PDA

View Full Version : Can the NCAA do anything to Lane Kiffin

achiro
6/8/2011, 10:07 AM
I know this has probably been talked about a lot already but I don't want to search it out.
Can they suspend him, fine him, anything? For the stuff he did while at Tenn?

Seems like a bad deal if a coach can just bail to a new job before anything happens to him.

BoomerJack
6/8/2011, 10:14 AM
I don't think they can which has always been a big problem with me. Over the years, head coaches and assistants who are supposed to be responsible and/or accountable for various NCAA infractions are allowed to stay in the business while the programs seemingly suffer the most consequences.

rekamrettuB
6/8/2011, 10:16 AM
They need to invoke what they do in BBall. Infractions follow the coach as well as the school where they took place.

SoonerofAlabama
6/8/2011, 10:18 AM
I think the most they can do is fine him, but I am not sure.

BoulderSooner79
6/8/2011, 10:23 AM
The NCAA tagged a USC assistant with a "must justify to hire" tag or something like that for 1 year. He is the one they claim knew of Bush's agent dealings and did not report it. USC did not renew his contract and I guess no other school wants to deal with the hassle, so he is unemployed right now. He is currently suing the NCAA over this ruling.

Also, didn't K. Sampson's penalties follow him when he went from OU -> Indiana?

badger
6/8/2011, 10:31 AM
Kiffie landed in a spot getting punished by the NCAA. It would be funny as hell if USC had to suffer more just because of him :D

Mad Dog Madsen
6/8/2011, 10:37 AM
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/50261_248149804131_76865_n.jpg

achiro
6/8/2011, 10:56 AM
Understatement---->http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/50261_248149804131_76865_n.jpg

Sooner Cal
6/8/2011, 11:27 AM
Penalties followed Sampson to Indiana.

PalmBeachSooner
6/8/2011, 01:52 PM
There has been talk that he could be banned from contacting recruits for a certain period (same as Samson) since his infraction involves contacting recruits when it was impermissable.

Flagstaffsooner
6/8/2011, 01:58 PM
Lets face it, Kiffin was just hired as a fall guy. He will be canned as soon as suc gets out of jail.

Frozen Sooner
6/8/2011, 08:27 PM
1. Yes, a coach can be individually penalized for infractions committed at another school. As others have pointed out, Kelvin Sampson was hit with personal recruiting limitations.

2. The NCAA can also tag a coach with a "show cause" requirement, which forces any school hiring them to show cause for hiring the guy when he's under an NCAA cloud. If they can't, the school gets tagged with scholarship limitations/whatever.

EatLeadCommie
6/9/2011, 03:49 PM
Dave Bliss fits #2 "show cause"

badger
6/9/2011, 04:09 PM
Lets face it, Kiffin was just hired as a fall guy. He will be canned as soon as suc gets out of jail.

Kiffin was hired to retain recruits and current players, methinks. That was difference between Kiffin's hiring at USC and Dooley's hiring at Tennessee. USC recruits actually heard of Kiffie (all that mouthing off at the SEC doesn't sound so bad anymore, eh?) but Rocky Top recruits hadn't heard of Dooley, and when they had, they probably weren't very impressed. An ex-SEC coach versus an ex-mid major coach?! Oi!

I really don't think USC was thinking the NCAA would hammer them like they did. I think Kiffin was part of their "win forever" plan and the NCAA would deem them too big to fail, a cash cow that shouldn't be slaughtered, whatever.

once again, HAHHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAAHHAAHHA! :D

achiro
6/9/2011, 04:29 PM
1. Yes, a coach can be individually penalized for infractions committed at another school. As others have pointed out, Kelvin Sampson was hit with personal recruiting limitations.

2. The NCAA can also tag a coach with a "show cause" requirement, which forces any school hiring them to show cause for hiring the guy when he's under an NCAA cloud. If they can't, the school gets tagged with scholarship limitations/whatever.

As far as 2, what happens if the coach has already been hired before a ruling is made?

BoulderSooner79
6/9/2011, 05:41 PM
I really don't think USC was thinking the NCAA would hammer them like they did. I think Kiffin was part of their "win forever" plan and the NCAA would deem them too big to fail, a cash cow that shouldn't be slaughtered, whatever.

once again, HAHHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAAHHAAHHA! :D

I totally agree they were arrogant to the end. They even seemed very confident the appeal would cut the penalties in half once the hammer did come down. Kiffin even bet on it by deferring the scholarship cut until next year.

As much noise as tOSU-gate has generated, they look good compared to USC as far as cooperation goes. They seem to be coming clean now while the players involved are still eligible and subject to direct punishment. Same story for the head coach. Compare that to USC where Bush played out another year, got drafted #2 overall, dated a Kardashian (and dumped her), and won a super bowl before anything got resolved. And Petey coached 4 more years and then took his game to the NFL to the tune of $35m when he felt the heat getting close. It will be interesting to see the sanctions tOSU gets compared to USC.

badger
6/9/2011, 05:45 PM
Don't give tOSU too much credit. tOSU is a public school and subject to open records. USC could drag it's feet as much as it wanted to as a private school.

I don't think Kiffin would have left Knoxville so fast if he thought USC was going on a bowl ban, scholarship cut, etc. Hell, he named his firstborn son Knox and had a fairly fun start there. Now, it's just like he's in the doldrums of coaching and isn't having as much fun. In Knoxville, he was the mouthy brat of SEC coaching. Now, he's the bowl banned coach of a disgraced program living in "Win Forever" Carroll's shadow.

BoulderSooner79
6/9/2011, 05:53 PM
Whether tOSU's cooperation is forced or not, from the NCAA point of view, they get to deal with the transgressors instead of just the school of the transgressors. Sure, Tressel and Pryor will be gone, but directly because of what's happening and not to greener pastures. I also imagine it cost the NCAA lots more $$ to pursue the USC investigation for years than it will tOSU. I don't know if this will result in lighter sanctions - it could just be they get the same because that is the max and the NCAA dial doesn't go to 11. At least the Heisman committee and BCS powers won't have to swoop in and take back trophies. (Hmmm, if they go back to 2002, I guess they could:eek: :eek: )

NorCal Sooner
6/9/2011, 07:18 PM
http://doemasters.smugmug.com/photos/611223902_6u9h9-O.jpg

usaosooner
6/10/2011, 11:50 AM
Kiffin can be given a show cause penalty which basically bares him from contact with recruits for a period of 5 years. A HC not being able to recruit makes him worthless to the university (Kelvin Sampson has a show cause, Bruce Pearl is going to get one)

If Kiffin is given a show cause for his actions at UT, he'll be released as coach of USC imo

NMSooner'80
6/10/2011, 12:10 PM
I'm just still amazed that USC got much of a punishment, pre-Kiffin. They always seemed to be a "sacred cow" in the mold of Texas and Notre Dame.

King Barry's Back
6/10/2011, 09:34 PM
I know this has probably been talked about a lot already but I don't want to search it out.
Can they suspend him, fine him, anything? For the stuff he did while at Tenn?

Seems like a bad deal if a coach can just bail to a new job before anything happens to him.

I wouldn't worry too much. I think he'll get plenty of NCAA wrath being where he is.