PDA

View Full Version : Monday poll: Bud, Barry or Bob?

badger
6/6/2011, 10:21 AM
All three have a national title. All three names just kind of roll off your tongue and go together well. So... mirror mirror on the wall, who is the greatest one of all?

Bud Wilkinson:

Charles Burnham "Bud" Wilkinson (April 23, 1916 – February 9, 1994) was an American football player, coach, broadcaster, and politician. He served as the head football coach at the University of Oklahoma from 1947 to 1963, compiling a record of 145–29–4. His Oklahoma Sooners won three national championships (1950, 1955, and 1956) and 14 conference titles. Between 1953 and 1957, Wilkinson's Oklahoma squads won 47 straight games, a record that still stands at the highest level of college football. After retiring from coaching following the 1963 season, Wilkinson entered into politics and, in 1965, became a broadcaster with ABC Sports. He returned to coaching in 1978, helming the St. Louis Cardinals of the National Football League for two seasons. Wilkinson was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame as a coach in 1969.

Barry Switzer:

Barry Switzer (born October 5, 1937) is a former football coach, active in the college and professional ranks between 1962 and 1997. He has one of the highest winning percentages of any college football coach in history,[1] and is one of only two head coaches to win both a college football national championship and a Super Bowl (the other being a rival college head coach Jimmy Johnson.[2])

Bob Stoops:

Robert Anthony Stoops (born September 9, 1960) is the head coach of the University of Oklahoma football team. During the 2000 season, Stoops led the Sooners to an Orange Bowl victory and a national championship.

Prior to coaching at Oklahoma, Stoops held various coordinator and position-coach positions at Iowa, Kansas State and Florida. In 2000, Stoops led his team to three consecutive wins over ranked teams including Texas, Kansas State and Nebraska. Stoops was awarded the 2000 Paul "Bear" Bryant Award and the 2000 and 2003 Walter Camp Coach of the Year for "Coach of the Year."

Three days of voting, make your case! Is it about achievements, trophies, who had the most difficult era to coach in, who won the most, who did the most for Oklahoma and Oklahoma alone?

Anonymous voting, you can only vote for one, and you can't change your vote!

SoonerofAlabama
6/6/2011, 10:32 AM
I hate to go against Bud and Barry, who both did tons for the university, but I havfe to go with Bob. He has a national title and seven Big XII Titles. I know Bud and Barry have more titles and that Barry has the better record, but Bob is my guy. It is a hard pick because I just want to vote for all three, but in this case I had to go with Stoops. Nice poll badger. Great poll.

soonerchk
6/6/2011, 10:40 AM
Each one is a product of his time. Barry right now would be a disaster, as would Bob instead of Barry at that time in college football. If I have to choose one, it's Bud, simply because of The Streak.

We're damn lucky to be able to have this argument though. How many schools have 3 amazing options?

Sabanball
6/6/2011, 10:40 AM
I don't think you can compare the three--they all coached in different eras.

LakeRat
6/6/2011, 10:43 AM
I was about the first to open this. I still haven't voted. I am waiting to hear others arguments.

I initially took Bob out, b/c of the NC count.
Put him back in b/c of the consistency factor and no losing records. (5-7 would be considered a losing record) With some major adversity driven seasons that could have been disastrous. Also with the "parity" of college football. There is also a longer schedule and conference championship game now that wasn't around in the 50's.

I initially went with Bud based on the win streak. But went back to Barry b/c of the length of time he was dominate.

I have not voted and am going to listen to others opinions before making a vote.

badger

:D I bet if you did a similar poll on a Bammer board everyone would pick Bear Bryant. Actually if you did any poll, the choice would always be Bear Bryant.

Bear Bryant or Nick Saban? Bear Bryant.
Listening to Sweet Home Alabama or Bear Bryant? Bear Bryant.
Jesus or Bear Bryant? Bear Bryant.
Cake or death? Bear Bryant.

JLEW1818
Bob Barry
:D

i voted for the king

soonerchk
6/6/2011, 10:45 AM
:D I bet if you did a similar poll on a Bammer board everyone would pick Bear Bryant. Actually if you did any poll, the choice would always be Bear Bryant.

Well who are they going to put Bear Bryant up against? Dennis Franchione??

LakeRat
6/6/2011, 10:46 AM

Its the off season!! Lets have some fun.

oudavid1
6/6/2011, 10:48 AM
My grandad played for Bud. After all I have heard, its all Bud. No one else like him it seems.

