PDA

View Full Version : Pay your student loans, citizen.

The
6/8/2011, 11:11 AM
Education officials break down Stockton man's door (http://www.news10.net/news/article/141072/2/Dept-of-Education-breaks-down-Stockton-mans-door)

STOCKTON, CA - Kenneth Wright does not have a criminal record and he had no reason to believe a S.W.A.T team would be breaking down his door at 6 a.m. on Tuesday.
"I look out of my window and I see 15 police officers," Wright said.

Wright came downstairs in his boxer shorts as the officers team barged through his front door. Wright said an officer grabbed him by the neck and led him outside on his front lawn.

"He had his knee on my back and I had no idea why they were there," Wright said.
According to Wright, officers also woke his three young children ages 3, 7, and 11, and put them in a Stockton police patrol car with him. Officers then searched his house.
As it turned out, the person law enforcement was looking for was not there - Wright's estranged wife.

"They put me in handcuffs in that hot patrol car for six hours, traumatizing my kids," Wright said.

Wright said he later went to the mayor and Stockton Police Department, but the city of Stockton had nothing to do with Wright's search warrant.

The U.S. Department of Education issued the search and called in S.W.A.T for his wife's defaulted student loans.

"They busted down my door for this," Wright said. "It wasn't even me."

According to the Department of Education's Office of the Inspector General, the case can't be discussed publicly until it is closed, but a representative confirmed the department did issue the search warrant at Wright's home.

Wednesday morning, inspector general spokeswoman Gina Burress provided the following statement:
"The Office of Inspector General does not engage in the collection of student loans. Our mission is to conduct criminal investigations related to the programs and operations of the U.S. Department of Education, which include the student financial aid programs. We can confirm that we executed a search warrant at the residence, however our policy is not to discuss details of our on-going work."

The Office of the Inspector General has a law enforcement branch of federal agents that carry out search warrants and investigations.

The Stockton Police Department said it was asked by federal agents to provide one officer and one patrol car just for a police presence when carrying out the search warrant.

Police officers did not participate in breaking Wright's door, handcuffing him, or searching his home.

"All I want is an apology for me and my kids and for them to get me a new door," Wright said.

NormanPride
6/8/2011, 11:14 AM
OCsMKypvmB0

dynersooner
6/8/2011, 11:16 AM
why can they execite a search warrant for not paying back loans, again???

Teh, i dont believe your story tells all teh story...

pphilfran
6/8/2011, 11:18 AM

There has to be a hell of a lot more to the story....

NormanPride
6/8/2011, 11:20 AM
She was also behind on parking tickets.

Position Limit
6/8/2011, 11:20 AM
big education. the current bubble. not an easy one to long or short and hard to find a deep market. any suggestions?

The
6/8/2011, 11:24 AM
big education. the current bubble. not an easy one to long or short and hard to find a deep market. any suggestions?

I'd Limit my Position.

NormanPride
6/8/2011, 11:24 AM
http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo175/AtticusSP/1233486849774.gif

pphilfran
6/8/2011, 11:25 AM
I'd Limit my Position.

I doubt if you have any limit on any position...

Midtowner
6/8/2011, 11:30 AM

Sounds like the estranged wife was involved in student loan fraud or identity theft or something along those lines. Serving a no-knock warrant with SWAT is a little iffy in this situation though.

The
6/8/2011, 11:33 AM
Serving a no-knock warrant with SWAT is a little iffy in this situation though.

Especially since they don't seem black.

Penguin
6/8/2011, 11:38 AM
Sounds like some sort of fraud investigation. I took a few college classes in Houston and I met a dude that said he went to a federal prison camp for 6 months for lying on a financial aid application. I axed what exactly he lied about, but he wouldn't give me any details.

OhU1
6/8/2011, 12:17 PM
Midtown and Penguin hit it. This is a criminal fraud investigation not a civil debt collection action.

At the state level Oklahoma has an Office of Inspector General's office which investigates "welfare fraud" in areas related to food stamps, TANF, and I'm sure many other areas. Many times fraud is only the tip of the iceberg and much more serious matters such as money laundering and even potential terrorism are uncovered through these kinds of investigations.

Another thing, truth makes for a boring news story. The media is rarely competent or interested in presenting what actually occurred. A gullible public will be enraged at this dude's story and buy it at face value.

badger
6/8/2011, 01:04 PM

It's a new era --- Junior can't get a summer job to work his way through school anymore, professors assign new editions specific to their school with no resale value but a very high sale value, and the current job market means that loans will be incredibly difficult to pay back.

I like that the government is now forcing for-profit schools to increase their student payback rate before allowing anymore financial aid. This will force them to either lower their costs, or raise their job placement rate, or both. Some of those programs looked like a big money raking scam. DeVry University: You're gonna work for video games!

Seriously?!

OUMallen
6/8/2011, 01:17 PM
Sounds like his wife has been doing some big no-nos. The guy is owed an apology, but I doubt that the story is nearly as bad as it was written to sound.

Position Limit
6/8/2011, 01:20 PM
It's a new era --- Junior can't get a summer job to work his way through school anymore, professors assign new editions specific to their school with no resale value but a very high sale value, and the current job market means that loans will be incredibly difficult to pay back.

I like that the government is now forcing for-profit schools to increase their student payback rate before allowing anymore financial aid. This will force them to either lower their costs, or raise their job placement rate, or both. Some of those programs looked like a big money raking scam. DeVry University: You're gonna work for video games!

Seriously?!

yes i know the game. i just want to play it. and with the availability student loans we have ourselves a nice bubble brewin. i just need a deep market..

