PDA

View Full Version : What's fun to do in Charleston, SC?

SunnySooner
6/5/2011, 07:02 PM
We're headed that way in a bit, we'll be there 3 or 4 days, staying downtown in the historic area. I've never been there--what's fun to do/see/experience? Restaurants? Bars/live music? Beaches?

Any info would be great, TIA!!!!!!!!

GDC
6/5/2011, 07:08 PM
http://www.francismarionhotel.com/

I stayed here, which was really nice and near the ocean. The conference I was at kept us very busy so I wasn't able to get out a lot. See Ship Shapes and some of the plantations are amazing.

hawaii 5-0
6/5/2011, 07:11 PM
Take an open carriage tour of the district.

Try to catch a Farmer's Market. Look for handwoven rice baskets.

A boat tour to Ft. Sumter is also educational.

Eat good Southern Cookin'.

5-0

Trump/ Beauregard 2012

C&CDean
6/5/2011, 07:14 PM
peem Homey. His beautiful wife is from there.

SunnySooner
6/5/2011, 07:24 PM
Thanks guys, good tips!

SoonerofAlabama
6/5/2011, 08:00 PM
I believe Travel + Leisure Magazine listed Charleston, South Carolina as the friendliest city in the United States of America.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/5/2011, 09:09 PM
Take the guided boat trip to visit Ft. Sumter. If your guide knows his shi*, he will point out where the Ashley and Cooper Rivers meet to form the Atlantic Ocean.

Sooner_Tuf
6/5/2011, 09:10 PM
I believe Travel + Leisure Magazine listed Charleston, South Carolina as the friendliest city in the United States of America.

You're fourteen and read travel & leisure magazine?

The best food is on the water I think. The downside being the water smells really bad. I can't remember the name (I'll try to find it when I'm not driving) but there is a place built on a zillion year old pier. Everyone there will know, everyone there told us we had to try it. It was fantastic.

There are lots of little cafes. Everyone we tried had some sort of specialty that was unique and really good. They know more ways to make grits with seafood than you can ever imagine. It's all good.

I don't care that much for golf but South Carolina is one of the few places that it is a must do. Lots of Championship courses that are every bit as good as Pebble Beach. I like to get my *** kissed and they will sure do it there.

It's a great place to spend time. Ive never had a bad day there.

SoonerofAlabama
6/5/2011, 09:26 PM
You're fourteen and read travel & leisure magazine?

I just skim it for the articles. ;)

hawaii 5-0
6/5/2011, 09:56 PM
Take some Skin So Soft, diluted, to put on to combat the NoSeeUms.

5-0

Trump/ Dirk 2012

SoonerofAlabama
6/5/2011, 09:59 PM
I thought it was NoSeeUms

hawaii 5-0
6/5/2011, 10:00 PM
I thought it was NoSeeUms

The penalties for not proofreading.........

5-0

Trump/ Bilbo 2012

Memtig14
6/5/2011, 10:02 PM
Shoot at yankees.

Sometimes it starts a hassle though.

VeeJay
6/5/2011, 10:04 PM
I don't care that much for golf but South Carolina is one of the few places that it is a must do. Lots of Championship courses that are every bit as good as Pebble Beach. I like to get my *** kissed and they will sure do it there.

It's a great place to spend time. Ive never had a bad day there.

I've lived here a little over a year now and these are some of the friendliest people I've ever been around. Even the multimillionaires I work for are pretty cool and down to earth.

My only bad experience is with a family of azzwipes that live across the street from us. But F 'em - they're from Ohio.

Okla-homey
6/6/2011, 06:40 AM
there is a Charleston app for iPhone. It's free, compliments of the Charleston Visitors Bureau.

Lott's Bandana
6/6/2011, 07:10 AM
Both my daughters were born there.

Eat, golf and enjoy a slower pace of lifestyle. Visit the market, Isle of Palms and get some South Carolina style BBQ. 82 Queen for supper one night at least.

stoopified
6/6/2011, 08:55 AM
Go to North Carolina?

stoopified
6/6/2011, 08:55 AM
East Carolina?

soonercruiser
6/6/2011, 11:02 PM
Take an open carriage tour of the district.

Try to catch a Farmer's Market. Look for handwoven rice baskets.

A boat tour to Ft. Sumter is also educational.

Eat good Southern Cookin'.

5-0
Trump/ Beauregard 2012

<This!>

And, maybe walk the street & shops - lots of cool stuff.
Maybe drive out to Isle of Palms and wade for sand dollars.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/7/2011, 07:31 AM
Be sure and eat at Taco Bell.

If you don't put Wal-Mart at the top of your priority list of places to visit, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Swing by Home Depot if you get the extra time.