TexasFight'69
6/6/2011, 10:53 AM
Interesting that in the bios of the 3 coaches in question, no mention of infractions were mentioned. Infractions which unquestionably cost Oklahoma recognition, bowl appearances, TV viewings, etc.

Of the 3 choices, Stoops has the least baggage

soonerchk
6/6/2011, 10:54 AM
Interesting that in the bios of the 3 coaches in question, no mention of infractions were mentioned. Infractions which unquestionably cost Oklahoma recognition, bowl appearances, TV viewings, etc.

Says the guy who's stadium is named after a Sooner.

LakeRat
6/6/2011, 10:58 AM

So your vote is based simply on the least amount of infractions? Don't want to get into an argument over which school has more and whose are worse. Would like to hear your legitimate thoughts and do welcome them as a non OU fan.

badger
6/6/2011, 10:59 AM

You try too hard.

PS: Very competitive voting so far.

oudavid1
6/6/2011, 11:00 AM

Hey TexasFight, who is a bigger program and more important to football

Ohio State or Oklahoma?

So your telling me that OU is as corrupt as all these other schools yet the NCAA just lets it go? So we are smarter than everyone else?

Didnt think so.

Here is another funny thing, you actually mentioned TV viewings....really?

Yep, you guys beat us in TV. Must be nice. Oh wait, you went 5-7. You have 4 national titles.

We have 7.

badger
6/6/2011, 11:02 AM
Hey TexasFight, who is a bigger program and more important to football

Ohio State or Oklahoma?

So your telling me that OU is as corrupt as all these other schools yet the NCAA just lets it go? So we are smarter than everyone else?

Didnt think so.

Here is another funny thing, you actually mentioned TV viewings....really?

Yep, you guys beat us in TV. Must be nice. Oh wait, you went 5-7. You have 4 national titles.

We have 7.

David you try too hard too :P

TexasFight'69
6/6/2011, 11:03 AM
Of all of Oklahoma's records, Bud's streak is the most impressive

OU has National titles, but other Universities have as many or more..

OU's 47-game winning streak will likely never be matched

badger
6/6/2011, 11:15 AM
It is apparent that people need more info to cast votes since this poll started off so divided. Here goes:

Bud:
14 Big Eight titles
3 National titles
6 bowl victories
8 bowl appearances
145–29–4 overall record
AFCA Coach of the Year (1949)
Amos Alonzo Stagg Award (1984)
Coached 17 years at Oklahoma

Barry:
12 Big Eight titles
3 National titles
8 bowl victories
13 bowl appearances
157–29–4 overall (college) record
Sporting News College Football COY (1973)
Walter Camp Coach of the Year (1974)
Coached 16 years at Oklahoma

Bob:
7 Big 12 titles
1 National title
6 bowl victories
12 bowl appearances
129–31 overall record
2000 Walter Camp Nat'l COY
2000 Paul "Bear" Bryant Award
2000 Home Depot COY
2000 AP Nat'l COY
2003 Walter Camp Nat'l COY

EDIT: In dishonor of our resident Texas troll:

Bob: 7-5 versus Texas
Barry: 9-5-1 versus Texas (3-0-1 against DKR)
Bud: 9-8 versus Texas ('58-'63 really sank this stat down)

tfoolry
6/6/2011, 11:19 AM
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk140/tfoolry/poster_2rbeaub3ow1.jpg

TexasFight'69
6/6/2011, 11:21 AM
Demographics play a roll here...

There are probably some OU fans who never heard Bud as a football broadcaster after his coaching days were over. Given his records and professionalism, he gets my vote.

Stoops gets second place, and Barry brings up the rear. Barry brought as much disgrace to OU as he did fame

rock on sooner
6/6/2011, 11:24 AM
It's too soon to have this type of poll. Bob's legacy isn't complete. Different
eras..two way players, platoon football, ten game seasons, eleven and twelve
game seasons, scholarship limits....each man was/is great in his time. We can
and should relish the facts of their greatness. It is interesting, though, to read
all the arguments!

badger
6/6/2011, 11:44 AM

Lol... actually, I was thinking any of their Walk of Champions coaches:

Additions were made to the exterior of the stadium with the Walk of Champions. Included in the Walk of Champions are five bronze statues, one for each Alabama football coach who has led the Tide to a national championship. Each statue has a wall behind it bearing the coach's name and the year(s) he led the team to a national championship. The first four statues, unveiled at its opening in 2006, included Wallace Wade, Frank Thomas, Paul "Bear" Bryant, and Gene Stallings. The fifth statue, that of Nick Saban, was unveiled prior to the A-Day game on April 16, 2011. The statue commemorates Saban guiding Alabama to its thirteenth National Championship with a 37 - 21 win over the Texas Longhorns.

