PDA

View Full Version : Even though I....

oudavid1
6/8/2011, 11:09 AM
grew up in "the city", i have to say....

I drove a John Deere tractor the other day for 4 hours (brush-hogging) in a field, it was awesome. I almost found it therapeutic. Now I see why people really love farming.

Got a tan and got paid for it too.

Just like this one, dozer in front, brush hog on the back, had no compartment, and was a little older.

http://media.merchantcircle.com/29990765/John%20Deere%20Auger%2011_full.jpeg

The Profit
6/8/2011, 11:10 AM
grew up in "the city", i have to say....

I drove a John Deere tractor the other day for 4 hours (brush-hogging) in a field, it was awesome. I almost found it therapeutic. Now I see why people really love farming.

Got a tan and got paid for it too.

Just like this one, dozer in front, brush hog on the back, had no compartment, and was a little older.

http://media.merchantcircle.com/29990765/John%20Deere%20Auger%2011_full.jpeg

Uh, David....That is an auger on there and not a brush hog. If you mowed with that thing, you might have done some irreversible damage.

Mississippi Sooner
6/8/2011, 11:11 AM
Uh, David....That is an auger on there and not a brush hog. If you mowed with that thing, you might have done some irreversible damage.

Yeah, when he's with a girl he might want to learn the difference between drilling a hole and clearing some brush. :D

sooner_born_1960
6/8/2011, 11:13 AM
Maybe he meant this one...
http://www.lawnmowersowensboro.com/images/company_1500026573_company_0DfIB_John-Deere-4720-tractor.jpg

dynersooner
6/8/2011, 11:14 AM
HEY LADY! I DROVE A TRACTOR! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! I DROVE A TRACTOR!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! IT WAS GREEN! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

GDC
6/8/2011, 01:19 PM
Glad you enjoyed it.

Now it's time to buck some hay in 100 degree heat, maybe rope, flank and brand a few 300 pound "calves", or be on the end of an idiot stick all day and most of the night irrigating.

Please report back on how much you still enjoy farming.

OU Engineer
6/8/2011, 01:20 PM
in case you were wondering, I make all the green, black and yellow paint for john deere.

youre welcome farmers

Viking Kitten
6/8/2011, 01:39 PM
Has one told Sic Em he's got some serious competition in the "Is this guy for real? department?

NormanPride
6/8/2011, 01:58 PM
Oh, he knows. David isn't near that level, though, but something tells me it's just because he hasn't had enough time.

3rdgensooner
6/8/2011, 02:00 PM
You'll get gonorrhea.

My Opinion Matters
6/8/2011, 02:16 PM
Hey guys! Just got me a new chainsaw! What do you think?

http://i54.tinypic.com/2qx6wde.jpg

The
6/8/2011, 02:17 PM
You'll get gonorrhea.
http://i.imgur.com/Vrfjb.jpg

oudavid1
6/8/2011, 02:28 PM
Yeah, when he's with a girl he might want to learn the difference between drilling a hole and clearing some brush. :D

Ok this was funny. But I meant that's the tractor! Obviously I didn't use a drill to brush hog. Some people just want me to be stupid.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Now it's time to buck some hay in 100 degree heat, maybe rope, flank and brand a few 300 pound "calves", or be on the end of an idiot stick all day and most of the night irrigating.

Please report back on how much you still enjoy farming.

I didn't say it was easy, I'm saying I understand somewhat why people enjoy being out there. I was born with a silver sppon, but I try to make my own way.

Oh, he knows. David isn't near that level, though, but something tells me it's just because he hasn't had enough time.

I'm just a horrible person really.

NormanPride
6/8/2011, 02:34 PM
SicEm is not a horrible person, and neither are you. You're both just... interesting. Interesting things happen to SicEm, he reacts in interesting ways, and causes more interesting things to happen.

Call me when you drive for four hours in the wrong direction without realizing it, and I'll say you're close to his level. :D

oudavid1
6/8/2011, 02:35 PM
SicEm is not a horrible person, and neither are you. You're both just... interesting. Interesting things happen to SicEm, he reacts in interesting ways, and causes more interesting things to happen.

Call me when you drive for four hours in the wrong direction without realizing it, and I'll say you're close to his level. :D

I like being interesting.

NormanPride
6/8/2011, 02:37 PM
May you live in interesting times, david.

royalfan5
6/8/2011, 02:38 PM
Mowing for 4 hours has as much relation to farming, as my playing 8-man football in Rural Nebraska has to the NFL.

jk the sooner fan
6/8/2011, 02:51 PM
hey david - how are your map reading skills?

if you wanted to head......say.......out west......how confident are you you'd not be going east?

