PDA

View Full Version : Gunner Kiel

Sabanball
6/6/2011, 08:11 PM
Heard that your coaching staff has talked him into a last minute visit before he supposedly makes a decision on 6/12. Can any of you corroborate that?

BoulderSooner79
6/6/2011, 09:37 PM
I'll vouch for you that you heard that because you seem like an honest guy :)

If I were an OU coach, I'd tell Gunner Kiel you can come to OU and be a Heisman winner or you can go to Bama and hand-off to one. Watching one of his highlight videos, he looks like he already knows our offense!

northspeter
6/6/2011, 10:16 PM
corroborated at soonerscoop...

SONofa47straitSOONER
6/7/2011, 12:29 AM
BoulderSooner79, though I personally could care less who wins the Heisman (football is a team sport), your idea of playing to a QB recruit's ego might just work. Coaches, are ya listenin'?

Sabanball
6/7/2011, 05:31 PM
Supposedly he's going to make one more visit to both Norman and Tuscaloosa, from what I am reading on other boards today. And also 6/12 is not a hard date for his announcement as previously thought. That was just the date his HS coach gave out.

Also, I wonder what effect this might have....

http://twitter.com/#!/BryanDFischer/status/77883114902396928

sooner518
6/7/2011, 08:14 PM
Supposedly he's going to make one more visit to both Norman and Tuscaloosa, from what I am reading on other boards today. And also 6/12 is not a hard date for his announcement as previously thought. That was just the date his HS coach gave out.

Also, I wonder what effect this might have....

http://twitter.com/#!/BryanDFischer/status/77883114902396928

i dont think many people thought Bradley would ever play much for our football team, even before he was guaranteed a 7 figure contract.

seems like most sites are saying Kiel was on campus in Norman today.

pappy
6/7/2011, 10:02 PM
Gunner as QB and Striker as a SS/OLB perfect names in this class.

w0lfe
6/8/2011, 08:52 AM
Going to be a lot of these Bama-OU recruiting battles for sure.
I think if we reel in DGB, than Kiel would follow

BoulderSooner79
6/8/2011, 05:42 PM
BoulderSooner79, though I personally could care less who wins the Heisman (football is a team sport), your idea of playing to a QB recruit's ego might just work. Coaches, are ya listenin'?

I'm not a fan of the Heisman trophy myself, just trying to be clever (okay, weak sauce). My point was that OU is much more of a QB oriented team than Bama and I don't see than changing anytime soon. But that doesn't seem to be hurting Nick's QB recruiting success.

sooner59
6/8/2011, 08:10 PM
If the inside info from the OP in this thread is correct, go to the store and stock up on beer, because there will be some celebrating in store.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=146&f=2445&t=7576626

boomersooner28
6/9/2011, 07:54 AM
:pop:

NOVSooner
6/9/2011, 07:59 AM
If the inside info from the OP in this thread is correct, go to the store and stock up on beer, because there will be some celebrating in store.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=146&f=2445&t=7576626

i hope that comes to pass (no pun intended), i "almost" giggled some. reel in DGB too and i may giggle out loud!

just curious, what would be the other areas of need. we have some OL commits, could prob use more and maybe some D-line,secondary? anything else?

Sabanball
6/10/2011, 07:27 PM
Looks to me like your coaching staff got nervous and wanted to stall his committment announcement plans--and I'll give them credit they were successful. I think this only helps you guys and not us....

https://mobile.twitter.com/NUScout/status/79304630655385600

MojoRisen
6/10/2011, 09:22 PM
He can be the 4th bronze statue in the last 15 years! Assuming we get one this year for Landry!

If he is not afraid to compete we will get him 4-5K passing yards a year and 30-40 TDs

BoulderSooner79
6/10/2011, 11:47 PM
Looks to me like your coaching staff got nervous and wanted to stall his committment announcement plans--and I'll give them credit they were successful. I think this only helps you guys and not us....

https://mobile.twitter.com/NUScout/status/79304630655385600

My guess is this doesn't hurt or help anyone and he has already decided. Just means we'll find out later.

Sabanball
6/11/2011, 12:00 PM
I suppose that's true, BS79, but at this point I can't get a read on it--I'm hearing a lot of conflicting information, some of it involving Mizzou, so I'm just gonna step back and watch it play out. I'll say this, I think GK is handling this whole process very well and as mature as one can be at his age. Looks like we are going to get another visit out of him in the next week or two and both parents are coming. If true, then I am not sure why he would have decided in your guys favor, at least yet.

BoulderSooner79
6/11/2011, 06:13 PM
...Looks like we are going to get another visit out of him in the next week or two and both parents are coming. If true, then I am not sure why he would have decided in your guys favor, at least yet.

I didn't mean to imply he has decided on OU, just that he probably has decided. Probably making the rounds one last time, just to be sure.

owenfieldreams
6/11/2011, 08:07 PM
Now hearing he will announce Sunday. Also hearing that ALABAMA out of it. Cannot validate one way or the other. All speculation at this time but seems to be a better than 50/50 chance that all 3 will end up Sooners. One down and two to go.

Sabanball
6/11/2011, 08:45 PM
Now hearing he will announce Sunday. Also hearing that ALABAMA out of it. Cannot validate one way or the other. All speculation at this time but seems to be a better than 50/50 chance that all 3 will end up Sooners. One down and two to go.

My gut agrees with you, Owen, but it's just THAT--a gut feeling or hunch-- that he'll end up in Norman, but I don't see him announcing it tomorrow. He put out an announcement just yesterday that he was putting off the announcement of his decision.

Btw, where are you 'hearing' this from? I always respect your posts, but I also recall you saying at one point during our last coaching search on another forum that there was 'no way' that Nick Saban was even talking to us.

owenfieldreams
6/11/2011, 09:25 PM
I cannot devulge my source and as valid as it may be, it's still not golden. The speculation revolves around a difference in opinion between the kid and his mom and apparently he has now decided to commit tomorrow, even after he said he was going to wait.

None of this could have a sliver of truth to it and there's noway I can provide a connection to the source. Scout is apparently saying it's on again tomorrow.

Apparently lots of talk between the three of them as the OU commit out of STL is trying to influence the decision of the other two. Again, all of this is pure second or third hand info so speculative at best. Hell, I wouldn't surprised if he committed to ND tomorrow. HA!

Sabanball
6/12/2011, 05:43 PM
Some rumors on the Michigan boards being put out that they may now be in the mix, but I really think there's nothing to it. They are rebuilding and both of our programs are already poised to win championships for years to come and provide a clear pathway to the league.

I am starting to think he is already a silent commit to one of us OR he is legitimately torn, perhaps with each parent siding with a different school and trying to convince the other. Either way, I think it could now be weeks before he announces.

soonerloyal
6/12/2011, 06:46 PM
I hope GDB and GK come to Norman to play as Sooners, but I hope above all they go where it's absolutely the best for them and their families.

And if it's another school...they'll shine except when they play the Sooners. We'll shine either way. ;)

Take the time you need and make it right for you, guys. Best of luck and God bless.

Ruf/Nek7
6/13/2011, 02:07 AM
So I guess Gunner didn't "pull the trigger" today? Bahahaha I crack myself up

Sabanball
6/13/2011, 06:46 PM
I hope GDB and GK come to Norman to play as Sooners, but I hope above all they go where it's absolutely the best for them and their families.

And if it's another school...they'll shine except when they play the Sooners. We'll shine either way. ;)

Take the time you need and make it right for you, guys. Best of luck and God bless.

Reminds me of Barry Switzer's famous line that he used when recruiting," Come to Oklahoma and win NC's, or don't come to Oklahoma and we're STILL gonna win NC's." Sounds kind of snarky, but damn it must have worked. Barry was one of the great recruiters of all-time IMO...

Ruf/Nek7
6/13/2011, 06:50 PM
Reminds me of Barry Switzer's famous line that he used when recruiting," Come to Oklahoma and win NC's, or don't come to Oklahoma and we're STILL gonna win NC's." Sounds kind of snarky, but damn it must have worked. Barry was one of the great recruiters of all-time IMO...

Cus he wasn't afraid to recruit dem colored boys

SoonerofAlabama
6/13/2011, 06:53 PM
What is the best recruiting site? I heard his decision was between Alabama and Oklahoma, but rivals doesn't list either of those schools in his top 5.

Curly Bill
6/13/2011, 07:53 PM
What is the best recruiting site? I heard his decision was between Alabama and Oklahoma, but rivals doesn't list either of those schools in his top 5.

