PDA

View Full Version : Ty Darlington to announce Sooners soon

SOONER STEAKER
6/7/2011, 11:35 PM
The #1 rated center in America, out of Apopka Florida is almost ready to be the 3rd Floridian to commit to the Sooners. Coach Patton dropped in on two practices last week to see Ty. Ty has several relatives who live in Del City, and his grandmother lives in OKC. Ty's mother was an OU cheerleader in the mid 80's. :)

pappy
6/7/2011, 11:55 PM
Awesome!
Hope you're right and we also Land Gunner (#1 QB) and Green-Beckham (#1 WR #1 recruit overall) very soon.

Mad Dog Madsen
6/8/2011, 08:11 AM
He's a good one! Has offers from coast to coast. We can always use some good lineman so I hope you're right.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Ty-Darlington-109955

SoonerofAlabama
6/8/2011, 01:18 PM
We are getting some talent out of Florida.

MO_Sooner
6/8/2011, 01:55 PM
He's a coaches kid isn't he? I think his dad is the head varsity coach at Apopka.

SOONER STEAKER
6/9/2011, 10:34 AM
He's a coaches kid isn't he? I think his dad is the head varsity coach at Apopka.

Yes, his father is the HC at Apopka, little brother, 6'3" is the returning QB who is just a sophomore.

perryj
6/9/2011, 10:41 AM
Apopka is where former Sooner and Johny Bench award winner JT Wise is from. Never hurts to have one more connection although it sounds like Darlington is plenty connected already.

Mad Dog Madsen
6/9/2011, 10:49 AM
Apopka is where former Sooner and Johny Bench award winner JT Wise is from. Never hurts to have one more connection although it sounds like Darlington is plenty connected already.

J.T. Wise was a transfer from LSU... But yeah I get your point. ;)

SoonerTank
6/17/2011, 11:06 AM
Yes, his father is the HC at Apopka, little brother, 6'3" is the returning QB who is just a sophomore.

Steaker - How does his brother look? Is he good enough to get a look from OU?

SOONER STEAKER
6/17/2011, 11:47 AM
saw Apopka play on TV, brother was the throwing QB and Apopka had a great athlete do the run game. Very talented but probably to early to tell.

SoonerTank
6/17/2011, 11:49 AM
saw Apopka play on TV, brother was the throwing QB and Apopka had a great athlete do the run game. Very talented but probably to early to tell.

Thanks for the info!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/17/2011, 12:39 PM
Ty Darlington commits today! http://oklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=8&c=1&nid=4891471

http://oklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=9&c=8&toinid=667&yr=2012

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/recruit-search-results?year=2012&sport_id=1&sport=football&keywords=ty+darlington

We now have 3 Florida commits.

badger
6/17/2011, 01:12 PM
So I read this (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=440&articleid=20110617_440_0_NORMAN205253) headline and thought, woot! Go Lon Kruger! Way to land a top center!

And then I read that the guy is 6'3", and I'm like, "well, you don't need to be seven feet tall to be a top center, I mean, Magic played all five positions" then I read a little further and learn he's a football player :(

And here I was ready to love Lon a little bit more :(

SoonerofAlabama
6/17/2011, 01:22 PM
How much more love could there be before he has even coached a game? ;)

6/17/2011, 01:48 PM
Hi Ty, welcome to the Sooner basketball team!

Soonerlife07
6/17/2011, 07:58 PM
This makes the 3rd recruit from florida!

MojoRisen
6/18/2011, 09:49 AM
Think it helps playing and kicking the shiate out of FSU in getting some of these central to northern Florida guys?

Soonermagik
6/18/2011, 10:34 PM
Think it helps playing and kicking the shiate out of FSU in getting some of these central to northern Florida guys?

Not just that, but playing Miami helped, too. I would like to see OU have most of their out of conference games against Florida and Califoria teams for the exposure in those states. If we can get kids from Oklahoma, Texas, California and Florida we will do okay. ;)

OU-HSV
6/19/2011, 10:00 AM
Great news. Now let's land Gunner and DGB

SoonerofAlabama
6/20/2011, 05:51 PM
3 Floridians, 3 Texans, 2 Oklahomans, and 1 Missourian. Pretty good class so far.

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/20/2011, 07:31 PM
Is Stoops the best nationwide recruiter there is? Me thinks so.

BoulderSooner79
6/20/2011, 11:52 PM
Is Stoops the best nationwide recruiter there is? Me thinks so.

He may be now that the NCAA boot is on USC's neck. He's certainly high on the list.

