PDA

View Full Version : Gunner Kiel to decide Sunday???

NorCal Sooner
6/9/2011, 01:26 PM
Am I late to the party or what? or this could be total BS, but "rumors" on some other boards are that Gunner is going to commit this sunday to Bama or OU.

When asked about the possibility of Kiel, Durron Neal dropped this little nugget:

"He really didn’t talk a lot, he was with coach Heupel and I was with coach Norvell. It was like a 10 minute thing, they had us both in the room and then they got out. When I left I asked what he was going to do and he gave me a little wink and I don’t know if that meant you’ll see or if we were going to play together."

I'm sure not going to get my hopes up based on message board rumors, but it would be cool if he commited to OU.

CBUS_SOONER
6/9/2011, 01:30 PM
On Rivals radio this am they had a recruiting guru on and he thinks he is gonna pick OU... Hope he is correct

badger
6/9/2011, 01:31 PM
I'm recruit illiterate. When you all post recruiting updates, can you include links to their info or just give a little background?

EDIT: Like this!
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ohiostate/football/recruiting/player-Gunner-Kiel-102803

http://hsindiana.scout.com/a.z?s=389&p=8&c=1&nid=4358413

Another quarterback, holy cow. I know it's optimal to get at least one in every class, but it seems like we're getting more than that

badger
6/9/2011, 01:38 PM
OK, so here's our current QBs on roster according to SS.com:

Sherrard, Ben 6-4 220 JR Arlington, Texas (Lamar HS)
Cochran, Cayden 6-0 182 JR Cashion, Okla. (Coffeyville CC)
Bell, Blake 6-6 241 RS FR Wichita, Kan. (Bishop Carroll HS)
Thompson, Kendal 6-1 170 FR Oklahoma City, Okla. (Southmoore HS)
Jones, Landry 6-4 230 JR Artesia, N.M. (Artesia HS)
Rossi, Daniel 6-1 200 FR Edmond, Okla. (North HS)
Allen, Drew 6-5 236 SO San Antonio, Texas (Alamo Heights HS)

Anyone know anything about these guys and who our incoming recruits are at the position? Are these guys walk-ons, about to change positions...???

NorCal Sooner
6/9/2011, 01:40 PM
My bad. I forget that folks don't follow recruiting as much as i do..... The reason this would be a big deal is that OU's offense would fit Kiel's style very well, and he's a great QB. This would be a huge get for OU.

I'm recruit illiterate. When you all post recruiting
updates, can you include links to their info or just give a little background?

EDIT: Like this!
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ohiostate/football/recruiting/player-Gunner-Kiel-102803

http://hsindiana.scout.com/a.z?s=389&p=8&c=1&nid=4358413

Another quarterback, holy cow. I know it's optimal to get at least one in every class, but it seems like we're getting more than that

Mad Dog Madsen
6/9/2011, 01:45 PM
Talked to Gunner earlier and he said it would definitely be OU simply because of Coach Heupel. He loves him. Mark it down...

NorCal Sooner
6/9/2011, 01:45 PM
My uneducated guess would be that Jones starts until he leaves duhh, then Bell and Allen would fight for the starting job with Thompson in at QB for special plays. Kiel would RS his first year and be next in line his SO or JR year.

Mad Dog Madsen
6/9/2011, 01:51 PM
My uneducated guess would be that Jones starts until he leaves duhh, then Bell and Allen would fight for the starting job with Thompson in at QB for special plays. Kiel would RS his first year and be next in line his SO or JR year.

At least you got that part right. :D

The Maestro
6/9/2011, 01:54 PM
Hate to be some stereotyper here, but is Thompson a drop back passer at all? I don't see OU going all "here is our athletic QB for running play stuff" like NFL teams do. If Thompson is purely an athlete he will get on the field, but not as a QB, ala Antwon Savage.

MojoRisen
6/9/2011, 02:01 PM
THompson is a drop back QB... Hey if these guys aren't afraid to compete and are that good - someone will win out!

Keil - Green Beckham and Neal - pretty sick gets... Hope it turns out this way come Sunday!!

Breadburner
6/9/2011, 02:03 PM
I think we have seen the template for what it takes to win an NC.......

OUInformant
6/9/2011, 02:07 PM
This is what happens when you have a trustworthy, ethical, and stable coaching staff and administration, i.e., you get commitments from the best players. In light of the J. Tressel situation, I have come to like Bob Stoops more than ever as both a HC and a person who does the right thing; I'm still proud of the fact that he booted Bomar off the team for knowingly violating NCAA rules, which proves Coach Stoops' respect for the NCAA and its rules.