I don't pay for any of em, but at least as the free stuff goes:

Rivals
Scout
ESPN

Sabanball
6/13/2011, 08:56 PM
I'm a paying member on rivals but I'm actually gathering more info just by following individual recruiting analysts on twitter, which doesn't cost anything.

meoveryouxinfinity
6/14/2011, 01:15 AM
Some rumors on the Michigan boards being put out that they may now be in the mix, but I really think there's nothing to it. They are rebuilding and both of our programs are already poised to win championships for years to come and provide a clear pathway to the league.

I am starting to think he is already a silent commit to one of us OR he is legitimately torn, perhaps with each parent siding with a different school and trying to convince the other. Either way, I think it could now be weeks before he announces.

OU has a lot of good qbs on the roster... Michigan wouldn't be a terrible choice for him...

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/14/2011, 09:54 AM
So does anyone know if hes set a new date to announce now or no? And Michigan is looking like a hot choice for a lot of recruits right now...they are quietly putting together a really solid class. Still, why would anyone go there over OU, if they are unbiased at least?

CatfishSooner
6/14/2011, 12:36 PM
So does anyone know if hes set a new date to announce now or no? And Michigan is looking like a hot choice for a lot of recruits right now...they are quietly putting together a really solid class. Still, why would anyone go there over OU, if they are unbiased at least?

Better chance to play earlier on...

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/14/2011, 01:18 PM
Better chance to play earlier on...

Thats about the only reason I can think of...though, Ive never understood that thought process.

If you are the best QB prospect out of high school, unless the team you sign with has a sophomore Heisman winner that has already stated he will stay till his senior year, shouldnt you have at least a little bit of confidence that you could come in and win the starting job?

At most, Landry has 2 years left, only one would be while Kiel is on campus, so he would have a great chance to start here after a redshirt year.

westbrooke
6/15/2011, 12:00 PM
Linked from SI's front page:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Where-will-top-Class-of-2012-QB-Kiel-land.html

But the Columbus East High School star, who is a pure drop-back passer, is reportedly down to Oklahoma, Indiana, Alabama and Missouri — visiting each campus at least three times — with the Sooners holding a slight edge, according to many recruiting experts.

Ground_Attack
6/15/2011, 01:41 PM
Oklahoma
Alabama
Missouri
Indiana

hmmmm...one of these things is not like the others (and a 2nd really isn't either!)

westbrooke
6/15/2011, 01:51 PM
Hahahaha, my thoughts exactly. However, it made a little more sense when I read that his brother is already at Indiana.

Also, just saw this article linked from Ubben on ESPN:
http://newsok.com/qb-gunner-kiel-has-all-the-tools-and-could-land-at-ou/article/3577196?custom_click=rss

Article quotes Luginbill as saying Tennessee is in the mix. First time I've heard that, though I admit I get 90% of my recruiting news by lurking on this board.

sooner59
6/15/2011, 02:30 PM
Two powerhouses and two "closer to home" schools.

BoulderSooner79
6/15/2011, 02:41 PM
Dang that Kevin Wilson:mad: :D

Sabanball
6/15/2011, 08:09 PM
Gunner and both his parents were in Tuscaloosa today meeting with our coaching staff. Looks like this is going to go down to wire between you guys and us.

BoulderSooner79
6/15/2011, 09:07 PM
Sabanball, we need you over in the football forum to put a leash on tusktimes. He's over there trolling like a horn. Anything you can do? :confused:
;) ;)

Sabanball
6/15/2011, 09:14 PM
Sabanball, we need you over in the football forum to put a leash on tusktimes. He's over there trolling like a horn. Anything you can do? :confused:
;) ;)

Yea, I'll see what I can do...;)

BoulderSooner79
6/15/2011, 10:34 PM
Yea, I'll see what I can do...;)

Thanks, but you were too late to keep him from pilin' up a heap of red. It's all good fun ;)

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/15/2011, 10:47 PM
I just hope the kid makes the right decision, nothing worse than having a huge commit come to your school and then realize he might have made a mistake.. I like that he is taking his time with this and visiting every school, multiple times. Shows that he is taking this process very seriously, and weighing all his options. Shows a lot of characteristics off the field that you want in a QB on the field.

soonerloyal
6/18/2011, 12:44 AM
As of Thursday the 16th, BR was projecting Gunner Kiel was expected to commit to Bama, as soon as he knew where Chad Kelly was going (Clemson). I'm glad the kid is taking careful stock of where his future lies. It's tough waiting, but easier on us than him.

As long as GK makes the decision that is right for him, it's all good. I'd love for us to get him; I guess we'll see.

Widescreen
6/18/2011, 09:50 AM
For the life of me, I can't understand why any top tier passing QB would pick Bama over OU. Bama's a fine program and they win their share of championships, but it's not a QB-friendly offense - especially compared to OU. If Kiel was from Alabama or somewhere close by, maybe I could see it. But he could come to OU, also win championships, have a much better chance at individual honors and get coached by probably the best QB coach in the nation to prep for the NFL. I'm biased, of course, but a top-tier QB picking Bama doesn't make sense to me.

Good luck to him whatever his decision, but I hope he picks OU.

MojoRisen
6/18/2011, 09:51 AM
4500 yards, 40 TD's come on!

SOONER STEAKER
6/18/2011, 04:45 PM
4500 yards, 40 TD's come on!

Projected #'s for Gunner's soph season at OU? We have the wide receivers to make it happen, DON'T WE!! Come on Gunner, pull the trigger on OU!!!!

Ruf/Nek7
6/24/2011, 06:29 PM
Just read on the scoop that Gunner was rumored to say he wants to be the only QB in whatever school's class. If this is true than that basically rules Bama out as they will likely receive a commitment from in-state star Jameis Winston. That leads me to think it is us and misery.

Soonermagik
6/24/2011, 09:09 PM
Just read on the scoop that Gunner was rumored to say he wants to be the only QB in whatever school's class. If this is true than that basically rules Bama out as they will likely receive a commitment from in-state star Jameis Winston. That leads me to think it is us and misery.

That's a bad sign. Sounds like he doesn't want to compete and wants to be promised a spot. LJ is leaving next year... I know this for certain. I won't go into it, but he's gone. I hope Blake Bell is ready to step up.

SoonerofAlabama
6/24/2011, 09:12 PM
That's a bad sign. Sounds like he doesn't want to compete and wants to be promised a spot. LJ is leaving next year... I know this for certain. I won't go into it, but he's gone. I hope Blake Bell is ready to step up.

It would make sense if Landry left after this season, but I believe it depends at least partially on how we do this year because he has so much other stuff now.

And as far as Gunner, don't know if this is a bad sign yet. Maybe misinterpreted?

Mjcpr
6/24/2011, 09:50 PM

Can you tweet it so we can be sure?

mavsfan31
6/24/2011, 10:30 PM
Curious as to why you guys think LJ would be leaving.

My best guess is that he will because he's graduating and getting married, but that's a shot in the dark.

SoonerofAlabama
6/24/2011, 10:35 PM

My best guess is that he will because he's graduating and getting married, but that's a shot in the dark.

Thats mostly it, but again I think it will also partly depend on how we do this season.

northspeter
6/24/2011, 10:45 PM

because that was the goal he set when he signed with oklahoma... and so far everything is going according to plan... he at least matches what he did last year... and he's gone...

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/24/2011, 11:23 PM
Not saying you guys are wrong, but Sam was gone "without a doubt" too after 08. Unless LJ has stated somewhere that he plans to leave next year then I wont believe anything until it happens.

SoonerofAlabama
6/24/2011, 11:28 PM
Yes, that is a good point.

But, Sam had a big let-down that season as well when he got to the MNC and lost a game he probably should have won so he tried to make up for it by trying again the next season and we know how that worked out. Sam didn't have as much together as Landry does now though. Landry will graduate after this year and will soon be married and already knows that he wants to be a preacher when he gets older. Plus, Landry's draft prospects can only get better.

mavsfan31
6/24/2011, 11:51 PM
Yeah, don't think this is a smart move on Gunner's part regardless. Competition is good, pushes you to get better.

