PDA

View Full Version : headed to the beach...

87sooner
6/8/2011, 05:21 PM
finished my spring planting and i have no wheat to harvest this year so we're leaving friday for destin....
any of you in arkansas/mississippi/louisiana know of flooded roads?
not sure which route we'll take....don't want to run into detours...

pphilfran
6/8/2011, 05:32 PM
Have fun...did you plow the wheat under?

87sooner
6/8/2011, 05:41 PM
no....i didn't plant any...
it was a good year to not plant wheat...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/8/2011, 05:42 PM
finished my spring planting and i have no wheat to harvest this year so we're leaving friday for destin....
any of you in arkansas/mississippi/louisiana know of flooded roads?
not sure which route we'll take....don't want to run into detours...Why Destin, of all beaches?

87sooner
6/8/2011, 05:43 PM
Why Destin, of all beaches?

beautiful beach....
i used to live there when i was in the air force...
and my brother in law and mother in law live there.....and several friends

Turd_Ferguson
6/8/2011, 05:48 PM
beautiful beach....
i used to live there when i was in the air force...
and my brother in law and mother in law live there.....and several friendsAgree. First time my redneck *** ever seen't the ocean was at Destin. Beautiful beech's....and pretty water and sand to boot.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/8/2011, 05:54 PM
Watch out for your cornhole, bud.

the-rover
6/8/2011, 08:39 PM
Just got back from Pensacola last week, no problem with any roads. The Mississippi River at Memphis was spooky high on the way there, night on the way back. You shouldn't have any trouble with roads.

Beach was awesome, Memorial Day weekend, so it was pretty packed...got absolutely french fried sun burned. Peeled so bad you'd thought i had leprosy.

booomer
6/8/2011, 08:43 PM
Say "hey" to Weiner. He likes to go to the beach as well, for some reason.

http://firstin.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/weiner.jpg

87sooner
6/8/2011, 09:55 PM
Just got back from Pensacola last week, no problem with any roads. The Mississippi River at Memphis was spooky high on the way there, night on the way back. You shouldn't have any trouble with roads.

Beach was awesome, Memorial Day weekend, so it was pretty packed...got absolutely french fried sun burned. Peeled so bad you'd thought i had leprosy.

thanks for the info...
we'll prolly take the memphis route on the return...
going dallas/shreveport and then down to I-10...

i usually like to take the scenic route from little rock to pine bluff and then down to vicksburg but i was afraid i might run into flooding down there..
i checked the arkansas department of highways website and was surprised it said no roads were closed....
i saw some interviews online of people in southWEST arkansas saying they were flooded....
so i didn't know what to believe...

looking forward to some great seafood and it looks like the weather is pretty nice down there...

soonercruiser
6/8/2011, 10:08 PM

WHY DESTIN?????
"The Emerald Strand"!!!!!
The most beautiful beaches on the Gulf Coast.....and outside of the beauty of the Pacific Coast....the next most beautiful, and beachable!

Captain Davey's Restaurant!
Stuff Scamp.......mmmmmmmm
Stationed near there twice in my military career.

the-rover
6/8/2011, 10:21 PM
thanks for the info...
we'll prolly take the memphis route on the return...
going dallas/shreveport and then down to I-10...

i usually like to take the scenic route from little rock to pine bluff and then down to vicksburg but i was afraid i might run into flooding down there..
i checked the arkansas department of highways website and was surprised it said no roads were closed....
i saw some interviews online of people in southWEST arkansas saying they were flooded....
so i didn't know what to believe...

looking forward to some great seafood and it looks like the weather is pretty nice down there...

We came back with the Mobile, Jackson, Shreveport, Texarkana route, but it was dark by the time we left Hattiesburg. Ate at Lambert's in Foley, AL on the way back, so that slowed us getting away.

We had spent the week before at Disney, so we were pretty spent, but drove all the way home that night/morning.

Sooner_Tuf
6/9/2011, 10:45 AM
Take I-40 to Meridian. South on Meridian to Will Rogers. Neither of those roads will be flooded.

87sooner
6/9/2011, 11:15 AM
Take I-40 to Meridian. South on Meridian to Will Rogers. Neither of those roads will be flooded.

would love to...
but i couldn't book ANYTHING until the last seed was in the ground...
and you never know with oklahoma weather when that would be accomplished....so this one had to be a road trip...

i have the whole summer off this year....so next month we'll fly to D.C. to visit more friends/relatives...
maybe take a train up to nyc...

Taxman71
7/16/2011, 09:33 AM
Any recommendation as to where to stay in Destin for a family of 4 (2 grade schoolers)? Mostly, want to hang on the beach.

soonervegas
7/16/2011, 09:57 AM
I just got back Thursday after 10 days there....I don't see why anyone would bag Destin. I have been to Miami and Maui as well and still prefer Destin beaches.