If Dennis Fran Fran were to go up against Bear in anything, it would be like this:

Which is worse: The heart attack that killed Bear, or Dennis Franchione's letter to players/ website declaring "Accountability -- Loyalty -- Trust" hehehehe

KantoSooner
6/6/2011, 12:01 PM
Anyone of the three would be fine, really. It's too hard to weigh out the different eras, etc and make a clear judgement.

My heart has to go with Barry, though. Say what you want about him, the man had an infectious joy in the game that just made you happy to watch. That plus the fact that any team up on OU by less than 22 points or with more than 5 minutes remaining never relaxed with Barry as coach. The SOB could and did pull **** out at the last minute that was astounding. (one thinks, for example, of Woody Hays decent into madness as Uwe kicked the winning field goal AT OSU. A generation and a half later, I still have a 'Bwahahahahaha' moment everytime I see that clip.)

soonerchk
6/6/2011, 12:05 PM
Anyone of the three would be fine, really. It's too hard to weigh out the different eras, etc and make a clear judgement.

My heart has to go with Barry, though. Say what you want about him, the man had an infectious joy in the game that just made you happy to watch. That plus the fact that any team up on OU by less than 22 points or with more than 5 minutes remaining never relaxed with Barry as coach. The SOB could and did pull **** out at the last minute that was astounding. (one thinks, for example, of Woody Hays decent into madness as Uwe kicked the winning field goal AT OSU. A generation and a half later, I still have a 'Bwahahahahaha' moment everytime I see that clip.)

I took the question as who was the best coach, which is why I went with Bud. Favorite coach is Barry, and not even close. The man has more charisma than should be allowed. He just makes me smile.

badger
6/6/2011, 12:10 PM
You can vote for your favorite if you want. Likability is definitely important for a coach, especially at a big time football program. In general, losers are not liked. :eek:

SteelClip49
6/6/2011, 12:18 PM
Barry also liked black people unlike DKR.

TexasFight'69
6/6/2011, 12:36 PM
So, you are suggesting the former All American QB from Oklahoma was a racist?

Considering Texas was one of the 13 states to secede from the union, Jim Crow rules, et all.. I think the people and the state of Texas have figured out how to live together as well as the folks in Oklahoma have with the Native Americans...

Do the names Earl Campbell, Ricky Williams, Vince Young ring a bell?

badger
6/6/2011, 12:46 PM
Says the guy whose username includes '69, the last all-white national championship in college football, coached by none other than DKR :rolleyes:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/12/23/sports/23texas.650.jpg

What a distinction. :mack:

soonerchk
6/6/2011, 12:51 PM
So, you are suggesting the former All American QB from Oklahoma was a racist?

Considering Texas was one of the 13 states to secede from the union, Jim Crow rules, et all.. I think the people and the state of Texas have figured out how to live together as well as the folks in Oklahoma have with the Native Americans...

Do the names Earl Campbell, Ricky Williams, Vince Young ring a bell?

I don't think anyone said exactly that he was a racist. I do think it's fairly clear why he didn't stay at OU though.

tfoolry
6/6/2011, 12:51 PM
Yes, VY definitely appears to like black people.......
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_1fwmW31HC9o/TOqPXEbkgTI/AAAAAAAAEgU/qxS6s8oXz6I/s400/vince-young-meltdown.jpg

soonerchk
6/6/2011, 12:52 PM
Serious question - has texas won a MNC without a coach that had OU ties?

TexasFight'69
6/6/2011, 12:54 PM
Texas owes as much to "OU ties" as OU owes to Texas players

JLEW1818
6/6/2011, 12:56 PM

but i think there is a huge difference

we take players from texas, not UT. Aggies tech smu rice all have rights to these players. They are from texas, not UT.

Your coaches, ... meaning JUST UT, had previous OU coaching/playing experience.... DIRECT

soonerchk
6/6/2011, 12:56 PM

To the usual texas comeback, I say this:

Originally Posted by Wherr the Whorn
You can't help where you're born but you can decide where you go.

badger
6/6/2011, 12:58 PM

Texcuses, texcuses. broken records like "Texas players Texas players Texas players Texas players Texas players Texas players Texas players Texas players Texas players Texas players Texas players Texas players Texas players" need to be tossed in the garbage.

TexasFight'69
6/6/2011, 12:59 PM
Badger,

Give OU and Barry credit for recruiting black players. It's probably because he enjoyed their family history and wanted to see them get their college degrees. Probably had nothing to do with their speed, size and strength, and their ability to win him football games.