Ruf/Nek7
6/25/2011, 08:08 AM
I don't think it's all that bad that he makes a comment like that. If he comes to OU he will have competition every day, every year. The QB crop for 2013 is shaping up to be even better than this years and you know OU will get one that we will all say is the best recruit in some time and challenge Bell, Thompson, Kiel (assuming we get him). I for one don't mind the request at all....that of course if its for real

yankee
6/25/2011, 11:45 AM
I think you guys are really reading too much into that quote.

northspeter
6/25/2011, 02:09 PM
Not saying you guys are wrong, but Sam was gone "without a doubt" too after 08. Unless LJ has stated somewhere that he plans to leave next year then I wont believe anything until it happens.

this is what he told people when he was being recruited... its a big reason why he almost left after his freshman year... like most freshman he thought he was good enough to step in and win the job rite away... obviously sam was much better than LJ had imagined and he thought his future was in jeopardy if he waited too long behind sam... then BYU happened... and LJ was back on schedule... he's being talked about as a top 10 pick going in to the season... i dont see whats so far fetched about him possibly leaving....

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/25/2011, 09:39 PM
this is what he told people when he was being recruited... its a big reason why he almost left after his freshman year... like most freshman he thought he was good enough to step in and win the job rite away... obviously sam was much better than LJ had imagined and he thought his future was in jeopardy if he waited too long behind sam... then BYU happened... and LJ was back on schedule... he's being talked about as a top 10 pick going in to the season... i dont see whats so far fetched about him possibly leaving....

I never said anything about it being far fetched. Theres just people acting like they know he is gone like they are in his head or something. I stated that people "knew without a doubt" the same thing about Bradford before he decided to stay. Either way, I didnt say you guys were wrong but quit acting like you know what hes gonna do.

Bradford turned down an almost guaranteed number 1 overall pick and millions to come back to OU. Just because Landry is graduating and getting married doesnt mean hes leaving.

northspeter
6/25/2011, 09:44 PM
I never said anything about it being far fetched. Theres just people acting like they know he is gone like they are in his head or something. I stated that people "knew without a doubt" the same thing about Bradford before he decided to stay. Either way, I didnt say you guys were wrong but quit acting like you know what hes gonna do.

Bradford turned down an almost guaranteed number 1 overall pick and millions to come back to OU. Just because Landry is graduating and getting married doesnt mean hes leaving.

all im saying is what his plans were when he signed... and those havent changed...

SoonerofAlabama
6/25/2011, 09:47 PM

Okay, you make a good point here. Infact everyone thought Landry would leave this past year, he didn't but he hadn't graduated yet. Look again, it jsut depends on how we do this season in my mind. I believe he wants to be a national champion when he leaves the school, and I think if he doesn't obtain this he will stay one more year,which I would think would make Whitney stay one more year. And I definitely want Landry to stay until all of his eligibility is up, I believe we all do, correct?

Okie35
6/25/2011, 11:02 PM
Thats mostly it, but again I think it will also partly depend on how we do this season.

I think most of it will depend on how we do this season.

Soonermagik
6/25/2011, 11:04 PM
Okay, you make a good point here. Infact everyone thought Landry would leave this past year, he didn't but he hadn't graduated yet. Look again, it jsut depends on how we do this season in my mind. I believe he wants to be a national champion when he leaves the school, and I think if he doesn't obtain this he will stay one more year,which I would think would make Whitney stay one more year. And I definitely want Landry to stay until all of his eligibility is up, I believe we all do, correct?

I want him to stay, but he likely won't. I can't go into details, but he's expressed interest in leaving after this year. He's likely going to be a top 20 pick depending upon the season he has. If Luck stumbles due to a new coach then LJ could jump him. I hope LJ stays, but I seriously doubt it.

However, on a positive note, I think Blake Bell will be ready. He will have been in the system for 2 years and had time to mature. I actually prefer our QB's to ride the pine for a couple of years. This is OU, we will be okay. :D

Curly Bill
6/25/2011, 11:12 PM

I honestly don't recall this at all. I thought Broyles and Lewis would be gone, and I think lots of others did too, but I don't recall many thinking LJ was gone.

SoonerofAlabama
6/25/2011, 11:15 PM
I honestly don't recall this at all. I thought Broyles and Lewis would be gone, and I think lots of others did too, but I don't recall many thinking LJ was gone.

A lot of experts outside of our area apparently thoguht he would be gone.

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/26/2011, 02:55 AM
I wasnt trying to sound like a dick or anything, I just hate when people act like they know what a college aged kid is gonna do with his future. You all make really good points about why he should leave but its still speculation. Im just saying that these kids are completely unpredictable.

And northspeter, Im not saying you made anything up, but do you have a link to Landry saying those things during recruiting? That sounds like a good read.

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/26/2011, 02:57 AM

I can back this up. I remember some talking heads saying those things.

madmartigan
6/26/2011, 11:02 AM
i vaguely remember hearing landry was thinking about leaving after last year, but i thought it was because his heart just wasn't in football and he was more interested in pursuing becoming a minister or something? is that what other people remember?

BOOMERBRADLEY
6/26/2011, 11:28 AM
i vaguely remember hearing landry was thinking about leaving after last year, but i thought it was because his heart just wasn't in football and he was more interested in pursuing becoming a minister or something? is that what other people remember?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Cvm35xKxLxU/TZtwi9UPTFI/AAAAAAAAAOk/TVIaeBfNCok/s1600/madmartigan.jpg

OU-HSV
6/26/2011, 12:58 PM

No not at all. There was a Tulsa World article about how he may be interested in pursuing ministry at some point..and I think it mentioned a trip he made to Tulsa to speak at I church. But I don't recall it saying he was thinking about leaving football.
EDIT:After typing that I googled a bit and I did find this...I haven't read this little blurb before, so maybe this is what you were thinking of, wow...
http://newsok.com/landry-jones-wants-to-enter-ministry-after-football-career/article/3505892?custom_click=lead_story_title

bixby28
6/26/2011, 01:16 PM

I doubt there were very many. There really wasn't much talk, if not any, about him leaving on this board, either.

Soonermagik
6/26/2011, 06:32 PM
I wasnt trying to sound like a dick or anything, I just hate when people act like they know what a college aged kid is gonna do with his future. You all make really good points about why he should leave but its still speculation. Im just saying that these kids are completely unpredictable.

And northspeter, Im not saying you made anything up, but do you have a link to Landry saying those things during recruiting? That sounds like a good read.

You aren't a dick at all. I totally understand being skeptical and I wouldn't believe some guy on the internet. However, I called Ryan Broyles coming back last year, because he said he would. You can look that up if you want.

I heard LJ say he plans on leaving after this year. Sure, the kid could change his mind, but he's expressed interest in leaving. Do you blame him? He could easily be a top 10 pick. Now, if he gets hurt or has a terrible year then all bets are off.

northspeter
6/26/2011, 06:35 PM

no links... that i can think of... the tulsa world article that was referenced, mentioned his possibly leaving after his freshman year out of frustration for not playing... but as for the 3yrs and pro ball plan... its all stuff i've heard the recruiting "experts" say on various radio programs... they say its been a "family" goal for Landry's career from the beginning... all i know is what i read and hear... i dont know and haven't talked to anyone personally...

SoonerofAlabama
6/26/2011, 06:38 PM
Well, at this point all of this is speculation. All we can do is hope for a good season and hope Landry does what is best for him.

northspeter
6/26/2011, 06:53 PM
Well, at this point all of this is speculation. All we can do is hope for a good season and hope Landry does what is best for him.

if at the end of the season he's top10 and goes to the draft... it probably means we had a pretty good season... i'll take that!

SoonerofAlabama
6/27/2011, 09:19 PM
Well, he has football in the blood. Father played QB in the NFL, one brother goes to Illinois State and the other with Kevin Wilson at Indiana. All three of them were/are QBs too.

vtsooner21
6/28/2011, 06:21 AM
Would love to see Kiel on the Sooner's squad. Really hoping that Bell gets his shot after this year, though. (Not to dismiss Allen, either with that rocket arm) Would be so great to see the Sooners have a QB with another dimension of being able to run the ball under pressure as Bell is built for. Just not certain as to whether we would see that much at OU...
Boomer

Curly Bill
6/28/2011, 07:23 AM
Would love to see Kiel on the Sooner's squad. Really hoping that Bell gets his shot after this year, though. (Not to dismiss Allen, either with that rocket arm) Would be so great to see the Sooners have a QB with another dimension of being able to run the ball under pressure as Bell is built for. Just not certain as to whether we would see that much at OU...
Boomer

I'm gonna bet not. Doesn't seem to be a Bob kinda thing, though I think it would bring a useful dimension to the offense as well.

