PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State fan

jk the sooner fan
6/10/2011, 09:08 AM
a discussion with

yesterday evening, i had the opportunity to speak with a friend who is an Ohio St. fan

i casually asked him if he was concerned about the NCAA and what he thought the fall out would be

dude is delusional - he thinks that the NCAA will do very little if anything simply because of the $$ that Ohio St brings to the tv markets

he thinks "maybe" one year out of the BCS and a loss of a few schollies

he thinks that USC got hammered because they arent on the same level as Ohio St.

i wanted to tell him i thought he was on crack

boomersooner28
6/10/2011, 09:15 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!! :D

Good stuff. They are delusional. They are making Petey and SUC look like alter boys right now.

MyT Oklahoma
6/10/2011, 09:27 AM
When the NCAA finally comes down with a decision it will be fun to watch OSU's fans reactions if this is their mentality.

Should be classic. :pop:

badger
6/10/2011, 09:29 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_AhGe9uhQ1N0/SbiHYLTvMZI/AAAAAAAAF_I/rk9junYPsLo/s400/too-big-to-fail.jpg

rekamrettuB
6/10/2011, 09:35 AM
he thinks that USC got hammered because they arent on the same level as Ohio St.

i wanted to tell him i thought he was on crack

This is true...he doesn't realize that Ohio State is on the level below USC.

I guess they are pretty close to the same level. Both are to 5-10 programs. Think USC probably has more legit NCs. Hard to tell tho since 1 was stripped, 1 was an AP 2003 and 3 were from pre-1936

Lawton4Life
6/10/2011, 09:36 AM
What is it about being a fan of a football team that turns people delusional?

BoomerJack
6/10/2011, 09:42 AM
What is it about being a fan of a football team that turns people delusional?

That's a good question. One never sees any evidence of any Sooner fans acting/being delusional.

meoveryouxinfinity
6/10/2011, 09:45 AM
USC fans thought the same thing. They were so angry when the ruling came out. It was epic.

I was only mad about the vacated 2005 wins. But that was reversed.. I guess the NCAA Really did value OU's willingness to actively self investigate and also aid the NCAA investigation.

Lawton4Life
6/10/2011, 09:51 AM
That's a good question. One never sees any evidence of any Sooner fans acting/being delusional.

I didnt say tOSU fan, I said football...meaning there are delusional folks in every single fanbase.

When it comes to sports seemingly normal people throw their brains out the windows.

BoomerJack
6/10/2011, 09:55 AM
I didnt say tOSU fan, I said football...meaning there are delusional folks in every single fanbase.

When it comes to sports seemingly normal people throw their brains out the windows.

My bad, L4L. You're absolutely correct.

SoonerofAlabama
6/10/2011, 10:01 AM
When the NCAA finally comes down with a decision it will be fun to watch OSU's fans reactions if this is their mentality.

Should be classic. :pop:

I am thinking riot in the streets. :D

Partial Qualifier
6/10/2011, 10:04 AM
I'd hate to be a couch in Columbus, OH when it all hits the fan

Lawton4Life
6/10/2011, 10:04 AM
they burn couches when they're happy, who knows what they'll do when they're sad.

texaspokieokie
6/10/2011, 10:12 AM

can you remember 1989 ???

Sooner_Tuf
6/10/2011, 10:25 AM
Probably for the wrong reason but in the past the guy was probably right. It was unusual for a big program to get hammered. Times have changed. It's very hard to hide information now. Once it's out it spreads like wildfire. Plus the NCAA currently has a guy that isn't afraid to swing a big stick and doesn't seem to care who gets hit.

As for tOSU being on another level than USC. You could make that argument pretty easily. tOSU is huge, the school is huge, the fanbase is huge, the Athletic Department is the biggest in the Nation I believe.

USC is a private school. It is a rich school but compared to tOSU it wouldn't have near the influence. Besides USC doesn't seem to have a working relationship with the NCAA.