Taxman there is no wrong answer as long as you have direct beach access. I would look for smaller condos, etc. so you are not jammed packed on the beach. Some of those high rise areas can get 3-4 deep.

For restaurants I am a Harbor Docks guy....

MsProudSooner2
7/16/2011, 11:58 AM
Did you plant something else in place of the wheat?

yankee
7/16/2011, 12:04 PM
Been in Destin all of this past week and will be here all of next week. Best damn beaches in the lower 48, plus incredible seafood. Can't beat this place, love it here.

yankee
7/16/2011, 12:09 PM
Any recommendation as to where to stay in Destin for a family of 4 (2 grade schoolers)? Mostly, want to hang on the beach.

Condo is the first and obvious route, but if you can afford it, get a little beach cottage that's a 5-10 minute walk from the beach. that's what my family does, and I'm pretty sure the rates are comparable to beach side condos. And there's a large selection. There are numerous websites and companies, my family usually goes through Southern Resorts or Newman-Dailey. Both companies have a ton of condos and houses for rent that you can browse online.

Breadburner
7/16/2011, 12:15 PM
Destin=Bomb...!!!!

Partial Qualifier
7/16/2011, 03:28 PM
The road to Mongo's Butthole is flooded with would-be a$s pirates, just so you know.
I'd avoid that stretch if at all possible.

87sooner
7/16/2011, 06:42 PM

go to vrbo.com and check out the condos...
when i go ....i want to be right on the beach...and for a family of 4.....the best prices are the 1 bedroom condos with a couple of bunks....or a 2 bedroom....depends what you want to spend...

i would check out the vacation rentals on craigslist also...
you can usually get a pretty good discount for a last minute booking...
the place we stayed waived the taxes and cleaning fees....it was $1500 for a week and the taxes/fees would have been another $300...

we actually stayed in ft. walton this time since it was closer to my mother in law and brother in law....
we stayed at the island princess....very nice place...
my brother in law has a 2 bedroom condo at the palms....nice place but the pool is very small...

87sooner
7/16/2011, 06:44 PM
I just got back Thursday after 10 days there....I don't see why anyone would bag Destin. I have been to Miami and Maui as well and still prefer Destin beaches.

Taxman there is no wrong answer as long as you have direct beach access. I would look for smaller condos, etc. so you are not jammed packed on the beach. Some of those high rise areas can get 3-4 deep.

For restaurants I am a Harbor Docks guy....

the restaurants are nothing like they were 20 years ago when i lived there..
this trip my family really enjoyed old bay steamer on okaloosa island.....and dewey destin's in destin...

87sooner
7/16/2011, 06:45 PM
Did you plant something else in place of the wheat?

i planted grain sorghum this spring....it's suffering bigtime..
without rain soon....it will be a total loss...

Soonerchaz
7/16/2011, 08:29 PM

I'd suggest that you go just a bit farther east and check out the beaches along 30A. We've stayed at Seagrove Beach for he past several summers...and we're checking out Grayton Beach this year. Lots of trails and bike paths and quite kid friendly.

As someone said...just check out vrbo.com for rentals.

olevetonahill
7/16/2011, 08:36 PM
go to vrbo.com and check out the condos...
when i go ....i want to be right on the beach...and for a family of 4.....the best prices are the 1 bedroom condos with a couple of bunks....or a 2 bedroom....depends what you want to spend...

i would check out the vacation rentals on craigslist also...
you can usually get a pretty good discount for a last minute booking...
the place we stayed waived the taxes and cleaning fees....it was $1500 for a week and the taxes/fees would have been another $300...

we actually stayed in ft. walton this time since it was closer to my mother in law and brother in law....
we stayed at the island princess....very nice place...
my brother in law has a 2 bedroom condo at the palms....nice place but the pool is very small...

I aint paying 1500 bucks a week to stay any dayum where. If ya got the ocean what ya need a Pool fer?

87sooner
7/16/2011, 08:41 PM
I aint paying 1500 bucks a week to stay any dayum where. If ya got the ocean what ya need a Pool fer?

my wife doesn't like the ocean when the waves get rough...
and when we were there....the seaweed got a bit thick...so a nice clean pool is appealing to the wife and kids...
they also like to swim in the pool late at night....not a good idea to swim in the ocean after dark...
i prefer the nice cool ocean breeze as i snooze under an umbrella...i'm not really a water person...

olevetonahill
7/16/2011, 08:48 PM
Spray em down with a water hose then.:D

yankee
7/16/2011, 09:14 PM
dewey destin's in destin...

