack for the people who can't:
O'Bummber
Obear
Oblate Mass
SLAP IN THE FACE
OUTRAGE!!!!

You left out:

O'Palin
OP****
GWBdie!!
FAUX OUTRAGE!!!

C&CDean
6/10/2011, 07:13 PM
My hate PM box is plum/plumb full. I don't read them anyhow.

Good luck on May Mikey.