If all the allegations at tOSU prove to have merit they are going to get slammed like nobody we have ever seen. But it remains to be seen how much of this is really true and provable. Will the NCAA dedicate the resources to really find out?

Who knows where this is really going? Six months ago I thought Auburn was f'kt. I know that isn't completely over but for the most part they are going to get away with their transgressions.

101sooner
6/10/2011, 11:20 AM
a discussion with

dude is delusional - he thinks that the NCAA will do very little if anything simply because of the $$ that Ohio St brings to the tv markets

This reasoning has never made any sense. The NCAA would still make plenty of money even if they gave tOSU a permanent death penalty. The NCAA has a history of hammering big programs. They don't care how important a program thinks it is.

SOFSooner
6/10/2011, 11:45 AM
I will have to call my cousins in Columbus (also huge tOSU fans) and see what they think what the NCAA will do to the buckeyes. They do have moments of being lucid I think.

Scott D
6/10/2011, 12:47 PM
This reasoning has never made any sense. The NCAA would still make plenty of money even if they gave tOSU a permanent death penalty. The NCAA has a history of hammering big programs. They don't care how important a program thinks it is.

Nobody will ever get the 'death penalty' again. The closest they've gotten to any major program getting it since SMU was Kentucky hoops under Eddie Sutton, and even then they held back. Allegedly, Alabama and Auburn at separate times in the 80s flirted with it, but neither got very close to it.

soonerchk
6/10/2011, 12:58 PM
Were you talking to my brother in law?

Scott D
6/10/2011, 01:01 PM
your brother in law said that nothing would happen to ohio state, but the other 11 members of the big 10 were about to lose 10 scholarships and have to play every game in the horseshoe the next three years.

soonerchk
6/10/2011, 01:03 PM
My brother in law says it's an ESPN conspiracy and the NCAA isn't going to care because it wasn't that bad.

MyT Oklahoma
6/10/2011, 01:30 PM
My brother in law says it's an ESPN conspiracy and the NCAA isn't going to care because it wasn't that bad.

Well I can't wait to see the look on his face when it's all over with.

OSU's coach knowingly lied to the NCAA so this (the punishment) should be good.

soonerchk
6/10/2011, 01:35 PM
Well I can't wait to see the look on his face when it's all over with.

OSU's coach knowingly lied to the NCAA so this (the punishment) should be good.

Yes, I pointed out to him that your coach intentionally lying to the NCAA doesn't usually result in good things. But in his mind, Tressel didn't lie, Pryor did and Tressel had to take the fall for him.

Don't ask me to explain it, makes no sense to me either.

PDXsooner
6/10/2011, 01:36 PM
This is true...he doesn't realize that Ohio State is on the level below USC.

I guess they are pretty close to the same level. Both are to 5-10 programs. Think USC probably has more legit NCs. Hard to tell tho since 1 was stripped, 1 was an AP 2003 and 3 were from pre-1936

And their 1939 title wasn't claimed until 2004.

BoomerJack
6/10/2011, 03:04 PM
can you remember 1989 ???

It's very hazy. I was doing a lot of heroin at the time.

rekamrettuB
6/10/2011, 03:16 PM

1st time a head coach of that stature has resigned over a silly conspiracy.

Scott D
6/10/2011, 03:57 PM
1st time a head coach of that stature has resigned over a silly conspiracy.

up there they still don't see what the big deal was about Woody Hayes choking a Clemson player...that was a conspiracy too.

SoonerDan74012
6/10/2011, 04:04 PM
I guess this isn't a big deal either. :D

Sources: Terrelle Pryor indulged in golf

Email
Print
Comments98

By Tom Farrey and Justine Gubar
ESPN

Former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor's relationship with memorabilia salesman Dennis Talbott dates to before Pryor ever took the field at Ohio Stadium, sources have told ESPN's "Outside the Lines."

Pryor and several other Buckeyes players were spotted at a private golf course near Columbus three to four times a week in summer 2008 with Talbott, who was a member. It was before Pryor's freshman season, but after he had already enrolled at the university, according to employees of the club, including the general manager.

