PDA

View Full Version : Pay yer Bill and get a disorderly Conduct charge

olevetonahill
6/6/2011, 09:17 AM
"After asking if they accepted cash, West dumped 2,500 pennies onto the counter and demanded that they count it. The pennies were strewn about the counter and the floor." - Keith Campbell

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=960&sid=15825147

TheHumanAlphabet
6/6/2011, 10:08 AM
I don't get this one. How is dumping legal tender on a desk Disorderly Conduct? They could refuse payment...

saucysoonergal
6/6/2011, 10:11 AM
I think I would demand a jury trial. No way a jury would convict him for paying his bill in pennies.

texaspokieokie
6/6/2011, 10:13 AM
the way i got it in the DMN, the pennies scattered & went everywhere. (redundant)
so it was kinda disorderly conduct. not like the pennies were in rolls.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/6/2011, 10:20 AM
the way i got it in the DMN, the pennies scattered & went everywhere. (redundant)
so it was kinda disorderly conduct. not like the pennies were in rolls.

Still, I fail to see how that is disorderly. The office could refuse pennies as tender, but that is about it...

texaspokieokie
6/6/2011, 10:26 AM
Still, I fail to see how that is disorderly. The office could refuse pennies as tender, but that is about it...

looked again in the DMN; "the pennies were strewn about the counter & floor".

also, separately, he was disputing the bill.

i guess you had to be there.

jkjsooner
6/6/2011, 10:57 AM
Here's my question, forgetting how the exchange took place, would they be required to accept pennies as payment?

I was just doing some reading on wikipedia and snopes and the idea that pennies above a certain amount are not considered legal tendor is an urban myth.

On the other hand, the idea of legal tender only really applies to payments to the federal reserve. Businesses are free to choose the payment method (whether it be dollars or goats) prior to agreeing to do business with a person.

But in this case this is a payment of a debt so there is already an agreement that US currency will be used to pay for the debt.

GKeeper316
6/6/2011, 02:06 PM
"disorderly conduct" is so subjective... its basically anything that pisses off a cop.