Stoops is a pretty rugged dude that wouldn't coddle a QB like T. Pryor. Unlike tOSU, I would say that kids may come in to OU cocky and arrogant, but they leave, after four years, the complete opposite. Working with Coach and guys like Schmitty will fix you right up.

BillyBall
6/9/2011, 02:19 PM
I think we have seen the template for what it takes to win an NC.......

A lisp?

rock on sooner
6/9/2011, 02:19 PM
Seven QB's on the roster..3 Jr's, 1 Soph and 3 Fr so three will be gone (Yes,
I think the 'Stache will go after his Jr year) so a big time recruit at QB for
2012 is needed..Blake and Drew will go after it but if a Gunner (Is that a
great name or what?) comes in and pushes them the team will be better
for it, never mind keeping him away from Bama.

SoonerDan74012
6/9/2011, 02:45 PM
Talked to Gunner earlier and he said it would definitely be OU simply because of Coach Heupel. He loves him. Mark it down...

Spill it Mad Dog! What do you know?????? :pop:

EatLeadCommie
6/9/2011, 02:57 PM
A lisp?

I was thinking a QB transfer from Snow Junior College

Osama Bin Laden
6/9/2011, 03:01 PM

Kiel is more than a big get. He's the real deal, and I think he'd wind up the starter the first day Landry is off campus. If we landed Kiel and DGB, it would not be fair. Very exciting stuff.

NorCal Sooner
6/9/2011, 03:05 PM

For reals?? Or was this an imaginary Gunner Kiel??:D

swardboy
6/9/2011, 03:09 PM
"Gunner" ....too good a name to be true....one would think.

Breadburner
6/9/2011, 03:12 PM
A lisp?

Nope...A QB that can be you with his feet....

NorCal Sooner
6/9/2011, 03:18 PM
Hate to be some stereotyper here, but is Thompson a drop back passer at all? I don't see OU going all "here is our athletic QB for running play stuff" like NFL teams do. If Thompson is purely an athlete he will get on the field, but not as a QB, ala Antwon Savage.

Thompson is a dual-threat quarterback. He may not have the polish as far as his arm of some of the other guys, but he makes plays. He has ok size at 6-2 and will need put on some weight. On top of his QB skills he is a great athlete. I would think he would get some plays in the wildcat every now and then, but he is so athletic that he could be moved to other positions.

The Maestro
6/9/2011, 03:54 PM
So if Gunner commits does that automatically mean we get Matthew as well?

http://picbg.net/u/50794/34700/477428.jpg

Mad Dog Madsen
6/9/2011, 03:55 PM
Spill it Mad Dog! What do you know?????? :pop:

For reals?? Or was this an imaginary Gunner Kiel??:D

Haha it was definitely the real Gunner... He expressed the respect he had for Coach Heupel and while he didn't exactly say it would be OU, (like I mentioned in my earlier post :O) he did say to me, "You won't be disappointed." I'll take that as a good sign.

The Maestro
6/9/2011, 03:59 PM
Haha it was definitely the real Gunner... He expressed the respect he had for Coach Heupel and while he didn't exactly say it would be OU, he did say to me, "You won't be disappointed." I'll take that as a good sign.

Wow...that will be awesome!!

And if you are lying and trying to be internet cool I will hate your guts forever and seeing as how we are strangers with only fake names as identity on here, I realize how much that threat will haunt you!!! :D

Mad Dog Madsen
6/9/2011, 04:07 PM

And if you are lying and trying to be internet cool I will hate your guts forever and seeing as how we are strangers with only fake names as identity on here, I realize how much that threat will haunt you!!! :D

I will have an open invite for yall to neg my @$$ to Bloivia if I'm wrong... But those are his exact words.

Widescreen
6/9/2011, 04:09 PM
he did say to me, "You won't be disappointed." I'll take that as a good sign.

Maybe he thinks you hate him, so when he chooses Bama, you'll be happy.

NorCal Sooner
6/9/2011, 04:15 PM
Holy crap, great Nelson reference:eek: I feel very old and sad because I remember those guys. I think they were around about the same time as Winger.......:eek:
http://blondemetal.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/kip-winger-1.jpg

TheLadiesMike
6/9/2011, 05:01 PM
How do you say his last name? Like keel, Kyle, or kill?

sooner518
6/9/2011, 05:03 PM
Haha it was definitely the real Gunner... He expressed the respect he had for Coach Heupel and while he didn't exactly say it would be OU, (like I mentioned in my earlier post :O) he did say to me, "You won't be disappointed." I'll take that as a good sign.

