PDA

View Full Version : Archie Bradley

E-Town
6/6/2011, 06:50 PM
7th overall pick MLB.

JLEW1818
6/6/2011, 06:58 PM
why are people saying he was commited to play QB at OU?

OU-HSV
6/6/2011, 07:53 PM
why are people saying he was commited to play QB at OU?

Well because he is/was committed to OU to play both football and baseball. I think he was technically committed to play baseball but would be some sort of higher up walkon/like an invited walkon in football or something like that.
But all the speculation that he would be drafted high in the MLB draft came true...so my guess is most people were correct when they said he'd never play either sport at OU

(Or were you joking with your post?)

JLEW1818
6/6/2011, 08:07 PM
oh, just didn't see his name on the Football commitment list

BoulderSooner79
6/6/2011, 09:11 PM
If he does go baseball and can't climb out of the minors, we may get 30 y.o
QB someday. :)

Soonerite
6/6/2011, 09:21 PM
I don't think he'll be in the minors for long. That kid is a beast. I can't imagine the **** we'd get from the poke fans after all the Weeden jokes though. :D

BoulderSooner79
6/6/2011, 09:27 PM
I don't think he'll be in the minors for long. That kid is a beast. I can't imagine the **** we'd get from the poke fans after all the Weeden jokes though. :D

And we could laugh along with the poke fans because we would still be beating them. :D

OU-HSV
6/6/2011, 11:15 PM

Oh I just wondered if you were joking because we've talked about him on here in the past. :D

OU-HSV
6/6/2011, 11:42 PM
http://baledger.com/sports/bradley-s-mlb-draft-wait-over/article_f06a90e2-90a5-11e0-a993-001cc4c002e0.html

Bradley's MLB draft wait over

DOUG QUINN/BA LEDGER A DIAMONDBACK —

Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 8:31 pm | Updated: 8:34 pm, Mon Jun 6, 2011.
By Doug Quinn
Sports Editor
[email protected]

Archie Bradley said it seemed "like an eternity" Monday before his named was called in the Major League Baseball draft.
At 6:42 p.m. CDT, Bradley's wait was over when the Broken Arrow High School right-hander was the seventh pick, chosen by the Arizona Diamonbacks.
It came came less than an hour after the proceedings began and only 18 minutes after Owasso's Dylan Bundy was taken fourth by the Baltimore Orioles.
The two hard-throwing right-handers, who are competitors, close friend and workout partners, shared the spotlight – with nearly 200 friends, family, media-types and the Henry P. Iba Awards crowd – at the Renaissance Hotel Convention Center.
"When it happened, when I saw my name on the screen, it was a great moment," said a beaming Bradley. "That moment was bigger and greater than I had expected."
Bradley, who was 12-1 and a major component of BAHS's Class 6A state championship this spring, is the second Broken Arrow product signed by the Diamondbacks. In 1996, Brad Penny was a fifth round choice before Arizona even played in the National League. Today, Penny pitches for the Detroit Tigers.
With the draft completed, contract negations begin. He said his parents, Charles and Pam Bradley, will be heavily involved in those dealings "to get what is best for the family."
When Bud Selig announced Bradley's selection to a nationally televised audience on MLB Network, all the commissioner needed say was "Archie." The room erupted into cheers and high-fives, drowning out the last name.
"I kept telling myself I wasn't going to cry," Bradley said. "But, I kinda teared up. All of a sudden, it became real."
Pam Bradley was misty-eyed as she watched her son and Bundy side-by-side during an interview with MLB Network.
"I am just so elated for Archie," said Pam Bradley, principal at Broken Arrow's Haskell Middle School.
Being taken by the Diamondbacks struck an emotional chord. Pam Bradley was born in Casa Grande, Ariz., on a Navaho Reservation. "I'm happy Archie is going to my birth state," Pam Bradley said.
Alex Bradley, a sophomore linebacker at BAHS, couldn't stop gazing at his older brother.
"I am so proud because what kind of brother Archie has been to me," Alex Bradley said. "He's a man of God who shows where hard work can get you. Arch's been through a lot lately and he never quit being a brother to me."
Father, Charles Bradley, recalled friends in Muskogee predicting Archie Bradley's success.
"When he was 9 years old, people kept saying 'Archie's going to be in the big leagues some day,'" Charles Bradley said. "I would say, 'Oh, yea.' Now, today, he was a seventh round draft choice. We're real happy."
BAHS coaches and players toasted Bradley's high draft selection.
"This is outstanding for Archie," BAHS head coach Shannon Dobson said. "He was a joy to coach and just an outstanding kid."
Jimmy Ashley, who coached first base for the Tigers, admired Bradley's humility through a lengthy scouting process.
"If you didn't know Archie, or had been around all the scouts and attention, you would have never known what was going on," Ashley said. "Archie was very humble through it all."
Ashley concurred with Dobson on Bradley's coachablity.
"As a junior, Archie didn't hit very well and we worked on a few things," Ashley said. "He made the changes and got better. That happened because he's so coachable."
Bradley, mostly as a designated hitter, led the Tigers in home runs (9) and batted .395, while striking out 137 batters and carrying a 0.29 earned run average.
Mason Hope, another Tiger pitcher who could be drafted high, called Bradley "one of my best friends and I couldn't be happier for anybody."
(sorry it kind of lumped the story together when I copy pasted...but you can still make sense of it)