It is unclear whether any of the players reimbursed Talbott for the $80- to $100-a-round guest fees. Even if they had, gaining access to the club through Talbott was an exclusive benefit and could be an NCAA violation.

At first, general manager Regan Koivisto thought having a few celebrities would generate a good buzz for the Sciota Reserve Country Club. But, he said, he started to worry when they became frequent guests -- and when he learned that Talbott was a sports memorabilia dealer.

"I said, 'This does not smell good,' " Koivisto said. "If anything bad was happening, I didn't want it to be happening on my property."

Koivisto called the Ohio State athletic department and said he spoke to coach Jim Tressel's secretary. He said he told the woman about how he was concerned about Talbott and Pryor playing together at the club.

"She asked, 'Can I have Coach Tressel call you?' I said, 'He can,' " Koivisto said. "Coach never did call me back. But I never saw Pryor at the club again."

No one else from Ohio State contacted Koivisto, either.

Pryor's attorney, Larry James, would not address the golf outings directly.

"These are really recycled stories. I'm just tired. I don't think it serves any purpose going back and forth because every day there is going to be new allegations," James said. "I haven't discussed them, and quite honestly won't be discussing them because they don't add anything to where he is today."

Talbott showed up at the golf club with two or three players at a time during the summer months, and Pryor was out there about nine or 10 times, said an employee at the club who wished to remain anonymous. The only other player he remembered by name was wide receiver DeVier Posey.

Officials with Ohio State said they could not comment on Posey due to federal student privacy rules.

The employee said Talbott was "kind of boastful" about being around Pryor and other star athletes.

"They seemed to be pretty close," he said.

Talbott was a member of the club from May to September 2008, when he was kicked out due to unpaid bills in the "thousands of dollars," Koivisto said.

Talbott has a trail of debts to various companies stretching across several Ohio counties. Public records also show that tax liens were filed against Talbott by the federal government in 2009 for $278,000, and by the state of Ohio in 2010 for $74,000.

rekamrettuB
6/10/2011, 04:09 PM
Sounds like Pryor had him a sugar daddy. I wonder if this jock-sniffer had a mullet too?

SoonerDan74012
6/10/2011, 04:21 PM
Sounds like Pryor had him a sugar daddy. I wonder if this jock-sniffer had a mullet too?

This guy? :D

Guy Paying Pryor Hides Buckeye Memorabilia Biz
Posted by Brooks on Jun. 10, 2011, 3:01am

Tuesday I reported that the NCAA had discovered checks passed from Columbus freelance photographer Dennis Talbott to former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor in exchange for signing Buckeye memorabilia while Pryor was still in school. (At the beginning of each school year, the NCAA has all student-athletes sign a consent form which allows the intercollegiate governing body to access their bank records at any time.)

Terrelle Pryor signed items for Dennis Talbott who sold them on Ebay and through Varsity O Memorabiiia operation

(Top Left Pryor Photo Has Ebay Watermark (Bottom Right Of Image))

Talbott, who was formally banned from associating with the Ohio State football program by the school last year and owns a Buckeye-themed vehicle with the vanity plate “T PRYOR”, was also seen selling autographed Pryor memorabilia on Ebay as recently as three days ago.

Dennis Talbott selling game-used Ohio State player-only memorabilia on Ebay

Using the Ebay screen name “infickellwetrust“, Talbott has since pulled all 250 items he had listed off the website. Among those items was signed memorabilia from Pryor along with game-used, autographed items from multiple former Ohio State Buckeye football players.

In the 48 hours since I reported those revelations, I’ve learned of an additional, stand-alone operation that Talbott has used to sell Ohio State football memorabilia. Talbott calls the business, which is unregistered in the state of Ohio, Varsity O Memorabilia.

Dennis Talbott Varsity O Memorabilia Operation

A current “Varsity O Memorabilia” Facebook page, last updated in April, features some of the product procured by Talbott over the years from dozens of Buckeye football and basketball players. Many of the items seen signed in the Facebook photos came from then-current Ohio State players like Terrelle Pryor and Ted Ginn, Jr.