This makes me happy. Very happy

SoonerNomad
6/9/2011, 05:20 PM
How do you say his last name? Like keel, Kyle, or kill?

It's Keel. His Dad played QB for Notre Dame when I was much younger.

The guy on Bill King's show that said he thinks he will pick Oklahoma is a guy named J.C. Shurbutt (spelling may be off)

BoulderSooner79
6/9/2011, 05:22 PM
I will have an open invite for yall to neg my @$$ to Bloivia if I'm wrong... But those are his exact words.

Those may have been his exact *spoken* words, but the fact he is a HS kid and is still being courted by other teams, the entire quote is:

Spoken: You will not be disappointed.
Unspoken: Unless I change my mind and then maybe you will be.

boomersooner28
6/9/2011, 05:28 PM
To those that follow recruiting closer than I....how much do you think the new athletic dorms have to do with our recent success in recruiting? I'm sure the new dorms will be state of the art and we are probably pushing them. Also, when will they be finished?

ouwasp
6/9/2011, 05:31 PM
Last night Bob said the new dorm is to be in place for the freshman class of 2013, think that's right

NorCal Sooner
6/9/2011, 05:32 PM
To those that follow recruiting closer than I....how much do you think the new athletic dorms have to do with our recent success in recruiting? I'm sure the new dorms will be state of the art and we are probably pushing them. Also, when will they be finished?

Put it this way, "It does not hurt".

goingoneight
6/9/2011, 06:32 PM
A QB named "Gunner," a safety named "Striker..."

Any chance we get a linebacker named "Swagger?"

SoonerinSouthlake
6/9/2011, 06:43 PM

and a defensive end named Smasher

JLEW1818
6/9/2011, 07:02 PM
I'm think Jones is the QB for the next 2 years, followed by Blake Bell for 2 years.

?

picasso
6/9/2011, 07:02 PM
a safety named "Striker..."

http://greatnamelist.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/tedstriker.jpg

sooner59
6/9/2011, 07:16 PM
Technically we already had a guy named Swagger. Jack Swagger. DT and wrestler from Perry, OK. Although when he was at OU, he went by Jake Hagger. Pro wrestling made him Jack Swagger.

I want a linebacker named Lance Uppercut.

Soonerfan88
6/9/2011, 08:15 PM

Good lawd, I actually owned that album. :O

Mazeppa
6/9/2011, 08:22 PM
Technically we already had a guy named Swagger. Jack Swagger. DT and wrestler from Perry, OK. Although when he was at OU, he went by Jake Hagger. Pro wrestling made him Jack Swagger.

The All American, American?

NorCal Sooner
6/9/2011, 08:34 PM
Good lawd, I actually owned that album. :O

I so admire your honesty.:D

SoonerMarkVA
6/9/2011, 10:15 PM

Is it just me, or does the guy on the left look like Bronson Pinchot, and on the right like Brad Pitt--in long, blond wigs?

SoonerofAlabama
6/9/2011, 11:25 PM
Well, I definitely hope that Jones stays for the full four years. I think he has the wits about him to stay in school and earn his degree.

BoulderSooner79
6/9/2011, 11:43 PM
This season will be LJ's 4th year in the program since he did redshirt. I don't know how close he is to getting his degree. If he has a great year and decides to declare, I say more power to him. I don't consider 4 year players as declaring early even if they have eligibility left, just exercising an option.

NorCal Sooner
6/10/2011, 12:14 AM
Is it just me, or does the guy on the left look like Bronson Pinchot, and on the right like Brad Pitt--in long, blond wigs?

I've tried not to look that closely. It brings back an embarrassing time in my life that I just don't like reliving. :D

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/28489951/Warrant.jpg

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/10/2011, 12:37 AM

This is the CORRECT answer. Bravo Maestro!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/10/2011, 12:45 AM
Is it just me, or does the guy on the left look like Bronson Pinchot, and on the right like Brad Pitt--in long, blond wigs?The guy on the left looks almost xactly like his dad, Ricky Nelson.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru4PpuGUmSM

EatLeadCommie
6/10/2011, 07:34 AM
Don't hate on Warrant. Uncle Tom's Cabin is the best hair metal song everr. I Saw Red is up there too in terms of cheese metal ballads. But yeah, the rest of their catalog is mostly crap.

d.stOUgh
6/10/2011, 08:08 AM
At least you got that part right. :D

As a Sooner Fan since the '71 OU/neb game (yes, I was there) and since being diagonised with congestive heart failure in 2001, my memory HAS gone south on me.

However, I do remember r. bomar being OUr ace qb until he got booted, then Paul Thompson got his old job back.

