PDA

View Full Version : 67 Years Ago Today

sappstuf
6/6/2011, 09:06 AM
D-Day. Normandy

http://www.prdrsteve.com/Portals/0/Examples/d-day.jpg

http://www.ruggedelegantliving.com/a/images/d-day.landing.craft.jpg

http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Uploads/Graphics/245-0605100941-2007-06-06D-Day.jpg

TheHumanAlphabet
6/6/2011, 10:17 AM
YN2 (I think that is the rate) Edmond Swensen was there on LST 357 manning a twin 50-cal at battle stations.

Thanks Dad.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/6/2011, 11:15 AM
I had always heard they used condoms to cover the ends of the muzzles to limit the exposure to seawater.

Well, I look at that second picture above, and man, if those are condoms, they are HUGE.

But then again makes sense, given the enormous size of these mens' cajones!

God bless those service men, and all those before and after.

thecynic
6/6/2011, 11:30 AM
my son and I have been watching stuff about this off and on all weekend. (plus all the war movies on memorial day) was watching a documentary this morning. holy hell what they went through. words cannot do justice to the thanks these guys deserve

delhalew
6/6/2011, 11:33 AM
Talk about charging into a buzzsaw. Incredible.

OULenexaman
6/6/2011, 11:37 AM
yep.....this one could have been better planned.

The Profit
6/6/2011, 11:47 AM
It would have been smoother sailing if the skies would have been clear on D-Day,but another delay in launching the invasion might have given up the element of surprise (e.g. Normandy vs. Pas D' Calais). Had the skies been clear, German positions would have been pummeled with aerial bombardment, and parachute drops would have been made more accurately. As it turned out, we were able to prevail at Omaha by simply having greater numbers.

ouduckhunter
6/6/2011, 01:20 PM
Bless the brave soldiers of D-Day, and may they never be forgotten!

sappstuf
6/6/2011, 01:31 PM
D-Day trivia..

Who was the only general on D-Day to land by sea with the first wave of troops?

If you do not know, the answer will surprise you.

Some hints, he was 56 years old, had a variety of health issue, walked with a cane and died about a month later from a heart attack. He would get a Medal of Honor for his actions. His father was also a Medal of Honor receipient making them one of two father/sons combos to receive our highest military award.

Jammin'
6/6/2011, 01:50 PM
D-Day trivia..

Some hints, he was 56 years old, had a variety of health issue, walked with a cane and died about a month later from a heart attack. He would get a Medal of Honor for his actions. His father was also a Medal of Honor receipient making them one of two father/sons combos to receive our highest military award.

Louis "Red" Klotz?

JohnnyMack
6/6/2011, 01:54 PM
D-Day trivia..

Roosevelt?

sappstuf
6/6/2011, 01:55 PM
Roosevelt?

Clarification needed.

JohnnyMack
6/6/2011, 01:57 PM
Clarification needed.

Teddy Jr?

sappstuf
6/6/2011, 02:03 PM
Teddy Jr?

Correct!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e2/Ted_Cane_France.jpg

It is an interesting story on how he was the only general to land.

In February 1944, Roosevelt was assigned to England to help lead the Normandy invasion. He was assigned to the staff of the U.S. 4th Infantry Division. After several verbal requests to the division's commanding officer, Maj. General "Tubby" Barton, were denied, Roosevelt sent a written petition:

The force and skill with which the first elements hit the beach and proceed may determine the ultimate success of the operation.... With troops engaged for the first time, the behavior pattern of all is apt to be set by those first engagements. [It is] considered that accurate information of the existing situation should be available for each succeeding element as it lands. You should have when you get to shore an overall picture in which you can place confidence. I believe I can contribute materially on all of the above by going in with the assault companies. Furthermore I personally know both officers and men of these advance units and believe that it will steady them to know that I am with them.

Barton approved this letter with much misgiving, stating that he did not expect Roosevelt to return alive.