Ted Ginn, Jr., Terrelle Pryor signing for Dennis Talbott

In the top-left photo Ginn is seen signing an Ohio State football helmet which may have seen game action while the above Pryor photo features an Ebay watermark in the bottom right corner of the image.

Also seen in the Facebook photos either signing memorabilia for Talbott or posing for photos later autographed by the subject are A.J. Hawk, James Laurinaitis, Maurice Wells, Greg Oden, Mike Conley, Chris Wells, Mike D’Andrea, Troy Smith, Quinn Pitcock - among other former Buckeye football and basketball players.

Some of the photos of Talbott’s memorabilia procurement were taken at officially-sanctioned Ohio State events, so newly-ousted OSU coach Jim Tressel is seen on more than one occasion signing various items for Talbott.

Jim Tressel signing memorabilia for Dennis Talbott

In the montage above, the Tressel-signed photo Talbott was selling on Ebay last Wednesday was identical to the photo Tressel was seen signing for Talbott in the above Facebook picture uploaded on March 29, 2011. A copy of the same signed image was also seen framed in a “Limited Edition” album as part of Talbott’s Varsity O Memorabilia Facebook page.

In one particular “Varsity O” Facebook promotional page photo, the former Ohio State football coach is seen signing a Buckeye football mini helmet. At the bottom of the picture is the web address VARSITYOMEN.com.

Jim Tressel signing memorabilia for Dennis Talbott

The cell phone number listed for Talbott on his photographer media credential for the Columbus-based This Week In Football publication and in Federal and Delaware County, Ohio, court documents matches the telephone contact number for the only person ever registered as owner of the VARSITYOMEM.com website. The site URL, which was first purchased in 2007, is no longer operable.

On August 14, 2007, a person with the screen name “VarsityOMem” posted a promotional message for an Agonis Club of Columbus event in which the Ohio State Buckeyes football team would be appearing.

Dennis Talbott Board Member Of Agonis Club of Columbus

A public records search this week for “Dennis J. Talbott” confirmed that he has served as a board member for Agonis Club of Columbus.

While the extent of the relationship between Talbott and Pryor is not known, at the very least it has now been verified that Talbott was recently - earlier this week - selling Pryor-signed merchandise on Ebay. In addition to that, I can now confirm that Talbott sold photos and footballs signed by Pryor in 2008.

Terrelle Pryor signed items for Dennis Talbott who sold them on Ebay and through Varsity O Memorabiiia operation

Worthpoint.com, which archives Ebay auctions, has records of at least three Pryor auctions in late 2008 executed by Talbott’s Varsity O memorabilia operation. That unregistered business also auctioned off a signed photo of Buckeye football players Smith, Ginn, Donte Whitner, Jamario O’Neal, and Curtis Terry in 2006, a Wells-signed football in 2007 and an autographed picture of DeVier Posey and Lamar Thomas in 2008.

Many of the photos signed by Buckeye players for Talbott - if not all - were taken by Talbott himself. Until recently, Talbott was granted full media access to the Ohio State football and basketball teams by the school’s athletic department as a photograper. Though, in his work for Icon SMI, Talbott was not paid for his assignments - only for the individual photos he sold to media outlets.

Dennis Talbott selling game-used Ohio State player-only memorabilia on Ebay

It was that same, unfettered access provided by the Ohio State Athletics and Compliance Departments that also allowed Talbott to obtain autographs from innumerable Ohio State football and basketball players for many years, which he subsequently benefited from financially and otherwise.

That’s precisely the reason why he was - finally - cut off from those high profile Ohio State athletes and placed on blacklist by OSU athletic department officials I’ve confirmed as reservd for those officially disassociated from the program.

Octavian
6/10/2011, 04:22 PM
I'd imagine a lot of their fanbase is either still in the denial stage or just holding out hope for the best. That's understandable.