After Paul T. left, I really don't remember Sam Bradfords name being mentioned as the 'possible' starter at any time!

If this kid decides to come to OU...the best qb WILL PLAY, regardless of the pecking order right now.

Please forgive my ignorance...

soonerloyal
6/10/2011, 08:18 AM
The guy on the left looks almost xactly like his dad, Ricky Nelson.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru4PpuGUmSM

Ohhhh yeah, Mark Harmon's nephews!

(I gots a thing for Mark Harmon. *sigh* :O )

OU GENO
6/10/2011, 08:41 AM

With 2 Genos on the D side who cares!

IndySooner
6/10/2011, 08:54 AM
Don't hate on Warrant. Uncle Tom's Cabin is the best hair metal song everr. I Saw Red is up there too in terms of cheese metal ballads. But yeah, the rest of their catalog is mostly crap.

Scary, because I feel the same way about those two songs.

CrimsonCommando
6/10/2011, 08:58 AM

Is it just me or did you just fly out of the closet with some fairy wings on?

Sooner Tri
6/10/2011, 09:35 AM
and a defensive end named Smasher

Is "The Hammer" close enough?

The Maestro
6/10/2011, 10:10 AM
I hear we are in on a kicker named Resolve!

Widescreen
6/10/2011, 12:54 PM
I hear we are in on a kicker named Resolve!

He's an LSU lock. Book it.

badger
6/10/2011, 01:35 PM
He's an LSU lock. Book it.

Sucker is also committed to Lester.

Sooner Tri
6/10/2011, 03:12 PM
Sucker is also committed to Lester.

I hear that Let'r Rip can kick it into the endzone every time!

fossil
6/10/2011, 04:18 PM

:D How about a linebacker named, "Stonebreaker"?

BoomerSooner3
6/10/2011, 09:56 PM
Hearing now he actually won't be deciding on Sunday... Anyone know what is up?

Osama Bin Laden
6/10/2011, 10:49 PM
Yea he announced via facebook he needed more time...not really what I wanted to hear

SoonerinSouthlake
6/10/2011, 11:02 PM
Hearing now he actually won't be deciding on Sunday... Anyone know what is up?

He doesnt want to steal thunder from Mavs/Heat

Curly Bill
6/10/2011, 11:04 PM
He doesnt want to steal thunder from Mavs/Heat

The Mavs already took care of the Thunder.

Ba-dum crash! :D

SoonerinSouthlake
6/10/2011, 11:30 PM
The Mavs already took care of the Thunder.

Ba-dum crash! :D

lobbed you a softball......your welcome ;-)

Partial Qualifier
6/11/2011, 09:13 AM
Is it just me or did you just fly out of the closet with some fairy wings on?

This is gold here, folks :D

Seamus
6/11/2011, 09:53 AM
This is gold here, folks :D

Actually, spectrometer tests just came in from the lab. It's really pyrite. :cool:

o0Dan0o
6/11/2011, 10:10 AM
As a Sooner Fan since the '71 OU/neb game (yes, I was there) and since being diagonised with congestive heart failure in 2001, my memory HAS gone south on me.

However, I do remember r. bomar being OUr ace qb until he got booted, then Paul Thompson got his old job back.

After Paul T. left, I really don't remember Sam Bradfords name being mentioned as the 'possible' starter at any time!

If this kid decides to come to OU...the best qb WILL PLAY, regardless of the pecking order right now.

Please forgive my ignorance...

I was at the spring game in 07, sitting next to a season ticket holder (student at the time). It was #15 vs #14 competing for most of the day, and I came away knowing Sam was the best QB on the field.
Dan

CrimsonRez
6/11/2011, 04:47 PM
know this kid....4 years old in 14 years gonna be a stud hopefully he keeps his commitment to OU up

bixby28
6/11/2011, 06:29 PM
know this kid....4 years old in 14 years gonna be a stud hopefully he keeps his commitment to OU up

????:confused:

Soonermagik
6/12/2011, 09:04 PM

Drugs.. do you use them? ;)

NorCal Sooner
6/12/2011, 11:26 PM

Stay in school.

soonerloyal
6/12/2011, 11:51 PM

I'm thinkin' the 4-yr-old in question is a CR kid. Could be wrong. Or could need a message board telling me I took the bait... :O

rekamrettuB
6/13/2011, 10:18 AM
I'm thinkin' the 4-yr-old in question is a CR kid. Could be wrong. Or could need a message board telling me I took the bait... :O

I know a kid that will be 1 month old tomorrow. Huge hands...going to be a pocket passer with some decent wheels. He'll be signing his LOI as soon as he is able to write.