PDA

View Full Version : The hits keep coming in West Virginia

The Maestro
6/7/2011, 10:35 AM
This should make it more of an interesting season for the Mountaineers...

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/29855310

agoo758
6/7/2011, 10:39 AM
What the **** can the University expect when they bring in an outsider as a coach in waiting and the current Head Coach has to work with his replacement for a season?!?!

Who the **** thought that a "coach-in-waiting" was ever a good idea??

BoulderSooner79
6/7/2011, 10:43 AM
What the **** can the University expect when they bring in an outsider as a coach in waiting and the current Head Coach has to work with his replacement for a season?!?!

Agreed. I can sorta see it if it is the coach himself doing it and he is really ready to retire or move to AD, but not if the coach wants to keep the job.

I can't see Stoops exiting this way. He may well be involved in finding his successor, but I see him doing it abruptly when we didn't see it coming.

meoveryouxinfinity
6/7/2011, 11:46 AM
There's a way to do it that is acceptable, but still not preferable.
1. Head coach and HCIW must have been coaching together for quite some time (3+ years)
2. Head coach wishes to retire within 1-2 years
3. The date the the head coach is leaving must be non negotiable. He can't drag his stay out or be vague about when he is leaving
4. Head coach must initiate these talks about leaving and designating a HCIW

Still.. a lot can happen in the year(s) between the HC saying he wants to leave and actually leaving. He can change his mind.. the team can go through on or off the field turmoil.. etc.

It's kind of like signing an agreement NOW to buy stock of Google in 2014. Why not just wait until 2014 and see if you still want it?

soonerloyal
6/7/2011, 11:51 AM

soonerchk
6/7/2011, 12:15 PM
It's not like they need to do much digging since Dana is just going to put it all out there.

Memtig14
6/7/2011, 12:19 PM
It's not like they need to do much digging since Dana is just going to put it all out there.

My thoughts exactly.

3rdgensooner
6/7/2011, 12:21 PM
I'm OUT there Jerry, and I'm LOVING every minute of it!

http://www.thesocialcentre.com/images/kramer2.jpg

badger
6/7/2011, 12:36 PM
I feel a little bit bad for Stewart, getting ousted unceremoniously by some new hotshot, but he was given a gift of an opportunity and a very unexpected gift at that... consider:

1- Rich Roddy goes from homegrown hero to Bendict Arnold. A West Virginia native bolting for the Big House. Hail to the Victors!

2- Stewart is named the interim coach for the letdown bowl. It really was a letdown bowl. Both us and WVU were in line for the title game that year.

3- Stewart catches us in the letdown bowl on our worst day of that season. We could win the Fiesta Bowl 20 times in the next 20 years and I'd still hate it for this particular game. Booo.

4- Stewart gets to keep the head coaching job because of the letdown bowl victory.

If you look up Bill Stewart's coaching career, it's filled with assistant jobs. Go ahead, look here! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Stewart_%28American_football%29) Salem College (assistant), North Carolina (assistant), Marshall (assistant), William & Mary (assistant), it goes on. Assistant, assistant, assistant.

Bill Stewart was career assistant till he lucked into the head coaching role. Now that a new hotshot coordinator is gonna usurp his 9-wins-and-9-wins-only arse (go ahead and check that too on the same page: 9 win seasons three straight years in the Big Least conference!) he's complaining?

He was d@mn lucky to catch us on our off-night in the letdown bowl, d@mn lucky that Rich Roddy was fed up with WVU when he was and d@mn lucky to last this long in a role he has no place being in as a career assistant.

SoonerNomad
6/7/2011, 12:46 PM
The AD, Oliver Luck, has made it clear that he believes Coach Stewart's ceiling is nine wins and that he believes Coach Stewart will never lead West Virginia to national relevance. He may be right.

However, hitching his wagon to an apparent problem child like Holgorson may have been the wrong move. And then to do it in such a ridiculous manner by having your next coach work under the guy he is going to replace. This was an idea that should have been scrapped when first brought up.

What we are seeing now is the first signs of the inevitable implosion of the idea, especially if Coach Stewart and his wife are leaking news about Holgorson (which has been implied).

badger
6/7/2011, 12:58 PM
It wasn't just the 9-win thing I think. It was having two conferences losses each year and only winning the Big East once (last year, which was a tie I think, hence us going to the Fiesta with the Conn). WVU should have really been so much better than they were with all of that talent and no conference competition (with apologies to Cincy)

SoonerDood
6/7/2011, 01:00 PM

Put Okie State and Tex's Teck in there too. It worked out so well, didn't it?;)

Jacie
6/7/2011, 03:35 PM
That Richie left Stewie in Morgantown when he ran off to Ann Arbor says all anyone (except the WVU administration) needed to know about him.

Scott D
6/7/2011, 03:48 PM

In all honesty, certain members of the Board of Regents at Florida State didn't think that the former Bowden player now the AD had the stones to fire Bowden, so they came up with this slick way of getting his replacement in place before they could get the situation to the point where they could kick the old man out to pasture.

Notice JoePa refuses to be involved in any discussion about a "Coach-in-waiting"

Sooner_Tuf
6/7/2011, 09:48 PM
Joe Pa has been grooming his kid for about 35 years. He's just not quite there yet.

agoo758
6/7/2011, 11:35 PM
Notice JoePa refuses to be involved in any discussion about a "Coach-in-waiting"

Don't blame him. If I became a head coach, I would want it to be in my contract that if the university were to designate a coach in waiting, a penalty will be paid to me, and I get a free jacuzzi. :pop:

agoo758
6/7/2011, 11:36 PM
By the way, I disagree with just about everyone in this thread about Bill Stewart.

SoonerMarkVA
6/8/2011, 07:45 AM

Yeah. It's a little like saying, "Hey, go de-pants that guy who's mooning everyone!"

Mississippi Sooner
6/8/2011, 07:49 AM
"I don't see much damage at all going into the football season because we can get all this sorted out, this summer certainly."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/ncaa/06/07/west-virginia-coaches.ap/index.html#ixzz1OgjT2iaP

The end may be near.

badger
6/8/2011, 07:58 AM
By the way, I disagree with just about everyone in this thread about Bill Stewart.

I know that it seems like he has something good going there, but one conference championship and WVU had to share it with others. Simply not enough in the Big East, where unlike basketball, where they have a billion teams competing for the conference title, the Big Least has the least number of football teams competing for that BCS auto spot.

Winning is very important in college football. He didn't win enough, even if he won a lot.

soonerchk
6/8/2011, 09:05 AM
I know that it seems like he has something good going there, but one conference championship and WVU had to share it with others. Simply not enough in the Big East, where unlike basketball, where they have a billion teams competing for the conference title, the Big Least has the least number of football teams competing for that BCS auto spot.

Winning is very important in college football. He didn't win enough, even if he won a lot.

Kind of like Gary Gibbs.

Jacie
6/8/2011, 10:06 AM

I'd like to hear the rationalization behind that.

Stewie is a career assistant coach. He'd already tried and failed at being the head coach once before going back to being the second or third banana. It was not his team that got them into the Fiesta Bowl, the players earned that win, not him. He backed into the WVU job, being in the right place at the right time. The mountaineers managed to win the Big East but they whiffed on an opportunity to return to the BCS the year before that. Rightly or wrongly, the people who make the decisions in Morgantown expect more. Oh and keep in mind, when Rich Rod left the hillbilly state, notice he didn't invite Bill to join him. You think that doesn't speak volumes?

So what part of that do you disagree with?