PDA

View Full Version : Ford Unveils Its First Electric Car

pphilfran
6/10/2011, 09:09 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/01/07/ford-unveils-electric-car/

NEW YORK – Ford's new Focus compact car isn't even on sale yet, but the automaker has revealed plans to add an electric version by the end of 2011. The Focus Electric is a pure, zero-emissions battery-powered car similar in concept to the recently launched Nissan Leaf.

Unlike the uniquely designed Leaf, the Focus Electric is nearly identical to the conventional version of the car, save for a slightly different front fascia and a charging input located behind the driver's side front fender, along with the requisite "Electric" logos. Five passengers will fit in an interior that is also largely unchanged, although part of the battery system encroaches on cargo space in the form of a large box behind the seats measuring about one foot high by one foot deep.

Ford says that the 23 kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery pack developed with LG Chem can be fully charged in just 3-4 hours using a 240-volt outlet, about half of the time that it takes to fill up the one in a Leaf. The main difference between the two is that the Nissan pack is air-cooled while the Focus has a more complex, liquid cooled and heated system that facilitates the use of a higher wattage on board charging system, 6.6 kW vs 3.3 kW, without causing damage to the battery.

At the unveiling of the Focus Electric in New York, the car's chief engineer, Eric Kehun, said that Ford hasn't determined the range of the car yet, but that it will be better than the Chevrolet Volt's and competitive with the Leaf's, which puts it in a ballpark between 50 and 100 miles. Kehun added that prospective customers are prepared for the fact that they can't go as far as a gasoline-fueled car between fill-ups and are willing to adjust their driving style accordingly.

Pricing for the Focus Electric hasn't been set, but Ford says that it will be competitive with similar vehicles on the market. The Nissan Leaf currently retails for $32,780. Both cars are eligible for a $7,500 federal tax credit and various state incentives.

Ford has teamed up with electronics retailer Best Buy to offer a Ford-branded 240-volt home charging station for $1,499, which includes the cost of Geek Squad installation. The price is about 30 percent less than current offerings from other automakers.

The Focus Electric will be built in Wayne, Michigan at the same factory set to build the Focus. The car will be available in 19 cities across the country by the end of 2011, and will continue to roll out nationwide throughout 2012.

delhalew
6/10/2011, 09:12 AM
I'll bet it out sells the volt, even without massive orders from the gub'ment and a rash of fraudulent sales from dealers aiming to steal a tax credit.

pphilfran
6/10/2011, 09:22 AM
I'll bet it out sells the volt, even without massive orders from the gub'ment and a rash of fraudulent sales from dealers aiming to steal a tax credit.

I am not so sure...I think it is too early for battery only vehicles...an 80 mile range limits the number of buyers...can't be your only car cause you ain't going out of town in a Leaf or a Ford....a 10k battery pack to get 80 miles ain't good enough imo...and that range is with a new battery, what will range be in 5 years? What will resale be on a car with 50 or 60 miles range...and new electrics in 5 years will have superior batteries at lower costs and that will drive resale down further...

picasso
6/10/2011, 09:28 AM
Meanwhile, the head of GMC calls for higher gas taxation.

effin up yours.

delhalew
6/10/2011, 09:37 AM
I am not so sure...I think it is too early for battery only vehicles...an 80 mile range limits the number of buyers...can't be your only car cause you ain't going out of town in a Leaf or a Ford....a 10k battery pack to get 80 miles ain't good enough imo...and that range is with a new battery, what will range be in 5 years? What will resale be on a car with 50 or 60 miles range...and new electrics in 5 years will have superior batteries at lower costs and that will drive resale down further...

I agree. No way in hell I'm buying one. On the other hand, the focus is a proven model, and Ford is a better ran company. It would hard for it to tank as badly as the volt.

NormanPride
6/10/2011, 09:38 AM
I need at least 120 miles. From here to Norman is 111. :D

yermom
6/10/2011, 09:38 AM
i want an electric compact truck

those prices and range just aren't quite there yet though

tator
6/10/2011, 09:43 AM
I need at least 200 to be comfortable. I drive 120 a day and I'm not taking a risk of being stranded by a dead battery.

Once these get more popular, and run off of standard outlets, I wonder how much electricity theiving will go on? Almost dead? Just stop outside QT and find a plug to use for a while.

NormanPride
6/10/2011, 09:43 AM
Isn't the point of a truck to tow stuff? And wouldn't towing stuff drain an electric engine really fast?

yermom
6/10/2011, 09:47 AM
big trucks tow stuff...

small trucks haul large/awkward stuff that doesn't fit in my car :D

tator
6/10/2011, 09:54 AM
You're supposed to tie it on top of your car, duh

yermom
6/10/2011, 10:00 AM
not my car :D

Sooner_Tuf
6/10/2011, 10:44 AM
Isn't the point of a truck to tow stuff? And wouldn't towing stuff drain an electric engine really fast?

Trains are electric. Hybrid technically I guess.

bigfatjerk
6/10/2011, 10:47 AM
I agree. No way in hell I'm buying one. On the other hand, the focus is a proven model, and Ford is a better ran company. It would hard for it to tank as badly as the volt.
I agree, but saying it'll do better than the Volt or Leaf is setting pretty low standards.

texaspokieokie
6/10/2011, 10:50 AM
Trains are electric. Hybrid technically I guess.

Hybrid for sure !!! trains have huge diesel engines to keep the electricity flowing.

pphilfran
6/10/2011, 11:00 AM
Hybrid for sure !!! trains have huge diesel engines to keep the electricity flowing.

They are a Volt with a dead battery...

soonercruiser
6/10/2011, 03:56 PM
Phil,
What's the bottom line?
How much does it cost to charge an elec car at 250 volts, and 6 hours?

pphilfran
6/10/2011, 04:07 PM
Phil,
What's the bottom line?
How much does it cost to charge an elec car at 250 volts, and 6 hours?

Around a couple of bucks...

It also depends on how many cycles the battery will accept...they probably expect two or three thousand charge cycles before the battery is toast..so depending on battery cost another buck or two per charge...

the-rover
6/10/2011, 05:36 PM
I need at least 200 to be comfortable. I drive 120 a day and I'm not taking a risk of being stranded by a dead battery.

I'm with ya....I go 120 myself. But they also need to shave about 15k off the price tag before I even think about one.

texaspokieokie
6/10/2011, 05:38 PM
They are a Volt with a dead battery...

except volt has little bitty engine, & train engine is as big as a (small) house.