cantwait48
6/7/2011, 10:57 AM
he has a little brother, hmm

"When he was 9 years old, people kept saying 'Archie's going to be in the big leagues some day,'" Charles Bradley said. "I would say, 'Oh, yea.' Now, today, he was a seventh round draft choice. We're real happy."

7th pick overall dad, big difference

soonerchk
6/7/2011, 10:59 AM
Bundy was #4 in his texass gear. I'd be pissed if I didn't know the only reason he committed to them was to **** his brothers off. He knew he'd never actually play there.

Mad Dog Madsen
6/7/2011, 11:13 AM
A couple of OU/Texas guys...

http://kotv.images.worldnow.com/images/14850453_BG1.jpg

BillyBall
6/7/2011, 11:28 AM

He committed to play baseball and was going to walk on the football team. Not often you get an elite 11 as a walk-on...

PalmBeachSooner
6/7/2011, 02:45 PM
Well because he is/was committed to OU to play both football and baseball. I think he was technically committed to play baseball but would be some sort of higher up walkon/like an invited walkon in football or something like that.
But all the speculation that he would be drafted high in the MLB draft came true...so my guess is most people were correct when they said he'd never play either sport at OU

(Or were you joking with your post?)

Maybe Archie can come back to OU in a few years if baseball doesn't work out and be a 24 year old freshman like Brendon 'I Get My' Wheedon and Chris 'Touch My' Weinke were.

OU-HSV
6/8/2011, 09:56 PM
Maybe Archie can come back to OU in a few years if baseball doesn't work out and be a 24 year old freshman like Brendon 'I Get My' Wheedon and Chris 'Touch My' Weinke were.

It's always possible. We have a LB/DB in a similar situation currently, Londell Taylor.

#13 Londell Taylor
Class:
Freshman
Hometown:
Vian, Okla.
High School:
Vian HS
Height / Weight:
6-0 / 213
Position:
LB
High School
Originally a member of the 2007 signing class, will walk on the team after spending four years in the Detroit Tigers organization ... had 47 receptions for 1,171 yards with 16 touchdowns as a senior in 2006 ... also had 12 carries for 111 yards and one TD along with nine interceptions on defense ... had 21 receptions for 460 yards and six TDs along with nine carries for 145 yards and one TD as a junior ... was drafted in by the Detroit Tigers in the 13th round of the 2007 MLB Draft.

gaylordfan1
6/8/2011, 10:06 PM
.... Is rich

Partial Qualifier
6/8/2011, 10:06 PM
We have a LB/DB in a similar situation currently, Londell Taylor.

I didnt realize he'd walked on, that's awesome.

He was listed as 6'3" 213lb. coming out of high school :confused:

the-rover
6/8/2011, 10:11 PM

shrinkage?

OU-HSV
6/8/2011, 10:20 PM

Heh, funny how that works. High schools always seem to stretch people on their rosters don't they

OUmillenium
6/9/2011, 10:03 AM
Bradley not needed on the OU campus. Enjoy pro baseball and keep your distance from Norman. nuff said

BoulderSooner79
6/9/2011, 10:11 AM
Bradley not needed on the OU campus. Enjoy pro baseball and keep your distance from Norman. nuff said

Not quite "nuff" said. What has the kid done to be banned from OU?

stoopified
6/9/2011, 11:47 AM
Not quite "nuff" said. What has the kid done to be banned from OU?Just what I was thinking too.

northspeter
6/9/2011, 02:38 PM
millenium is butthurt because Archie and his BA team stomped all over millenium's Jenks team in baseball...

meandmybutt
6/11/2011, 09:15 AM
deleted

OUmillenium
6/12/2011, 06:38 PM
millenium is butthurt because Archie and his BA team stomped all over millenium's Jenks team in baseball...

Its the disrespect they showed while stomping...

Collier11
6/12/2011, 06:42 PM
Isnt the saying, if you dont like it then beat them?