He was just smarter than the Texas coaches, but they finally figured it out :)

soonerchk
6/6/2011, 01:02 PM
Badger,

Give OU and Barry credit for recruiting black players. It's probably because he enjoyed their family history and wanted to see them get their college degrees. Probably had nothing to do with their speed, size and strength, and their ability to win him football games.

Oh hon, learn some Sooner history. Bud was the first OU coach recruiting black kids. Decades before texas stopped being lily white.

Cornfed
6/6/2011, 01:03 PM
5 and 7

LakeRat
6/6/2011, 01:05 PM
Badger,

A Texas fan saying Barry was smarter than Texas coaches. I like it!!!

Now if we can just get him to admit that we have a better tradition . . .

TexasFight'69
6/6/2011, 01:06 PM
Bud was the best coach, record wise, class wise and professional wise in OU history

Uh, did I mention Texas was part of the Confederacy?

Like it or not, support it or not, the fact that Texas won an NC with an "All white" team does seem to have some significance in sports history..

N' est pas?

TexasFight'69
6/6/2011, 01:08 PM
LakeRat

I suppose TEXAS is just lucky 59-41-5 :)

Cornfed
6/6/2011, 01:12 PM
LakeRat

I suppose TEXAS is just lucky 59-41-5

You said it not me....lol

badger
6/6/2011, 01:22 PM
Offseason must be ending soon --- a poll thread turned into a hate texas thread. Not complaining, it's kind of fun :D

Barry needs more votes... here you go!
http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/wp-content/imagescaler/6f42c535f241b6ee7b885f68f41da549.jpg

TexasFight'69
6/6/2011, 01:24 PM
Badger,

If you didn't have Texas to hate, you still have the wind, the state income tax and the noodling :)

soonerchk
6/6/2011, 01:25 PM
No one in their right mind hates noodlin!

Cornfed
6/6/2011, 01:30 PM
No one in their right mind hates noodlin!

Until you get a big old bruise from one of them suckers biting ya.

soonerchk
6/6/2011, 01:32 PM
Until you get a big old bruise from one of them suckers biting ya.

Scream and toss works for me.

Cornfed
6/6/2011, 01:34 PM
Scream and toss works for me.

I uaually have to shake a few times before the toss....lol

BoulderSooner79
6/6/2011, 02:02 PM
I saw that Texas is working on a law to make noodlin' legal. Late to the party, as usual. :P

TexasFight'69
6/6/2011, 02:16 PM
Nuttin' better than grabbing a 6-pack of okie 3.2 beer and jumping into a pond after a catfish...

Oh wait, I forgot about some real beer and The Texas coast :)

Osama Bin Laden
6/6/2011, 02:20 PM
Nuttin' better than grabbing a 6-pack of okie 3.2 beer and jumping into a pond after a catfish...

Oh wait, I forgot about some real beer and The Texas coast :)

Here's a fun fact. Minnesota has just as many national championships as Texas. In football.

SteelClip49
6/6/2011, 02:32 PM
Here's a fun fact. Minnesota has just as many national championships as Texas. In football.

Minnesota has 6 to UT's 4.

Minnesota technically leads the Big Ten with most recognized national titles.

JLEW1818
6/6/2011, 02:36 PM
how many teams won the national title in 1970?

Osama Bin Laden
6/6/2011, 02:39 PM
Minnesota has 6 to UT's 4.

Minnesota technically leads the Big Ten with most recognized national titles.

Thank you good sir. I stand corrected. Minnesota has 2 more national championships than Texas. In football. LOLZ

MichiganSooner
6/6/2011, 02:40 PM
I voted for Bob but Bud was very close in my mind. Bud had the winning streak. Bud taught me football-literally. I lived in Michigan but watched the game of the week. Bud spoke before every game about strategy and did the color, I think. He taught me about football just as I was starting to watch it at home at junior high games. My mom always talked about Bud and the Oklahoma Sooners even though we lived across the country.
I voted for Bob over Bud because of his accomplishments which have come during a different era that makes Bob's record even more amazing, in my opinion. Bob can have 85 scollies now. During Bud's era, he could recruit everybody. In those days and into early 70's-not sure of date, certain schools totally dominated due to the recruiting rules of the time. Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Penn State, Alabama, Texas, OU, Nebraska, USC, are some of the teams I can remember dominating football. In my part of country, all the good players went to M, ND, and OSU. They dominated most seasons. Guys who now start for MSU, Purdue, and MAC teams used to be backups for the dominant teams. Now the talent is spread out. All D1 teams get 85 schollies and Bob has been extremely successful with the new parity. Bob has only one national title but has been national runnerup 3 times losing in BCS. In my opinion, it is much more difficult for Bob to win national title because he has to beat the #1 or #2 team in the nation in a winner-take-all single game. Barry and Bud just had to win their games on the schedule and get the votes of the poll. Despite the wins and national titles, the team got into serious trouble during Barry's tenure so Bob gets vote.

