PDA

View Full Version : Kelvin (not Kellen!) Sampson update (Pistons job)

nighttrain12
6/5/2011, 04:45 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aq1mzdvrA0YUgha3DGlY17a8vLYF?slug=aw-wojnarowski_pistons_fire_john_kuester_060511

That guy couldn't obey the rules at 2 different colleges. Hell, he could sorta commit the same rule violation in the NBA. Recruiting players still under contract with another team.

OhU1
6/9/2011, 09:25 PM
Go Calvin Simpson!

I wish him the best. I don't get the repeat violation, but it's not like the guy was handing out cash or doing a Nixon style cover-up like Tressel.

badger
6/10/2011, 07:56 AM
Are you serious, Kelvin. Argh. He never seemed like a bad guy or a rule breaker. In fact, he seemed the opposite :(

NormanPride
6/10/2011, 08:01 AM
Empirical evidence would suggest otherwise. Like a bouncer "suggests" someone leaves a club with his fist.

badger
6/10/2011, 08:54 AM
OK, so let me rephrase --- Jim Tressel, with his religiousness and sweatervestness didn't seem like a coach to let kids break rules if it meant winning a few more games.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZnC4RTkRKR0/TZJRzcg6NgI/AAAAAAAAAI4/jNXmdU9OkCs/s1600/978-1-4143-3728-9.jpg

Kelvin also had that vibe about him, that he genuinely cared about his players, hosting them regularly with "Remember the Titans" screenings, and that he genuinely cared about the way basketball was meant to be played --- with tons of grit and by the rules.

:(

fwsooner22
6/10/2011, 12:02 PM
Don't ever forget how it went down......The drunk who nearly killed a women and child driving drunk and his pill popping son turned Sampson in for making phone calls. I hate what Sampson did but things happen for a reason. Those two got what they deserved too.

Scott D
6/10/2011, 04:46 PM
Bad fit

oumartin
6/10/2011, 04:57 PM
I thought Mark Jackson already got a gig

nighttrain12
6/11/2011, 12:30 AM
I thought Mark Jackson already got a gig

The Warriors. It sounds like Kelvin is 1 of 2 finalists for the Pistons job.

MsProudSooner
6/13/2011, 12:43 PM
If he could build a team with his kind of players, he would be very successfull. The problem is that there don't seem to be very many guys in the NBA w/ no ego and who are actually willing to be coached, not coddled.

badger
6/13/2011, 01:25 PM
If he could build a team with his kind of players, he would be very successfull. The problem is that there don't seem to be very many guys in the NBA w/ no ego and who are actually willing to be coached, not coddled.

Sure there are --- imports from Europe :)

MsProudSooner
6/13/2011, 01:52 PM

Or maybe Americans who never played AAU ball. ;)

Scott D
6/13/2011, 07:19 PM

I got two word for that

Darko Milicic

Scott D
6/13/2011, 07:20 PM

I have a feeling that Kelvin and Kelvinball will be much like PJ Carlisimo and his NBA coaching career. This is definitely the wrong roster to put Kelvin in charge of.

badger
6/15/2011, 11:23 AM
I got two word for that

Darko Milicic

Fact: Darko won a ring his rookie season.

even if he didn't play at all like bron bron drafted before him and carmelo drafted after him

btw, any update on Kelvin?

Scott D
6/15/2011, 06:15 PM
Fact: Darko won a ring his rookie season.

even if he didn't play at all like bron bron drafted before him and carmelo drafted after him

btw, any update on Kelvin?

Darko didn't win a ring, Darko was given a ring..then again with the generosity of Mr. Davidson (God rest his soul) there were mid-level pencil pushers for the Pistons who got a ring.

Kelvin is supposed to be in town this week for his interview. But, the Pistons also got permission to talk to Mavs assistant Dwayne Casey. Kelvin's one of 6 guys up for the job as of right now....allegedly they wanted Mark Jackson before he got the Warriors gig.

the_ouskull
6/16/2011, 01:43 PM
Kelvin's being looked at, or at least contacted, for almost every NBA head-coaching job that comes available. He's going to be a head coach in the NBA. Surrounded by the right people, (assistants, etc..) I think he'll be a d*mn good one. Just like he was a d*mn good coach here.

the_ouskull

JRAM
6/16/2011, 11:32 PM
Some of you idiots need to realize that if OU still had Sampson, we would still be winning. He was/is a class guy who used his phone a bit much. Hope he gets the Pistons job.

SoonerPride
6/17/2011, 10:40 AM
NBA games that are 60-57 won't fly.

Sampson was a good coach, but watching his teams play was like watching paint dry.

His style worked well when we were outmatched, as it kept the games close. But when we had superior talent he refused to let the team run and score at will.

He absolutely took the FUN out of the game.

the_ouskull
6/17/2011, 04:21 PM
NBA games that are 60-57 won't fly.

Sampson was a good coach, but watching his teams play was like watching paint dry.