Best of the best. Bacon wrapped shrimp stuffed with crab is the stuff of legends. :)

87sooner
7/16/2011, 09:21 PM
Best of the best. Bacon wrapped shrimp stuffed with crab is the stuff of legends. :)

did you go to the old one or the new one?
the old shack where you get your ice out of the ice chest and eat out on the dock was priceless.....

GKeeper316
7/16/2011, 09:29 PM

because that's where the lovely and talented former fox 25 reporter lisa monahan was this weekend...

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee309/GKeeper316/lisainabikini1.jpg

87sooner
7/16/2011, 10:34 PM
Agree. First time my redneck *** ever seen't the ocean was at Destin. Beautiful beech's....and pretty water and sand to boot.

they don't call it the redneck riviera for nothin;)

Mongo
7/16/2011, 10:52 PM
because that's where the lovely and talented former fox 25 reporter lisa monahan was this weekend...

<yoda voice> throw it in I would <yoda voice>

yankee
7/17/2011, 01:19 AM
did you go to the old one or the new one?
the old shack where you get your ice out of the ice chest and eat out on the dock was priceless.....

Been to both, though the new one this past week. I like the dock setting on the inlet much better, but the parentals like eating at an actual restaurant and they pay the bill, so I can't complain. Almost forgot, the gumbo is the best I've had outside the state of Louisiana. We'll be going back there this week for sure. :)

Taxman71
7/18/2011, 08:07 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Ironically, some friends who have small children just returned from Waterscape in Ft. Walton and said good things about it. I still like the idea of private condo on the beach east of Destin though.

87sooner
7/18/2011, 08:23 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Ironically, some friends who have small children just returned from Waterscape in Ft. Walton and said good things about it. I still like the idea of private condo on the beach east of Destin though.

i think waterscape is the one that's across the highway from the beach....but it has a big pool and a lazy river...

most of the condos are privately owned....they're usually managed by management companies...
some owners like my brother in law manage their own...
like someone else said...i like the smaller units....less crowded on the beach..
the beach is basically the same from pensacola all the way to panama city...
destin is trendier/pricier/more things to do....and more crowded...
you really can't go wrong with any location...
i'm kinda partial to okaloosa island...that's where i lived when i was stationed at eglin...

one thing about the condos....since they're privately owned...every one is different within a unit...one may have been remodeled a year ago....the next may not have been remodeled for 15 years....

Romulus
7/18/2011, 08:44 AM

Taxman71
7/18/2011, 09:13 AM
i think waterscape is the one that's across the highway from the beach....but it has a big pool and a lazy river...

most of the condos are privately owned....they're usually managed by management companies...
some owners like my brother in law manage their own...
like someone else said...i like the smaller units....less crowded on the beach..
the beach is basically the same from pensacola all the way to panama city...
destin is trendier/pricier/more things to do....and more crowded...
you really can't go wrong with any location...
i'm kinda partial to okaloosa island...that's where i lived when i was stationed at eglin...

one thing about the condos....since they're privately owned...every one is different within a unit...one may have been remodeled a year ago....the next may not have been remodeled for 15 years....

Thanks for the info. Waterscape at Ft. Walton is only a few years old and appears to be geared at younger kids. I see us gradually staying further and further east as the kids grow.

87sooner
7/18/2011, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the info. Waterscape at Ft. Walton is only a few years old and appears to be geared at younger kids. I see us gradually staying further and further east as the kids grow.

i think you'll like the location....
it's only 3 or 4 minutes to destin...
and with small kids...you can do things in the bay where the water is calmer...they have all sorts of watercraft rentals...
my kids are 11 and 13....they like boogie boarding on the big waves.....
little kids usually like the pool or just playing in the sand...

go once....get a feel for the area...you'll love it....and you'll go back...

87sooner
7/18/2011, 10:04 AM
i just googled waterscape...
that was our 2nd choice...
it is on the gulf side....it's a big place with a massive pool...
we picked the island princess because we couldn't get a gulf front room at waterscape....and i think it was much higher priced...
i think it was over $2k/wk for a 2 bedroom

Taxman71
7/18/2011, 12:21 PM
In mid-August, the prices appear to be about the same between Waterscape and Island Princess. I know the Waterscape prices fluctuate alot depending on the time of year.

87sooner
7/18/2011, 12:47 PM
yeah...the prices drop alot in august...

here's the link to the one where we stayed...
it's $1550 in june/july...
but drops to $1000 after aug 7...

http://www.vrbo.com/257459

GDC
7/18/2011, 05:56 PM
Just visited the Jersey shore and Coney Island, nasty. The Thames River and Long Island Sound in New London, Connecticut however, very nice.

http://cdn.wn.com/pd/7b/68/607dfb7c483eebefcf364ca8ad04_grande.jpg