Partial Qualifier
6/6/2011, 02:50 PM
I only witnessed Barry & Bob firsthand, but in my opinion it's Bud and not really close.

MsProudSooner
6/6/2011, 02:59 PM
Count me in as someone who hasn't voted yet. Bud was one of my childhood heros, but there was much less parity in Bud's era than there is now. As much as I idolized Bud, I think I might have to vote for Bob.

badger
6/6/2011, 03:05 PM
Badger,

If you didn't have Texas to hate, you still have the wind, the state income tax and the noodling :)

I just want to let you know that I heard you. And to that, I must end this argument once and for all:

RICK PERRY IS YOUR GOVERNOR.

You might not have income taxes, you might be legally allowed to steal all of Oklahoma's water and we'll continue stealing your state's football recruits. However, even your little brother aggie cannot stand the fact that:

UT may put a billion dollars in gold bars into some giant vault just because it can. Vince Young might earn the same degree from the same university that you did despite being dumber than a box of rocks. Wait... are you a box of rocks? ...REGARDLESS, even Vince Young is smart enough to know that it is not a good thing that:

You'll gain four Congressional seats through tons of illegal immigration. You'll fly your lone star flag at the same height as your American one, but even if UT only admits the top seven percent under the Texas Ten Percent rule:

Your governor is not George H.W. Bush. Your governor is not LBJ. Your governor is not Ann Richards. Your governor is not George W. Bush.

And before you bother googling dirt on our governor, she loves the highway patrol. Yes, we already know that. She is a she, yes, we already know that too. However, she is not your governor.

Nyah nyah.

TexasFight'69
6/6/2011, 03:11 PM
Quid pro quo..

How about your University President?

Care to discuss the reasons for his resigning from the United States Senate?

Best to back up my friend. I don"t think you want to go there

Flagstaffsooner
6/6/2011, 03:12 PM
Bud created it, Barry continued it, Bob restored it.

Bud

TexasFight'69
6/6/2011, 03:16 PM
:)

badger
6/6/2011, 03:30 PM
Quid pro quo..

How about your University President?

Care to discuss the reasons for his resigning from the United States Senate?

Best to back up my friend. I don"t think you want to go there

He resigned to become OU's president. We can make DINO jokes, we can make white bible jokes, we can make portly robust plump fat jokes. He's been a good for the university overall. And even after Boren retires from the public eye for good, you will still be stuck with the fact that:

TexasFight'69
6/6/2011, 03:37 PM
Yeah, you're right. David Boren resigned from his powerful position as Chairman of the Senate's Intelligence committee, 2 years into his elected term so he could become President of a University that wasn't remarkable for much other than it's football team..

Makes sense

JLEW1818
6/6/2011, 03:39 PM
5-7
IOWA STATE AND BAYLOR AT HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

badger
6/6/2011, 03:43 PM
Yeah, you're right. David Boren resigned from his powerful position as Chairman of the Senate's Intelligence committee, 2 years into his elected term so he could become President of a University that wasn't remarkable for much other than it's football team..

Makes sense

Uncle Dave is not in the best of health to put up with the stressful Senate position and every time you see him now he is smiling a lot because I really, truly think he is in his dream job. Haven't heard much bad spoken about him among colleagues or anyone really, except people that don't like paying rising tuition (it's a reality, they'll deal with it elsewhere if they won't at OU).

So yes, it does make sense. And yeah, if you don't like my Rick Perry references, I can always go the jlew route.

TexasFight'69
6/6/2011, 03:45 PM
I enjoy posting here and don't want to get banned. So, I will refrain from posting the smoking gun. Ever hear of google?

We can agree to just let the politics go and focus on football, ok?

SteelClip49
6/6/2011, 03:46 PM
how many teams won the national title in 1970?

Ohio State claims the NFF title but they lost their final game of the season, the Rose Bowl.

Texas, like Ohio State, lost the Cotton Bowl but was named champion by the UPI before the game so they are a recognized champion.

The other recognized champion is Nebraska which won the AP (11-0-1).