Roosevelt would be the only general on D-Day to land by sea with the first wave of troops. He was one of the first soldiers, along with Capt. Leonard T. Schroeder Jr., off his landing craft as he led the U.S. 4th Infantry Division's 8th Infantry Regiment and 70th Tank Battalion landing at Utah Beach. Roosevelt was soon informed that the landing craft had drifted more than a mile south of their objective, and the first wave was a mile off course. Walking with the aid of a cane and carrying a pistol, he personally made a reconnaissance of the area immediately to the rear of the beach to locate the causeways that were to be used for the advance inland. He then returned to the point of landing and contacted the commanders of the two battalions, Lt. Cols. Conrad C. Simmons and Carlton O. MacNeely, and coordinated the attack on the enemy positions confronting them. Roosevelt's famous words in these circumstances were, "We’ll start the war from right here!" These impromptu plans worked with complete success and little confusion. With artillery landing close by, each follow-on regiment was personally welcomed on the beach by a cool, calm, and collected Roosevelt, who inspired all with humor and confidence, reciting poetry and telling anecdotes of his father to steady the nerves of his men. Ted pointed almost every regiment to its changed objective. Sometimes he worked under fire as a self-appointed traffic cop, untangling traffic jams of trucks and tanks all struggling to get inland and off the beach.

When General Barton, the CG of the 4th Division, came ashore, he met Roosevelt not far from the beach. He later wrote that

while I was mentally framing [orders], Ted Roosevelt came up. He had landed with the first wave, had put my troops across the beach, and had a perfect picture (just as Roosevelt had earlier promised if allowed to go ashore with the first wave) of the entire situation. I loved Ted. When I finally agreed to his landing with the first wave, I felt sure he would be killed. When I had bade him goodbye, I never expected to see him alive. You can imagine then the emotion with which I greeted him when he came out to meet me [near La Grande Dune]. He was bursting with information.

With his division's original plan modified on the beach, the division was able to achieve its mission objectives by simply coming ashore and attacking north behind the beach toward its original objective. Years later, General Omar Bradley was asked to name the single most heroic action he had ever seen in combat, and he replied, "Ted Roosevelt on Utah Beach." Originally recommended for the Distinguished Service Cross by General Barton, the award was upgraded at higher headquarters to the Medal of Honor which Roosevelt was posthumously awarded on 28 September 1944.

Roosevelt's actions on D-Day are portrayed in The Longest Day, a 1962 film in which he was played by actor Henry Fonda.

I would highlight parts, but it is worth it to read the whole passage.

ouwasp
6/6/2011, 04:21 PM
An old fellow at my church was a 19 yr old landing with the Big Red One on D-Day. Still looks tough as nails. Said the Private Ryan landing scenes were pretty close. My Dad was 14 at the time... he remembers listening to the radio the whole day...

yermom
6/6/2011, 04:47 PM
i was subconsciously trying to duck under bullets in the theater watching Saving Private Ryan

i can only imagine the real thing

MR2-Sooner86
6/6/2011, 04:51 PM
My grandfather landed on Omaha, got the purple heart from it.

We got really lucky that day and most of the war. If Hitler wasn't sleeping and his generals too afraid to wake him, our boys would've had Panzer tanks waiting for them on the beaches. Not to mention him ordering those V1 attacks on London instead of the beaches.

Then we also can't forget Patton's 1st Army that was going to "invade" Pas-de-Calais and Normandy was the "distraction." Hitler bought that hook, line, and sinker.

GDC
6/6/2011, 04:52 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155093

ouwasp
6/6/2011, 11:24 PM
Another couple strokes of fortune: Rommel was back in Germany visiting his wife for her birthday, and most of the local Kraut commanders in Normandy were gathered for wargames, away from their units. :)

Bad luck: Allied intelligence didn't pick up on the new German division (352nd?)that had moved onto Omaha. And the DZs for the 82nd and 101st were missed badly in most cases. :(

And then there was Monty... planning to take Caen on D-Day. Please. It was way into July before the Brits took that city, if memory serves. Then Montgomery tried to play it like that was his plan all along... :rolleyes:

SoonerBread
6/7/2011, 03:10 AM
Those photos are awe inspiring.

GKeeper316
6/7/2011, 04:06 AM
yep.....this one could have been better planned.

what could have been better planned? the invasion of normandy?