His style worked well when we were outmatched, as it kept the games close. But when we had superior talent he refused to let the team run and score at will.

He absolutely took the FUN out of the game.

You're new.

I've disproven this on this board before; especially in comparison to the recently-departed. Feel free to search for it, or at least do the homework yourself, rather than just spout off the same things you've heard over-and-over until you accept them as fact.

the_ouskull

Scott D
6/17/2011, 04:53 PM
I know where you're coming from skull, I just don't see Kelvin as a good fit with this team as it currently sits. The only team that is probably more petulant than some of this Pistons roster would be either the Heat or Knicks. At one point I thought he would have been a good choice to succeed Pop down in San Antonio, but I'm convinced that Pop will be there forever.

bigfatjerk
6/18/2011, 07:26 AM
You're new.

I've disproven this on this board before; especially in comparison to the recently-departed. Feel free to search for it, or at least do the homework yourself, rather than just spout off the same things you've heard over-and-over until you accept them as fact.

the_ouskull

The only reason I see some tiny bit of truth in these and similar statements is in comparing to Billy Ball. But nobody scores a lot compared to Billy Ball anymore except for Virginia Military Institute. They've led the NCAA in scoring for like 6 straight years.

the_ouskull
6/27/2011, 03:09 PM
I know where you're coming from skull, I just don't see Kelvin as a good fit with this team as it currently sits. The only team that is probably more petulant than some of this Pistons roster would be either the Heat or Knicks. At one point I thought he would have been a good choice to succeed Pop down in San Antonio, but I'm convinced that Pop will be there forever.

1 - Brandon Knight, Will Bynum
2 - Richard Hamilton, Ben Gordon, Rodney Stuckey
3 - Tayshaun Prince, Austin Daye, Tracy McGrady (giggle)
4 - Chris Wilcox, The Alien, Jason Maxiell, Jonas Jerebko,
5 - Greg Monroe, Ben Wallace

With the kind of person Kelvin is, and the kind of coach he is, the vets are going to be more likely to respect him. He takes charge. Also, we know that he works well with younger players, as seen in Brandon Jennings' praise of Kelvin. Now, with someone taking skilled young players like Austin Daye and Greg Monroe (and Knight) and making them tougher; making them play harder - hungrier on defense, they could put together a pretty decent team defense really quickly. Imagine a starting five of Knight, Stuckey, Daye, Jerebko, and Monroe. That's a scrappy-as-sh*t lineup right there. I mean, they're basically the Cavs from last season, but they're scrappy.

Now, add in the vets that come along for the ride, and you've got a decent team after all. They're not the 2004 Pistons. The names you DO remember are all eight years older, and that's a career for basketball players. (Yeah, you, Ben Wallace...) But the if younger players can learn (good and bad - it's up to the coaches to sort it for them) from the vets, and from the coaches long enough for Detroit to get some good, young talent in there, then there's a chance. No, he would NOT be walking into an ideal situation, but he wasn't walking into one HERE, either, and that turned out okay.

the_ouskull

badger
6/29/2011, 10:05 AM
They haven't hired anyone yet have they. Waiting for the lockout?

Scott D
6/30/2011, 02:51 PM
Mike Woodson is back in town for a second interview.

nighttrain12
7/2/2011, 09:07 PM
Oh hell, its all a moot point now as there won't be NBA basketball for at least another year.

Ruf/Nek7
7/2/2011, 09:23 PM
Oh hell, its all a moot point now as there won't be NBA basketball for at least another year.
Does that mean Mavericks are NBA Champions again next year?

badger
7/3/2011, 10:10 AM
Does that mean Mavericks are NBA Champions again next year?

I know I'm claiming the Packers as Super Bowl champs till there's another Super Bowl that they don't win :D

Serge Ibaka
7/4/2011, 05:23 PM
I hope that Kelvin gets the job.

Is it weird that I still like the guy a lot despite his repetitive cheating?

badger
7/5/2011, 12:09 PM
Nah, tons of people still like Barry Switzer and he just kind of jokes about his NCAA violations now, given the absurdity of some NCAA rules :D

And yeah, go Kelvin. I can't hate a guy for sports related reasons forever. I'm even starting to not dislike Favre for his traitorous ways anymore :P

bigfatjerk
7/12/2011, 03:36 PM
Apparently he's going to the Rockets as the top assistant

coachroesch
7/19/2011, 11:11 AM
Speaking of Kelvin.......I am looking for a recorded copy of the College Gameday broadcast from Jan. 28th, 2006. That was the game where #24 Sooners beat the #4 Longhorns 82-72! Can anyone help me out?

Jason Alexander
7/19/2011, 12:55 PM
Nah, tons of people still like Barry Switzer and he just kind of jokes about his NCAA violations now, given the absurdity of some NCAA rules :D

Yeah but Switzer can thank Bob Stoops for that. If OU was still as bad at football as they were in the 90s, some people may not of been so quick to forgive.