1970 belongs to Nebraska and Texas.

soonerchk
6/6/2011, 03:47 PM
I enjoy posting here and don't want to get banned. So, I will refrain from posting the smoking gun.

WTF ever dude. You can't win the football talk so you go to university president smack?

Turrible, just turrible.

SteelClip49
6/6/2011, 03:47 PM
I enjoy posting here and don't want to get banned. So, I will refrain from posting the smoking gun.

Yes and no. Because of the BCS and the history of major college football being decided by parity and voters, politics will always be factored in.

JLEW1818
6/6/2011, 03:49 PM
Ohio State claims the NFF title but they lost their final game of the season, the Rose Bowl.

Texas, like Ohio State, lost the Cotton Bowl but was named champion by the UPI before the game so they are a recognized champion.

The other recognized champion is Nebraska which won the AP (11-0-1).

1970 belongs to Nebraska and Texas.

i'm pretty sure we never claimed a national title after being awarded it, and then losing the bowl game, if another legit team had a better record?? ( i could be wrong). and even if we did.. All 7 of OUr national titles were backed up with the AP poll too. the most legit poll out there anyways.

The reason i don't give 2003 to USC, is because the conferences agreed on the BCS, not the AP poll

I give 1970 to Nebraska.

texas sucks

TexasFight'69
6/6/2011, 03:57 PM
[:)

TexasFight'69
6/6/2011, 04:00 PM
i'm pretty sure we never claimed a national title after being awarded it, and then losing the bowl game, if another legit team had a better record?? ( i could be wrong). and even if we did.. All 7 of OUr national titles were backed up with the AP poll too. the most legit poll out there anyways.

The reason i don't give 2003 to USC, is because the conferences agreed on the BCS, not the AP poll

I give 1970 to Nebraska.

texas sucks

Clever retort JLEW, I suppose you think insults improve your debating skills

Look up OU's "championships" check out those where OU was awarded a NC but banned from a bowl game. Check out getting a NC and losing a bowl game, Winning a NC but getting beat by Kansas

JLEW1818
6/6/2011, 04:01 PM
5-7 will never die

i don't care if we lose 3 games this year

5-7 will still make me smile every day

TexasFight'69
6/6/2011, 04:09 PM
It makes you "smile every day" because you are obsessed. You are obsessed because you hate. You hate because The University of Texas gets to you.

Ipso facto, we win

badger
6/6/2011, 04:19 PM
Ipso facto, we win

yet you still have a losing record and are thus bowl ineligible :P

TexasFight'69
6/6/2011, 04:23 PM
You have an amazing grasp of the obvious!

badger
6/6/2011, 04:29 PM
Speaking of amazing grasps:
http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/05/17/00/slideshow_1001754265_RBZ_UT_IOWA_STATE_06_5043127. JPG.jpg
Paul Rhodes after ISU defeats UT last season in Austin. Hook em

soonerchk
6/6/2011, 04:31 PM
Concerned security guy is concerned.

TexasFight'69
6/6/2011, 04:32 PM
Bad day in Austin, huh?

"5-7" may be the best thing that happened to TEXAS since that ou QB arrived

We shall know in the fullness of time

tfoolry
6/6/2011, 04:36 PM
It makes you "smile every day" because you are obsessed. You are obsessed because you hate. You hate because The University of Texas gets to you.

Ipso facto, we win

He smiles because whorns are funny.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/515994/texassicover_large.jpg

BoulderSooner79
6/6/2011, 04:37 PM
At least TexasFight'69 is not obsessed with OU and would never hang around and troll an OU message board.

ashley
6/6/2011, 04:40 PM
I don't think I could choose between these three men. Ever,

badger
6/6/2011, 04:40 PM
Bad day in Austin, huh?

"5-7" may be the best thing that happened to TEXAS since that ou QB arrived

We shall know in the fullness of time
Because you got rid of your worthless coordinator, right?
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/thujone/review13.jpg

Riiiiight :P

TexasFight'69
6/6/2011, 04:43 PM
Actually "5-7" was a conspiracy to get rid of Greg Davis :)

badger
6/6/2011, 04:57 PM
Actually "5-7" was a conspiracy to get rid of Will Muschamp :)

FIFY

TexasFight'69
6/6/2011, 05:04 PM
There were a number of "heated discussions" between Muschamp and Davis during last year's debacle..

The basis being Muschamp being sick of Davis' inept offense leaving his defense on the field all day...

Subsequently, Muschamp was offered the job from Florida which he couldn't refuse..the timing was perfect..