BoomerJ
6/28/2011, 02:31 PM
Boomer

You bring up a good point. I love tracking OU recruiting, especially during this time of year because I can't watch baseball or golf on TV unless I'm planning a nap. I get easily sucked into the latest and greatest that might have OU on their radar that I forget who we have. I remember being excited to know that we were getting Bell. We have some family that went to school with him in Kansas. Kiel will be a great pick up if we get him, but if not we have two great prospects to follow Landry and the class of 2013 sounds like it might be stronger than 2012.

SOFSooner
6/29/2011, 01:45 AM
You bring up a good point. I love tracking OU recruiting, especially during this time of year because I can't watch baseball or golf on TV unless I'm planning a nap. I get easily sucked into the latest and greatest that might have OU on their radar that I forget who we have. I remember being excited to know that we were getting Bell. We have some family that went to school with him in Kansas. Kiel will be a great pick up if we get him, but if not we have two great prospects to follow Landry and the class of 2013 sounds like it might be stronger than 2012.

I agree with you on keeping track of OU recruiting and about baseball and golf. I thank goodness for Youtube, being deployed overseas and where I am deployed the only way to get my fix for Sooner football is to watch vintage replays of past Sooner games on Youtube. Hope AFN broadcasts a bunch of the OU games this year because I won't be finished here until May-June 2012.

Fraggle145
6/29/2011, 02:32 AM
I'm gonna bet not. Doesn't seem to be a Bob kinda thing, though I think it would bring a useful dimension to the offense as well.

Heupel used to do it... Landry did do it on one play during last years FSU game. I agree its not a common component and Bob doesnt like it a lot, but the scrambling for a first would be something I would like to see more of... Hell even Brett Rhomar did it a couple of times when he was here and once he figured out how not to get killed doing it towards the end of that season it kind of helped us.

BoulderSooner79
6/29/2011, 01:06 PM
I don't like seeing the QB run much as part of designed plays. But the ability to scramble to buy time can create big plays. There are other times when the defense has no one assigned to the QB and he can run in open space for a while w/o the risk of getting hit - just get out of bounds or hook slide. If the QB run is used very sparingly, then an occasion run like LJ's bootleg in last year's CCG can work as the NU D was unprepared for it.

BoomerJ
6/29/2011, 01:11 PM
I agree with you on keeping track of OU recruiting and about baseball and golf. I thank goodness for Youtube, being deployed overseas and where I am deployed the only way to get my fix for Sooner football is to watch vintage replays of past Sooner games on Youtube. Hope AFN broadcasts a bunch of the OU games this year because I won't be finished here until May-June 2012.

Thanks for your service.

picasso
6/29/2011, 01:14 PM
Heupel used to do it... Landry did do it on one play during last years FSU game. I agree its not a common component and Bob doesnt like it a lot, but the scrambling for a first would be something I would like to see more of... HEll even Brett Rhomar did it a couple of times when he was here and once he figured out how mot to get killed doing it towards the end of that season it kind of helped us.

Bomar was a really good runner. Blind side decleating was his downfall.

SoonerofAlabama
6/29/2011, 01:18 PM
Was Paul Thompson not a running QB to some degree?

picasso
6/29/2011, 01:19 PM

Just on one play when he was a frosh.

BoulderSooner79
6/29/2011, 03:57 PM
I don't recall PT doing much running. He even looked kind of stiff when he was playing WR.

vtsooner21
6/29/2011, 04:10 PM
SOFSooner,
Gonna heap my praise (and prayers) on you along with BoomerJ...Keep your head down and take care of one another there. Hope to meet you and your Buds back at Memorial Stadium someday...God Bless.
Boomer

Breadburner
6/29/2011, 05:48 PM

Go back and watch the A&M game....

SoonerObsession
6/29/2011, 08:42 PM
I remember when PT came in mop up duty against Fresno St. and had like a 65 yard run on a naked boot leg.

Sabanball
6/29/2011, 08:48 PM

More than likely, Winston is going to end up playing MLB. IF he does by chance decide to play college football though, I think he's ours to lose--he's always said that proximity will play a factor in his decision if he goes that route. But, right now, I'd say the chances are better than 50-50 that he opts for baseball.

A lot of rumors online that GK is supposedly ready to commit to you guys and will in the coming days. I don't know if there is anything to it or not.

goingoneight
6/29/2011, 10:51 PM
I like to get the best QB possible, but I've learned it's not always a big deal when some Johnny Five Star turns down Josh Heupel's proven system for developing QBs. I remember back in 2005/2006, a bunch of Sooner fans were all up in arms because we didn't get Mitch Mustain or Matthew Stafford. We just "settled" for some in-state three star guy named Sam something-rather. Wonder whatever happened to those guys?

meoveryouxinfinity
6/30/2011, 12:02 AM
I like to get the best QB possible, but I've learned it's not always a big deal when some Johnny Five Star turns down Josh Heupel's proven system for developing QBs. I remember back in 2005/2006, a bunch of Sooner fans were all up in arms because we didn't get Mitch Mustain or Matthew Stafford. We just "settled" for some in-state three star guy named Sam something-rather. Wonder whatever happened to those guys?

Stafford isn't really the best example to make your point. And Bradford was a pretty highly touted qb, as others always say. He committed early (summer before his junior year) and had an abysmal senior year-- not making the playoffs at PCN for the first time in 10 years. In fact, I think PCN has made the playoffs every year since. In some ways he had a very disappointing senior season. He suffered injuries too.. At least one concussion if not two. This in addition to his early commit led him to be desensationalized. He wasn't some nobody.

Fraggle145
6/30/2011, 10:29 AM
Bomar was a really good runner. Blind side decleating was his downfall.

Thinking back on those now makes me smile. :)

On some of those you have to wonder if the O-line got tired of him and let him take a few shots for thinking he was so allsome.

Ruf/Nek7
6/30/2011, 08:22 PM
More than likely, Winston is going to end up playing MLB. IF he does by chance decide to play college football though, I think he's ours to lose--he's always said that proximity will play a factor in his decision if he goes that route. But, right now, I'd say the chances are better than 50-50 that he opts for baseball.

A lot of rumors online that GK is supposedly ready to commit to you guys and will in the coming days. I don't know if there is anything to it or not.

I know we have offered Winston as well but was completely unaware of his baseball future. Where was he drafted in the recent draft?

soonerguild
7/2/2011, 02:50 PM
Winston just finished or is about to finish his Jr year in school. He is not eligible for the MLB draft until he is a senior. It's just like we didn't find out how high archie bradley was going to go until about a month ago. So at this point he is just a highly ranked prospect.

SoonerofAlabama
7/7/2011, 01:48 AM
247 Sports said he would pick either Indiana or Alabama sometime soon. But it turns out it was just one of the producers saying something from twitter. No timetable for his choice still and OU is still in the running.

Harry Beanbag
7/7/2011, 07:58 AM
<yawn>

WE ARE dirtburglars
7/7/2011, 10:36 AM
Im so ready for him to make his decision, hes already seen everything he needs to see to make his decision, now lets just get on with it.

MO_Sooner
7/7/2011, 05:15 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/college-football/recruiting/player?id=119378&_slug_=maty-mauk&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fcol lege-football%2frecruiting%2fplayer%3fid%3d119378%26_sl ug_%3dmaty-mauk

My guess is Misery saw they didn't have a shot at Gunner and picked up this guy. Probably a good pick up for them. Says he's not as tall as the 6'2" he's listed as which would still make him a foot taller than Booger Daniels. :D

BoulderSooner79
7/7/2011, 05:55 PM
Im so ready for him to make his decision, hes already seen everything he needs to see to make his decision, now lets just get on with it.

Unless he commits elsewhere and then it will be "why did he rush his decision when he had until Feb.?"

;)

WE ARE dirtburglars
7/7/2011, 09:30 PM
Unless he commits elsewhere and then it will be "why did he rush his decision when he had until Feb.?"

;)

Haha not really, I actually think the longer he waits, the harder the decision will become. If he commits somewhere now he will then invest all his time and energy into that one program and probably end up liking it more, but playing the fence like he is only makes things harder. His heart has to be set on a place by now so he just needs to make the call and go with it. If he ends up thinking he made a mistake, he still has until February to change his mind.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/8/2011, 12:30 AM
Was Paul Thompson not a running QB to some degree?You been in Bammer too long.