But they're gonna find out they're not too big to fail. Oklahoma wasn't. Alabama and Southern Cal weren't either.

And the NCAA isn't like a common law courtroom, it's a political entity that wants to satisfy the public sentiment. By the time it's over --especially with ESPN fanning the flames --the NCAA is gonna bring down the Hammer of God on Ohio State.

MyT Oklahoma
6/10/2011, 06:13 PM
Yes, I pointed out to him that your coach intentionally lying to the NCAA doesn't usually result in good things. But in his mind, Tressel didn't lie, Pryor did and Tressel had to take the fall for him.

Don't ask me to explain it, makes no sense to me either.

This is fricking hilarious. The only OSU fan that I know (and she lives in Columbus) simply doesn't want to talk about this any more because she already knows the wrath of God is a coming.

CBUS_SOONER
6/10/2011, 08:36 PM
A couple of thing about these idiots... yes they all think woody and tre$$ r the greatest...still. and like I have said in the past, all the typical idiots are who always want to run their mouths r nowhere to be found. I hope the NCAA has a pair and I hope it hurts

King Barry's Back
6/10/2011, 09:09 PM

OK, it is possible that the NCAA will easy on them. Unlikely, but possible. But it won't have anything to do with the "money" they bring in. Why do *********s always come up with weird conspiracy theories like that?

He even undermines his own argument. If big TV money programs are untouchable, how does he explain the premier, West Coast program, in America's second largest TV market and largest state -- WITH NO NFL TEAM -- getting hammered?

"They're not in our league." Ridiculous.

ouwasp
6/11/2011, 12:51 AM
Buckeye fans should consider themselves lucky the NCAA doesn't hand out the TV bans anymore... (don't know why that is)

Hmmm.... imagine this: A TV ban, and the school's radio announcer is really second-rate. That pain must be exqusite,

101sooner
6/11/2011, 10:34 AM
Honestly, and I'm not trying to be over-dramatic here. If the golf course thing is true, this is one of the worst NCAA violation cases I've ever seen.

It's not the violation, it's the fact that the top of the chain of command knew there was a violation and failed to self-report and continued to play the athletes anyway. That's twice we know this happened, once with tattoo-gate and now with the golf course.

The NCAA Committee on Infractions provides the following list as a roadmap for institutions to avoid a finding of a lack of institutional control:

blah, blah, blah then...

* The chief executive officer and other senior administrators make clear that they demand compliance with NCAA rules and that they will not tolerate those who deliberately violate the rules or do so through gross negligence.
* The institution and its staff members have a long history of self-detecting, self-reporting and self-investigating all potential violations.

76soonergrad
6/11/2011, 01:18 PM
I live in Buckeye country. Folks at work are saying, "sanctions."

If only tOSU would have to forfeit their bowl win vs. Arkansas....Then they have never officially beaten an SEC school.

soonerchk
6/11/2011, 01:29 PM
It's not the violation, it's the fact that the top of the chain of command knew there was a violation and failed to self-report and continued to play the athletes anyway. That's twice we know this happened, once with tattoo-gate and now with the golf course.

Exactly. You can only do so much to control these kids, but once you know there's a problem, you have to do something besides ignore it and hope no one notices.

silverwheels
6/11/2011, 03:05 PM
The NCAA should sanction themselves for letting Pryor and the other players play in the Sugar Bowl when they knew they had committed violations and could have had them suspended, but chose to wait until the next season. Kind of moot now, but it wasn't then.

MyT Oklahoma
6/11/2011, 03:27 PM
I see that Sugar Bowl victory being vacated before this is all over with.

Can you say "0 and 10" versus the SEC?

wright8750
6/11/2011, 03:37 PM
Any Ohio State fan that thinks the school is not going to be hammered over these events is living in la la land. The NCAA is already taking a lot of heat over their make up as you go along rulings. After ruling that the five Ohio State players were suspended for the first five games of 2011, but were allowed to play in the bowl game was announced everyone knew that State was being given preferential treatment. This was all about money and power. Now the whole thing has blown up in the NCAA's face. They are going hammer the Buckeyes not only for all of the violations that are coming to light but also to cover their own ***. Not only will the athletic director be gone but Mr. Bow tie will be looking for a job. He ought to write a book about the Comedian that wasn't. I hope the Huskers take their first Big 10 title and play the Sooners in the Sugar Bowl.