"5-7" forced Mack to do what he could not bring himself to do for years...get rid of Davis...

GKeeper316
6/6/2011, 05:09 PM
as much as i love the tradition, and bud and barry for contributing, i have to give the nod to bob for winning as much as he does in today's college football environment.

bud loaded his teams with the best talent in the nation and sat them on the bench, just so he wouldnt have to play against them.

barry broke a buncha rules.

bob does it with class.

SteelClip49
6/6/2011, 05:09 PM

I give 1970 to Nebraska.

texas sucks

In 1950...Oklahoma was 10-0 and awarded the AP and UP titles. The bowls were a reward for good seasons. Oklahoma then went on to lose the Sugar Bowl to Kentucky which was coached by Bear Bryant.

Kentucky and Tennessee went 10-1 that season as well but their losses were during the regular season. UK fans claim the 1950 title due to the fact they beat Oklahoma even after the national championship was awarded.

UK's only loss was to Tennessee. UT's only loss was to either Ole Miss or Miss State; forget which one. UK won the SEC over Tennessee because UK played more SEC games believe it or not. Tennessee finished higher in both polls than UK.

So, like Texas in 1970....OU had the same in 1950. Only difference is...both polls awarded the title before the bowl in 1950. In 1970, the AP awarded the title after the bowl and the UPI still (until 1973) named its champion before the bowl.

UT's title in 1970 is just as credible as OU's in 1950. Disregarding UT's title in 1970 is just lame no matter how much you hate Texas.

If you want to disregard a title then it should be USC's in 1974. They recorded a (10-1-1) record and won the UPI while OU's (11-0) won the AP. Yes OU was on probation but it wasn't done by the NCAA. Still, USC received a gift for 1974.

texaspokieokie
6/6/2011, 05:15 PM
It is apparent that people need more info to cast votes since this poll started off so divided. Here goes:

Bud:
14 Big Eight titles
3 National titles
6 bowl victories
8 bowl appearances
145–29–4 overall record
AFCA Coach of the Year (1949)
Amos Alonzo Stagg Award (1984)
Coached 17 years at Oklahoma

Barry:
12 Big Eight titles
2 National titles
8 bowl victories
13 bowl appearances
157–29–4 overall (college) record
Sporting News College Football COY (1973)
Walter Camp Coach of the Year (1974)
Coached 16 years at Oklahoma

Bob:
7 Big 12 titles
1 National title
6 bowl victories
12 bowl appearances
129–31 overall record
2000 Walter Camp Nat'l COY
2000 Paul "Bear" Bryant Award
2000 Home Depot COY
2000 AP Nat'l COY
2003 Walter Camp Nat'l COY

EDIT: In dishonor of our resident Texas troll:

Bob: 7-5 versus Texas
Barry: 9-5-1 versus Texas (3-0-1 against DKR)
Bud: 10-11 versus Texas ('58-'65 really sank this stat down)

Badgie;
you got Barry with 2 MNC.
also, you got Bud @ 10-11 vs tx,which is tuff, as he only coached 17 yrs. i think, (without checking) it's 9-8.

LakeRat
6/6/2011, 05:29 PM
LakeRat

I suppose TEXAS is just lucky 59-41-5 :)

Only people who don't understand tradition equate it with a record against one team.

Tradition =

1. 7 NC's
2. Most points all-time
3. Most wins since WW II
4. Most conference championships all-time . . .
5. 5 Heismans
6. 47 straight
7. NC back to back

Shall I go on?

badger
6/6/2011, 05:34 PM
Badgie;
you got Barry with 2 MNC.
also, you got Bud @ 10-11 vs tx,which is tuff, as he only coached 17 yrs. i think, (without checking) it's 9-8.

I think I included his assistant coach years. My bad. Barry has three - 74, 75, 85. I'll fix

texaspokieokie
6/6/2011, 05:35 PM
no big deal, a great poll.

bmrsnou
6/6/2011, 05:40 PM
Even though I'm pushing 40 and grew up during the Switzer era, and I totally love what Stoops has done, I voted for Bud. He is the man who built what we love today. Without Bud, we probably wouldn't have this thread, or maybe even this website. He is the man when it comes to Sooner football.

Barry was great, and I love him. Bob is also one of the best coaches in modern college football. But, if Bob wins two more NC's, I would possibly vote for him.

Osama Bin Laden
6/6/2011, 07:33 PM
It should be Wilkinson Field.