Sabanball
7/10/2011, 05:28 PM
Jameis Winston has made his decision and many think it hinged on what GK will do. I'm not so sure, if JW is headed to FSU then all bets are off again.

http://alabama.scout.com/a.z?s=14&p=2&c=1085483&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2falabama.scout.com%2f2%2f 1085483.html

trwxxa
7/13/2011, 09:04 PM
Rumblings are Trevor Knight has changed his committment from aTm to the Sooners. Knight is a QB from San Antonio. Take that for what it is.

Apparently posted on his Facebook page.

sooner518
7/13/2011, 09:29 PM
Seems like with knight committing, our coaches know we have no shot at gunner. Winston seems destined for MLB and Gunner is apparently down to IU and Bama. No offense to tide fans but I'd rather see him at IU with Kevin Wilson.

7/14/2011, 01:04 AM
Seems like with knight committing, our coaches know we have no shot at gunner. Winston seems destined for MLB and Gunner is apparently down to IU and Bama. No offense to tide fans but I'd rather see him at IU with Kevin Wilson.Domer needs some in-state competition, anyway.

OUVarsityXV
7/14/2011, 07:01 AM
I hope IU gets him

delhalew
7/14/2011, 10:46 AM
I hope IU gets him

Belief is that they will. I keep hearing he was so in love with Oklahoma, for him to go anywhere else, staying close to home must be issue number one.

WE ARE dirtburglars
7/14/2011, 11:12 AM
As much as I would have loved to get Gunner, we are so stacked at QB right now. If Landry was to leave after this year I have no doubt we would be fine with whoever we already have on campus. Gunner would be great as well, but its not like losing out on him is a huge deal, unless he turns into the next Peyton Manning or something. Anyway, the QB class for next year is being so highly touted already and they are saying its very deep so Im sure we'll get someone good next year too.

Soonermagik
7/14/2011, 10:06 PM
Wilson probably told Stoops the kid was staying in state. Some kids just want to be down the street from their friends and relatives. I'm still not sure how strong a QB class this is.

tulsaoilerfan
7/15/2011, 02:49 PM
I think we will be ok no matter where the kid goes to school :)

w0lfe
7/15/2011, 04:46 PM
As one great one has stated, "we will win with you, and we will win without you"

Sabanball
7/18/2011, 10:47 AM
Jameis Winston and Gunner Kiel are both in Malibu, CA, right now for the Elite 11.

TIFWIW, but Mike Dubberly (Fox 6 sports reporter in Bham, AL) tweeted this:

"I'm told Jameis Winston may announce WITH Gunner Kiehl @ Elite-11 camp in Malibu. Each going to different schools of course"

WE ARE dirtburglars
7/18/2011, 10:57 AM
Jameis Winston and Gunner Kiel are both in Malibu, CA, right now for the Elite 11.

TIFWIW, but Mike Dubberly (Fox 6 sports reporter in Bham, AL) tweeted this:

"I'm told Jameis Winston may announce WITH Gunner Kiehl @ Elite-11 camp in Malibu. Each going to different schools of course"

It really doesnt matter anymore. Bama will get one of these guys for sure, and it looks like OU is losing ground with Kiel. We are just so stacked at QB its hard for a kid to commit here without knowing if he has a good chance at playing time or not. Im ready for him to just make his decision already.

Sabanball
7/18/2011, 11:08 AM
It really doesnt matter anymore. Bama will get one of these guys for sure, and it looks like OU is losing ground with Kiel. We are just so stacked at QB its hard for a kid to commit here without knowing if he has a good chance at playing time or not. Im ready for him to just make his decision already.

I tend to agree with you, and I think the Knight pickup by you guys may tell us all something, if you read between the lines. Personally, I'd rather have Kiel and think Jameis is too much of a wildcard with the MLB issue, but Saban has been recruiting JW to Bama since the 10th grade, and many people here think he is already a Bama silent commit. Combine those two things(Knight and Winston) and could it actually be possible that GK waited too long to make a decision? Whatever it is, it won't be hard to figure out after JW publicly announces next week.

Soonermagik
7/18/2011, 12:51 PM
I tend to agree with you, and I think the Knight pickup by you guys may tell us all something, if you read between the lines. Personally, I'd rather have Kiel and think Jameis is too much of a wildcard with the MLB issue, but Saban has been recruiting JW to Bama since the 10th grade, and many people here think he is already a Bama silent commit. Combine those two things(Knight and Winston) and could it actually be possible that GK waited too long to make a decision? Whatever it is, it won't be hard to figure out after JW publicly announces next week.

OU & Bama will both be fine with or without him.

Ruf/Nek7
7/18/2011, 07:18 PM
Word has it Winston is set to decide Aug. 3rd and Gunner to follow really soon. The main reason why IU is even in it is because older brother goes there and this allows the parents to be at both son's games...even though only one can actually start

Sabanball
7/19/2011, 09:48 AM
Ruf Nek, that's my understanding as well. JW is the holdup in this whole deal. He already has said he has made his decision, I just wish he would go ahead and publicly announce, instead of trying to cut some deal with ESPN to cover it. Once he announces, I expect we'll hear something from Gunner.

Adam Gorney of Rivals interviewed GK yesterday in Malibu when Gunner said that he would not be going to a school where another QB was in the class--I've always assumed that would be the case, but that's the first time I've actually heard of him actually saying that. IF he means what he says, it would appear that you guys are out of the equation, since you just took the #5 rated QB.

But, like I and others have said, neither of our programs will miss a beat without this kid, and he will have to wait in line to play at either also.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/19/2011, 09:51 AM
Damn, he lied to me... :(

7/21/2011, 07:43 PM
It'd be a cryin' shame if Kiel goes to Bammer and turns out to be as good as the Gilbert kid at the cows...

Ruf/Nek7
7/22/2011, 08:07 AM
Damn, he lied to me... :(

Damn, you lied to us:( :P

yankee
7/27/2011, 03:21 PM
Kiel apparently just committed to Indiana. :eek:

Kevin Wilson, with his first huge victory in Bloomington. Great for him.

SoonerofAlabama
7/27/2011, 03:22 PM
Kiel apparently just committed to Indiana. :eek:

Kevin Wilson, with his first huge victory in Bloomington. Great for him.

Wait till the parents find out that both their sons can't play QB at the same time.

7/27/2011, 03:29 PM
Wait till the parents find out that both their sons can't play QB at the same time.coin flip before each game for who starts that day.

OUVarsityXV
7/27/2011, 03:33 PM
Well I guess he doesn't want to a win a Heisman. I guess he has come to peace with that

7/27/2011, 03:40 PM
Well I guess he doesn't want to a win a Heisman, or a championship. I guess he has come to peace with thatFIFY

silverwheels
7/27/2011, 03:42 PM
We were out of the Kiel sweepstakes when we got Knight. I'm just glad he's not going to Alabama (as of right now).

northspeter
7/27/2011, 04:16 PM
We were out of the Kiel sweepstakes when we got Knight. I'm just glad he's not going to Alabama (as of right now).

we took knight cuz we were out of the kiel sweepstakes... i suspect its been indiana for a while now...

7/27/2011, 04:23 PM
we took knight cuz we were out of the kiel sweepstakes... i suspect its been indiana for a while now...HAY KNIGHT! Show yer stuff. You've got 4-stars, so you're already ahead of Sam Bradford. Welcome to OU, from a Sooner longtimer.

SyN
7/27/2011, 04:25 PM
If this is true? I'm glad he went to Indiana, instead of Alabama... His goals are not set very high...

No National TV-No Chance at National Championship-Very Little Chance at a Heisman... Hmmm

silverwheels
7/27/2011, 04:33 PM
we took knight cuz we were out of the kiel sweepstakes... i suspect its been indiana for a while now...

Probably. It will be rough for him at first, but if Wilson is a good coach, he'll have them at least going to mid-tier bowls in a couple of years, increasing Kiel's profile for the NFL.

Curly Bill
7/27/2011, 04:46 PM
Lets see....he coulda gone to Oklahoma, he coulda gone to Alabama, but he chooses to go to Indiana? Yeah, I'm not disappointed we didn't get him.

yankee
7/27/2011, 04:50 PM
If this is true? I'm glad he went to Indiana, instead of Alabama... His goals are not set very high...

No National TV-No Chance at National Championship-Very Little Chance at a Heisman... Hmmm

Lets see....he coulda gone to Oklahoma, he coulda gone to Alabama, but he chooses to go to Indiana? Yeah, I'm not disappointed we didn't get him.