Curly Bill
6/21/2011, 12:59 AM
I don't think you can really say who's #1. There's a small group you could make a good argument for, and Bob and company are obviously in the discussion.

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/21/2011, 11:36 PM
Curly, why you always gotta come in and rain on my parade with all that sensible talk? ;)

Curly Bill
6/21/2011, 11:39 PM
Oh, I think when it comes to recruiting nationally we're right up there. I just think it's hard to say who the true #1 is. And I would say it likely varies from year to year, but obviously we're doing a great job of it, and seemingly only getting better looking at last year and this year.

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/21/2011, 11:43 PM
Yeah, youre definitely right. USC still recruits nationally pretty well along with a few others. I just think given OUs location and whatnot, the places Stoops brings recruits in from is very impressive. Not that OU isnt a great place to be, but to an 18 year old kid, living in Southern Cali, or middle of Oklahoma? Seems like a no brainer to me, but he does a great job of selling the program nationally.

Curly Bill
6/21/2011, 11:45 PM
No doubt..

SoonerofAlabama
6/21/2011, 11:50 PM
Jus to say, the easiest states to be a college in are IMO 1.Texas,
2.California, and 3.Florida. Any others that you would put in those places? To pull kids out of the strangleholds of those states is a feat.

Curly Bill
6/22/2011, 12:27 AM
Those three states have the built-in advantage of having lots & lots of high school talent.

The 2nd tier would probably be Ohio, Alabama, maybe Louisiana...

Fraggle145
6/22/2011, 02:58 PM
Those three states have the built-in advantage of having lots & lots of high school talent.

The 2nd tier would probably be Ohio, Alabama, maybe Louisiana...

Dont forget Georgia. Alabama, LSU, and especially Allbarn gets tons of players out of Georgia. Just because UGA cant keep its instate talent doesnt mean it isnt some of the best in the country.

KantoSooner
6/22/2011, 03:33 PM
Penn also has a load of talent as does Ohio. Big populations.

WichitaSooner
6/22/2011, 03:40 PM
Wow, I thought this was a NASCAR thread...

Mad Dog Madsen
6/22/2011, 04:22 PM
Wow, I thought this was a NASCAR thread...

Why would you think that? Do people on here actually watch that sh*t? :confused:

bringit
6/22/2011, 05:33 PM
I do. The last 30 minutes or so.

6/22/2011, 05:34 PM
I do. The last 30 minutes or so.the mention of southern states?

WichitaSooner
6/22/2011, 08:23 PM
Why would you think that? Do people on here actually watch that sh*t? :confused:

I don't... but if I was to come up with a CLASSIC name for a nascar driver, it would be Ty Darlington

SOONER STEAKER
7/19/2011, 09:39 PM
Ty scored a 33 on his ACT, looks like David Boren will be taking care of his scholly on his National Merit Scholarship deal. Saves a scholly for another great player. Great work Ty!!!

Soonermagik
7/20/2011, 08:10 AM
Ty scored a 33 on his ACT, looks like David Boren will be taking care of his scholly on his National Merit Scholarship deal. Saves a scholly for another great player. Great work Ty!!!

Wow, that's great!! It's been at least a decade since I took the ACT, but wasn't a 36 the top score? If that frees up a scholly then that's amazing. I would like to see Bob give it to Winchester or one of the other TE's if he hasn't already.

SOONER STEAKER
7/20/2011, 08:55 AM
Seems like Winchester is a senior this season. Ty will still be playing HS ball this upcoming season. Also, it seems like Winchester was put on scholly after Christmas break. Seems like I heard that, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Widescreen
7/20/2011, 10:29 AM
Seems like Winchester is a senior this season. Ty will still be playing HS ball this upcoming season. Also, it seems like Winchester was put on scholly after Christmas break. Seems like I heard that, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, seems like.

;)

Salt City Sooner
7/20/2011, 03:26 PM
Not quite yet (although if he's as sharp as he seems, it'll eventually be the case). He's got some work to do at OU first. Per page 205 of the link:

15.5.1.2.2 Exception—Receipt of Institutional Academic Aid Only. In football or basketball, a student-athlete who was recruited by the awarding institution and whose only source of institutional financial aid is academic aid based solely on the recipient’s academic record at the certifying institution, awarded independently of athletics interests and in amounts consistent with the pattern of all such awards made by the institution, may compete without counting in the institution’s financial aid team limits, provided he or
she has completed at least one academic year of full-time enrollment at the certifying institution and has achieved a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.300 (on a 4.000 scale) at the certifying institution.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D111.pdf