Sooner_Tuf
6/12/2011, 05:32 AM
This is the second time I have seen you post the NCAA makes up rules as they go. It may seem that way to you but if you download and read them that feeling will go away.

101sooner
6/12/2011, 08:59 AM
This is the second time I have seen you post the NCAA makes up rules as they go. It may seem that way to you but if you download and read them that feeling will go away.

Spot on.

brainpimp
6/12/2011, 09:26 AM
wright8750 +100

You made a great post.

TheUnnamedSooner
6/13/2011, 01:15 PM
I can't wait to go up there in a couple years :D

fwsooner22
6/13/2011, 01:27 PM
Funny isn't it ..... This summer Nebraska found out that "they" are not as smart as they thought (as they lost their preferential AAU research standing) and then they found out that the Big 10 conference diamond (OSU) is full of the biggest bunch of cheaters ever. Wan't a do over ?

jk the sooner fan
6/13/2011, 01:29 PM
and now T. Pryor has hired Drew Rosenhaus as his agent

imo this is a stupid move - a lower profiled agent would have been a much easier path to the NFL

NormanPride
6/13/2011, 01:32 PM

imo this is a stupid move - a lower profiled agent would have been a much easier path to the NFL
And Pryor has a history of smart decisions, yes? :)

BoulderSooner79
6/13/2011, 01:47 PM

Agreed. He has already been declared a huge project by every expert and anything higher than 5th round would be a gamble. So sure, go with an agent that is generally a pain in the a** to work with.

soonerchk
6/13/2011, 01:48 PM
Agreed. He has already been declared a huge project by every expert and anything higher than 5th round would be a gamble. So sure, go with an agent that is generally a pain in the a** to work with.

Who else would want to work with him?

BoulderSooner79
6/13/2011, 01:52 PM
Who else would want to work with him?

I don't see why an agent would reject his business. But if I'm an owner and I'm thinking about taking a flyer on him as a 4th rounder, I might change my mind if I knew the agent is going to demand 3rd round money and even threaten to hold out. Not worth the trouble.

soonerchk
6/13/2011, 01:59 PM
I don't see why an agent would reject his business. But if I'm an owner and I'm thinking about taking a flyer on him as a 4th rounder, I might change my mind if I knew the agent is going to demand 3rd round money and even threaten to hold out. Not worth the trouble.

I know I've added nuisance charges to clients that were going to be high maintenance. Just sayin.

jk the sooner fan
6/13/2011, 02:05 PM

i think this is more a reflection of TP's ego being out of whack from reality - Rosenhaus would be stupid to turn down his 10% of whatever he's able to get - but he also might be working for free for a bit longer than he would be otherwise

BoulderSooner79
6/13/2011, 02:32 PM
i think this is more a reflection of TP's ego being out of whack from reality - Rosenhaus would be stupid to turn down his 10% of whatever he's able to get - but he also might be working for free for a bit longer than he would be otherwise

I get as excited as the next fan when OU signs some highly rated player. But after the way things went with Terrell Pryor and Bryce Brown, I'll cringe if we ever sign a guy that waits weeks after signing day to commit just so he gets the spotlight to himself.

jk the sooner fan
6/13/2011, 02:33 PM
I get as excited as the next fan when OU signs some highly rated player. But after the way things went with Terrell Pryor and Bryce Brown, I'll cringe if we ever sign a guy that waits weeks after signing day to commit just so he gets the spotlight to himself.

remember XLK?

NormanPride
6/13/2011, 03:08 PM
I know I've added nuisance charges to clients that were going to be high maintenance. Just sayin.
Stingy.