I see. He didn't commit to us so now he's not worthy. That's always the way it works. Maybe he committed there because he liked the coaching staff better? Maybe he liked it because it was close to home? Maybe he wanted to join Coach Wilson in helping rebuild the football program. How do you guys know his goals weren't set very high or his head isn't in the right place? You don't know the kid...I'm happy we got Knight and I'm also happy for Coach Wilson. No ill will towards Kiel at all.

Curly Bill
7/27/2011, 04:55 PM
I said somewhere he's not worthy? I raised the possibility he might be afraid of a little competition. That could be true, that could be false.

And I'm not holding my breath on the whole rebuilding Indiana thing - not unless we're talking about B-ball.

SoonerofAlabama
7/27/2011, 04:57 PM
Shouldn't it be building Indiana. Not re-building. Was there a time when Indiana was good ever?

Curly Bill
7/27/2011, 04:58 PM
Shouldn't it be building Indiana. Not re-building. Was there a time when Indiana was good ever?

:D

I couldn't tell ya. Just off the top of my head I can't recall Indiana football ever being relevant.

SoonerofAlabama
7/27/2011, 05:00 PM
Oh wait they did play Okie State in a bowl game...

....Five years ago. And haven't won a bowl game since '91.

Curly Bill
7/27/2011, 05:02 PM
Oh wait they did play Okie State in a bowl game...

....Five years ago. And haven't won a bowl game since '91.

Yeah, but now they've got KW and Gunner Kiel. Watch out football world! :D

silverwheels
Come on now, Indiana gave us Antwaan Randle El, who was really fun to watch when he suited up for IU.

Other than that, I got nothin'.

SyN
I myself just don't understand... You will see most of the elite players will tell you they want to go Play with the Best and Compete against the Best...I consider him an elite player... Once again I will say---I am glad he went to play for Kevin Wilson...As for his goals? It's obvious! He will do well @ Indiana.

Curly Bill
7/27/2011, 05:05 PM
I don't know...I guess it's no more crazy than when Joe Superstar 5-star signs to play for Super U, when Super U already has a dozen other Superstar 5-stars, playing the same position as Joe Superstar 5-star.

Salt City Sooner
7/27/2011, 05:09 PM
They weren't on the level of Michigan or tOSU, but they were pretty respectable for a large part of Bill Mallory's tenure during the mid 80''s/early 90's. IU has been to 9 bowls in their entire history & he got them into 6 of them.

7/27/2011, 05:19 PM
They weren't on the level of Michigan or tOSU, but they were pretty respectable for a large part of Bill Mallory's tenure during the mid 80''s/early 90's. IU has been to 9 bowls in their entire history & he got them into 6 of them.I'm not going to look it up, but I think they were decent way back when Lee Corso(yeah,THAT Lee Corso)was their HC.

SoonerofAlabama
7/27/2011, 05:27 PM
I'm not going to look it up, but I think they were decent way back when Lee Corso(yeah,THAT Lee Corso)was their HC.

Record:

41-68-2

1 Bowl Game, 1 Bowl Win in 10 seasons.

7/27/2011, 05:29 PM
Record:

41-68-2

1 Bowl Game, 1 Bowl Win in 10 seasons.Well, he's just as good at prognostications!

7/27/2011, 05:31 PM
Record:

41-68-2

1 Bowl Game, 1 Bowl Win in 10 seasons.Did they beat Boise?:(

SoonerofAlabama
7/27/2011, 05:34 PM
Did they beat Boise?:(

BYU

silverwheels
7/27/2011, 05:37 PM
I think Boise was still (officially) a junior college when Corso was coaching at Indiana.

SoonerofAlabama
7/27/2011, 05:40 PM
I think Boise was still (officially) a junior college when Corso was coaching at Indiana.

In 1988, the Broncos were in the Big Sky Conference, in Divison II, or FCS as it is now.

silverwheels
7/27/2011, 05:45 PM
Corso was gone from Indiana by then, though. And I looked it up and Boise was a juco for one year during Corso's tenure at IU.

I was just taking a jab at Boise's academics and Corso's failed coaching career/age.

yankee
7/27/2011, 05:59 PM
I said somewhere he's not worthy? I raised the possibility he might be afraid of a little competition. That could be true, that could be false.

And I'm not holding my breath on the whole rebuilding Indiana thing - not unless we're talking about B-ball.

Seemed to me like you inferred it. Either way, you're still talking out of your *** about what his reasons are for committing there.

Does it matter? My point still stands.

7/27/2011, 06:17 PM
Johnny Pont was a pretty good coach with a respectable(by Indiana standards) record, way back when, I seem to recollect, and I'm not going to look it up.

Maybe they can play the domer a bunch, and take some recruits away from those minnow-munchers up north.(heh)

Sabanball
7/27/2011, 06:23 PM
I think the kid handled his recruitment with a lot of class, and he seems like a very mature young man. While it's understandable someone deciding in the end to stay close to home, he will never play for or win a championship in Bloomington. At Indiana, they cheer for first downs more than they do for wins.

SoonerofAlabama
7/27/2011, 06:53 PM
Johnny Pont was a pretty good coach with a respectable(by Indiana standards) record, way back when, I seem to recollect, and I'm not going to look it up.

Maybe they can play the domer a bunch, and take some recruits away from those minnow-munchers up north.(heh)

31-51. Actually took them to the Rose Bowl against USC. Loss.

Harry Beanbag
7/27/2011, 07:42 PM
They weren't on the level of Michigan or tOSU, but they were pretty respectable for a large part of Bill Mallory's tenure during the mid 80''s/early 90's. IU has been to 9 bowls in their entire history & he got them into 6 of them.

According to Stassen, they are ranked 104 out of 109 teams in all time winning percentage. Yes, lower than Kansas State. They are historically the second worst major conference football program in the history of the sport (Wake Forest).

Record:

41-68-2

1 Bowl Game, 1 Bowl Win in 10 seasons.

That would make Lee Corso a hell of a good coach, much better than I would have ever given him credit for.

All that being said, I wish the kid luck at the home state school, can't begrudge him for that decision. I think OU and Alabama will be fine.

7/27/2011, 08:07 PM
31-51. Actually took them to the Rose Bowl against USC. Loss.D'Oh!!! Indiana standards ain't much, hey?

Curly Bill
7/27/2011, 10:08 PM
Seemed to me like you inferred it. Either way, you're still talking out of your *** about what his reasons are for committing there.

Does it matter? My point still stands.

Well, I'm just glad the kid has a good agent. Keep up the good work. ;)

Salt City Sooner
7/27/2011, 10:09 PM
According to Stassen, they are ranked 104 out of 109 teams in all time winning percentage. Yes, lower than Kansas State. They are historically the second worst major conference football program in the history of the sport (Wake Forest).

That would make Lee Corso a hell of a good coach, much better than I would have ever given him credit for.

All that being said, I wish the kid luck at the home state school, can't begrudge him for that decision. I think OU and Alabama will be fine.
Mallory went 0-11 in his first season there after taking over for Wyche. The rest of his time there, he went 69-66. Not Snyder-esque by any stretch, but that's nothing to sneeze at, considering how low level of a job we're talking about.

SoonerGrant
7/27/2011, 11:37 PM
He said himself he didn't want any competition for the QB job. And after a year under our program, our QB recruit from this year will be a much better player.

Fraggle145
7/28/2011, 12:13 AM
I think the kid handled his recruitment with a lot of class, and he seems like a very mature young man. While it's understandable someone deciding in the end to stay close to home, he will never play for or win a championship in Bloomington. At Indiana, they cheer for first downs more than they do for wins.

Maybe he wants to try to change that. Hell who is left in the big 10? Wisky? and now Nebbish? If there ever would be a chance its now.

7/28/2011, 12:30 AM
Maybe he wants to try to change that. Hell who is left in the big 10? Wisky? and now Nebbish? If there ever would be a chance its now.The Meatchickens are supposed to be having a really good recruiting class. Hel* they need some diversions up there in that Gawd-forsaken wasteland.

yankee
7/28/2011, 09:10 AM
He said himself he didn't want any competition for the QB job. And after a year under our program, our QB recruit from this year will be a much better player.

Just curious, as I have not stumbled upon the quote, where and when did he say that?

SyN
7/28/2011, 11:07 AM
Just had a thought... Would all these nice comments be still nice comments... IF... Gunners choice come down to 2 schools... OU and Texas... and He chose Texas? Just thinking out loud that's all!!! OR even OSU?

