PDA

View Full Version : Car Repair Question...

royalfan5
6/7/2011, 08:53 AM
If a brand new replacement part fails in two days, is it unreasonable to expect that it will be replaced for little to no money?

pphilfran
6/7/2011, 08:54 AM
What part...who did the work...what is their policy..

olevetonahill
6/7/2011, 08:58 AM
When I had my shop open, I would warranty parts and labor for at least 30 days. If the Part had a longer warranty than that, then Id just charge labor to replace it.. Some times they could get the Parts Manufacturer to pay for all of it but not often.

SoCaliSooner
6/7/2011, 09:03 AM
There should be a warranty on the part from the manufacturer. Look on your paperwork for fine print stating warranty. Most manufacturers offer 12 months, mechanics usually offer 90 days.

stoops the eternal pimp
6/7/2011, 09:19 AM
I think it is very unreasonable

XingTheRubicon
6/7/2011, 09:22 AM
ask them with a bat in your hands and also tell them you need it done now, cause you're on your way to the pharmacy.

tcrb
6/7/2011, 09:30 AM
What kind of part are we talking about....electrical or mechanical? Did a shop install it, or did you diy? The parts store where I buy my parts honors a 30 day warranty on everything (unless it's improperly installed), more if the manufacturer has a longer warranty. Some electrical parts dont carry a warranty unless installed by a pro and all the proper voltage checks are done prior to install.

royalfan5
6/7/2011, 09:34 AM
What kind of part are we talking about....electrical or mechanical? Did a shop install it, or did you diy? The parts store where I buy my parts honors a 30 day warranty on everything (unless it's improperly installed), more if the manufacturer has a longer warranty. Some electrical parts dont carry a warranty unless installed by a pro and all the proper voltage checks are done prior to install.

Ignition switch. Done by a shop because I'm bad at electrical stuff, and didn't want to tear apart the car outdoors in 95 degree weather.

tcrb
6/7/2011, 09:46 AM
Ignition switch. Done by a shop because I'm bad at electrical stuff, and didn't want to tear apart the car outdoors in 95 degree weather.

If the shop is one that's been around for a while, or intends to be around for a while, they should replace that for you. I would expect no charge or minimal charge for labor. The only caveat that might come into play is if they find something else besides the switch that's also part of the problem. But even then, I would have expected them to identify that in the original diagnosis.
If it were me, I'd take it back to them and state my expectations that they fix it no charge and take a firm stance unless they could show me some pretty solid evidence that they are not at fault.

royalfan5
6/7/2011, 09:55 AM
I just talked to them. It was a part failure, and they are picking up the whole deal for free, parts, labor, and tow.