JLEW1818
6/6/2011, 08:12 PM
In 1950...Oklahoma was 10-0 and awarded the AP and UP titles. The bowls were a reward for good seasons. Oklahoma then went on to lose the Sugar Bowl to Kentucky which was coached by Bear Bryant.

Kentucky and Tennessee went 10-1 that season as well but their losses were during the regular season. UK fans claim the 1950 title due to the fact they beat Oklahoma even after the national championship was awarded.

UK's only loss was to Tennessee. UT's only loss was to either Ole Miss or Miss State; forget which one. UK won the SEC over Tennessee because UK played more SEC games believe it or not. Tennessee finished higher in both polls than UK.

So, like Texas in 1970....OU had the same in 1950. Only difference is...both polls awarded the title before the bowl in 1950. In 1970, the AP awarded the title after the bowl and the UPI still (until 1973) named its champion before the bowl.

UT's title in 1970 is just as credible as OU's in 1950. Disregarding UT's title in 1970 is just lame no matter how much you hate Texas.

If you want to disregard a title then it should be USC's in 1974. They recorded a (10-1-1) record and won the UPI while OU's (11-0) won the AP. Yes OU was on probation but it wasn't done by the NCAA. Still, USC received a gift for 1974.

good post, but like i said, we still finished with the same record as the other team. (didn't have a worser record)

didn't NEB just have a tie in 1970? compared to a texas loss

goingoneight
6/6/2011, 08:16 PM
In each of their own time, IMO, they're the best it gets.

Bud and Barry's recruiting tactics and NCAA issues surely wouldn't fly in today's game. It's hard to say if they'd be able to steer the ship successfully the way Stoops has. That said, does Stoops have the personality and creativity that would have won over some of the Switzer era recruits?

GDC
6/6/2011, 08:31 PM
Bennie should have been included in this poll.

BigTip
6/6/2011, 08:34 PM

LOL, pretty good. Reminds me of the skit from Saturday Night Live about d'Bears, and the super fans discussing Mike Ditka's invincibility.

I voted for Bud. He is what made Oklahoma Oklahoma. Bob might turn out to be the greatest though. Bob might turn into our Paterno and be the ONLY thing people think about 20 years from now. But at this time, Bud is "the legend" in my mind.

And hey, Barry is no slouch.

Yes, good poll.

65Mustang
6/6/2011, 09:28 PM
Bud, without a second thought.

He took a program that had achieved modest success and made it into a dynasty. He revolutionized college football with innovative offenses and defenses. The split T, the Oklahoma defense, platoon football, he perfected these and other aspects of the game, and made Oklahoma football a nationally recognized label. In addition, he had the foresight and influence to make OU a leader in the integration of college football at a time when the state needed positive pub in race relations (google Wilbanks Smith).

Bud was the Godfather of the program.

agoo758
6/6/2011, 11:47 PM

Gene Stallings. Still not close though.

SoonerofAlabama
6/6/2011, 11:54 PM
Because you got rid of your worthless coordinator, right?
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/thujone/review13.jpg

Riiiiight :P

badger, you just wanted an excuse to post a drawing, didn't you? :P

badger
6/7/2011, 10:32 AM
Bennie should have been included in this poll.

I would have, but I know that nobody would have seriously voted for him against Bud Barry and Bob. He's a great coach, yes, I'd just rather not have had someone with a "0" next to their name (or a 1 if someone just wanted to be different). Include him just to include him? That would be like including Tebow in the Heisman discussion his senior year, the year he had no chance of winning, or including Graham Harrell the year Sammie won it.

However, if you want to make your argument for Bernie over Bud Barry or Bob, we certainly have a nice lengthy discussion going here already :D

PS: Two days of voting left

PPS: That was a Thujone Shaggybevo drawing, not mine.

texaspokieokie
6/7/2011, 10:36 AM
i think that Barry shud be gettin more love on here.
record is better than Bob. oh i know, it was much easier to win in Barry's time.
:P

47straight
6/7/2011, 03:48 PM
Badger,

He was just not a racist like the Texas coaches.

FIFY, you who longs for the lilly white days of '69.

JLEW1818
6/7/2011, 03:49 PM
FYI Barry is hardcore democrat

Cornfed
6/7/2011, 05:21 PM
FYI Barry is hardcore democrat

I thought he was from Arkansas??

Peach Fuzz
6/7/2011, 08:25 PM
I know it looks bad for the 'cheating' or whatever people think of Barry, but personally, I think it was badass we had all that swag, cockiness, chip on the ol shoulder attitude. OU seemed like a wild west saloon back then..

I know it's weird, jmho

not very many universities have had a time where they were truly, the kings.