PDA

View Full Version : I don't like the tone of this article

IndySooner
6/6/2011, 08:58 AM
http://normantranscript.com/sports/x1261855490/Sooners-might-be-a-changed-team-in-2012

First, let me say that I do like a few things. I think it's pretty obvious that Sunny knows who is good in the locker room and who he wants back. It's who most of us knew were in that position all year. Ogle, Bushyhead, Ross & Ellison are named specifically. Part of this is because he knows there's a good chance they're coming back. Part of this is because these are the guys that buy into, and aren't bothered by, his style.

He also talks about Seitzer, Buechele and Smith getting drafted high enough to be signed. We all knew that, too.

Don't be surprised if the rest of the team is pretty much turned over. My guess is he'll give the remaining guys the opportunity to commit to his style and if they aren't willing to do so, they'll be gone.

I like all of this. This needs to happen, in my opinion.

Here's what I don't like: He talks about the "new bats" constantly. He's going to build a team around the "new bats". What this tells me is he's trying to build a team for small ball. Look at the teams who have advanced so far in the regionals. NOT ONE of those teams plays that style of baseball. Every single one of those teams figured out how to score in bunches with the new bats. They don't give up outs. They go for big innings.

You can build a pitching staff with the new bats in mind. You can't allow the new bats to change the way you play offensively. No, you're not going to hit as many home runs, but you certainly can hit gaps, run aggressively on the bases and score in bunches.

He wants to build a program like Texas. He should be trying to build a program like Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, etc.

bcolston15
6/6/2011, 09:42 AM
Early on, the only guys I'd feel confident in saying won't be back are Cale Coshow, Casey Coyle and Drew Dahlberg.

I think it'll be very interesting to see how the position battles at catcher and the corner infield spots shape up.

I think Hunter Lockwood, an incoming freshman, has in the inside track (Assuming he isn't drafted too highly) on Tanner Toal.

Max White, given that he returns, probably will be given a good shot at third base. Tony Calhoun, a juco from Howard College will be in the mix as well.

First base is really wide open. Drew Harrison is only guy returning with experience there. They've signed a local kid from PCO but I can't imagine he'd come in and start from day one.

IndySooner
6/6/2011, 10:13 AM
Add Drew Harrison to that list. Not sure what Cody Reine's going to do. He's not going to get drafted high (if at all) but he's certainly not on the same page with Sunny.

TumbleweedDoom
6/6/2011, 10:57 AM
Harrison asked for his release and got it so he could transfer. Don't know if he officially pulled the trigger to leave, though.

IndySooner
6/6/2011, 11:18 AM
Harrison asked for his release and got it so he could transfer. Don't know if he officially pulled the trigger to leave, though.

I don't know either, but I'll be surprised if he doesn't.

bcolston15
6/6/2011, 11:33 AM
After seeing him on the mound and at the plate, it's easy for me to say I like his potential on the mound a lot more.

northspeter
6/6/2011, 04:17 PM
the excuse about the bat is ridiculous... our team has always been a running and bunting team... we just haven't done it as well as other clubs... we run ourselves out of innings more than any team i've ever seen...

Sooner11JK
6/6/2011, 10:29 PM
the excuse about the bat is ridiculous... our team has always been a running and bunting team... we just haven't done it as well as other clubs... we run ourselves out of innings more than any team i've ever seen...

Running and bunting weren't what got us through the Charlottesville super last year.

hvhurricane
6/6/2011, 10:35 PM
I don't like the tone of the article, either. We need to still try and hit for the gaps. I think we had one extra base hit in the post season. I don't care what kind of bats you are using, you have to be able to hit in the post season. I have said this for years. Pitching and defense will only get you so far in college baseball.

BTW, if he likes Ellison so much then why did he jerk him around all season long? He should have been our leadoff hitter from day one. He still batted for a good percentage, especially considering his spotty playing time. He got a bad rap for being one of the OF's who underachieved, but I don't think he was given a fair chance.

hvhurricane
6/6/2011, 10:38 PM
I don't know either, but I'll be surprised if he doesn't.

No offense to the kid, but he can't hit. He may hit in practice, but it doesn't carry over into the games. SG tried to force him into the lineup for two years and he couldn't get it done. His start against KSU in the Big 12 tournament was a joke. I wish him the best wherever he ends up, though.

bcolston15
6/6/2011, 10:54 PM
We didn't hit many balls in the gap because we didn't have any gap hitters.

Ross: Slap hitter
Ellison: Strikeout hitter
Bushyhead: Singles hitter
Ogle: Good power
Buechele: ???
Seitzer: Gap power
Eisenberg: Singles hitter
Casey Johnson: Some power
Mistich: Singles hitter
Max White: ???

The new bats killed us. It's not an excuse, it's a fact. Balls we hit to the gap (or further) last year found gloves all season.

hvhurricane
6/9/2011, 06:50 PM
The bats killed us because we never made the adjustment to start driving the ball instead of trying to lift the ball. We were trying to pull everything out of the park instead of taking the pitch and lining it into the alley. I know it is easier said than done, but our approach did not lend itself to success.