7/28/2011, 11:44 AM
Just had a thought... Would all these nice comments be still nice comments... IF... Gunners choice come down to 2 schools... OU and Texas... and He chose Texas? Just thinking out loud that's all!!! OR even OSU?Texas, notre dame and lOSUr should drop football, and the world would be a better place.

silverwheels
8/3/2011, 04:46 PM
Related news: Jameis Winston committed to FSU today. So Bama missed out on Kiel and Winston.

Sabanball
8/3/2011, 04:52 PM
Related news: Jameis Winston committed to FSU today. So Bama missed out on Kiel and Winston.

JW is going to end up playing MLB, so where he committed was really a moot point.

8/3/2011, 05:00 PM
JW is going to end up playing MLB, so where he committed was really a moot point.The Criminoles appear to be doing quite well in recruiting, for the 2nd(or more?) year in a row. The U seems to be taking a back seat to all in the Sunshine Stae. Wonder why?

Sabanball
8/3/2011, 05:46 PM
The Criminoles appear to be doing quite well in recruiting, for the 2nd(or more?) year in a row. The U seems to be taking a back seat to all in the Sunshine Stae. Wonder why?

Two words--Dameyune Craig.

Curly Bill
8/3/2011, 05:49 PM
Two words--Dameyune Craig.

Is he the guy writing the checks to FSU recruits? :D

Sabanball
8/3/2011, 05:52 PM
Is he the guy writing the checks to FSU recruits? :D

Let's just say he's using 'ethically challenged' recruiting techniques and definitely going way over the NCAA speed limit.

8/3/2011, 05:55 PM
Let's just say he's using 'ethically challenged' recruiting techniques and definitely going way over the NCAA speed limit.Do ya s'pose the NCAA and the ACC know about the goings on?

Curly Bill
8/3/2011, 09:44 PM
Any time some school really bursts onto the recruiting scene like never before, or after a period of some dormancy like FSU, and start getting commits from all manor of big-name recuits, it always makes me wonder what exactly are they doing different, and sad to say but in this day and age in college football, I assume some cheating is going on.

Eielson
8/5/2011, 02:11 PM
When this group of kids first started to understand and watch football, FSU vs. Miami was the best rivarly in college football. Now that they have the old man out, I could see how they would be doing well recruiting (for the most part) legally. I wouldn't be too surprised if they weren't, though.

8/5/2011, 02:33 PM
When this group of kids first started to understand and watch football, FSU vs. Miami was the best rivarly in college football. Now that they have the old man out, I could see how they would be doing well recruiting (for the most part) legally. I wouldn't be too surprised if they weren't, though.My sentiments, xactry. Also, FU has a new coach. He's ballyhooed, but unproven as a HC. That could help the Crims, as well.

Lott's Bandana
12/27/2011, 07:11 PM
Has chosen LSU to replace his abandonment of KDub at Indiany.

Anyone surprised he ended up in the SEC?

Sabanball
12/27/2011, 07:47 PM
I just don't see this kid being a good fit in Les Miles system. If he's playing a good bit next year it's not a good sign for LSU's offense. JMHO....

Herr Scholz
12/27/2011, 08:02 PM
He can be the 4th bronze statue in the last 15 years! Assuming we get one this year for Landry!

I guess he's bad now.

Herr Scholz
12/27/2011, 08:08 PM
Belief is that they will. I keep hearing he was so in love with Oklahoma, for him to go anywhere else, staying close to home must be issue number one.
Nope.

Herr Scholz
12/27/2011, 08:11 PM
Just had a thought... Would all these nice comments be still nice comments... IF... Gunners choice come down to 2 schools... OU and Texas... and He chose Texas? Just thinking out loud that's all!!! OR even OSU?
Or LSU with Les Miles?

LSUdeek
12/27/2011, 08:14 PM
I just don't see this kid being a good fit in Les Miles system. If he's playing a good bit next year it's not a good sign for LSU's offense. JMHO....

You don't know much about LSU's depth chart at QB in 2012:

1) Zach Mettenberger (JUCO JR, led team to 2010 NCJAA Championship game, 2 to play 2)
2) Stephen Rivers (RS SO, 3 to play 3)
2a) Jerrard Randall (RS FR)
3) Gunner Kiel

LSU coach Les Miles (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Sports+Coaches,+Team+Owners,+Execs,+Officials/NCAA/Les+Miles) offered Mettenberger, who is 6-5 and 230 pounds, a scholarship over the summer. A host of other major colleges also offered, including Texas A&M, Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, Arizona, Cincinnati, Troy and Louisville.

LSUdeek
12/27/2011, 08:27 PM

Doubtful, unless there are injuries. If he's playing a good bit next year it's not a good sign for LSU's offense. JMHO.

Did you copy and paste this from tidefans? Or... are you "BeatTutorSee"?

Neath a Western Sky
12/27/2011, 10:10 PM
Has chosen LSU to replace his abandonment of KDub at Indiany.

Anyone surprised he ended up in the SEC?

Sorry, Lott's, I just saw this post of yours regarding Kiel and LSU, or I wouldn't have started a thread about it in our regular football section.

Neath a Western Sky
12/27/2011, 10:11 PM

This is cool...LSU/Bama smackdown on Sooner Fans! Keep it going, as I'm sure I'm not the only one here intrigued to observe your view points on this, especially in the run-up to the Big Rematch.

Lott's Bandana
12/27/2011, 10:26 PM
Sorry, Lott's, I just saw this post of yours regarding Kiel and LSU, or I wouldn't have started a thread about it in our regular football section.

Nottabiggie.

Sabanball
12/27/2011, 10:29 PM

Thanks for making my point--I absolutely know your depth chart. With ZM and Rivers, where does Kiel figure in the mix? BTW, we told him "no", we are more than happy with Alec Morris out of Texas. We gave up on Kiel 6-8 months ago and moved on--just like the Sooners did. Good luck with a kid that went from Bama/OU to Indiana, then Tennessee, then to Vandy/Notre Dame, now you guys--the kid definitely has talent, but he is not a good fit for your scheme and frankly seems to have other 'issues'.

The fact of the matter is, given the O that he plays in and his talent, GK would have been better off to go to OU than to either Bama or LSU, where at both of those schools he will be a game manager that only passes for 150-250yds/game.

I cannot wait until Jan 9....How about a friendly 'bet' here on Soonerfans?

OU-HSV
12/28/2011, 12:11 AM
You don't know much about LSU's depth chart at QB in 2012:

1) Zach Mettenberger (JUCO JR, led team to 2010 NCJAA Championship game, 2 to play 2)
2) Stephen Rivers (RS SO, 3 to play 3)
2a) Jerrard Randall (RS FR)
3) Gunner Kiel
I heard there's chatter that Stephen Rivers is transferring..any truth behind that? (I googled it just now and all I see are rumors so far)

LSUdeek
12/28/2011, 03:04 PM
Firstly, you didn't address my post about the identical verbiage from Tidefans.

Thanks for making my point--I absolutely know your depth chart. With ZM and Rivers, where does Kiel figure in the mix?

He's going to redshirt and probably see playing time no sooner than 2014-2015.

BTW, we told him "no", we are more than happy with Alec Morris out of Texas. We gave up on Kiel 6-8 months ago and moved on--just like the Sooners did.

What is the purpose of this sentence other than to take a shot at the kid?

Good luck with a kid that went from Bama/OU to Indiana, then Tennessee, then to Vandy/Notre Dame, now you guys--the kid definitely has talent

but he is not a good fit for your scheme and frankly seems to have other 'issues'.

What is LSU's scheme? LSU doesn't have a "Scheme". The LSU offense is designed to win games and score points in any scenario that the defense chooses to allow. That's why we don't produce Heisman candidates on offense. The Alabama offense is designed around Trent Richardson, and if he gets stopped... oh well, you tried.

What other issues? He's coming to LSU to be 4th on the depth chart. That says that he is looking to come into an established and stable WINNING program with offensive coaches that are signed to multi year deals.

You cant say that about the offensive staff and programs for any of the teams he was looking at. Alabama doesn't know who its offensive coordinator is going to be next season. Vanderbilt is a .500 team. ND's head coach verbally dresses down kids worse than Saban.

The fact of the matter is, given the O that he plays in and his talent, GK would have been better off to go to OU than to either Bama or LSU, where at both of those schools he will be a game manager that only passes for 150-250yds/game.

LSU has a better environment right now than at OU. OU's program is in trouble, IMO.

I cannot wait until Jan 9....How about a friendly 'bet' here on Soonerfans?