Midtowner
6/8/2011, 01:28 PM
Especially since they don't seem black.

Or Messican... like I said... I don't get it.

Midtowner
6/8/2011, 01:33 PM
Student loans are now 7% of GDP. That's 7% of our economy tied up in non-bankruptable debt owed to banks.

Want to fix the system? 2 things:

1) Eliminate the bankruptcy protection. Loans would then stop being issued (overnight) to people who had no prayer of repaying them. Let the banks take on some risk.

2) Put a cap on the amount of available student loans from any source. This would effectively cap tuition at institutions targeting something other than trust fund babies.

Penguin
6/8/2011, 01:35 PM
professors assign new editions specific to their school with no resale value but a very high sale value

That is 100% correct. I'm in the middle of getting a 2nd degree and that is this generation's textbook ripoff. When I was in college in the mid 90's, all we worried about is a class using a new edition the next semester so we couldn't sell it back. Now, each textbook is a specific school edition and/or the textbook is loose-leaf, neither of which can be sold. You know the professor, the school, or both are getting kickbacks. It drives me insane! :mad:

badger
6/8/2011, 01:42 PM
Penguin --- I never personally had to deal with school-specific new editions, but definitely new editions. No used available of course, and pricey as hell. Some students were so bad off financially that they would "buy" the book for two days, then return it (I think the bookstore allows two days for a full refund before it gets heaped in the "used buyback" category). Some students wouldn't even buy the books assigned to the course, hoping that they'd never need them. In some cases, they never did.

I envied the students at OU that were on textbook scholarships. They'd have like $500 to spend on official OU notebooks, OU pencils and pens, OU binders, all sorts of OU crap on top of every required textbook.

SoonerHoops
6/8/2011, 02:15 PM
The press has taken down The's article and replaced it with a more accurate representation of what happened

The
6/8/2011, 02:15 PM
The press has taken down The's article and replaced it with a more accurate representation of what happened

No they haven't. It's still there.

dynersooner
6/8/2011, 02:16 PM

link, or you are worse than OUr basketball team will be next year!!!

SoonerHoops
6/8/2011, 02:17 PM
No they haven't. It's still there.

I hope you get banned for posting inaccurate and premature news stories.

The
6/8/2011, 02:17 PM
I hope you get banned for posting inaccurate and premature news stories.

I still won't sleep with you.

SoonerHoops
6/8/2011, 02:18 PM
link, or you are worse than OUr basketball team will be next year!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/08/department-education-raid-default-student-loans_n_873272.html

WASHINGTON -- The Department of Education is disputing a local news report that it sent a S.W.A.T. team to knock down the door and search the house of an individual because he defaulted on student loans.

Stockton, Calif. resident Kenneth Wright told the local ABC affiliate that on Tuesday, approximately 15 officers stormed into his home at 6 a.m., placed him in handcuffs and kept him in a squad car for nearly six hours while his three young children remained inside the house.

Wright said one of the individuals grabbed him by the neck and led him outside to his front lawn.

"He had his knee on my back and I had no idea why they were there," Wright said.

The initial report said the U.S. Department of Education "issued the search and called in the S.W.A.T for his wife's defaulted student loans," although that story has since been taken down and replaced with an updated version that did not contain the claim about the raid being connected to student loans.

Department of Education Press Secretary Justin Hamilton confirmed to The Huffington Post that the agency's Office of the Inspector General (OIG) did indeed order the action, although he said it was not about an issue over student loans in default.

"While it was reported in local media that the search was related to a defaulted student loan, that is incorrect," Hamilton said. "This is related to a criminal investigation. The Inspector General’s Office does not execute search warrants for late loan payments."

"Because this is an ongoing criminal investigation, we can’t comment on the specifics of the case. We can say that the OIG’s office conducts about 30-35 search warrants a year on issues such as bribery, fraud, and embezzlement of federal student aid funds."

Wright said all he wants is an "apology for me and my kids and for them to get me a new door."

SoonerHoops
6/8/2011, 02:25 PM

That's fine, I still have dyner and C&CDean.

OUMallen
6/8/2011, 04:12 PM
Sounds like his wife has been doing some big no-nos. The guy is owed an apology, but I doubt that the story is nearly as bad as it was written to sound.

I'm going to have to give it up to myself. :texan:

pphilfran
6/8/2011, 04:34 PM
Student loans are now 7% of GDP. That's 7% of our economy tied up in non-bankruptable debt owed to banks.

Want to fix the system? 2 things:

1) Eliminate the bankruptcy protection. Loans would then stop being issued (overnight) to people who had no prayer of repaying them. Let the banks take on some risk.

2) Put a cap on the amount of available student loans from any source. This would effectively cap tuition at institutions targeting something other than trust fund babies.

7%?

Mafia crime is 7% of Italy's GDP...

Coincidence?

Penguin
6/8/2011, 04:39 PM

What are you trying to hide, The?

WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO HIDE??????

The
6/8/2011, 04:43 PM
What are you trying to hide, The?

WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO HIDE??????

My *******.
MY *******!!!!!!!

OhU1
6/8/2011, 07:24 PM

Most of these "outrage" stories (many of which get linked to this board) are on the level of an urban legend. Something that people want to be true but are nothing but bull****e.

As [hairGel] would say, ITS GARBAGE!! [hairGel]

SoonerBorn68
6/8/2011, 08:20 PM
One of these days there's going to be a no knock warrant on the wrong person & there will be several dead agents.

OUMallen
6/9/2011, 09:18 AM
One of these days there's going to be a no knock warrant on the wrong person & there will be several dead agents.

And a dead innocent dude.