Chuck Bao
6/8/2011, 03:12 PM
I can't deny that I am really enjoying this thread. I don't follow twitter or any of that stuff but I would think about it if I got good stuff like this.

In all seriousness, David, you have no idea about driving a tractor. Getting a tan is not a side perk. I now have skin problems on my arms given that I wore t-shirts when I was a kid. Luckily it is just my arms.

In the summer, all of our tractors had parasols, but that didn't really help in the early morning or late evening. I am talking about 30-40 years ago and that was before we started getting cab tractors with air-con, power steering and cushion seat. I remember plowing all night in late fall and the only heat I had was a canvas over both sides of the engine funneling the heat back to me.

Getting a tan on a tractor is probably still a very good idea and productive to boot. I suggest that you wear a speedo next time to make sure you don't have those annoying tan lines.

achiro
6/8/2011, 04:14 PM

I watched a little bit of Dumb and Dumber the other day, I had forgotten that they did that in the movie, then that reminded me of Sicem's story. :D

JohnnyMack
6/8/2011, 04:23 PM
hey david - how are your map reading skills?

if you wanted to head......say.......out west......how confident are you you'd not be going east?

David,

Vespas. Let's talk.

pphilfran
6/8/2011, 04:38 PM
Exactly the same...only different...

royalfan5
6/8/2011, 04:53 PM
Exactly the same...only different...

It's like the Star Trek episode with the half white and half black aliens, but they hate each other because they are different colors on different sides, and they damn near have to use the auto destruct sequence. I hope Sic'em gets healthy and starts bringing the thunder again, and we can find out if this board has an autodestruct sequence.

pphilfran
6/8/2011, 05:01 PM
It's like the Star Trek episode with the half white and half black aliens, but they hate each other because they are different colors on different sides, and they damn near have to use the auto destruct sequence. I hope Sic'em gets healthy and starts bringing the thunder again, and we can find out if this board has an autodestruct sequence.

I remember that episode...

stevo
6/8/2011, 05:01 PM
where did scooter go??

pphilfran
6/8/2011, 05:02 PM
He is out mowing with his auger...

C&CDean
6/8/2011, 09:46 PM
4 hours on a John Deere? That would be pre-breakfast.

Chuck has it nailed. I do have to say I love it though. This time of year I average ~14 hours per day - albeit in air con, CD, air ride seat, etc.

Farming is not for the faint. Neither is getting old...

A Sooner in Texas
6/8/2011, 10:17 PM

I would very nearly pay to read just such a thread. But not really.:P
Would be fun, though!!!!!

oudavid1
6/8/2011, 10:38 PM
Scooter has to live ya know. I check in at night

JohnnyMack
6/8/2011, 10:47 PM
Neither is getting old...

Can we put you on an ice floe now?

Sooner_Tuf
6/9/2011, 05:18 AM
David if you liked mowing with a toy tractor have I got a deal for you. I can hook you up with a 600hp monster pulling a fifty foot sweep. You can drive it all summer as many hours as you want.

I won't charge you much and all you have to buy is the fuel. We make about the best tea in the state and I'll even have a pretty girl bring you some in the field so you don't even have to stop!

If you get really good I'll let you test drive a new air drill for about a week next fall. Now don't run all over blabbing about this offer as I only make to people I think are really special.

oudavid1
6/9/2011, 11:49 AM
David if you liked mowing with a toy tractor have I got a deal for you. I can hook you up with a 600hp monster pulling a fifty foot sweep. You can drive it all summer as many hours as you want.

I won't charge you much and all you have to buy is the fuel. We make about the best tea in the state and I'll even have a pretty girl bring you some in the field so you don't even have to stop!

If you get really good I'll let you test drive a new air drill for about a week next fall. Now don't run all over blabbing about this offer as I only make to people I think are really special.

lol

SicEmBaylor
6/13/2011, 01:35 AM

It has to be overcast!

SicEmBaylor
6/13/2011, 01:46 AM
Has one told Sic Em he's got some serious competition in the "Is this guy for real? department?

I've still got this guy beat by a mile. I've never mowed a blade of grass in my life although I used to go outside after my dad would mow and play around with the weed eater. I wouldn't use it in any productive fashion though and when it was suggested that I do just that, I lost interest in the damned thing and would go inside.