GDC
6/7/2011, 09:00 AM
If you ever get a chance to see the actual beaches, Point du Hoc, Mer st Eglis, the cemeteries, etc., by all means go. Words cannot describe the emotional impact.

The Profit
6/7/2011, 09:24 AM
If you ever get a chance to see the actual beaches, Point du Hoc, Mer st Eglis, the cemeteries, etc., by all means go. Words cannot describe the emotional impact.

We went there two years ago, and I agree with you completely. I really enjoyed the museum at Caen, and the museum at the American cemetery. We rented a car instead of going on one of the tours. That gave us the opportunity to spend as much time at each place as we wanted to. Many times, we would tag along with a tour, and listen to the tour guide.

OrlandoSooner
6/7/2011, 09:58 AM
Another couple strokes of fortune: Rommel was back in Germany visiting his wife for her birthday, and most of the local Kraut commanders in Normandy were gathered for wargames, away from their units. :)

Bad luck: Allied intelligence didn't pick up on the new German division (352nd?)that had moved onto Omaha. And the DZs for the 82nd and 101st were missed badly in most cases. :(

And then there was Monty... planning to take Caen on D-Day. Please. It was way into July before the Brits took that city, if memory serves. Then Montgomery tried to play it like that was his plan all along... :rolleyes:

Yep. My grandfather was one of the glider pilots that lost his life that day.

Lawton4Life
6/7/2011, 10:09 AM
D-Day trivia..

Gen Cota over at Omaha beach did a lot of amazing things too. I wonder why he didnt get the MOH and just the Cross. The fighting was much more intense on Omaha beach vs Utah beach.

Not taking anything away from T. JR. We needed all the leadership in the world that day so we can sit here typing on a message board.

The Profit
6/7/2011, 10:17 AM
Gen Cota over at Omaha beach did a lot of amazing things too. I wonder why he didnt get the MOH and just the Cross. The fighting was much more intense on Omaha beach vs Utah beach.

Not taking anything away from T. JR. We needed all the leadership in the world that day so we can sit here typing on a message board.

Which high school did you attend in Lawton, and when did you graduate?

Lawton4Life
6/7/2011, 10:25 AM
Mac in 96

pphilfran
6/7/2011, 10:44 AM
Mac in 96

We have all three schools covered...Ike 71 for me...Profit was a Wolverine..73?

The Profit
6/7/2011, 10:48 AM
We have all three schools covered...Ike 71 for me...Profit was a Wolverine..73?

MsProudSooner
6/7/2011, 11:18 AM
We went there two years ago, and I agree with you completely. I really enjoyed the museum at Caen, and the museum at the American cemetery. We rented a car instead of going on one of the tours. That gave us the opportunity to spend as much time at each place as we wanted to. Many times, we would tag along with a tour, and listen to the tour guide.

I was there in November of 2010. We took day trip from Paris so we only got to see the highlights - the museum at Caen, Point du Hoc and the American Cemetary. No matter how many pictures of the area you have seen. it doesn't prepare you for the emotional impact. Walking on the path from the American Cemetary museum to the cemetary, you round a curve and there are the rows and rows of crosses. I would love to go back, spend a week in the area and do proper tours. It addition to the history, the countryside is beautiful.

Has anyone seen both the Caen museum and the D-Day Museum in New Orleans? Is it worth a visit?

texaspokieokie
6/7/2011, 11:38 AM
My wife has an uncle that landed the day after D-Day. he & 2 brothers fought in europe, including 2 of them @ the "Battle of the Bulge".
one died recently but 2 of the old-timers remain.

The Profit
6/7/2011, 11:41 AM
I was there in November of 2010. We took day trip from Paris so we only got to see the highlights - the museum at Caen, Point du Hoc and the American Cemetary. No matter how many pictures of the area you have seen. it doesn't prepare you for the emotional impact. Walking on the path from the American Cemetary museum to the cemetary, you round a curve and there are the rows and rows of crosses. I would love to go back, spend a week in the area and do proper tours. It addition to the history, the countryside is beautiful.

Has anyone seen both the Caen museum and the D-Day Museum in New Orleans? Is it worth a visit?

I have seen them both. Yes, the New Orleans museum is really well done.