If LSU wins, you change your avatar to this, for 1 calendar year until 1/9/2013:

http://www.batonrougetoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/LSU-Logo1.jpg

If Alabama wins, I change my avatar to this, for 1 calendar year until 1/9/2013:

http://community.invisionpower.com/uploads/gallery/album_1618/gallery_260131_1618_105664.jpg

12/28/2011, 06:50 PM
Ewe and the Bammer man are apparently lost. Your programs are too good to be represented on this message board. Kindly Move it over to an SEC SEC SEC SEC communications site, that is more fitting for your comments. Thanks.

LSUdeek
12/28/2011, 07:34 PM
You are one of the ones who has been constantly beating this drum despite our good behavior and willingness to stay inside topics that are relevant to us.

Good thing that the admins of this site like the traffic generated.

12/28/2011, 07:40 PM
You are one of the ones who has been constantly beating this drum despite our good behavior and willingness to stay inside topics that are relevant to us.

Good thing that the admins of this site like the traffic generated.Here we are minding our own business, and outa the blue come some guys who are fans of other programs. I don't capiche why you are here, nor particlarly enjoy it. Nobody's making you leave, nor should they. But, what do you get out of this OU message board?

Sabanball
1/16/2012, 06:14 PM
Twitter is blowing up right now with a story that says GK is leaving LSU to go to Notre Dame.

1/16/2012, 06:21 PM
He's taking Catechism classes at the local Catholic church, even as we speak.

We need to beat the snot outa those guys next yr, and the year after. And, yes, I might have some domer issues...

8timechamps
1/16/2012, 08:17 PM
LSU has a better environment right now than at OU. OU's program is in trouble, IMO.

I was following you until I saw this. How is OU "in trouble"?

1/16/2012, 09:00 PM
I was following you until I saw this. How is OU "in trouble"?He's a joy, ain't he?!?!?

SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC PFFT

picasso
1/16/2012, 11:12 PM
I was following you until I saw this. How is OU "in trouble"?
Because it's been 3 entire seasons since we've been to the BCS title game.

LSU is one more transient ischemic attack away from mediocrity.

gwydion
1/17/2012, 10:11 AM
Twitter is blowing up right now with a story that says GK is leaving LSU to go to Notre Dame.

On CBSspsorts.com too.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26895818/34430615

BillyBall
1/17/2012, 10:27 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26895818/34437221

Drama. Queen.

Lott's Bandana
1/17/2012, 12:19 PM
Firstly, you didn't address my post about the identical verbiage from Tidefans.

He's going to redshirt and probably see playing time no sooner than 2014-2015.

What is LSU's scheme? LSU doesn't have a "Scheme". The LSU offense is designed to win games and score points in any scenario that the defense chooses to allow. That's why we don't produce Heisman candidates on offense. The Alabama offense is designed around Trent Richardson, and if he gets stopped... oh well, you tried.

What other issues? He's coming to LSU to be 4th on the depth chart. That says that he is looking to come into an established and stable WINNING program with offensive coaches that are signed to multi year deals.

You cant say that about the offensive staff and programs for any of the teams he was looking at. Alabama doesn't know who its offensive coordinator is going to be next season. Vanderbilt is a .500 team. ND's head coach verbally dresses down kids worse than Saban.

If LSU wins, you change your avatar to this, for 1 calendar year until 1/9/2013:

http://www.batonrougetoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/LSU-Logo1.jpg

If Alabama wins, I change my avatar to this, for 1 calendar year until 1/9/2013:

http://community.invisionpower.com/uploads/gallery/album_1618/gallery_260131_1618_105664.jpg

I don't really GAS either way....but you did state you were going to change your avvie, Deek. Badger follows through on her bets, I would be shocked if you didn't as well.

OULenexaman
1/17/2012, 02:20 PM
Back to the drawing board for LSU

1/17/2012, 02:32 PM
Back to the drawing board for LSUToo bad the Mad Hatter didn't get his team ready for the BIG ONE at the Mercedes Superdome...

wait...you don't suppose the outcome of that game had any effect on Kiel's recruitment, do you?
A: Naw, it COULDN'T HAVE...heh

jk the sooner fan
1/17/2012, 02:37 PM
Too bad the Mad Hatter didn't get his team ready for the BIG ONE at the Mercedes Superdome...

wait...you don't suppose the outcome of that game had any effect on Kiel's recruitment, do you?
A: Naw, it COULDN'T HAVE...heh

yes because Notre Dame had such an outstanding season........ :/

1/17/2012, 02:41 PM
yes because Notre Dame had such an outstanding season........ :/Think it's possible he's now choosing domer for some different reasons than why he temporarily chose the tigahs?

OULenexaman
1/17/2012, 02:42 PM
hey......at least ND offense didn't play like dead fish's in their Bowl Game......I can see Gunner watching that game and thinking....holy crap that Miles dude is one stubborn SOB.

Curly Bill
1/17/2012, 02:50 PM
This guy has bounced from Indiana to LSU to Domer. To give him credit for making a logical informed decision might be giving him too much credit. I think it's just as likely that Domer was the flavor of the moment for him.

1/17/2012, 02:55 PM
This guy has bounced from Indiana to LSU to Domer. To give him credit for making a logical informed decision might be giving him too much credit. I think it's just as likely that Domer was the flavor of the moment for him.You think he will actually sign with the domer?

Curly Bill
1/17/2012, 02:56 PM
You think he will actually sign with the domer?

I think I saw somewhere that he has enrolled already.

1/17/2012, 02:58 PM
I think I saw somewhere that he has enrolled already.We'll have to kick his behind next fall.

BoomerJ
1/17/2012, 04:40 PM
He may have witnessed some Tigah fans up close and thought twice. He will be close to home. And yes, our players get to shake his hand and say 'good luck the rest of the season' after we spank em.

Jacie
1/17/2012, 05:20 PM
Part of his decision was based on proximity to home, which was why he originally committed to Indiana.

Scott D
1/17/2012, 05:25 PM
Part of his decision was based on proximity to home, which was why he originally committed to Indiana.

I have plenty of reason to doubt him. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that he's got a ton less competition at ND than he did at LSU.

Jacie
1/17/2012, 05:35 PM
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that he's got a ton less competition at ND than he did at LSU.

I disagree. He will have a lot of guys to beat if he plans to play QB at Notre Dame.

Already on campus are junior Tommy Rees, who took over after the first half of a stunning season-opening loss to South Florida and started the next 12 games; junior Andrew Hendrix, who showed promise as a change-of-pace runner and passer in Kelly’s spread offense; or untested and talented Everett Golson, who did not play last year as a freshman. Dayne Crist has transferred to Kansas.

Miles would have just handed him the keys to the car and asked him not to wreck it . . .

StoopTroup
1/17/2012, 05:40 PM
I'm surprised ND didn't try to back out of the Game once they heard Mike and Landry were coming back.

Scott D
1/17/2012, 05:44 PM
I disagree. He will have a lot of guys to beat if he plans to play QB at Notre Dame.

Already on campus are junior Tommy Rees, who took over after the first half of a stunning season-opening loss to South Florida and started the next 12 games; junior Andrew Hendrix, who showed promise as a change-of-pace runner and passer in Kelly’s spread offense; or untested and talented Everett Golson, who did not play last year as a freshman. Dayne Crist has transferred to Kansas.

Miles would have just handed him the keys to the car and asked him not to wreck it . . .

Rees barely held onto the job, and if Kiel can be less turnover prone he'll win the job. Apparently it's already come out (and I'm sure played a huge part in Kiel's decision) that Brian Kelly is likely going to have an open competition for the starting job.

arklahoman36
1/18/2012, 10:23 AM
Rees barely held onto the job, and if Kiel can be less turnover prone he'll win the job. Apparently it's already come out (and I'm sure played a huge part in Kiel's decision) that Brian Kelly is likely going to have an open competition for the starting job.

Its not exactly crowded at LSU. They have Mettenberger, who couldn't get past Jefferson or Lee on the depth chart, and a couple RS FR.

8timechamps
1/18/2012, 05:27 PM
I see Kiel a lot like Powlus at ND. Seems like a long time since they had a great QB (and Powlus wasn't one of them).

Scott D
1/18/2012, 07:18 PM
Its not exactly crowded at LSU. They have Mettenberger, who couldn't get past Jefferson or Lee on the depth chart, and a couple RS FR.

maybe he saw Leslie's offensive playbook and it scared him off.

picasso
1/18/2012, 09:29 PM
Has Chris Simms written all over him.